Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2011, 19:02   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

I spoke to the Reservations manager at Sagar Automobiles, Bannerghatta Road, a couple of days about Swift Gen II and this is the feedback I got:

1. ZDi variant is definitely on the cards, and booking for the same is also being taken along with all other variants.

2. Shocker- The VXi and VDi models will NOT come with optional ABS. Upon hearing this, I specifically asked him why, since the current gen Swift comes with the option of ABS on the middle variant, and asked him to confirm what he was saying. At this, he repeated that ABS will be available only on the top end variant. If this is true, it a regressive move from MUL, since there is no logic for withdrawing ABS as an option with customers like BHPians and others willing to pay the premium required for additional safety. Having said this, it appears that some forum members have booked VDi models with ABS. There is some confusion here as to the availability of optional ABS- can someone please confirm?

3. Wait period- 4-6 months for diesel variants, 1-2 months for petrol.

4. Booking amounts- Rs.10000 for all variants.

Note that the above information has been obtained over phone, and the veracity thereof is subject to details available on launch day, especially as regards point 2 above.

Be that as it may, Swift is bound to set sales charts on fire yet again. However, what surprises me a bit is that amongst the members who have booked (and stated the same in this thread), all seem to have boked the diesel. Do we not have any takers for the new VVT 90 bhp high revving petrol at all? Is the rise in fuel prices dictating this decision? From the sound if it (and reports in auto mags), the petrol will definitely be real fun to drive for high revving petrol engine afficianados!

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 23rd July 2011 at 19:07.
Old 23rd July 2011, 19:13   #287
Senior - BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I spoke to the Reservations manager at Sagar Automobiles, Bannerghatta Road, a couple of days about Swift Gen II and this is the feedback I got:

1. ZDi variant is definitely on the cards, and booking for the same is also being taken along with all other variants.

2. Shocker-
3. Wait period- 4-6 months for diesel variants, 1-2 months for petrol.

4. Booking amounts- Rs.10000 for all variants.

Note that the above information has been obtained over phone, and the veracity thereof is subject to details available on launch day, especially as regards point 2 above.

Be that as it may, Swift is bound to set sales charts on fire yet again. However, what surprises me a bit is that amongst the members who have booked (and stated the same in this thread), all seem to have boked the diesel. Do we not have any takers for the new VVT 90 bhp high revving petrol at all? If the rise in fuel prices dictating this decision?
I spoke to an Indus Motors SE yesterday in person at their showroom. For Swift and Dzire delivery within 4 to 5 months and booking amount is Rs 50,000 for Dzire.

Is there a petrol 90 bhp VVT variant?

Can any one throw some light on when the corresponding All New Dzire will be launched. Further will it be the CS version touted to be launched in early 2012, in which case the old model Dzire will continue to be sold.
Old 23rd July 2011, 19:23   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2. Shocker- The VXi and VDi models will NOT come with optional ABS. If this is true, it a regressive move from MUL, since there is no logic for withdrawing ABS as an option with customers like BHPians and others willing to pay the premium required for additional safety.
If this is right, its a REALLY BAD move. There are people who absolutely want atleast ABS in their cars. And the price difference between VXi/VDi will be quite substantial [atleast 50K] from ZXi / ZDi is what I believe and could be out of budget for many who wants to go for ABS. This could be a dampener for many, but not the most! Now the positive part for Mauti from this is the delivery times will be better for these models without ABS. I remember them having a shortage for ABS & Airbags and don't think this is yet addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post

Can any one throw some light on when the corresponding All New Dzire will be launched. Further will it be the CS version touted to be launched in early 2012, in which case the old model Dzire will continue to be sold.
The 90 bhp version is the same K Series engine equipped with VVT tech and hence the bhp is bumped from 85 to 90 bhp!

I guess the Dzire CS will come out in Jan 2012 and all NEW Dzire will come in another year or so. This is what I gathered from different posts here.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 23rd July 2011 at 19:25.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2011, 20:15   #289
BHPian

Flashback to the Past!

Sirs, let me rewind the time back to 2005, when the swift was launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
As far as I remember the Swift was not an immidiate hit as it is now when it was launched. Anyways I think the new Swift is going to be a super hit right from its launch.
Article from AUTOCAR INDIA, September 2005 - some 3 months after the swift's launch

MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-004.jpg

Swift easily breaks the top 10 within 3 months of launch and waiting is 7 months! Sales greatly exceed Maruti's expectations and production had to be ramped up!

Article from Moneycontrol.com, October 31, 2005

Quote:
Car market leader Maruti Udyog Limited today announced that it will increase production of its latest model, Maruti Suzuki Swift, by 30 per cent to bring down the waiting time for its customers.
The company, which has so far been producing at the rate of 5000 Swifts per month, will step it up to 6500 Swifts from November 2005.
Maruti has sold over 27,000 units of Swift since its launch five months ago. Following the overwhelming response to the model, the company had to go in for expansion of capacity. The process of expanding capacity, both within the Maruti factory and at the facilities of the suppliers, has now been completed.
I was one of those customers who booked a Blue ZXI on launch day (I think it was May 27 or 28 2005, not sure) and had to face the wait! Got mine delivered on 23-06-2005 after pulling some strings at Popular! Even remember reading a letter one morning from then Maruti M.D. Jagdish Khattar in the Hindu paper, apologizing to the customers for the wait period and announcing the ramping up of production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alam86 View Post
I think you remember correct . I distinctly remember not liking the Swift looks when it first came out. I remember calling it 'ugly' at one point.
On the contrary, I thought the Swift looked light years ahead of most cars in India when it was launched in 2005 - but after seeing sooo many of them on our roads, the impact of the design wore down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Swift set the charts on fire once the diesel variant came out. I could remember that the Swift was even offered with some discounts initially and people didn't take it light with respect to the looks.
But then the diesel changed the fate of Maruti and it in no time had the cash registers ringing and they never had to look back.
Swift shot off like a rocket even before the diesel was launched

Article from OVERDRIVE July 2005, 1 month after launch

MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-005.jpg

Another Article found on September 2005 AUTOCAR

MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-getz.jpg

Last edited by Games Goblin : 23rd July 2011 at 20:40.
Games Goblin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2011, 20:21   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
As far as I remember the Swift was not an immidiate hit as it is now when it was launched. Anyways I think the new Swift is going to be a super hit right from its launch.
I waited from August to December for my Swift in 2005 when there was no Diesel option available. It was definitely a success then.

Last edited by rajeev k : 23rd July 2011 at 20:27.
Old 24th July 2011, 13:38   #291
Senior - BHPian

Visited the Showroom yesterday to try to squeeze out some info on the new swift. They were really tight lipped and said nothing except that there will be a ZDi for sure.

Decided to take the 'old' Swift for a TD having come to the showroom. Was a ZXi, took it for a short spin, and fell in love with the whole engine, gearbox and handling combination! Man the Swift sure is a fun car to pilot around the city! Absolutely brilliantly calibrated engine, it pulled from low rpms with no fuss. Second gear has great throttle response!

This is the first time I've driven a swift, and I'm impressed! Right now it's purely a drivers car though, doesn't have much that will appeal to others - I guess the new Swift will sort that out.

We're all set to book one! Just waiting for the final feature and price list.
Old 24th July 2011, 16:35   #292
BHPian

Well I kept waiting and waiting till I finally decided to get the booking done for the new swift. The dealer here at GK-2(New Delhi) didn't disclose much except that there is a ZDI version also available. Gave him the 10K booking amount today, going for the ZDI variant, now I don't really know what all they will have in the ZDI variant but that looked like the best choice to me.

Keeping my fingers crossed in hope that my number comes soon, had been pondering for a long time as to which hatch back to go for, but then again I guess with so many people standing for this car and that it is an enthusiasts 'one of the best' bets in the hatch back category I went for it finally. Color hasn't been confirmed yet, it will be white if there is no new color that is introduced, wanted a black but family is totally against it, I wonder why.

Will keep you updated as and when something new comes up, though I'm sure everyone here will probably do it before me.
Old 25th July 2011, 10:53   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like Maruti is going to do something about that demand vs supply equation which results into waiting periods.

IAB has this latest info -

Quote:
August 17 will be the judgment day for Maruti Suzuki India as it will launch the most eagerly awaited hatchback of 2011 – The new Swift. Once again, MSIL will try to re-write the rules of the hatchback market. The good news is that the company is is leaving no stones unturned before the D day.

To make sure there are no supply constraints, the company plans to expand the capacity to 17.5 lakh units in the next two years.

Supply constraints are the ugly side of business. The demand exists, people are willing to shell out dough, profits just waiting to be made, but sadly the manufacturer can’t make enough cars. No manufacturer wants to see this ugly side but many of them unfortunately do.

Toyota India burnt their hands big time due to supply constraint when they launched Etios sedan in the market. The waiting list almost extended to 9 – 11 months. Of course, no human being can wait for a car for that long and Toyota India started seeing booking cancellations. Supply constraints can cause trouble and damage.

If Maruti Suzuki prices the Swift correctly, the little hatchback market is going to see some insane booking spree. It is an internationally proven product that is well tested, loaded with features and to top it all we have Maruti Suzuki’s excellent after sales network and cheaper spares.

Maruti Suzuki has been facing supply constraint on various models. They don’t want the supply constraint to hinder the success of the Swift. Hence, they are planning the third plant – Plant C which will take the total unit capacity to 17.5 lakhs units.

SOURCE - IAB (Maruti Suzuki expanding capacity for the new Swift)
Old 25th July 2011, 11:44   #294
BHPian

Quote:
2. Shocker- The VXi and VDi models will NOT come with optional ABS. Upon hearing this, I specifically asked him why, since the current gen Swift comes with the option of ABS on the middle variant, and asked him to confirm what he was saying. At this, he repeated that ABS will be available only on the top end variant. If this is true, it a regressive move from MUL, since there is no logic for withdrawing ABS as an option with customers like BHPians and others willing to pay the premium required for additional safety. Having said this, it appears that some forum members have booked VDi models with ABS. There is some confusion here as to the availability of optional ABS- can someone please confirm?
I had booked a VDi ABS the day the New Swift bookings had started. A couple of days back some chap from Maruti called me up and told me there would not be such a model from now on, and I had to change the booking to a ZDi or a VDi. I was too preoccupied and said change it to VDi.
I might still go for ZDi if they dont go insane with the pricing, but this is a very bad move by Maruti, atleast for the customers.
If anyone is getting the VDi ABS please let me know as it is still my first preference.

Old 25th July 2011, 13:42   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

I got the below info from Hormazd Sorabjee's tweets.

Quote:
Hormazd :: Drove all new Swift in the UK. Bigger and better now but not ... on Twitpic - Drove all new Swift in the UK. Bigger and better now but not a big leap forward

ME :: How did you find the interior quality of all new swift ?

Hormazd :: Not too much difference over old Swift

Question :: is it worth trading in the old swift 1.3 for. I have been using a ZXi for more than 5 years now?

Hormazd :: Definitely yes!
Old 25th July 2011, 13:57   #296
BHPian

Quote:
I spoke to an Indus Motors SE yesterday in person at their showroom. For Swift and Dzire delivery within 4 to 5 months and booking amount is Rs 50,000 for Dzire.

Quote:
If this is right, its a REALLY BAD move. There are people who absolutely want atleast ABS in their cars. And the price difference between VXi/VDi will be quite substantial [atleast 50K] from ZXi / ZDi is what I believe and could be out of budget for many who wants to go for ABS. This could be a dampener for many, but not the most! Now the positive part for Mauti from this is the delivery times will be better for these models without ABS. I remember them having a shortage for ABS & Airbags and don't think this is yet addressed.

The 90 bhp version is the same K Series engine equipped with VVT tech and hence the bhp is bumped from 85 to 90 bhp!

I guess the Dzire CS will come out in Jan 2012 and all NEW Dzire will come in another year or so. This is what I gathered from different posts here.
From a legitimate source, the new Swift Compact Sedan will be launched simultaneously/very soon after the Swift hatchback's launch. The present Dzire sedan will continue to exist above the 2 new models and an all new Dzire will replace the current Dzire in 2-3 years time. This will be a new development and is expected to look different from the other two models.

So, the positioning and pricing will be like.

New Swift hatch < New Swift Compact Sedan < Existing Dzire
Old 25th July 2011, 14:12   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
From a legitimate source, the new Swift Compact Sedan will be launched simultaneously/very soon after the Swift hatchback's launch.
Thats surprising since no one mentioned about capturing this car testing except the Autocar scoop! Or they decided to test it just within their test tracks since this is more of a "cosmetic" change and not involving the engine.
Old 25th July 2011, 16:43   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Thats surprising since no one mentioned about capturing this car testing except the Autocar scoop! Or they decided to test it just within their test tracks since this is more of a "cosmetic" change and not involving the engine.
That is insider info but yeah, it still is quite difficult to believe that Maruti will launch both together. More than anything else, they wouldn't be able to deliver cars on time!
Old 25th July 2011, 20:38   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From a legitimate source, the new Swift Compact Sedan will be launched simultaneously/very soon after the Swift hatchback's launch. The present Dzire sedan will continue to exist above the 2 new models and an all new Dzire will replace the current Dzire in 2-3 years time. This will be a new development and is expected to look different from the other two models.

So, the positioning and pricing will be like.

New Swift hatch < New Swift Compact Sedan < Existing Dzire
Do you mean that the CS would be based on the new one and the current Dzire as it is. Can't be. Even if the +4M Dzire is continued, has to be based on the new gen stuff.

Quote:
That is insider info but yeah, it still is quite difficult to believe that Maruti will launch both together. More than anything else, they wouldn't be able to deliver cars on time!
Very true.

Last edited by rajeev k : 25th July 2011 at 20:39.
Old 25th July 2011, 20:41   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Do you mean that the CS would be based on the new one and the current Dzire as it is. Can't be. Even if the +4M Dzire is continued, has to be based on the new gen stuff.

Very true.
That's what I heard. The new Swift hatchback and new Swift Compact Sedan will exist. The Current Dzire will continue to be sold until its replacement (which is an all new model positioned under the SX4) comes out in 2013
Closed Thread

Most Viewed