Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2007, 20:53   #61
Team-BHP Support

amby will live for ever, production atleast 5 years, love the car, has character and each, different from the others, drive it to feel it!
Old 31st March 2007, 11:19   #62
Senior - BHPian

The only + point of Amby (I owned a '73 model & sold off in 2000 for 7.5K. It gave a steady FE of 12 till I had to part with) is that it is a battle tank on the roads. It bumps into you, you are ruined and if anybody bumps into it then also that person gets ruined.

I experienced this myself several times; once when my brakes failed (master cylinder piston worn off) I banged into the rear of a army gypsy at 45kmph and almost flattened their backend. My damage - a couple of broken HLs and damaged front grill...

In this mad, mad world of unruly traffic I wish I had my old work horse. Atleast the YUPPIES & the PUPPIES wudn't dare zig-zag near me like they do nowadays.
Old 31st March 2007, 11:58   #63
BHPian

The Ambassador is a good comfortable car from HM, But it has been in service for a long long time. I think it is time to make design changes(like the zen to Estilo). Thats what we Indians want. We love changes. If no changes then, the ambassadors will only be sold to politicians and taxis(In kerala).
Old 1st April 2007, 03:22   #64
BHPian

Mpower is right that kerala has new ambassadors. This is a recent trend, after going for new generation vehicles people got to know the goodies of amby. Huge costs of parts , extra money to be spend on caring and cleaning have compelled them to take this retro step.

Also please read a thread named vandalism.
Old 2nd May 2007, 12:53   #65
Senior - BHPian

Spoke with a few guys having considerate knowledge about the indian automobile field and they are claiming the Ambassador is well on the verge of extinction and may well be breathing its last.The strike has come as a blessing for the management ,who were looking to stop production.However future plans of HM are not clear.

THe Mitsubishi-HM relation is also not really the best right now.
Old 10th November 2007, 16:33   #66

Any update?

Any update about the present status of the production of ambassador cars? 'coz, I am planning to purchase GRAND!
Old 10th November 2007, 19:48   #67
Senior - BHPian

The Ambassador needs to be put to sleep!.Period.This ugly , bulbous limp of tin is an eyesore.There is not one aesthetic or redeeming feature in it.
Old 10th November 2007, 19:53   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
The Ambassador needs to be put to sleep!.Period.This ugly , bulbous limp of tin is an eyesore.There is not one aesthetic or redeeming feature in it.
Please get your eyes tested.

The Ambassador (Austin Oxford)has never been an eyesore, it is a design icon that is a joy to look at.
Old 10th November 2007, 20:02   #69
Team-BHP Support

Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. There are people in the world who find Porsches ugly. I don't.
I've been an Amby fan, but, I do feel they should phase it out now. Last I heard, they were making a 2L 74bhp Turbodiesel.
Old 10th November 2007, 21:33   #70

love the amby

personally i love the amby. it is a strong vehicle and being the first vehicle i have ever sat in, there is a nostalgic touch for my love for the amby.
Old 11th November 2007, 04:38   #71
BHPian

Lets face it. It would look great as a classic. And its time we get it into 'vintage'.
Old 11th November 2007, 10:13   #72
Senior - BHPian

Dont you think that head lamps are feeling like they have a porsche touch to them? I learrned driving in one, and have not driven one for over 7 years, now thining about it, a second hand amby is a very good choice.

great choice on buying a brand new amby, biju.
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:56   #73
BHPian

I agree with Narasimha Raju. The Ambassador is and will remain the toughie on Indian roads.
Old 4th December 2009, 09:57   #74
Senior - BHPian

Ambassador is a car to which I have an emotional attachment. I am sure many people in the current generation will have the same feeling. I learned to drive in an Ambasador, travelled in it everyday for 21 years.

According to the sales data available in the post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ales-data.html, Ambassador sales are higher than some of the modern sedans. This is inspite of poor quality and lack of safety features. I think if the HM can improve the quality and introduce some safety features, the sales will improve.
Old 4th December 2009, 12:07   #75
BHPian

Emotional attachment; yes I second that its a classic in its own right. Plonk in a powerful engine; better brakes; luxuries interiors; interesting dash board etc etc etc and go the full monty for the thing...i see no reason why it should not sell better heard somewhere some of the Babus have requested for the Amby after the Government Changed to the indigo,an image issue for them but for me its an emotional attachement and its a car with lots of character and a presence.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks