Team-BHP - Scoop: Corolla Axio?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Scoop: Corolla Axio? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/103688-scoop-corolla-axio.html)

Just saw this car at the SV Petrol pump. The Driver would not say anything except "Japan ki Gaadi hai." And the person sitting at the back stoically refused to answer any questions. As far as I knew, the Axio is marketed here as the Altis. but this did not look like any Altis I've ever seen. Can anyone shed some light?

Scoop: Corolla Axio?-29062011057.jpg

Scoop: Corolla Axio?-29062011058.jpg

Scoop: Corolla Axio?-29062011059.jpg

Scoop: Corolla Axio?-29062011060.jpg

Looks like the 10th generation Corolla launched in Japan in 2007, called the Corolla with the suffix "Axio" (to denote the sedan version), while the suffix "Fielder" denotes the stationwagon model.

The Axio is smaller than the Altis, and is referred to as the JDM 2007 Toyota Corolla. The current Indian Corolla might be the USDM Corolla.

This should shed some more light on the differences - 2007 Toyota Corolla Axio launched in Japan

Looks more like an striped down version of the corolla . Was it an diesel or Petrol ? The interiors look all black .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fortuner71 (Post 2411187)
Looks more like an striped down version of the corolla . Was it an diesel or Petrol ? The interiors look all black .

Diesel. It was filling up on the Hi-Speed variant.

A 2007 model? :eek:

I doubt its India-specific.

1. Thumb-rule: sneak previews of new launches are more probable around the company's main production factories. In this case, Toyota - based outside Bangalore, more likely will be caught testing future launches around that area.

2. The Corolla is sold as the Axio in some markets. In India, the "Corolla" branding has been quite powerful even before Toyota came to India - something that Toyota India has utilized.

It doesnt look like any test mule ! No temp registrations even, and the badges are left clear. Could I ask what is the badge on the right side of the boot? And looks like it has the smart key, I see a black box on the driver handle which usually locks / unlocks the car when you have the smart key in the pocket. Now when I assume this feature to be on the top end, I see the rims are plain steel wheels and not alloys !!

Ive seen many Axios in Delhi. They belong to the embassies here and in fact i remember i saw an axio based on the current Altis way before its India launch. Its basically an Altis which is shorter due to smaller bumpers and some cosmetic treatment.

Looking from the snaps, it does share quite a lot of resemblance to the Altis.
The interior view is not very clear, but you can clearly see a similar layout to the Altis. Even the materials and colours used are the same.

Considering the new face lifted Corolla Altis has been launched very very recently, I don't think anything is cooking at Toyota. And since I feel the Altis looks better, I wouldn't be bothered about the Axio :D

It does not have a registration plate, so obviously is the real thing (as in test vehicle pior to registation) if it was just an import for an jap official it would have a registration no.

Now test vehicles need not have the final rims, infact most of the time they have just the basic steel rims. Also test vehicles can at times be for testing an engine variant.

Corolla is not a name that Toyota will pay around with in India, Maybe this is being tested for a specific new engine or some other mechanical aspect, that comes as default with the Axio abroad.

Seems to be they were testing the engine or somewhat, the Axio is too JDM, and we get the USDM versions from both Toyota and Honda(Corolla,Camry,Accord)
Otherwise the only explanations is it maybe a consulate vehicle.