Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2011, 11:54   #1171
Senior - BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I have been promised delivery of my Zdi on the 5th of September, maybe even sooner.
Nice Look forward to your review and pictures, since the TBHP review seems to have been put on the back burner. No sign of that even after more that a week of the launch!
Old 25th August 2011, 12:00   #1172
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I would not attribute this to engineering brilliance alone, it is more an outcome of the design philosophy.
Exactly. Jazz and Swift, purely in terms of car making follow two extreme design philosophies. Well I don't mean to extol or demean one over the other but 'in an ideal scenario' they seek to cater to entirely different needs (I am not talking of segments here). While Jazz has been designed from inside out it is the other way round in case of Swift.

Let's take the USPs of Jazz. They are engine and interior space. Now lets take the USPs of Swift; the 'fun quotient' and ACC. While one carries the premium tag of Honda, albeit they tried unsuccessfully to make people pay more than 1.5 lakh for it and failed miserably (kudos to us Indians) the other boasts of an excellent A.S.S. network.

Both are excellent cars and the reports of people who had booked Swift Petrol switching over to Jazz are telltale signs of our confusion on expectations from a car. Ideally wouldn't we have wanted a car that had the space of Jazz and joy of driving of Swift? Unfortunately, in design parlance the twain do not meet. But well that's life and till the time the engineers find a solution let's

Last edited by anandjha : 25th August 2011 at 12:07.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:08   #1173
BHPian

On Tuesday got a Chance to visit Popular Mechanics Showroom near velachery. They had a ZXI and ZDI model on display. Wait time I was told was 2 months for ZXI and 4 months for ZDI.
Today I got a Call from the same dealer and was informed that they have a Silver Swift ZXI variant which can be delivered in 10-15 days time. So prospective ZXI owners grab this opportunity and own your dream.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:09   #1174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would not attribute this to engineering brilliance alone, it is more an outcome of the design philosophy. It is what you want to deliver to the cutomers as a manufacturer. And, any design will have its Ifs and Buts.

Enjoy all cars for what they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I agree. Somehow, even though the Jazz has many stellar attributes such as very good interior space, good quality interiors etc., the ANSS interiors have taken it to the next level. The sporty cockpit like feling that you get once you sit in the ANSS is just not to be found, in my opinion, in the Jazz. Though in terms of practicality, the Jazz probably rates higher, but for the sheer sporty, compact, coccooned feel of a hot hatch, the ANSS wins hands down.

To each his own therefore. FOr a small family, the JAzz is a great option, while for a single person like me, who loves the handling and engine feel of the ANSS, its the latter all the way!
Guys, agreed. To each his own. But, I just stated my comment based on someone else's comment on the dimensions of Jazz and Swift.

I just LOVE both the cars for what they are. Both the K-series and iVetc engines are best petrol engines in India. If I were a bachlor, Swift is a obvious choice and for family man like me, Jazz is PERFECT, though this is not some thumb rule.

BEST time to buy petrol hatch, agreed 200%.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:14   #1175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
BEST time to buy petrol hatch, agreed 200%.
Absolutely.

Sadly I am in a complete dilemma as to whether to go for the petrol or diesel swift. My monthly running being 1000 kms per month (borderline case), there seem to be equal proponents of petrol and diesel advocates for my cause. I am thoroughly confused, and even though I have checked the various petrol v. diesel threads on the forum, I remain as confused as day one. The problem being that Swift has the rare distinction of being one of the few cars where both engines are equally brilliant, thereby making it difficult to reach a conclusion.

One morning I wake up thinking petrol, while by afternoon it appears diesel.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:15   #1176
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
If I were a bachlor, Swift is a obvious choice and for family man like me, Jazz is PERFECT, though this is not some thumb rule.
O Com'mon now. I am, like you, married with two daughters, 8 and the other is little over 1. Till now managing quite well with my Wagon R, rear seat and boot space are perfect for long distance travel. Why I am thinking of switching to Swift D is because of safety issues and obviously the diesel price.

Quote:
Absolutely.

Sadly I am in a complete dilemma as to whether to go for the petrol or diesel swift. My monthly running being 1000 kms per month (borderline case), there seem to be equal proponents of petrol and diesel advocates for my cause. I am thoroughly confused, and even though I have checked the various petrol v. diesel threads on the forum, I remain as confused as day one. The problem being that Swift has the rare distinction of being one of the few cars where both engines are equally brilliant, thereby making it difficult to reach a conclusion.

It appears from your post that difference in price of P & D is not an issue. If that is the case go for diesel. Not only you'll find the car fun to drive but your monthly usage too is bound to increase or else you can easily go on long drives without calculating how much it is going to cost.

Last edited by bblost : 25th August 2011 at 15:59. Reason: back to back posts. Please use multiquote when replying to multiple posts.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:21   #1177
BHPian

Quote:

But, what Maruti has done by not giving us the split rear seat cannot be ignored. That was a glaring mistake. I am sure, they will correct this in the future. The new Jazz will make them do it. The new pricing for the Jazz has sent serious shock wave through the industry. Best time to buy a petrol hatch if you ask me.
Adding a split rear seat shouldn't be difficult logically speaking. If Maruti really cares, they can always add this in all Swifts in the future and maybe offer a replacement back seat for current new Swift owners as a goodwill gesture. Its just a split seat, no rocket science involved. Can't blame Maruti for the small boot in the Swift since the car's design is Suzuki's creation. But leaving out the split seat option when the Euro variants have it is a silly move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Came across this demo swift in Calcutta,love those alloys.
Those alloys look great when seen in person. Pictures do not do enough justice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post

Let's take the USPs of Jazz. They are engine and interior space. Now lets take the USPs of Swift; the 'fun quotient' and ACC.

Both are excellent cars and the reports of people who had booked Swift Petrol switching over to Jazz are telltale signs of our confusion on expectations from a car. Ideally wouldn't we have wanted a car that had the space of Jazz and joy of driving of Swift? Unfortunately, in design parlance the twain do not meet. But well that's life and till the time the engineers find a solution let's
You are right. Interior space and the Honda tag are the Jazz's USP. It is well known that the Jazz suffers from poor low end response. The new petrol Swift is much better in that respect. Handling of the Swift is way better too. Its the lack of space in Swift which is pushing people towards the Jazz.

No confusion if you are looking for a diesel hatch though. Honda does not even give you a choice here.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:24   #1178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
O Com'mon now. I am, like you, married with two daughters, 8 and the other is little over 1. Till now managing quite well with my Wagon R, rear seat and boot space are perfect for long distance travel. Why I am thinking of switching to Swift D is because of safety issues and obviously the diesel price.
Dear Anand

Chill dude. If you read my statement clearly, I have said that "This is not a Thumb Rule".

Lets not pollute the Swift thread with comparisons with the Jazz. We should have another thread for this. What say?

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 25th August 2011 at 12:25.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:25   #1179
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely.

If budget is not a constraint, if Jazz is not on your list and you are only contemplating between petrol and diesel Swifts, the diesel would be a better option. My usage is even lesser than yours and yet I am strongly inclined towards the diesel. Space is not an issue since this is going to be the second car in the family after a sedan and primarily for city use.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 25th August 2011 at 12:27.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:33   #1180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
If budget is not a constraint, if Jazz is not on your list and you are only contemplating between petrol and diesel Swifts, the diesel would be a better option. My usage is even lesser than yours and yet I am strongly inclined towards the diesel. Space is not an issue since this is going to be the second car in the family after a sedan and primarily for city use.
Jazz is not on my list since I have never liked the Jazz that much, irrespective of price considerations (i.e. with the recent price reduction), and inspite of its other attributes. I am indeed contemplating only between the Petrol and Diesel Swifts. In fact, have been waiting for the launch for the last 2 years

Space is also not an issue for me, since I will be the only one in the car, and at most there may be the occasional other passenger riding shotgun. Primarily a bachelor's ride. I am taking heart from the fact that your usage is less than mine and yet you are looking at the Swift D.

The fact is that the initial capital outlay is almost 1.1 lakh more here in Bangalore, and to justify that premium, I am vacillating between the P and D variants. The break even point has come down in recent times with the insane fuel price difference, and hence I am now in borderline territory with a 1000kms usage. If this were last years fuel prices being considered, I would not even have considered diesel, since the Petrol is also an equally good engine in its own right, especially with VVT being on offer now.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 25th August 2011 at 12:35.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:42   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
Space is also not an issue for me, since I will be the only one in the car, and at most there may be the occasional other passenger riding shotgun. Primarily a bachelor's ride. I am taking heart from the fact that your usage is less than mine and yet you are looking at the Swift D.

The fact is that the initial capital outlay is almost 1.1 lakh more here in Bangalore, and to justify that premium, I am vacillating between the P and D variants. The break even point has come down in recent times with the insane fuel price difference, and hence I am now in borderline territory with a 1000kms usage.
Bangalore car prices are seriously a killer. A 1.1L difference is something to think over. Here in Mumbai, the difference is 92K. Considering the time spent in traffic and petrol prices the way they are, sometimes the initial extra capital spent seems like a worthwhile investment.
Old 25th August 2011, 14:40   #1182
BANNED

Quote:
To keep all us going till the 'BIG' one is here, a good review of the new Swift. Nice detailed pictures too.

Don't miss the 3 different sections from the drop down: Design Review, User Experience Review and Swift ZDi Performance Review

http://www.oncars.in/Maruti-Suzuki-cars/Maruti-Suzuki-Swift-%282011%29/reviews-ratings/on-cars-Model-reviews/Swift-%282011%29/759572/1/183

Courtesy: New Cars - On Cars India | Car Finder, Car Comparison, Car Reviews & Ratings, Car News, Car Videos & Photos - OnCars.in
Thanks for the info! That's a very detailed review. Compensates the missing TBHP review.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 16:44   #1183
Senior - BHPian

Go for the swift D, the old swift diesel with its torquey nature was more fun to drive compared to its petrol counterpart. Going by the reviews now the petrol variant seems to have closed this gap with diesel, but personally diesel is still my pick. One more reason in the diesel's favour is you will recover this initial investment of the diesel car (+some more) compared to the petrol variant when you decide to sell off your car. This is very true in a market like bangalore where a similar vintage swift D commands a premium of around 1.5 lakhs over its petrol counterpart during resale. Please check the used car prices and you will know what I mean here.

All the best to your decision making process.

Quote:
I am indeed contemplating only between the Petrol and Diesel Swifts. In fact, have been waiting for the launch for the last 2 years

The fact is that the initial capital outlay is almost 1.1 lakh more here in Bangalore, and to justify that premium, I am vacillating between the P and D variants. The break even point has come down in recent times with the insane fuel price difference, and hence I am now in borderline territory with a 1000kms usage. If this were last years fuel prices being considered, I would not even have considered diesel, since the Petrol is also an equally good engine in its own right, especially with VVT being on offer now.
Old 25th August 2011, 20:21   #1184
BHPian

Hi!

Took a TD of ZXI yesterday at the nearest Maruti Showroom. No diesel option was avilable for TD/display. Interior looks a lot better & premium feel is instanteneous. Interior space looked same as the old one, but boot space has reduced to a deal-breaking level for some. Sound quality is ok with two tweeters. ACC felt effective too.

To me driver's seat felt little cramped when compared to the old one. I could not keep my legs wide enough to my liking , as movement of both were obstucted by Central console on left & power window console at right. Probably a better seat & steering adjustment would have helped. But since it was manageable, I did not try different combinations. Again, the upper portion of my knee brushed quite a few times uncomfortably with the plastic panel under the steering column. I had similar experience with i-20s.

The engine felt extremely refined. More so in comparion to the same engine in Ritz both at idle & while on the run. I could take the car upto 120 kmph effortlessly after which it took lot of time to touch 130 kmph & I had to slow down after that. Did not feel the engine punchy. For normal driving it is ok, but someone looking for quick accelaration may not get total satisfaction. I think diesel would be lot better in this respect. Ride was not bouncy. Handling was extremely good & the car felt very much under control @ 130 kmph, the maximum I could achieve. Frankly, I had expected better performance from the engine in VVT avtar with more BHP than the old one.

The instant FE meter showed in km/ lit format & not in lit/100 km(as said by some one earlier). Good for we Indians. The av. meter was showing a reading of 13.7 km/ lit where as instant FE meter was hovering from 9 to 26 km/lit during my test run.

Need your opinion/views on the followings:

1. Which one will be more enjoyable to drive- petrol swift or diesel- my call is diesel.
2. As I need a driver's car, I am terribly confused after booking of Verna Fludic 1.6 CRDI SX. I am sure Swift Diesel will be more fun to drive when compared to Fluditic CDRI, but what could be the margin of difference?

Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 20:59   #1185
Senior - BHPian

^^Verna was never known to be a good handler. This current version also disappoints on the same count. Swift D will be more fun and engaging. So really speaking choice is rather simple to make.

Why there is no Team-BHP review of Swift? Is Maruti scared of getting the Swift ripped apart by the T-BHP and hence hiding?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks