Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2011, 13:05   #106
BHPian

Re: June 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
While the Vento & Polo are doing respectably well, the former simply isn't maximising the market potential. The Vento's diesel is the best in class and the sedan is one of the few all-rounders in the segment. 2.5K for the Vento is strictly average market performance, considering the product potential, while the Polo's 2.6K in the volumes-laden hatchback segment is nothing to write home about either. Clearly, Volkswagen needs to do more on the marketing & distribution front.
I am quite surprised by the Verna's sales being much higher than that of Vento. I expected Vento to be at least equal in sales, if not better, than Verna. I found Vento to be the best car for enthusiasts whereas Verna's main appeal is that it's fully loaded. Guess that's what sells in the market as most of the buyers couldn't care less about car manners at 120 km/h. It's the word "fully loaded" which turns them on.

Another negative point against VW is their sparse dealer and service network. A relative of mine opted for Hyundai (i20 over Polo) for this factor alone.
Old 5th July 2011, 13:58   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for your observation and points. As some of the fellow bhpians rightly said, the classification is quite tricky and painful and also will tend to invite a lot of criticism. I have chosen the simplest way for segmenting the cars - how a common man sees these cars and what options do these compete to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
Especially the B+ and premium hatchbacks categorisation(The punto and Swift are premium hatchbacks if you really look at the prices. Swift because swift vdi abs is quite expensive(it is not fully loaded also) and still it sells in huge numbers proving that the people are prepared to pay a premium for that car).
First of all, we cannot look at the top most variant of these cars and judge whether they are premium or not. I understand some of those fall into the premium HB range, but I would rather look at "where" does the prices start for these cars and "how" are they placed in the market or how common people perceive these cars to be. Also we need to see that there is only a cumulative sales number provided for each model and there is no trim wise figures to categorize the top end versions into other segments. Similarly even if we consider Punto 90 HP to be a premium car, there is no separate data for 90HP alone, all we have is the cumulative figures for Punto as a whole.

Quote:
Also the entry level sedans (from 5 lakhs-exfactory most of the cars there start below 5 lakh. the exception being fiesta which starts around 5.5 even after the price cut).
We always need to see some range of prices + how the cars are positioned. So entry level sedans start as low as 3.76L or so for an Indigo CS, but we cannot categorize it as a hatch back. Again the cumulative numbers play spoil sport. The C segment "starts" @ 6.5L which is 1L more then the Classic Fiesta which made sense to me to classify the vehicle as entry level sedan [Ikon has been discontinued and Fiesta has been priced near this segment for the same reason]. Once the new Fiesta is launched, its again going to be tricky how do you place this car unless there is a break up [Classic + NFS] in sales figures which most probably will not happen. I might need to take a call looking at the sales numbers [understanding that the Classic sells 1.5K odd and NFS price may start from 7L onwards]

Quote:
The 7 lakhs segment is again incorrect because atleast for the linea and SX4 the prices start much below 7 lakhs especially if you consider the dealer discounts.
Ex Showroom Delhi prices.[I did capture all "possible / available" car prices from the respective official websites before segmenting the cars]

Linea price starts @ 6,51,684/-
SX4 price starts @ 7,00,006/

Disclaimer:: I completely agree that this is NOT a fool proof method since we don't have break ups of each variant and I have tried to keep the segmentation as simple as possible, looking at the cars & its competition overlooking the technical aspects. I really appreciate the feedbacks since it helps me to think & learn something which I don't know. My responses are no way personally attacking, but trying to bring out my point of view.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th July 2011 at 14:02.
Old 6th July 2011, 00:12   #108
Senior - BHPian

Why is the Thar not selling. Is it the non availability of an AC and a hard top both factory fitted.
Shocked to note that even the DI version is not moving.
Any idea about the exports.
Old 6th July 2011, 01:48   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Why is the Thar not selling. Is it the non availability of an AC and a hard top both factory fitted.
Shocked to note that even the DI version is not moving.
Any idea about the exports.
I guess Thar would get classified under the "Soft-top" category and get included in the last item under Mahindra: "ST + Maxx + Marshal". It may not have been declared separately.

And you are right; the AC + Hardtop would definitely improve the prospects of the model.
Old 6th July 2011, 08:41   #110
BHPian

I just came across an article in The Hindu today morning stating the spurt in Audi sales.
The report says : "Audi, the German luxury car manufacturer, posted an encouraging half-yearly sales performance with 2,802 cars delivered in India from January-June, marginally short of its 2010 annual sales of 3,003 cars, a growth of 100 percent. According to a release, sales of cars in June this year stood at 408 against 233 cars in the corresponding period in the previous year."

Pretty good considering the number of cars they sold in the same period in the previous year. But in April, the Audi sales stood at 480! Lets wait for the Merc and BMW numbers.
Old 6th July 2011, 09:01   #111
Senior - BHPian

Just heard the ad on FM radio today morning that the Honda Jazz starts are Rs 6.5 lacs & the Honda City at Rs 7.5 lacs. Does this mean that they have slashed the prices of even the Jazz? Can someone please share what was the earlier starting price of Jazz?
Old 6th July 2011, 09:13   #112
GTO
Team-BHP Support

*Update*

Renault added to the opening post.

Quote:
Renault

Fluence : 290
Old 6th July 2011, 10:10   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I find the Yeti's market performance very peculiar; it's amongst the best urban SUVs on sale in India, extremely well-engineered, versatile, packed to the gill with high quality parts and is easy to drive. Still, the Indian buyer doesn't seem to have taken to its small dimensions (for the price) & presence (we all need our SUVs to be brash & imposing, perhaps??).
Well said. It ain't that imposing. Brash may be a little harsh. The test shots along with the Nano prove that evidently.

Last edited by dkaile : 6th July 2011 at 10:11.
Old 6th July 2011, 10:17   #114
Senior - BHPian

Where are those ~8K Bolero going in India? It is surprising and matter of appreciation also for Mahindra for such consistent high volume sales of Bolera MoM YoY.
Old 6th July 2011, 10:31   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Where are those ~8K Bolero going in India? It is surprising and matter of appreciation also for Mahindra for such consistent high volume sales of Bolera MoM YoY.
Bolero is a very popular vehicle in rural India.The high GC makes it easy to drive on rural roads.The high sales volumes includes institutional orders from various govt organisations as it is a vehicle of choice with wide Mahinda service network.

Mahindra Bolero is available in seven variants - GLX, SPORTZ, DX, DI, XLS, XL, INVADER, and CAMPER.
Old 6th July 2011, 10:43   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Bolero is a very popular vehicle in rural India.The high GC makes it easy to drive on rural roads.The high sales volumes includes institutional orders from various govt organisations as it is a vehicle of choice with wide Mahinda service network.

Mahindra Bolero is available in seven variants - GLX, SPORTZ, DX, DI, XLS, XL, INVADER, and CAMPER.

Add to that rugged nature,serviceability anywhere and decent mileage figures, it's replacing Ambys in every government offices and departments across Kerala.
But in their website there is nothing said about the Invader and Camper and you can see the Maxitruck only in the company corporate site.
Yet i see brand new Invader cop cars,so it can't be phases out too.
Old 6th July 2011, 11:15   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post

But in their website there is nothing said about the Invader and Camper and you can see the Maxitruck only in the company corporate site.
Yet i see brand new Invader cop cars,so it can't be phases out too.
These models must be build to order for mainly institutional/Govt supplies.

Even AP/KN has a decent number of Invader cop cars.
Old 6th July 2011, 11:26   #118
Senior - BHPian

Decent numbers for fluence considering that renault had to start afreash!
Old 6th July 2011, 12:22   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Just heard the ad on FM radio today morning that the Honda Jazz starts are Rs 6.5 lacs & the Honda City at Rs 7.5 lacs. Does this mean that they have slashed the prices of even the Jazz? Can someone please share what was the earlier starting price of Jazz?
In April, the Jazz Select version (the middle version) costed Rs. 7,48,278 ex-showroom PCMC.

Not sure if there was a difference of 1 Lac between mid variant and the starting variant.

If the middle version is now the lowest version and 6.5L is the ex-showroom price - then we are talking!

(But then really, all the discounts would not be there - and the prices will still remain the same :P)
Old 6th July 2011, 13:04   #120
Senior - BHPian

- From the data posted by swiftnfurious the Aria's performance doesn't seem too bad. It has outsold all competition bar Fortuner in April and June. Aria had two really bad months in between, but some production issues were cited. Yes, there might be a cheaper version now available, but I guess it still costs upward of 13L OTR - not exactly cheap.

- Fluence at 290 for June has probably outdone Kizashi's total sales since its launch!

- Corolla Altis is interesting. It was an undisputed leader when it had only a petrol version. The launch of the diesel was supposed to consolidate that position. But, since the launch of the diesel, it has gone from 1st to 3rd in its segment.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed