Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2011, 21:04   #1081
BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post

Featured below are some technical differences between the New Swift vs Previous Swift.
-90mm increase in length speaks itself inside the bonnet too, as the Engine Oil filter is having some free space around itself now.
Could the bigger bonnet area be for the Suzuki swift 1.6?. It looks awesome. Wish they bring this and I will be the first to buy it
Attached Thumbnails
MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-suzuki_swift_sport_resized.jpg  

Old 21st August 2011, 21:15   #1082
BHPian

Yesterday I had a chance to see the new Swift at Mahalaxmi Auto, SB road, Pune. The racy graphics splashed all over the car made it look unique and different from the other normal Swifts.

Frankly speaking, only the trained eye / enthusiast can make out the difference although the new Swift is a completely different car grounds up (except for the two engines).

My wife who accompanied me and is in no way related to cars except for the fact that they transport her comfortably from point A to point B said there is nothing NEW in the new Swift!

Maruti has also priced the Swift steeply and even the petrol version commands a 2-3 month waiting period in addition to the 4 month period of its diesel sibling.

On road prices of the new Swift in Pune are as follows:
Swift LXI - Rs. 4, 89, 469/-
Swift VXI - Rs. 5, 32, 554/-
Swift ZXI - Rs. 6, 26, 051/-

Swift LDI - Rs. 5, 80, 651/-
Swift VDI - Rs. 6, 28, 574/-
Swift ZDI - Rs. 7, 15, 252/-

As is well known, name sells in India and the new Swift, the VDI and ZDI versions of which are rediciously priced will find many takers. I did not find anything pathbreaking in the new Swift for it to command such a premium. The Figo TDCI Titanium is much better placed when it comes to "value for money". Throw a set of "Ford" branded alloy wheels and it is still a better deal.

The Indica Vista refresh (to be launched tomorrow) with new nomenclature (VX, ZX, etc) is a much improved version of a car that is severly underestimated.
Attached Thumbnails
MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-20082011169.jpg  

MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-20082011170.jpg  

Old 21st August 2011, 21:19   #1083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
what profile of your tyre was on your old swift when you feel the surge because i have 195 profile tyres and there is no sudden surge of turbo boost like one feel in 165 profile tyres . And maruti did some tweak in 2010 swift BS 4 diesel mill so some surge was not there . And you must have test driven 185 profile zdi so there will be change in sudden burst of surge of boost . Waiting for your reply .
It is my friend's and I have driven it extensively over the last 3 years. Now at 72K odo reading. Had 165 mm stock - ran them till about 45K and then changed to 185/65/R14 JK Vectras (I know this was a stupid choice but he was on a tight budget).

I am not saying the power ain't there. It is but more liner - that sudden pull seems to lack.
Old 21st August 2011, 23:26   #1084
BHPian

Power delivery got linear when BS 4 tuning was done on ddis engines which i already own . I got the same delivery of power and pull in the test ride . And test drive which i did was having an odo of 140 kms .

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar View Post
It is my friend's and I have driven it extensively over the last 3 years. Now at 72K odo reading. Had 165 mm stock - ran them till about 45K and then changed to 185/65/R14 JK Vectras (I know this was a stupid choice but he was on a tight budget).

I am not saying the power ain't there. It is but more liner - that sudden pull seems to lack.
Safari_Beast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 23:46   #1085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Folks, a noob question:
The alloy design looks a bit weird. From one angle the alloy spokes are inclined backward and the other its forward (Please check the pictures below). I guess identical design of all four alloys is responsible for this. But the question is, is this correct aesthetically? If the alloy spokes are inclined in a particular direction then there should be separate set for both sides.. again, its a noob question

Attachment 596814
I can confirm your worst fear if that is what it is, Yes!! Maruti made only one design of the alloy wheels and the spokes are pointing to the opposite direction as they have used the same design on the other side as well. I noticed it today as I had gone for a TD and I was like "boy did they never think of this", but then again, on the lighter side we now have 2 designs for the alloys on each side of the car, lol
Old 22nd August 2011, 02:24   #1086
Senior - BHPian

Zigwheels thinks that the new Swift is priced right:
The New Swift: Is the Price is Right? Page - 1| Zigwheels.com

One more interesting piece of info
Quote:
Maruti, the leading automaker, has launched its bestseller, the new Swift, with 140 changes, at Rs 4.22 lakh, just Rs 13,000 higher than the old car
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/9671025.cms

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 22nd August 2011 at 02:27.
Old 22nd August 2011, 06:46   #1087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
I got the same delivery of power and pull in the test ride .
Hey buddy, Until I get a test drive or read the official review. I am dependent on your views. I know it must be difficult but can you explain in detail how responsive the engine was?

Was the surge after 2k rpm...push you in the seat kinds? I have driven the older swift and I quite liked the surge is it any different?

Lots of mixed reviews, Hope that you can help.
Old 22nd August 2011, 07:40   #1088
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
If you have noticed, all those who have TD'ed the car till now speaks rather good about it, most have upgraded from VDi to ZDi too.

Only when people compare it to Figo Titanium do they feel its overpriced for a Swift! I have a feeling time is going to prove them wrong, very wrong! Maruti was always a mass market leader, and here is one car we enthusiasts can also drool over (Old swift was also one, but was criticized for several things, which has now been rectified)!
Old 22nd August 2011, 08:53   #1089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFuel View Post
I can confirm your worst fear if that is what it is, Yes!! Maruti made only one design of the alloy wheels and the spokes are pointing to the opposite direction as they have used the same design on the other side as well. I noticed it today as I had gone for a TD and I was like "boy did they never think of this", but then again, on the lighter side we now have 2 designs for the alloys on each side of the car, lol
If the design of allows is confirmed then I think we can all assume that the wheel cap design would also be carrying the same flaw. The design of the wheel caps, as seen on one of the VDi pics, is quite similar to that of the allows.
Old 22nd August 2011, 09:05   #1090
Senior - BHPian

GTO and other guys, I request you to put up the official review of the ANSS soon. I havent got a chance to go and TD the new car as the car is always on demand at Chennai. I am testdriving all the other hatches first and then coming back to this. I would definitely like you guys to put up the thread soon so that i can decide my small hatch soon.

Please ! Please !!
Old 22nd August 2011, 09:09   #1091
BHPian

I had an opportunity to test the new Swift yesterday. While the dynamics, handling are all appealing I feel the interiors are made up of cheap shiny plastics and are similar to ones found on the Figo. Even the centre console for the Zxi version looks cheap in my opinion. Looking at the price point I find the Figo more VFM with more features, space and better fit finish
Old 22nd August 2011, 09:32   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Holla guys,
Had a chance to see and sit in the new Swift ZDI yesterday, no test drives though. The showroom was crowded and the sales staff had a tough time attending to so many walk ins. Maruti sure has a winner.

My impressions:
Love the exterior looks, it looks much better than the old Swift, the headlights and tail-lights are attractive. Infact I've seen aftermarket tail lamps on older swifts that look like this. Now onto the interiors.

There is only one word to describe it and that's "Awesome". Was never a fan of the barebones interior of the old swift, this one's leaps and bounds ahead of it. The Kizashi inspired V style dash looks neat and modern with nice amber (?) backlighting in the console. The ACC and music display also looked pleasant. One thing to note, the ACC and music display is not back lit like that of the Polo, i20, Vento and that's a very good thing.

Asked for the keys so I could have a feel of the display on the MID and that too is great. Could not turn on the car as it was in the showroom. After having been impressed with the lights show turned my attention towards the seats. They are nice and wide but felt them to be a lil soft. A longish test drive will reveal how comfortable they are but for the 5 mins that I spent in them, they felt spot on. Adjusted to my height (I'm 5.11") and went and sat behind, and the leg room was sufficient, not great but sufficient. The Jazz beats it hollow here. Even the seats in the rear felt soft, no reasons to complain here.

And now for the bit that lets down the Swift, the boot space or rather the lack of it. Its abysmal, one suitcase horizontally placed is all you can keep. This is the aspect that will drive a family guy away from it. Moreover the loading sil is too high, make sure you have good back. Also felt that the power window switches should've been of better quality and the joystick like power mirror knob is a disaster waiting to happen especially with guys like me that have clumsy fingers. One pleasant surprise, the 5th wheel is an alloy. And yes, Maruti has finally decided to give the car better rubber, its now shod with MRF ZVTS as opposed to pathetic JK Vectras of yore.

To cut a long story short, Maruti has come up with a real upgrade for the Swift and you can't go wrong with it. Except for the boot space and flimsy knob for the power mirrors the car has it all.

Would I want to buy it? Not too sure abt that, I am thinking of the Jazz X that is retailing for 7.14L OTR Bombay while the ZDI is at 7.35L OTR Bombay. The price difference is not much and I will easily recover that in less that an year with fuel price disparity. So much to think. I have attached a few pics below, please excuse the quality - too much of jostling going on at the dealership.

Pic1: Profile
MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-imag0322_1.jpg

Pic2: Profile
MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-imag0323_1.jpg

Pic3: Console Lit
MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-imag0318_1.jpg

Pic4: ACC and Music console lit
MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-imag0319_1.jpg

Pic5: Dash lit
MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-imag0320_1.jpg

Pic6: Boot
MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-imag0314_1.jpg

Regards
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 09:39   #1093
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
I had an opportunity to test the new Swift yesterday. While the dynamics, handling are all appealing I feel the interiors are made up of cheap shiny plastics and are similar to ones found on the Figo.

Guess you are the first, to have an opinion on the interiors being 'cheap'. Let's await the official TBHP review!

Cheers,

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd August 2011 at 09:43.
Old 22nd August 2011, 09:41   #1094
BHPian

Has the rear bumber disappeared, it looks more like the one on Figo now, inline with the hatch door.
Old 22nd August 2011, 09:46   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Guess you are the first, to have an opinion on the interiors being 'cheap'. Let's await the official TBHP review!

Cheers,
Well the TBHP review is not going to change that. Just check the interiors of a Fabia/Polo/I20 and then you will know what I am talking about. Bar has been raised in my opinion and MSIL has fallen short.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed