Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2006, 14:12   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri
How about the 1.5L diesel with 37 hp. Isn't that a joke?
It'll take atleast a minute to reach 100 kmph.
Actually, it never touches 100 KMPH. It doesn't usually touch even 80 KMPH, except when going downhill! It's a pretty reliable car though and can be repaired even in the smallest towns. I happened to be driven in one for several days in remote areas of Rajasthan and had a good time in it.
Old 19th May 2006, 12:18   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection
Actually, it never touches 100 KMPH.
But about the 80 I am not convinced, I have personally done around 90 in the speedo, but it becomes angry at that speed. Like a kind of revolt. But with the newer 1800 ISZ petrol and 2000 ISZ diesel even 120 is achievable, but not recomended.
Old 29th March 2007, 23:26   #48
BHPian

dear bhpians,
We are using an ambassador matador diesel for the last twelve years. It has covered over 350000 kms without any major complaints or engine overhauling. We were planning to dump it but after buying a new vehicle we have started to love this again as this vehicle can be taken out with peace of mind. any new vehicle owner will find it very uncomfortable to take his vehicle in rush hours especially in indian conditions where everybody 'obeys; traffic rules. This(amby) is the best vehicle to negotiate city roads.
Old 30th March 2007, 04:08   #49
Senior - BHPian

how about 80 mph (128 kph) in an old Mk.1 with a blueprinted Matador diesel engine and 3.8 rear axle ratio? That wasnt scary at all especially with someone who's raced these cars for 25 years.
Old 30th March 2007, 07:03   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
The future of Amby will be in developed countries like England where they use Amby like rickshaws. There is good export demand for the crap. People import it to keep it in motoring meseums.......
That market is too small to really justify producing it. Before thinking of how to keep the Amby alive or anything HM should first concentrate on Mitsubishi which is the only place it can have a future.
Old 30th March 2007, 09:30   #51
BHPian

hey guys,i think the road transport division should come up with specific safety standards and maintain a quality control, regarding vehicles thats comes out on the road,like they have abroad,if the amby passes those tests i think it would ok to have ambys on our roads.not just the safety features regarding braking or sharp edges on the exteriors alone but the quality of the products used inside too, for eg the switches or[ like some 1 mentioned that opening even an ashtray can cut your fingers,]these things too should be looked into.but then our goverment..... so dont know when these things would turn to a reality.
Old 30th March 2007, 09:40   #52
Senior - BHPian

Did you guys know that HM makes about 300 ambassadors a month and 20 Lancers per month ?
Old 30th March 2007, 10:01   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Did you guys know that HM makes about 300 ambassadors a month and 20 Lancers per month ?
It actually managed to sell around 6,809 units during Apr-Oct last year. Higher than most Lower-D segments cars except for Civic.
Old 30th March 2007, 11:19   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hindustan motors is currently facing a strike.

www.equitybulls.com - Your One Stop Shop for Financial Services !!!

Closure of Uttarpara plant of fe ruled out
Old 30th March 2007, 13:57   #55
Senior - BHPian

The good old amby will sell on for a few more years. The die hard fans and the govt babus will continue to swear by them. For the new generation, well...it is a relic. For me, it has attained retro cool status!
Old 30th March 2007, 14:01   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi View Post
But about the 80 I am not convinced, I have personally done around 90 in the speedo, but it becomes angry at that speed. Like a kind of revolt. But with the newer 1800 ISZ petrol and 2000 ISZ diesel even 120 is achievable, but not recomended.
Yeah.. reaching 120 is no problem at all... its stopping the car with its antique brakes and suspension thats gonna be a problem
Old 30th March 2007, 14:17   #57
BHPian

Hey guys a OFF topic for all the amby lovers.. since there was a thread of the amby running i thought i could post. If the post is not really worth being in this thread, it can be deleted moDS... but just wanted to add that extra bit of information who are truly in love with the "AMBY"

On my trip to Kerela In Jan happened to visit a Store In Kodaikanal called Raste (Pronounced as Rast-tey i.e. Roads) which is close to the Bus market. It has a very exclusive poster of the Ambassadors of India. The posture features different amby for people coming from different walks of life like the politician, the celebrites, the villagers etc. If you guys like the poster do pick it up, it is actually a collectors Item.

ps: MODS its ok if this post gets deleted .
Old 30th March 2007, 14:43   #58
Senior - BHPian

if i am right amby these days ( atleast the top versions) come with disc brakes.
Old 30th March 2007, 17:22   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
On my trip to Kerela In Jan happened to visit a Store In Kodaikanal called Raste (Pronounced as Rast-tey i.e. Roads) which is close to the Bus market. It has a very exclusive poster of the Ambassadors of India.
Kerala is the only place where I saw brand new ambassadors. I always wondered where HM is selling these cars.
Old 30th March 2007, 20:41   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
if i am right amby these days ( atleast the top versions) come with disc brakes.
Even without disc brakes, the Amby can probably stop itself with its massive CD - the concept which didnt exist when it was originally born. That front is so butch that its should be able to fend off anti-tank fire for the Indian Army.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks