Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2011, 23:24   #451
BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

40k bookings, that too 13 days before launch! That is an achievement for Swift. There is no doubt that Swift is the most successful hatchback of India. I know pricing is still unknown but I feel even if the pricing is on the higher side people are going to buy it. I seriously hope Maruti price it well. Can any mods tell us about the potential test drive report of the new Swift? Any tentative dates for the test drive?
Old 4th August 2011, 07:37   #452
mxx
BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
40k bookings, that too 13 days before launch! That is an achievement for Swift.
Nothing surprising actually. Swift always had good numbers. In the last few months many customers who had decided on swift waited for new model instead of booking the current one. Hence the huge initial booking.
Old 4th August 2011, 10:36   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict
While this can be debated forever, I think in some ways this was a good move by MUL. They sent out a clear message that the upgraded variant would be available soon and people with existing bookings can upgrade to the new model. I don't think all car manufacturers would do that. Look at Honda - they dropped prices of Jazz but left everyone guessing if there would be a product upgrade or not.

From an inventory holding point, this move also ensured that old stock is cleared and no discounts have to be offered like in the case of Jazz.

Since Swift has always had a healthy demand, Maruti could afford to do this. Not sure if they would do this with any other car. Imagine doing this with an A star.
Now, I don't think Maruti would have had any problem in clearing the inventory of old Swift and that is the sole reason. The car had very healthy demand and I am sure a good majority of the market would have taken the old one even if they knew the new one is replacing it.

I will give you an example. A friend of mine bought the Swift back in June. And before he made the booking in May, I asked him to wait for the new Swift. But he was sure he wanted the old Swift. His thinking was, the old Swift itself suits his requirements from a car to a tee and then he wouldn't have to wait to get his new car. Also, he would save some money as the new one is rumoured to be costlier. Now, he is not an auto enthusiast and I don't fault with his thought process at all. And I am sure there will be a lot of buyers who think the same way.

So, to think of it, Maruti was in a much stronger position with discontinuing the old Swift. I asked those questions in the post because I cannot find a logical reason as to why MSIL is waiting for Aug 17th. And I feel, they are unnecessarily making the market wait for the new Swift, including me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_lat
New Pictures from IAB. Seems like Swift got damaged while Ad shoot. But what i can see is much better paint quality from Maruti.
Wow! The car looks good in that shade and the water droplets makes it only better. The car is ought to glow considering it was brought in for an advt shoot. Any side shots? Hope the paint quality is good this time around. I am yet to find an old Swift in Red which isn't faded.
Old 4th August 2011, 10:47   #454
Team-BHP Support

July Sales.

Maruti sold 348 Swifts in July against 9468 in June. June sales were down owing to the strike at Manesar plant. The July sales are obviously down due to stop of production of the old Swift. Taking that into accordance we can safely assume that the existing stocks at Maruti for the Swift are almost over.

The sales of the Ritz went up from 5239 in June to 7307 in July. This confirms that customers look at the Ritz as an alternative to the Swift and there were about 2000 customers that went for the Ritz instead of waiting for the launch of the Swift. The Ritz sold its highest number for 2011 in July. With the increase in prices of the new Swift, MSIL would have successfully created a demand for the Ritz as it has always managed to with its other products. Walk into a Maruti showroom today and there is a car available starting from Rs. 2 lakhs to 10 lakhs at a price interval of Rs. 30,000/-. (Not considering the GV and the Kizashi here).
Old 4th August 2011, 10:53   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Hope the paint quality is good this time around. I am yet to find an old Swift in Red which isn't faded.
Thats because the old Swift had a solid red colour, and not a metallic one. I am glad this one on the new Swift is finally metallic and a shade deeper at that.
The mirrors seem slightly larger than the older Swift. Integrated ORVM indicators look aftermarket and tacky.
Old 4th August 2011, 11:34   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
Thats because the old Swift had a solid red colour, and not a metallic one. I am glad this one on the new Swift is finally metallic and a shade deeper at that.
But so is the red colour on the Maruti Estilo. But I haven't seen the paint fade on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
The mirrors seem slightly larger than the older Swift. Integrated ORVM indicators look aftermarket and tacky.
Yep, the Integrated ORVM indicators look aftermarket and tacky indeed. It is not there in the UK market and those ORVMs look good. IIRC, the same ORVMs with indicators are there in the new Australian Swift.
Old 4th August 2011, 13:33   #457
Senior - BHPian

Maruti has decided to reduce diesel engine exports to meet the demands of the Indian market. It is a good move by maruti.

Maruti to cut diesel engine exports to Hungary
Old 4th August 2011, 14:04   #458
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
40k bookings, that too 13 days before launch! That is an achievement for Swift. There is no doubt that Swift is the most successful hatchback of India. I know pricing is still unknown but I feel even if the pricing is on the higher side people are going to buy it. I seriously hope Maruti price it well. Can any mods tell us about the potential test drive report of the new Swift? Any tentative dates for the test drive?
The old swift still had a 4 month waiting period when production was discontinued. The bookings for the old Swift were also transferred to the new Shift. Hence the total number is cumulative of the old + New. But, whatever it may be it is a commendable number and to MSIL.
Old 4th August 2011, 17:53   #459
BHPian

Hormazd Sorabjee just tweeted that a ZDi version for the swift is confirmed. It will come with ABS and 185/65 R15 tyres but sadly no push button start.
Old 4th August 2011, 17:55   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Hormazd confirms below.
Quote:
can confirm that India-spec new Swift coming in ZDi trim. ABS and 185/R65 R15 tyres but no push button start
Old 4th August 2011, 19:11   #461
Senior - BHPian

Are there no airbags and ACC on the ZDi trim? If not, what's the difference between the current VDi+ABS option and the proposed ZDi variant?
Old 4th August 2011, 20:05   #462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Are there no airbags and ACC on the ZDi trim? If not, what's the difference between the current VDi+ABS option and the proposed ZDi variant?
These two features should be a part of the ZDi. Along with this, I expect integrated audio system + 4 speakers, rear wash/wipe, defogger on rear windscreen, steering mounted controls, alloywheels and keyless entry.

Another tip from Hormazd / ACI

Quote:
  • New Swift 1.2 K series petrol gets variable valve timing to bump power to 87ps. 1.3 diesel unchanged - 75ps
  • Variable valve timing on 1.2 K-series in New Swift improves fuel efficiency by 4%. Indian driving cycle consumption is 18.6kpl
  • Zxi & Zdi-get 15"alloy,driver seat ht adjust,auto ac,dual airbag,ABS,EBD,new audio with aux /usb,steering control!
  • New swift gets new audio system, climate control , z variant for diesel and 1.2 petrol with vvt nw giving 87ps
Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 5th August 2011 at 10:38. Reason: posts merged
Old 4th August 2011, 20:45   #463
Senior - BHPian

The flurry of twitter updates show that ACI has got the Swift for review. So, I think we can expect the T-BHP Official New Swift Review soon!

I am dying to see a pic of the elusive ZDi. As someone posted before, all the spy pics have been of the ZXi.
Old 4th August 2011, 21:19   #464
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry for the bits & pieces, but this is how I am getting it.

ODMAG twitter updates as below.
Quote:
  • At the new Swift pre-launch test drives in Udaipur. It's all-new but to most will be just a facelift
  • 1.2 k-series engine gets variable valve timing. Power up to 87ps. Claimed efficiency up by 4% to 18.6kmpl. 0-100kmph in 12.6sec
  • Same 75ps 1.3 diesel but eff up by 6% to 22.9kmpl. 0-100kmph in a claimed 14.8sec
  • Big news is all-new interiors that are a significant step up. Wheelbase increased by 40mm & interior room corr goes up
Does anyone know whats the current Swift's 0-100 timing for both petrol & diesel ? The reports are already conflicting I guess. I believe the ARAI FE rating for diesel is 23.9 instead of the 22.9 listed here and was something close to 20 kmpl for petrol? And Odmag conflicts with ACI claim of interiors not a league ahead !! t-bhp is the way to believe stuffs.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th August 2011 at 21:23.
Old 4th August 2011, 21:57   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Sorry for the bits & pieces, but this is how I am getting it.

ODMAG twitter updates as below.
Does anyone know whats the current Swift's 0-100 timing for both petrol & diesel ? The reports are already conflicting I guess. I believe the ARAI FE rating for diesel is 23.9 instead of the 22.9 listed here and was something close to 20 kmpl for petrol? And Odmag conflicts with ACI claim of interiors not a league ahead !! t-bhp is the way to believe stuffs.
Current Swift DDiS 0-100: 13.8 secs
Current Swift Petrol 0-100: 12.xx secs
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks