Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2011, 22:11   #1021
BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post
Your are right. MUL buys stock tyres for Rs 300 - 400/- which costs around Rs 1,800/- in the open market. This will give you an idea of the OEM costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Absolutely rubbish. No one can buy a tyre in 300-400 Rs whether it is MUL or anybody. People working in Tyre making companies on this forum can support or refute this point.
Well this fact is true. Its not rubbish at all. Why do you think MSIL is still stuck with dirty JK tyres?? They know that JK tyres are not great, they have received N number of feedbacks from customers requesting for better tyres. MSIL also knows the fact that out of every 100cars sold between Swift and RITZ 70 customers change to 185/70 R14 from Michelin, Yoko or Bridgestone.

300-400 may be 1 or 2 years ago, today with the cost of rubber it may be max 600-700, but yes what diwa and others are telling is right, OEM prices are shockingly too less/Cheap.
Old 19th August 2011, 22:16   #1022
BANNED

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

MUL has got it wrong this time around . Petrol will face stiff competition from Jazz at One end and I20 at other . Swift diesel was the only product apart from Indica when it was originally launched which was a prime reason for its huge sale (also that turbo lag kick ) .
Today it is completely different Figo , Beat Diesel is a better VFM for people looking at cheap Oil Burners along with Indica Vista . At the higher end the I20 Diesel and soon to be launched Polo 94bhp diesel will eat in to Swift diesel sales which are much better equipped too.

As someone has said after Jagdish Khattar Maruti has lost the plot .
Old 19th August 2011, 22:29   #1023
BHPian

[quote=kar.carthik;2474044]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I had booked the ZDI thinking it would be around 60 to 70k more than the Figo titanium, but a 1 lakh difference makes me think again.

This car will basically be a second-car at home, and as such wont really hit 1lakh plus kms even if i keep it for 5-7yrs. Its meant for the city,car so very rarely will i have passengers at the rear to make me miss the power windows.

@Shashank Ji- I had my mind fixed the same way,if the Zdi was 50 to 60 K more than the Titanium I would hav gone for the Zdi. I actually waited a month just to know the prices of the new swift and finally booked the Figo Titanium yesterday. Thanks to Maruti pricing now I will have to wait another month till I get the car. (2 months lost and not having a car just to know that the Swift isn't a common mans dream any more".
Congrats Figo is a good package for the price your paying.

Just noticed you said USB can be added via a cable of the FIGO audio system. Please note they might put this cable from the AUX port resulting in USB not working through a digital input. you get many aftermarket devices and cables to play USB from AUX port, but the sound quality is horrible. Only when the headunit has the USB integrated it has a digital quality sound (Just like the CD or MP3). I would suggest you manage without the USB for a while and later change the headunit itself.

Enjoy and Congrats once again.

Drive safe.
Old 19th August 2011, 23:52   #1024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar.carthik View Post
First of all,the Swift pits head on with Figo,Ritz,i10,etc and not with Polo,i20,Jazz,Fabia. So it is purely wrong for Maruti to portray and slot the product in a false competition and demand buyers unfair price hike simply because they feel that their car has now gone to another league. Its is the buyer and the market that decide which product competes with another product.

Secondly,I think everyone comparing the ZDI to Titanium seems to be unfair after the price determination. The Vdi in my town costs 10K more than the Titanium. Now how would this comparison be justifiable. For 10K less you would get :
-ABS & EBD
-Dual Airbags
-Music System with Bluetooth (USB can be added at a additional cost via cable)
-More interior space
-More Boot Space

I think the sorely missed features in the Figo are the rear power windows and tilt steering. But that is acceptable for someone who is looking for a complete VFM package.
Why do you assume that Swift competes with i10, Figo etc? Its the Ritz that does that and is priced as much.

Before, everybody had lot of concerns about the quality of interiors, features etc of the old Swift. Now that quality has really gone up, prices have gone up too. And since quality has gone up, its more 'premium'.

Lets think for a moment that quality and price was same as the older Swift. We would have complained that this is 2011 not 2005, etc etc.

What Maruti could have done to silence the crowd?
1. Name Swift as something else.
2. Put in some beige crap there.
3. Charge it another 50K more.
4. Sell old Swift and new Swift together.
This is exactly how i20 evolved from the Getz and i10 evolved from Santro

Kudos to Maruti for not doing that!

Ultimately, what you pay is what you get.
Old 20th August 2011, 00:27   #1025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
At the higher end the I20 Diesel and soon to be launched Polo 94bhp diesel will eat in to Swift diesel sales which are much better equipped too.
i20 yes, but no way Polo Highline is better equipped than Swift. Polo Highline TDI ex-showroom price is Rs.7L+. Now, if they add a 94hp diesel engine and some extra features, expect prices to hit 7.3-7.5L ex-showroom. That's 1L+ more expensive than the Swift Zdi. So, I'm not sure 94hp Polo diesel (if it comes) will eat into much of Swift's sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
What Maruti could have done to silence the crowd?
1. Name Swift as something else.
2. Put in some beige crap there.
3. Charge it another 50K more.
4. Sell old Swift and new Swift together.
This is exactly how i20 evolved from the Getz and i10 evolved from Santro

Kudos to Maruti for not doing that!
I'm not sure Maruti deserves any kudos for that. That's definitely what they would've preferred. It's just that the new Swift looks so much like the old one that they just can't fool anyone by calling it "new" model.
Old 20th August 2011, 00:42   #1026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I'm not sure Maruti deserves any kudos for that. That's definitely what they would've preferred. It's just that the new Swift looks so much like the old one that they just can't fool anyone by calling it "new" model.
Yes, that was the whole point I guess. To keep Swift as Swift. Keep the goodness of the old while iron out the rough edges. And they have been largely successful at that if you were to believe the reviews. Only thing that has gone from bad to worse is the boot space.
Old 20th August 2011, 01:09   #1027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Yes, that was the whole point I guess. To keep Swift as Swift. Keep the goodness of the old while iron out the rough edges.
This has nothing to do with Maruti, but Suzuki (who designs these cars).

Whenever they have had the chance, Maruti has tried to fool Indian customers by marketing new versions of existing cars as new cars - look no further than M800, Zen, Alto, Astar. With new Wagon-R and Swift, the new designs look so much like the older ones that Maruti has no choice.
Old 20th August 2011, 01:44   #1028
BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

I was also planning to buy the new swift as already i have a Swift Diesel and i love it.My model preference is VDI with ABS and they dont have it now :( as it was there in previous generation swift.I would be looking for more options now.
Old 20th August 2011, 02:24   #1029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
[*]The suspension is much much better. The car is very composed over broken patches and much more stable at higher speeds. It doesn't crash into potholes like the old Swift. The ride is much better.
[*]The interior looks and feels nice. I love the theme and the new cup holder. The fit and finish of the plastic bits are good. A very nice cabin to be in. Though, too early to tell whether it will rattle. The cabin is very quiet compared to the old car.
deetjohn,

How does the ride compare to cars like the i20/polo/Jazz if you've had a chance to experience these cars?

You seem very impressed with the interiors from your post i have the same question again, how does the new swift interiors fare against the i20/polo/Jazz?
Old 20th August 2011, 07:06   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk
deetjohn,

How does the ride compare to cars like the i20/polo/Jazz if you've had a chance to experience these cars?
I have driven the i20 & Polo but not the Jazz. Honestly, the Jazz was never in my purview. Not now though. I will TD the Jazz over the weekend.

I think the ZXi/ ZDi has an edge over both the i20 & Polo if you're driving and all 3 are on par if you are a passenger. The Swift is more composed at speeds compared to the other two and this gives the driver immense confidence to ride over undulations without unsettling the passengers. The old Swift just doesn't stand a chance when compared. The new Swift doesn't crash into potholes and the road (ORR, BLR) which I drove was full of broken tarmac and everytime I hit a crevice, the suspension handled it well, both at low and high speeds. The high profile 15" inch rubber helps.

Suzuki has hit the sweet spot this time around with Ride and Handling. obviously, all 3 here cannot be compared to the Punto which still is in a class of its own. My ranking will be Punto>Swift>Polo>i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk
You seem very impressed with the interiors from your post i have the same question again, how does the new swift interiors fare against the i20/polo/Jazz?
For absolute quality of material inside, the Polo is still the benchmark. Some bits like the power window switches still looks bad in the new Swift. But overall, the new Swift is on par with the i20. The fabric quality is best in the i20/ Figo. The Swift seats looks good but I dont think it will age as well as the i20. Quality of interiors, My ranking will be Polo>Swift>i20

Now, if you ask me as to which one looks good, my pick among the 3 will be the new Swift. The centre console with the music system and the climate control display looks amazing when lit up. Also, I love the new instrument cluster.

I love the interior theme of the new Swift. The only things that I will change are the Power window switches and the interior door handle which is shiny chrome. I like the matte steel used in Polo. But then, I prefer black interiors with no chrome or beige. Best looking interior, my ranking will be Swift>Polo>i20

Last edited by deetjohn : 20th August 2011 at 07:13. Reason: Rephrasing
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 07:44   #1031
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar.carthik View Post
First of all,the Swift pits head on with Figo,Ritz,i10,etc and not with Polo,i20,Jazz,Fabia. So it is purely wrong for Maruti to portray and slot the product in a false competition and demand buyers unfair price hike simply because they feel that their car has now gone to another league. Its is the buyer and the market that decide which product competes with another product.

Secondly,I think everyone comparing the ZDI to Titanium seems to be unfair after the price determination.
We get that you love the Figo, and wish you the best. But please don't couch your opinion as undisputed fact.

Swift was THE premium hatch to begin with, and is definitely a worthy competitor to the Polos and Fabias. Hell, it sells much more than them .

You seem to have some misguided notions about right and wrong: MSIL is free to position a product any way they damned like and it is up to the consumer to vote, with his wallet. Consumers are not fools. If companies "demand an unfair price", cars will not sell. It's ironic that you choose the Swift to launch a diatribe on, while one car you hold in high esteem, the Jazz, has been grossly overpriced for years, and only recently been "corrected" to a level acceptable to most (probably in reaction to the new Swift launch!)
noopster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 11:57   #1032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I have driven the i20 & Polo but not the Jazz. Honestly, the Jazz was never in my purview. Not now though. I will TD the Jazz over the weekend.

Suzuki has hit the sweet spot this time around with Ride and Handling. obviously, all 3 here cannot be compared to the Punto which still is in a class of its own. My ranking will be Punto>Swift>Polo>i20

Quality of interiors, My ranking will be Polo>Swift>i20

I like the matte steel used in Polo. But then, I prefer black interiors with no chrome or beige. Best looking interior, my ranking will be Swift>Polo>i20
Thanks for the info deetjohn. From what i gather, the swift indeed has grown up and is worth that little premium that MSIL is commanding. Even i am a fan of the black interiors of the swift, except the ACC arrangement, i feel the ACC along with the USB and the 12v socket could've been positioned better to give an overall better impression.

If the Swift is the best in ride and handling (after the punto offcourse) and interiors are better than the i20 (with polo being the best), Maruti has hit the sweet spot again! The best drivers car, for a good 50k less than competition (in blore) and on par with the competition in terms of interior quality etc. is good news indeed.
Mandovi motors where i booked doesn't have a TD vehicle yet
Old 20th August 2011, 12:05   #1033
BANNED

When is the BHP test drive report coming? After the launch of the New Swift and its pricing it is perhaps the most awaited thing on Team BHP. Mods please do keep us posted.
Old 20th August 2011, 12:32   #1034
BHPian

Had a chance to look at a VDi/ZDi today morning. My impressions are: (purely personal)

-Looks definitely bigger than the old one.
-Interiors got a real face lift, although the VDi interior without music system and ACC seems to be incomplete. A 2-DIN may make it much better.
-Increase in more storage is a real welcome move.
-Steering looks much better in person rather than in pictures.
-I seriously felt the hatch looks awkward, the previous one looked better in my opinion.
-Boot space is really compromised. Its really really cramped now.
-Rear passengers will really feel the increase in leg room.
-Again strictly my views, but the bonnet when looked from side seems to have a bulge to the tip which seems not a good looker.
-Overall, enthusiastic to see the interior changes but I really liked the exterior of the old one better.
Old 20th August 2011, 12:50   #1035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
We get that you love the Figo, and wish you the best. But please don't couch your opinion as undisputed fact.

Swift was THE premium hatch to begin with, and is definitely a worthy competitor to the Polos and Fabias. Hell, it sells much more than them .
I completely agree. Yesterday, after I went and spent a good half hour with the new swift inside the showroom, I was blown away by the interiors, as I stated in my previous post. It is LEAGUES ahead of any other maruti product except the highest end ones perhaps. The steering is awesome, and the quality of dashboard is brilliant. There are some small cheap bits though, but then, thats a common phenomenon in this segment of the market. Overall, fantastic.

Now, while walking back to my office from the showroom, I happened to glance at an i10 and a Figo parked side by side, and did a double take when I realised that

(i) the i10, from looks of interiors alone, cannot hold a candle to the new Swift (note that I am not talking about space etc, but looks). That carbon black, charcoal grey and silver console in the Swift rocks. Even the interiors of the Figo looked ordinary in comparison.

(ii) Posts here stating that the ANSS is not going to compete with the Polo/i20 is absolutely misplaced- it will very much compete with just these, and whats more, trump them on most counts in my opinion. The ANSS is a country mile ahead of the i10 and Figo as far as interiors are concerned. I am yet to drive all three back to back, however, and therefore I will reserve overall judgment till then. These are my initial thoughts.

In conclusion though, ANSS is definitely a fantastic product, with a lot many of the previous gripes having been ironed out, and many problem areas significantly improved. Couple that with the killer engine pair, and voila, another chartbuster, continuing from where the earlier Swift left off.

MODS please the test drive report. The suspense continues to kill!

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 20th August 2011 at 12:53.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks