Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy Korean CRDi or German PD?
I'll buy the Laura come what may. 16 66.67%
Bring on the Korean! I'll take 130 bhp, thank you very much! 8 33.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2006, 13:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Laura PD or Sonata CRDi ?

Yesterday I understood how boring the internet really is. Spent the whole day trawling many other auto sites that have been neglected by me, because I couldnt get my daily auto fix.....

Came across this article on the BSM website on the new Sonata CRDi. The Sonata has reportedly been previewed with the VGT version of the 2 litre engine on the Elantra/Tucson and it now pumps out 130bhp and 30kgm of torque.

This version of the Sonata will allegedly make it to India in August.

So would you put your money on the Sonata Diesel or a Laura PDI, assuming you had a budget of upto 18 lakhs (which is what the Laura costs) and were looking for a comfortable D-Segment Diesel Sedan???
Old 9th February 2006, 13:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

would like to see the features the car comes with here first.

Considering it has the same feature set like the Laura - tempted as I am to go with the Hyundai , I will opt for the Octy - majorly for the DSG and a korean cant give me the balance between ride and handling like an european car.

ps - Steer add another choice - I like Korean cars but this time i'll take the European one. will make me feel less guilty

Last edited by normally_crazy : 9th February 2006 at 13:39.
Old 9th February 2006, 13:40   #3
BHPian

Depends on a lot of factors , for me the pricing, power, mileage all make an impact. What to you mean by your poll, do you mean to imply that the diesel sonata will have a bhp of only 130?! bit confused here please clarify??
Old 9th February 2006, 13:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman
do you mean to imply that the diesel sonata will have a bhp of only 130?! bit confused here please clarify??
Thats what BSM says on their Website, which is pretty much what the 2-litre motor pumps out in VGT form. The Laura's PD motor pumps out 105 bhp and 250 nm in comparison.

They also have a 2.2 litre 150 PS engine, but I doubt that will come to India unless they launch the new Santa Fe (unlikely again, given the volumes).

For the sake of the poll, lets assume that the Sonata comes in its current guise (trim and features, i.e).

Last edited by Steeroid : 9th February 2006 at 13:52.
Old 9th February 2006, 13:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai should put in the stonker of an engine that they have in the terracan into the sonata- 165 bhp am 33 kgm of torqu!!!!!- who needs to change gears with so much torque?

between the Laura nd sonata, the sonata any day man! those regal looks and the fact that it is at least 1/2 size up on the laura seal the issue. Plus the new sonata is not bad to drive, infact it is a better drive thatn the accord.

Cheers

Himanshu
Old 9th February 2006, 14:01   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I clicked option no.1, but I dont go with the reason that you have stated in the poll. I would pick up the Laura and NOT because I hate korean cars (quite the contrary, actually)

I recently drove the New Sonata, and was not impressed with its driver experience and road manners. Forget the Laura, I would pick the old Octavia over the New Sonata - I only self-drive and how a car feels is very very high on the priority list.

GTO
Old 9th February 2006, 14:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
I would pick up the Laura and NOT because I hate korean cars (quite the contrary, actually)
Please change the options accordingly, then.

How're the plans coming along, by the way?????
Old 9th February 2006, 20:21   #8
BHPian

If BSM says 130 bhp for the 'foreing' model, we indians cant expect to get more than 115.

I wud pick the skoda...simply for looks and european badge.
Old 9th February 2006, 21:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Sorry Ritik, but doesn't look like diesels are downrated for India anymore.

Anyway, my vote is reserved for the Accord 2.2 i-CTDi. 138 bhp. 340 Nm. And the two most important words, Kenichi Nagahiro.
Old 9th February 2006, 21:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

not a big fan of korean stuff so the Laura is the car for me....
Old 10th February 2006, 01:32   #11
BHPian

Its a tough choice to make .. I personally like the embera and love Skodas ,but everything depends on the pricen of the crdi .. we all know the crdi is one up on the PDs but if HMIL dare price it anywhere close to the laura then i am afraid its out of reckoning ..
I wont pay more than a lac for that crdi over its petrol sibling ..Give me the embera crdi for 16 L onroad and i would go for it ..but at 18 .. NO .

Having said all that ,if Skoda India decides to bring in the base/elegance version of the Laura(which i am sure ,they 'll preety soon) and price it in the region of 14 L, then its bye bye to the crdi embera ..

Coming back to the Q ,If crdi too is priced at 18ish ,then i would choose none and go for the tried and tested old Octavia(seems likely) and enjoy with the rest of money and maintain a healthy bank balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
a comfortable D-Segment Diesel Sedan???
steeroid, i dont think the laura should be considered as a comfortable D segmen sedan, Its neither comfortable for 3(at the back) nor a proper D segment car ..
Old 10th February 2006, 02:06   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

No-Brainer....Laura anyday!
Old 10th February 2006, 16:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

I would go for Laura anyday, just for the remarkable driving pleasure it offers...

By that time hope we will have Laura 2.0 TDI PD, pumping out 140BHP...
With fuel economy of 18.2 km/ltr (company figure) this car will rip apart the competition.. provided Skoda follows a more sane pricing strategy!
Old 10th February 2006, 18:08   #14

I would definitely go for the laura. Amazing looks and great build quality. I would really need a lot of pushing to buy a korean car priced over 10 lakhs anyway.
Old 10th February 2006, 18:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

The Skoda it will be for me. I know that the Hyundai comes with its own strengths, but as Beemer put it, I think it will be the price in the end. Even then, I am kind of hooked onto the Skodas.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks