Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2011, 11:59   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

Some indications on the swift Next Gen

Indian car launches in July and August 2011 include Ford Fiesta, Force One SUV, Beat diesel small car and more | DWS Auto India

Highlights:

Engine

Under the hood, the new Swift will have a re-engineered petrol motor that will produce around 90 bhp of maximum power, making it 5 bhp more powerful than the current model’s 1.2 litre K-series engine.
The diesel version is expected to come with the same 1.3 litre DDiS engine that powers the current Swift diesel. This engine makes 75 bhp of max power.
Price & Competition

The new Swift will be priced 5-7% (Rs. 26,000 approx) higher than the current models’ range that starts from Rs. 4.09 lakh and goes up to Rs. 5.56 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).
The new Swift will compete with cars like the Ford Figo, Hyundai i20, Hyundai i10, Toyota Etios Liva, upcoming Honda Brio, Nissan Micra, Volkswagen Polo, Skoda Fabia and Tata Indica Vista

Cheers!
Old 12th July 2011, 13:47   #107
BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
Was casually surfing the Swift Uk website, and noticed that the Start-Stop button and Bluetooth capability is not offered on the diesel version. And in my opinion, now it looks highly unlikely to be offered here. Quite saddened by the findings.

Can our Scoop-Master Sid throw some light on this?
The UK site probably isn't updated. The start/stop feature was added to the diesel variant later. Here is the link:

2011 Suzuki Swift diesel with start stop launched in Europe | Rush Lane

Very unlikely the Indian Swift will have this feature. Lets hope it does.
fuel_addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 17:01   #108
Senior - BHPian

Can someone explain in clear words. When we say All new Swift are we meaning there will be change in the dimensions of the car, its wheel span its width its height etc just like how WagonR became All New.

Or are we taking about small changes like dashboard (which I already see), headlight change, tail lamp change, engine tweaking etc.. alone.

I am asking because if the change is only what I quoted in the second part then I would not dare call it model change, its just a major freshening. And such major freshening doesnt deserver this much hype that its creating.

Please help me to understand list of changes so that we can categorize it the right way.

Does anyone have a high level list of changes???
Old 12th July 2011, 17:17   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Can someone explain in clear words. When we say All new Swift are we meaning there will be change in the dimensions of the car, its wheel span its width its height etc just like how WagonR became All New.

Or are we taking about small changes like dashboard (which I already see), headlight change, tail lamp change, engine tweaking etc.. alone.

I am asking because if the change is only what I quoted in the second part then I would not dare call it model change, its just a major freshening. And such major freshening doesnt deserver this much hype that its creating.

Please help me to understand list of changes so that we can categorize it the right way.

Does anyone have a high level list of changes???
Its called the second generation of the Swift and will not have cosmetic changes alone. The overall dimensions, wheelbase, interior space will be more than the current Swift. The engine changes to the petrol version are major while the diesel gets minor tweaking as per reports with the power output remaining unchanged.
Old 12th July 2011, 19:05   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
When we say All new Swift are we meaning there will be change in the dimensions of the car, its wheel span its width its height etc just like how WagonR became All New.
There is a dimensional change especially with the wheelbase. Also the car is slightly wider than current gen taking the handling to a higher level as per reports.

The interiors also get slight make over and is reported to come with a higher quality than the current one. On the engine front, the power output is improved slightly for Petrol [may be with the VVT tech] and Diesel is tuned to produce the peak torque at 1750 rpm instead of 2000 rpm. Also there are reports that the FE for new Swift is 20 kmpl for petrol [Old FE - 17?] & 24 for Diesel [old FE - 21 kmpl]

These are the major changes as per reports. So its just not a cosmetic change or just a face lift, but an all new generation.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 12th July 2011 at 19:07.
Old 12th July 2011, 20:48   #111
BHPian

I do not find the absence of stop- start button a major issue. But it would be very very nice if Maruti provides power- retractable OVRMs like the i20. And an auto gearbox option on the petrol, or an uprated Diesel like the Punto 90HP, perhaps? Wishes, wishes!
Old 12th July 2011, 21:16   #112
Senior - BHPian

Since this segment is packed with choices, MSIL should offer more VFM in the new Swift, such as the ones mentioned below. What should be a must have, desired and optional is of course debatable. Any comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
I do not find the absence of stop- start button a major issue. But it would be very very nice if Maruti provides power- retractable OVRMs like the i20. And an auto gearbox option on the petrol, or an uprated Diesel like the Punto 90HP, perhaps? Wishes, wishes!
Old 12th July 2011, 22:04   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Since this segment is packed with choices, MSIL should offer more VFM in the new Swift, such as the ones mentioned below. What should be a must have, desired and optional is of course debatable. Any comments?
Oh, I am all too happy to oblige. After all, I am eagerly awaiting this new Swift. If the ZDi is real, I am surely a buyer.

Must Have: LDi with Power Steering and Manual AC + tilt steering column
VDi with added Power Windows and driver seat height adjustment + optional ABS
ZDi with Auto AC, ABS, Airbags, music system with USB port & Bluetooth, power fold OVRMs, keyless entry, parking sensors.

Desired: ABS option on the LDi

Optional: 90HP version of the DDiS, A/T option (I know that this is unrealistic since neither engine comes with one now), choice of factory leather like on the SX4

Don't care much about alloys- why not make them dealer option?

Willing to agree to pricing on par with the i20/ Grande Punto, a maximum of 7.25L ex- showroom for a 90HP MT DDiS ZDi, or 7L ex- showroom for a 1.2ZXi Automatic.
Old 12th July 2011, 23:44   #114
BHPian

Good news for those who are expecting a ZDI option in swift.. It is 100% confirmed. Cant disclose the source. In case someone comes up with certain disclosures trust me that ill be able to confirm them as well but cant say more than this..
Enjoy

Last edited by psbali : 12th July 2011 at 23:48. Reason: Addition
psbali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 12:14   #115
BHPian

Received a confirmation from Mahalaxmi Auto yesterday that there would be a delay in the delivery of the Zdi variant though deliveries for other variats would begin towards August end.
Old 13th July 2011, 13:06   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
Good news for those who are expecting a ZDI option in swift.. It is 100% confirmed. Cant disclose the source. In case someone comes up with certain disclosures trust me that ill be able to confirm them as well but cant say more than this..
Enjoy

Will it come with a start stop button and will it have 15 inch alloys atleast
Old 13th July 2011, 13:12   #117
BHPian

Alloys are there for sure in the ZDI, but nothing is clear about the Start-Stop button yet.
Old 13th July 2011, 13:21   #118
Senior - BHPian

One of your Must haves may be coming true with the ZDi most probably coming for sure. Anything else from the wishes bearing fruit???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Oh, I am all too happy to oblige. After all, I am eagerly awaiting this new Swift. If the ZDi is real, I am surely a buyer.

Must Have: LDi with Power Steering and Manual AC + tilt steering column
VDi with added Power Windows and driver seat height adjustment + optional ABS
ZDi with Auto AC, ABS, Airbags, music system with USB port & Bluetooth, power fold OVRMs, keyless entry, parking sensors.

Desired: ABS option on the LDi

Optional: 90HP version of the DDiS, A/T option (I know that this is unrealistic since neither engine comes with one now), choice of factory leather like on the SX4

Don't care much about alloys- why not make them dealer option?

Willing to agree to pricing on par with the i20/ Grande Punto, a maximum of 7.25L ex- showroom for a 90HP MT DDiS ZDi, or 7L ex- showroom for a 1.2ZXi Automatic.
Old 13th July 2011, 13:22   #119
Senior - BHPian

Do we have a confirmed news on the engine options of the new Swift?
I read in Autocar, that both the petrol and diesel powerplants might be the same with minor tweaks.
Old 13th July 2011, 13:28   #120
Senior - BHPian

As per information out in open the power plants will be the same as before
Petrol - K Series 1.2
Diesel - 1.3 DDiS

However both these will be retuned for slightly more power and for sure FE given the conditions prevailing of high fuel prices. Though I am not sure of the BHP increase in the diesel version as of now. Any comments??

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Do we have a confirmed news on the engine options of the new Swift?
I read in Autocar, that both the petrol and diesel powerplants might be the same with minor tweaks.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed