Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2011, 22:45   #406
BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Autocar will feature the new Swift on Bloomberg UTV at 2230 hours on the 28th July, 2011.
Just saw the show. They have repeated the same test drive report which they did abroad few months back. There did not show or test the India version of Swift 2011.

So if someone has missed the show, dont worry, you have not really missed anything!

Last edited by Selective : 28th July 2011 at 22:49.
Selective is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 23:52   #407
Senior - BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

The show was pathetic and absolutely nothing new to offer.

I have a question though - did the existing Swift have a remote boot opening? If not, this is a very important one to have in the new one. It might be a small one but very very useful.
Old 28th July 2011, 23:55   #408
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
The show was pathetic and absolutely nothing new to offer.

I have a question though - did the existing Swift have a remote boot opening? If not, this is a very important one to have in the new one. It might be a small one but very very useful.
You mean the boot opener on a key press?? I don't think it was there! But we could open the boot by means of a lever from driver side just like opening the petrol tank lid.
Old 28th July 2011, 23:59   #409
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I meant the boot opener through the remote key.
I find it very useful while carrying stuff like groceries when both hands are full.

I think it is there is almost all the premium hatchbacks.
Old 29th July 2011, 00:01   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You mean the boot opener on a key press?? I don't think it was there! But we could open the boot by means of a lever from driver side just like opening the petrol tank lid.
Current Swift ZXi has a small button on the boot lid (right next to the boot door handle) which u can press and open the boot if car is unlocked.
Old 29th July 2011, 00:24   #411
Senior - BHPian

abhibh: do u need to insert the key to lock/unlock the boot (from outside), or can it be done through the remote?
Old 29th July 2011, 07:00   #412
Senior - BHPian

Hapless show. I was waiting for ACI to feature the Maruti Suzuki Swift and was disappointed. I guess this was shot in Europe maybe 2 months back considering the DDiS was launched there around that time.

Homarzd was even fishing for beige interiors in the India bound car citing the strong preference for beige by the Indian market. Sigh!

And if we needed another review of the UK Swift, there were many good ones in YouTube already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra
The old Swift ZXi has an electromagnetic release sensor which can be activated via the remote to open the boot. It never made it to the Diesel till now and should be there in the ZDi this time around.
Old 29th July 2011, 08:48   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
do u need to insert the key to lock/unlock the boot (from outside), or can it be done through the remote?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The old Swift ZXi has an electromagnetic release sensor which can be activated via the remote to open the boot. It never made it to the Diesel till now and should be there in the ZDi this time around.
Thats right. In Zxi we could open the boot with the remote. When you unlock the vehicle using the remote, even boot gets unlocked.
Old 29th July 2011, 11:12   #414
BHPian

@ALL

Some of You'll Seem to have taken my comments negatively. What I posted was my opinion of the swift no way am I Anti-swift or something.

When I think about it many of you'll pointed out that the swift is for the masses and If we boycott it we do not have many options left!

What I had in mind was that swift may evolve into a premium hatch which it obviously is not going to. I still am not buying it.

But here's wishing all of those who booked it the very best!

Happy driving!
Old 29th July 2011, 18:52   #415
BHPian

Fellow BHPians, I put forward the following query to a friend of mine who apparently owns a Maruti dealership, Quoting- "I am planning to buy/book the Figo - Titanium this week,but everyone is confusing me about the new swift. I know the launch is on Aug-17 but i can't waste 20 days. Ill tell u why,the Figo usually takes 45 days to 60 days to be delivered. I can make the booking and wait for the swift. But if the Swift is priced much more than the Figo then there is no point of having waited. I read that there will be a ZDI top end variant. Is it true and will it come with ABS,Dual Airbags and all the other Gizmos and gadgets? If yes,then what would be the on-road price and how long will it take to be delivered? I think that the bookings have already crossed 25K without people even seeing it in flesh and a TD. (That is India for us!)
I would also like to ask personally as friend and not as a dealer - customer thing - Is it worth it?"

This is the reply I got from him and Quoting - "The swift is supposed to get launched by aug 17th. The looks are great. We have no idea about the price seriously and will know it only by aug 10th. Zdi is the fully loaded version. With air bags and all the other features.That should take a little longer time for delivery as of now. We will know the real status only by the second fortnight of august. The looks are great.We were not allowed to take pics of the vehicle.But the performance was also better. They have changed the turbo(a better one) leg room is better now."

Now guys,I already waited for the Beat Launch just for the prices and turned out not so in favor because variant to variant the Beat is only cheaper by 30k approx which is a negligible difference when actually comparing the two cars.I am wondering what if the Swift will be much costlier. Say the difference between Titanium and Zdi is around 50K to 70K,will it make sense to spend extra?My friend only emphasizes on the looks and even the Beat is a good looking car. But is it just the looks that matter? No I need a overall perfect/good package. The other rumor I keep hearing is that the engine is no more Fiat sourced,and Maruti is making the same engine with their own resources but borrowed technology,is it true? How will it really impact the car?Also the only negative feed back I get from the Figo owners id the GC problem,the front mud flaps nick bumps all the time. The non Figo owners also say that the Fords tend to become very rough and rigid as it ages (steering gets tighter and suspension becomes action less and things).

Your inputs and advices are needed to decide.
Old 29th July 2011, 19:50   #416
Senior - BHPian

Posting here the Autocar review of New Swift (As already mentioned its not a Indian Produced Swift) :-

Last edited by karanraheja : 29th July 2011 at 19:51.
Old 29th July 2011, 20:37   #417
BHPian

Would the New Swift rear seat have a 40:60 split option like the Ritz and the Jazz have? Old Swift does not have it I think.
Old 29th July 2011, 21:00   #418
Senior - BHPian

Caught the New Swift today in ITPL campus at 330pm. It was a registered car. It looks like it had come for a photo/video shoot as there were a lot of film crew along with the car. The car looks stunning in red.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 29th July 2011 at 21:01. Reason: had to remove a word
Old 29th July 2011, 21:30   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Current Swift ZXi has a small button on the boot lid (right next to the boot door handle) which u can press and open the boot if car is unlocked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The old Swift ZXi has an electromagnetic release sensor which can be activated via the remote to open the boot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
Thats right. In Zxi we could open the boot with the remote. When you unlock the vehicle using the remote, even boot gets unlocked.
Sorry to bring this up again ! Did you guys mean to say that on the key fob, we have a 3rd button just for pooping the boot "on press" ?? Please note that I am taking only from the "remote key" perspective and not about having buttons on the car!

if so, could anyone post a pic of the remote key. I don't remember seeing a 3rd button on the key itself which will pop the boot open, on my friends ZXi. I have seen this happening on a Civic though. You have a button on the key and when you press that, the boot pops up without any manual intervention! Its SEXY.
Old 29th July 2011, 21:50   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar.carthik View Post
The other rumor I keep hearing is that the engine is no more Fiat sourced,and Maruti is making the same engine with their own resources but borrowed technology,is it true? How will it really impact the car?
Suzuki obtained license from Fiat to manufacture the diesel engine in India. If I am not wrong, there was some limitation on the number of units it can produce, but it was quite a bit of number.

So, Suzuki got license, tech transfer, but since a few years Suzuki are manufacturing the engine in India. In the new Swift, the engine has been modified to produce 80 bhp, but again this is rumored. The current Swift, Ritz, Swift Dzire are having the engine produced in India by Suzuki. So no need to worry about effects of such a thing on the car. Go ahead and decide what your hearts says!
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed