Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2011, 12:18   #1
BHPian

2011 Touareg Spotted. EDIT : Launched at 58.5 Lakhs

Overdrive has spotted the 2011 Touareg doing test runs around Pune. I like the new look compared to the old one, looks masculine though it shares the similar look like the new VW's in the market.

2011 Touareg Spotted. EDIT : Launched at 58.5 Lakhs-touareg.jpg

Quote:
We have captured images of the new Volkswagen Touareg on testing rounds in Pune. The 2011 Touareg is a second generation model that made its debut last year. It is a completely different car from the one we have on sale now.
It sports a similar front face to other new VW cars in keeping with the company’s new design language. The car’s lines are more modern, dynamic and overall the car looks more muscular than its predecessor. The new 2011 Touareg is roomier, more powerful, more efficient and lighter than the current generation available here. The model we spotted testing had a V6 TDi badge on the rear. This SUV is expected to be launched in August this year.
Source: Volkswagen Touareg spotted testing - Volkswagen Touareg spy pic - News : Overdrive
Old 1st July 2011, 12:46   #2
BHPian

Re: 2011 Touareg Spotted In Pune !

I somehow dont like this trend , of using the same looks on all the models . If you see the Beamers , Audis , and now the VWs , all share more or less same faces . I dont understand the logic behind it . Are they running out of ideas ?
Old 1st July 2011, 13:02   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
I somehow dont like this trend , of using the same looks on all the models . If you see the Beamers , Audis , and now the VWs , all share more or less same faces . I dont understand the logic behind it . Are they running out of ideas ?
Cost Cutting !!! Parts can be shared with multiple model.
Old 1st July 2011, 13:05   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

So we can expect this kind of HL's on Vento and Polo soon. Really liked this when I saw on the Passat but now got bored since this is coming onto all VW models. Hope they would come up with something better soon.
Old 1st July 2011, 13:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
Cost Cutting !!! Parts can be shared with multiple model.
Wrong. There is no cost cutting involved in this. You cant use Touareg headlamps or bumpers on a Polo and vice-versa (or interchange parts on any VW models apart from Polo-Vento). Same for BMWs, Audis and Mercs.

They all look similar for that family look which everybody is after. Reasons? I got two.

Brand instantly recognisable - Family look means any vehicle from that manufacturer can be recognised as a vehicle from that manufacturer.

Desirability - Lower end model looks similar to the most expensive model. (Passat-Phaeton) So the owner of lower end model doesn't get left out. Not sure how the owner of the higher end model would feel though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
So we can expect this kind of HL's on Vento and Polo soon. Really liked this when I saw on the Passat but now got bored since this is coming onto all VW models. Hope they would come up with something better soon.
Polo is available with similar dual-parabola blacked-out headlamps internationally, though not in India for cost reasons.

Last edited by designersf : 1st July 2011 at 13:16.
Old 1st July 2011, 13:26   #6
BHPian

This Model will be launched in 2012 near Diwali only as per my information.
Old 1st July 2011, 13:35   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The car looks so weak in its new avatar ! SUVs are supposed to be butch and this one looks like a shy guy ! I don't know whats wrong with VW ! Trying to make cars in the same genre [hatches / sedans / coupe / SUV] is fine, but the same look for all genres is an absolute no-no for me.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 13:57   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I haven't seen such reaction to any other brand, ever, be it bmw/audi/RR/bentley.., but for VW quite regularly and frequently of late. Family look is good brand building, provided it's a good one. I think VW grille is so plain jane, boring and dull, given the segments they are playing.

Last edited by 2cents : 1st July 2011 at 13:59.
Old 1st July 2011, 14:34   #9
Team-BHP Support

I actually liked the new look of the Touareg. Even though it looks a bit like a fat Golf, this car have more character.
Pictures does not do much justice. It’s a much better looker in flesh. But the sore point is, there is no 3rd row available, even as an option.
Old 1st July 2011, 14:50   #10
BHPian

I for one would like to see a SUV interpretation of a mustang or a camaro , those cars , even though they are cars , look absolutely BUTCH .

As swiftnfurious said SUVs are supposed to look butch , VW got it wrong , even the golf and polo look like angry lads but they messed up with this .
gautamkhadse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 15:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
I think VW grille is so plain jane, boring and dull, given the segments they are playing.
Also, it is little out of tune from the current trend in styling. Cars in the 80s had the grill running from headlamp to headlamp. current trend is to have the grill have it's own boundary/definition. There is always a 'land' (body colored metal part) between lights and the grill.
Old 1st July 2011, 23:22   #12
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Here's one more pic. The taillamps are the same as the ones on the new Passat! Thankfully this doesn't have DRL's like its cousins- the Cayenne & Q7.
Attached Thumbnails
2011 Touareg Spotted. EDIT : Launched at 58.5 Lakhs-tou.jpg  

Old 2nd July 2011, 00:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

The new touraeg is 180 kgs lighter compared to previous touraeg and uses the same platform as the new cayenne.
Old 2nd July 2011, 00:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

actually VW and Porsche co developed this platform from the very beginning. So the very first touareg also shares the same platform as cayenne.

As far this new model is concerned. they made it look very cheap. cost cutting i guess.
Old 2nd July 2011, 08:18   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I for one would like to see a SUV interpretation of a mustang or a camaro , those cars , even though they are cars , look absolutely BUTCH .

As swiftnfurious said SUVs are supposed to look butch , VW got it wrong , even the golf and polo look like angry lads but they messed up with this .
It actually looks much better in flesh. But yes, a very gentleman-like SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
actually VW and Porsche co developed this platform from the very beginning. So the very first touareg also shares the same platform as cayenne.
That's right. Even the Audi Q7 shared the same platform I guess.

Most Viewed