Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2006, 16:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
I'm struggling to see Fiestas on the roads. To date, I have seen maybe ten or fifteen, if that many. The car seems to be a complete dud, and with Ford's ASS and beautiful and enthusiastic dealers, I don't wonder why.
Let me know how many you see a month from now.....they had delivery issues as have been discussed elsewhere but they have started coming in.

And, since I see a lot of this statement lately.....what is a good number of Fiestas on the road? Does it prove anything if we see 10 of them or a 1000 ? We are not talking about a low cost car liike the 800 to prove that its a bad deal if only 10 are visible on the roads? Are the dealerships flooded with cars and there is a zero waiting period and no cars on the road? To me, that would be an indicator more than anything else.

And I'm sure you are talking from some personal experience when you say the car is a complete dud, perhaps you could share with all of us?
Old 28th February 2006, 02:36   #17
BHPian

You guys are mad at Hyundai coz they are comparing themselves to Fiesta and accent?????

In the US, there is a TV ad for hyundai azera running, where the car is being compared to a BMW. and not just any BMW, they are comapring it to the 760i.

Talk of optimists.
Old 28th February 2006, 02:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritik123
In the US, there is a TV ad for hyundai azera running, where the car is being compared to a BMW. and not just any BMW, they are comapring it to the 760i.
I think you may be slightly mistaken there - the Azera has been openly targetted at the likes of the 3 series, not the 7 series.

They've still got the positioning wrong in that segment, though - they keep talking about the most car for your money (more car per car???) while that is not an issue in the market they seek to address. See HERE

Last edited by Steeroid : 28th February 2006 at 02:50.
Old 28th February 2006, 03:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
there is a TV ad for hyundai azera running, where the car is being compared to a BMW. and not just any BMW, they are comapring it to the 760i
Yea I have seen that advt here in Canada too. If I remember correctly, the advt claims that the car has more rear leg room then the BMW 7 series.
Old 28th February 2006, 19:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I think you may be slightly mistaken there - the Azera has been openly targetted at the likes of the 3 series, not the 7 series.

They've still got the positioning wrong in that segment, though - they keep talking about the most car for your money (more car per car???) while that is not an issue in the market they seek to address. See HERE
They are comparing it to the 760i. As Amit mentioned they say the Azera has more leg room than the 760.
Old 28th February 2006, 19:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritik123
They are comparing it to the 760i. As Amit mentioned they say the Azera has more leg room than the 760.
Comparing the legroom is not the same as comparing the vehicle - its more of a reference point to drive home their advantage. It helps put things in perspective.

What they compare it to will be the segment that they're aiming at, and the specifications they offer will decide which end of that segment they're targetting. This would also be evident from the sales talk that the chaps give you on the shopfloor. Here they're aiming at the E-class/5-series segment, as is evident from their sales talk about the vehicle's positioning. The funny part is that the chap changed to 3-series while discussing the interiors and E-class while discussing safety features.

Here's what Automobile.com had to say about the Azera :

The Azera arrives on the scene loaded to the gills with everything but the proverbial kitchen sink. Active headrests and front, side and curtain airbags are all on the list of standard features, while an electronically heated windshield, bi-xenon headlamps and navigation system are optional.

Although the car was launched in Europe, offering such continental necessities as evocative styling and a diesel powerplant, its biggest export market is expected to be North America. Generally speaking, buyers here are less fussy about what badge is on the grille of their vehicle, taking other factors such as reliability and value into account, two of the major reasons why Hyundai has been so successful over the past few years.

You can read the full review at Automobile.com

Automobile.com again compares the Azera to other cars and says this:

Add that to an unbeatable 120 month/100,000 mile powertrain warranty, and its easy to see why so many people opt for Hyundai. Though unannounced, pricing will probably reflect Hyundais reputation for affordable cars; expect the Avalon-sized Azera to be sold for Camry V6 money.

Should we rant at the reviewers for comparing it to an Avalon and a Camry, too? Arent they just putting words in perspective so that the reader is able to visualise what they're talking about?

And finally, it is impossible to sell a product without comparing it to competitors. I personally dont see what all the fuss is about them comparing an Accent with the Fiesta - they are fighting in the same segment, at the end of the day. As for the legroom, would it make sense for them to compare the legroom in an A340 business class seat or to that in another automobile? Come to think of it, it is free advertising for the Beemer if people tend to use it as a benchmark........

If you go through Philip Kotler's Marketing Bible, you will find references to several such comparisons amongst products. Many of your highly-regarded brands have done it too. Its not as if Hyundai invented this comparison thing.

And to put matters at rest, this is what Business Week had to say about Hyundai's evolution through the Azera:

"It beefed up the suspension and streamlined the design. And the car's cabin is roomier than the Avalon, the Mercedes-Benz (DCX ) S-Class, and BMW's 7 Series."

Last edited by Steeroid : 28th February 2006 at 20:17.
Old 28th February 2006, 20:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

I had a chance to check out the Azera inside out at the Toronto Auto show and the car really impressed me. The build quality was impressive (not in Euro territory but impressive among Korean and Jap products) and the interiors were awesome. I loved the dash and feel of the insides. As much as the Azera impressed me the new Accent turned out to be a flop show.

I have close to 100 pictures from the Auto show which I will be putting up soon.
Old 28th October 2009, 14:54   #23
BANNED

I remember the TAta Ads which compared the indigo Xl with a mercedes and were saying that the legroom was much more .. I thought the ad was funny

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks