Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2006, 16:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya
What I meant to say was that if the Amby should go, there are many other cars which, I feel, have no place on our roads either.
Very true. I am no Amby fan, but I guess it is better to let the market decide the fate of a car. Once there is not enough demand to keep manufacture viable, it will die of its own. Just the fact that some car has been around for a few years is not reason enough to phase it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
For me all Ambassadors (okay old man, except yours) should be forced off the roads because they are an impediment to other traffic. Amby drivers insist on hugging the fast lane (where available) or sticking to the middle of the road (where multiple lanes are not available) in order to try and overtake something ahead of them that is so obviously faster and more nimble.
Steeroid, is this not more like a people trait than anything to do with cars ? I mean, I see guys even in latest/greatest cars doing this in Chennai. Even when there are 2 clearly marked lanes, there are guys that straddle both, thereby not allowing you to overtake from either side. And all this when there is no one in front of them. Should we blame the Amby for this ?
Old 10th April 2006, 17:11   #32
BHPian

I don't mind the amby at all. In fact, I think it is much tougher than many of our Japanese or Korean cars that are light and fuel efficient, but have bodies that start rattling long before an amby does. So, if HM guys would get all the mechanicals and electricals replaced with modern up to date equipment, this car would run for quite a few years more. If you look at utility, sleek aerodynamic shapes are of little use in our potholed, narrow and congested roads.
Old 10th April 2006, 17:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

What a misconception!!! I wonder who started all this about Japanese and Korean cars being unreliable while Ambys are just completley trouble-free.....

I love Amby, Yes. Even though it is outdated and all that, it characterised the roads just 15 years ago, along with the M800.
Old 10th April 2006, 18:03   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
What a misconception!!! I wonder who started all this about Japanese and Korean cars being unreliable while Ambys are just completley trouble-free.....

I love Amby, Yes. Even though it is outdated and all that, it characterised the roads just 15 years ago, along with the M800.
Without trying to start another fight, I would just like to point out that amby's have been running around for 20-25 years without too much trouble and without proper service centres while I do not see my 800 surviving that long though I regularly take it to only one authorised service centre. While our newer cars are all very solid technically, their bodies do not (or perhaps are not built to) survive two decades.
True, the amby does give trouble almost at the drop of a hat unless maintained with utmost care, but on the other hand, spares are dirt cheap and mechanics extremely easily available at low cost.
Old 10th April 2006, 18:50   #35
BHPian

I guess the Amby has served its duties well. It is a very good car in the Indian conditions, but with freeways coming up and the infrastructure getting the big boost, the Amby is getting outdated now. It is feeling out of place in this age. Don't get me wrong here, i still swear by the rear-seat comfort of the Amby, And the Amby was THE car that i learnt my first driving lessons on, but Major design and performance changes will be needed to market the Amby. It is fast becoming an antique in its own right and will be remembered for its record of the highest number of sales for the largest duration of time..

But arguing for the Amby in todays automobile arena is akin to arguing for Sourav Ganguly in the Indian team. They were both great in the "not-so-distant" past, but now its time for them to hand-over the mantle to the next-gen cars and cricketers.

Enuf Said..

Last edited by man23ish : 10th April 2006 at 18:56.
Old 10th April 2006, 19:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Most of them have malfunctioning brakes, leaky engines and worn out clutches. Feeling all warm and fuzzy about these things is fine when you're typing out words on the PC, but how many of you havent cursed that stupid cabbie up ahead who blurs your vision with his thick black smoke and hogs the road while planning an overtake manouvre on a truck that is only slightly faster than him?
The problem with cars that depreciate a lot is that people who can barely afford a 2-wheeler start buying them just because they soo cheap and can't spend money on maintenance. You you end up with a car with even slower reflexes endangering everybody on the road.

THe car itself is OK, but you're not going to find guys like Rudra who lovingly maintain it.

Last edited by Mpower : 10th April 2006 at 19:02.
Old 11th April 2006, 21:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

well watever we still have a Amby classic 5g mpfi bought 2 years back is running quite fab. Being a petrol version has good power feels much solid than some of C segment cars and u get a sofa at rear plus tons of nostalic value and some red tape sarkari thing
Old 11th April 2006, 21:20   #38
Senior - BHPian

The future of Amby will be in developed countries like England where they use Amby like rickshaws. There is good export demand for the crap. People import it to keep it in motoring meseums.......
Old 11th April 2006, 21:50   #39
BHPian

a little ot but there was a piece in bs motoring mag's anniversary issue about future of cars and they said something about an ambassador hybrid. back on topic now i personally think hm should just sell as many mitsu models as possible an scrap the amby. although if they bring back the conty as a muscle car kindof thing, it might sell well
Old 11th April 2006, 22:00   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins
well watever we still have a Amby classic 5g mpfi bought 2 years back is running quite fab. Being a petrol version has good power feels much solid than some of C segment cars and u get a sofa at rear plus tons of nostalic value and some red tape sarkari thing
Hey agspins, how about writing a review of your Amby MPFI with pics. would like to find out how this workhorse is surviving in todays times.
Old 12th April 2006, 12:34   #41
Senior - BHPian

sure bud will post a review with pics . but will take time as its with my father.wenever at home will do that
Old 12th April 2006, 16:39   #42
BHPian

One day i would like to buy a an old one paint it in navy blue, add lot of chrome where ever applicable, add rims/ wheels which look like cycle wheel spocks, all shiny, improve the interior and drive it around town/city. It will sure turn a lot of heads and be very comfortable for the family too. Just an opinion - who needs great handling cars in cities now -a -days. In hyd one will be able to cover 18 - 22 kms in an hour on an average. Offcourse, i already have a new generation car to satisfy my revving needs. The amby i am dreaming of would be for the city.

But, the ones running like a steamer/ coal engine with all black smoke, something needs to me done to them. What? lets take a vote on that.... jus kiddin.
Old 12th April 2006, 17:30   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta

guys check this beauty i saw at cst.....
i just feel like weeping at her beauty!

Frank where did you take the pics of this beauty ?? Was it at the Times Of India bld paking lot ???

Cheers Ed....
Old 17th May 2006, 17:37   #44
BHPian

Well well how could I missed it for such a long time.

Amby will be here chugging along, untill some car with as comfortable backseats arrive, Well Indica managed to a good extent. Believe me I have customers In calcutta, who would never hire any car if all the Amby's have been booked for the day. ( That poor fellow had been thrown around in the back seat of a 8 seater VAN previously)

Sure some of you have been in calcutta, correct me if I am wrong, GTO did went to calcutta, so he must have seen the roads with tramlines in between. I never slow down on these roads, as I am sure nothing will happen to Amby or the person in the rear seat.

With any other car i would have slowed down considerably so as not to bent the front suspension.

To replace amby a car also needs loads of road clearence. Indica fails here. I managed to scrape quite a few bumps in the road in the INDICA, on my way to Digha, a sea beach nearby.
While with an ambassador I had ventured into places where only tractors dared to go. I was charged, trying to impress my freinds on a picknic trip.

Yes I do remebered the first time I drove it. Man it takes a good yank at the steering to change the general direction and more than enough pumping to slow her down. though the newer cars are better in this regard
Old 18th May 2006, 08:33   #45
BHPian

How about the 1.5L diesel with 37 hp. Isn't that a joke?
It'll take atleast a minute to reach 100 kmph.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks