Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2011, 01:11   #61
BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
i know that the equipment list will be better, was just curious when the member mentioned better build quality,.
Read my previous post carefully, which i've tagged below specially.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
-Better build across all variants.
I've written there 'Better build across all variants', not in context with ZDi alone.

BTW, Have anybody thought, If the New Swift's launch is in Aug-2nd half then why MSIL have stopped the production of Swift almost 1.5 months early. IMHO, something is cooking inside MSIL regarding plans of New Swift launch.
My guess is hinting towards July-end launch of New Swift.
CRtorquefan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 01:35   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
BTW, Have anybody thought, If the New Swift's launch is in Aug-2nd half then why MSIL have stopped the production of Swift almost 1.5 months early. IMHO, something is cooking inside MSIL regarding plans of New Swift launch.
I think that's to mass produce the new version before launch and to cope up with the lost volume due to the strike. They probably don't want to lose out any sales to Liva and may be upcoming Beat D. Also there are reports that Toyota may bring in both Liva & Etios diesels way before than it is supposed to be. I don't find any other reasons for them to move the Dzire production into another factory itself even after both Swift & Dzire have enormous part sharing.

Edit:: Was thinking over this point from the time I heard that there is a ZDi version !! Would not it be possible for people to get ZDi versions quicker? I am sure no one till now [except last 2 days] would have booked a ZDi since it was not available. Now anyone who books a ZDi specifically will be first in the queue though there are bookings for other versions which runs for months and are entitled to get the car faster than if they choose an LDi, VDi or VDi ABS right? Or are the existing guys going to be provided an option to upgrade and be given a priority or a new booking for ZDi will straight away get into the first slot for ZDi delivery ?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 8th July 2011 at 01:44.
Old 8th July 2011, 04:10   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious

I think that's to mass produce the new version before launch and to cope up with the lost volume due to the strike. They probably don't want to lose out any sales to Liva and may be upcoming Beat D. Also there are reports that Toyota may bring in both Liva & Etios diesels way before than it is supposed to be. I don't find any other reasons for them to move the Dzire production into another factory itself even after both Swift & Dzire have enormous part sharing.

Edit:: Was thinking over this point from the time I heard that there is a ZDi version !! Would not it be possible for people to get ZDi versions quicker? I am sure no one till now [except last 2 days] would have booked a ZDi since it was not available. Now anyone who books a ZDi specifically will be first in the queue though there are bookings for other versions which runs for months and are entitled to get the car faster than if they choose an LDi, VDi or VDi ABS right? Or are the existing guys going to be provided an option to upgrade and be given a priority or a new booking for ZDi will straight away get into the first slot for ZDi delivery ?
I thought of the same loophole as well. But maruti being maruti, zdi versions will be produced in less numbers and hence waiting period will be high.
Old 8th July 2011, 05:44   #64
BHPian

That's news cos my friend has booked his swift couple of days back and the show room guys took a booking for older sunlight copper swift VDi and did not even mention the probability of new gen swift and the waiting period is 3 months.
So does this mean he'll be auto upgraded to the newer version?
Old 8th July 2011, 07:41   #65
Senior - BHPian

IMHO it would be better for your friend to back to the showroom, clarify his requirements and request for an upgrade as necessary.

I would be surprised if the dealer does it on his own; most dealers are notorious for maintaining status quo
Old 8th July 2011, 08:00   #66
BHPian

Finally some news from Autocar.

"Engine options are likely to be carried over from the outgoing model. The petrol will be powered by a 1.2-litre, 84bhp K-series motor while the diesel engine will be a 1.3-litre unit sourced from Fiat."

Seems like we are not getting the 92 PS VVT Engine.
Maruti ends Swift production | Autocar India
Old 8th July 2011, 08:01   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S.Grewal View Post
Now the million dollar question which will come to the minds of all the people who have already booked the Swift VDI is that should we upgrade to ZDI or should stick to VDI itself , as except from Airbags all the other goodies can be had from the open market . Suggestions regarding Model selection are solicited.

Regards
ABS is a key safety feature which i don't think can be done outside.
Old 8th July 2011, 08:20   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

It's obvious from some of the responses here that the refreshed Swift will eat into Ritz's volumes. Good move by MSIL. I think the auto-upgrade to the new Swift for those who have booked is a given. Those who bought the Swift recently- sridhar.s.i, for example- may be wondering now if they should have waited!
Old 8th July 2011, 08:52   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S.Grewal View Post
Now the million dollar question which will come to the minds of all the people who have already booked the Swift VDI is that should we upgrade to ZDI or should stick to VDI itself
This is exactly what I am going through. I had booked the VDi with Abs, unless the spec list comes out, its hard to decide. I think I will stay with the Vdi, however the dealer told me I can opt for zdi if I wish after launch.
Old 8th July 2011, 08:54   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

The same is there NDTV online too. However they too saying of next month launch and not July end launch as all hoping for. Maruti stops Swift production; to launch new version next month - NDTV Profit

Yes, as noopster said I too feel Rit'z volume will be hit once new Swift comes in. Already TSK is thinking of waiting as per what he said in his thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2420816
Old 8th July 2011, 09:23   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post

Launch will be around August 10 and finally, there will be a ZDI variant.
All other things aside, this alone is a joy to hear!! MSIL should have introduced ZDI long ago.

How I wished a ZDI was present when I bought mine!

On a different note, expect waiting period to surge more
Old 8th July 2011, 09:50   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Not only that, I don't see a lot of people opting for the ZDi due to the price factor. To most people (outside TBHP), safety features (ABS, airbags), ACC do not mean much. They would rather buy a LDi/VDi and spend 50K on accessories such as music system/body kits from the open market. Typical Indian mindset - what can be flaunted is more appealing than what can't be.This of course is good news for people aspiring to own a ZDi (me included) which theoretically should have a lesser wait period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_lat View Post
Finally some news from Autocar.

"Engine options are likely to be carried over from the outgoing model. The petrol will be powered by a 1.2-litre, 84bhp K-series motor while the diesel engine will be a 1.3-litre unit sourced from Fiat."

Seems like we are not getting the 92 PS VVT Engine.
Maruti ends Swift production | Autocar India
Well, I really don't think that can be true. Only time will tell. Though all other reports point to a VVT petrol engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintomin View Post
ABS is a key safety feature which i don't think can be done outside.
A lot of people realize this only after they buy a non ABS car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
It's obvious from some of the responses here that the refreshed Swift will eat into Ritz's volumes. Good move by MSIL. I think the auto-upgrade to the new Swift for those who have booked is a given. Those who bought the Swift recently- sridhar.s.i, for example- may be wondering now if they should have waited!
Ritz already is selling in poor volumes compared to Swift. The new Swift launch will further eat away the sales. Its interesting how two cars with the same engines but radically different exteriors can have such vast disparity in sales figures. Looks do matter, after all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
All other things aside, this alone is a joy to hear!! MSIL should have introduced ZDI long ago.
Absolutely right.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 8th July 2011 at 09:53.
Old 8th July 2011, 10:43   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Not only that, I don't see a lot of people opting for the ZDi due to the price factor. To most people (outside TBHP), safety features (ABS, airbags), ACC do not mean much. They would rather buy a LDi/VDi and spend 50K on accessories such as music system/body kits from the open market. Typical Indian mindset - what can be flaunted is more appealing than what can't be.This of course is good news for people aspiring to own a ZDi (me included) which theoretically should have a lesser wait period.
Sorry Fuel Addict, I beg to differ that even if Maruti comes out ZDI version, certainly they will produce very less numbers (close to only 10% of total production), and the waiting period is going to be even worse than LDI/VDI. It happened to me four years ago, when the Estillo was launched. I booked for the VXI ABS (the day it was launched with out having the test drive). And the dealer had very tough time to source it even after 3 months (the amount was paid in full). Though I had to upgrade to swift (which was available off the shelf at that time) and I never regret my decision for that. I expect the same with the ZDi, and feel that it is going to have much more wait period than the other versions, because people like us have been long waiting for ZDi to be launched.

And it is much easier to influence the dealer to get the lower version earlier since there can be few cancellations due to unavoidable circumstances.
Old 8th July 2011, 10:51   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrrraju View Post
Sorry Fuel Addict, I beg to differ that even if Maruti comes out ZDI version, certainly they will produce very less numbers (close to only 10% of total production), and the waiting period is going to be even worse than LDI/VDI. It happened to me four years ago, when the Estillo was launched. I booked for the VXI ABS (the day it was launched with out having the test drive). And the dealer had very tough time to source it even after 3 months (the amount was paid in full). Though I had to upgrade to swift (which was available off the shelf at that time) and I never regret my decision for that. I expect the same with the ZDi, and feel that it is going to have much more wait period than the other versions, because people like us have been long waiting for ZDi to be launched.

And it is much easier to influence the dealer to get the lower version earlier since there can be few cancellations due to unavoidable circumstances.
I agree with you to an extent. Its the mid-variant with ABS (Swift VDi-ABS for example) which has always had a long delivery period. The dealers then try to push the non ABS VDi variant to buyers who are in a rush. When I booked the Swift ZXi 5 years ago, I could get it in a week's time since demand for ZXi was lower due to the 85K premium over the VXi variant - no diesel option that time.

The Estilo case is different because I don't think the car ever sold in large numbers. So an ABS option car would always have a long wait period.

If Maruti expects the ZDi variant to sell in large numbers, they have to increase the production to more than 10% of the total. Lets hope so.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 8th July 2011 at 10:52.
Old 8th July 2011, 11:31   #75
BHPian

Does anyone know what kind of premium the ZDi will attract wrt ZXi? Would it be a Lakh rupees or more?

What is the ex-showroom difference between current VXi and VDi?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks