Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2011, 18:05   #346
Senior - BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

Seriously, how much money did they save by skipping some blue teeth ? A few hundreds ? Why not go ahead and give it as standard on the ZXi ?

On another note, I find that the paint quality of the new Swift (atleast in the shade in the photos) seems to have vastly improved over my year old model.
Thats definitely a good sign.
Old 26th July 2011, 19:27   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Do you mean that the CS would be based on the new one and the current Dzire as it is. Can't be. Even if the +4M Dzire is continued, has to be based on the new gen stuff.
I agree, this would make more economical sense for bin sharing. But also, the production has been shifted into another factory. So now this can make a case for the Dzire to carry on with the old shape & parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
The question I had was, if the new Swift was not announced, how many of those 25K bookings that 'theragingbull' mentioned would still have happened - 10K? 15K? 20K? So what's the real impact of the new Swift?
Makes sense. Now I got it.

Quote:
...Swift can move up the chain to fight Polo/i20/Jazz etc.
Suicidal move from Maruti. All these products were tagged & priced as premium machines and had the essentials as well [except the Polo engine ranges below 1.6L]. Maruti is never seen as a premium product and they always prove it by VFM factors and just about OK quality. So people may not take it lightly if they price the Swift into the segment above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusharsethi View Post
I am now thinking of cancelling the booking and going for a Pre-worshipped Optra Magnum LT with just 37,000 kms on the odo. What do you guys say? Does it make sense to get a 7L+ Swift?
Depends on your requirement. If you need a city hatch with higher FE & lesser service cost [pressuming its so], you should go for a Swift. If you are OK and "need" spacious car, then Optra is your choice. Both cars will satisfy you on the driving / handling front. Btw, whats the price quoted for the Optra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
Competition will eat up the swift! I am sorry fellow Indians we have been taken for a ride!
If they maintain the pricing within reasonable limits, the Swift WILL reign as KING. The problem is we still don't have an ALL-ROUNDER to take the sales away.

Quote:
The Interiors get updated right!
Quote:
And let's wait to see the car in flesh before commenting on the interior quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
...makes it look like the quality of the plastics has not improved much.
Auto car india review says that interior quality has NOT improved by leaps & bounds. So please keep the expectations low till we see the UN-biased review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Maximum output kW/rpm - 55/4000
Maximum torque Nm/rpm - 190/1750

Any clue if we are getting this engine here?
Talks & speculations are high that we get this tuning for India as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
But at least we have the hope that the Swift will be launched with an AT.
I guess we saw that AT might be launched with VXi & ZXi, again speculations.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 26th July 2011 at 19:42.
Old 26th July 2011, 19:53   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
185/65 R15 is the wheel size. I confirmed with my friend who clicked the pics.
That is one weird size. Not too many tyre options in that size in our market I guess. But 195/60 R15 will be an ideal upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_lat
As for as Swift is concerned i am OK without start/stop button but i cannot tolerate the inferior Quality of interiors than European Swift. I wished for Bluetooth music system and leather wrapped steering wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
Seriously, how much money did they save by skipping some blue teeth ? A few hundreds? Why not go ahead and give it as standard on the ZXi ?
We still don't know whether there is Bluetooth in the system or not. True, the buttons are not there on the steering wheel. But there is a chance that it can be like in the Figo, operated via the buttons on the music system itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious
Auto car india review says that interior quality has NOT improved by leaps & bounds. So please keep the expectations low till we see the UN-biased review.
I sincerely hope ACI is wrong. One of the biggest complaints against the old Swift were the rattles due to poor plastics. And MSIL should take steps to address this with the new one.
Old 27th July 2011, 00:36   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post
These specs do not look to be of the Indian variant.
Those specs are complete rubbish, Please wait for the official release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post
Btw any updates if the MID is introduced?
Check the uploaded pics the MID exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Sad to say but as much as I love my swift, I may never buy a maruti again.
Well said buddy! Same here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_lat View Post
If that's the case all manufacturers do the same and we have to boycott all the Cars.
I'm Sorry how so? Have a look at the i20! My point being that I will for one not buy this car. I feel Suzuki has undervalued us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_lat View Post
As for as Swift is concerned i am OK without start/stop button but i cannot tolerate the inferior Quality of interiors than European Swift. I wished for Bluetooth music system and leather wrapped steering wheel.
I am not talking ONLY about a start stop button. I am referring to the full package. Which the New swift does not deliver.
Old 27th July 2011, 06:40   #350
BHPian

Let the swift get launched on 17th July , just by seeing the leaked snap it cant be judged that's its interiors are not great . Wait for its launch and teambhp review so that we can come to conclusion its same old swift with inferior interiors or we have better swift we bhpians and India is waiting for .

Last edited by Safari_Beast : 27th July 2011 at 06:41. Reason: correction
Old 27th July 2011, 11:08   #351
BHPian

Not sure if this has been posted earlier:

ACI show on UTV bloomberg is covering the new swift with the first telecast tomorrow at 10.30 pm. should give a good idea of what the car is like.
Old 27th July 2011, 12:37   #352
BANNED

Source: http://www.dnaindia.com/money/report...-sales_1569767

Highlights:

"According to the company... “We are currently ramping up the capacity for the new Swift at our Manesar plant. To start off we will produce 15,000-17,000 vehicles a month,” said Seth. The company has already received 30,000 orders for the new product. Considering the increase in demand for diesel vehicles, the company is also looking at ramping up diesel engine capacity. It currently manufactures two-and-a-half lakh diesel engines per annum, which it plans to increase up to 2.9 lakh in two months."

Since DZire production is moved from Manesar to Gurgaon plant, its space will be utilised by Swift itself, IMO.

"Increasing the Diesel engine plant capacity" means Maruti will not buy the engines from FIAT's plant directly as rumoured earlier.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 27th July 2011 at 12:45.
Old 27th July 2011, 12:44   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Source: http://www.dnaindia.com/money/report...-sales_1569767

Highlights:

"According to the company... “We are currently ramping up the capacity for the new Swift at our Manesar plant. To start off we will produce 15,000-17,000 vehicles a month,” said Seth. The company has already received 30,000 orders for the new product. Considering the increase in demand for diesel vehicles, the company is also looking at ramping up diesel engine capacity. It currently manufactures two-and-a-half lakh diesel engines per annum, which it plans to increase up to 2.9 lakh in two months."

Since DZire production is moved from Manesar to Gurgaon plant, its space will utilised by Swift itself, IMO.
15-17k per month initial production will not be enough to satisfy the initial flood of bookings. The swift already sells around 11-12k units per month. And i expect the number of bookings by end August will top 50,000. Will take them half a year to catch up to those bookings itself.

Though there might be one interesting effect. I expect the price will go up by ~20k. In that case the price gap between the Ritz and the Swift will widen further, and it might just push a few buyers towards the Ritz instead. Still a net gain for Maruti though!

Last edited by radiokidb : 27th July 2011 at 12:48.
Old 27th July 2011, 12:57   #354
Senior - BHPian

I do not understand the entire hue and cry over the features (or the lack of it) from MSIL. Their cars have always been for the masses. How many of them are people like us? Honestly, how many of the normal buyers look at Start/Stop button, Bluetooth connectivity etc etc. They want cars that give good mileage. Look at the sky-rocketing fuel prices. It is but natural that they look for cars which give better mileage.

MSIL has never been the one's to give a feature rich car. But they still stand to be the market leader in number of sales.

As for the informed buyer, I agree, I would have loved to have better features than my (now) old Swift VDI. Plastic quality being one of them. But again, that would'nt mean I stay away from their cars.

P.S: These are my views and while I respect what others have to say, I do not want to stir another controversy on the thread. I suggest, lets wait on our grouse till we see the product in flesh.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 27th July 2011 at 12:58.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 12:59   #355
BHPian

Autocar will feature the new Swift on Bloomberg UTV at 2230 hours on the 28th July, 2011.
SumitB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 13:13   #356
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
15-17k per month initial production will not be enough to satisfy the initial flood of bookings. The swift already sells around 11-12k units per month. And i expect the number of bookings by end August will top 50,000. Will take them half a year to catch up to those bookings itself.
You are correct. But once the new plant at Manesar is ready after 4-5 months, Maruti can ramp up the production. Also, we can see a slew of new launches from Maruti - new DZire CS, RIII, new 800 etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
Though there might be one interesting effect. I expect the price will go up by ~20k. In that case the price gap between the Ritz and the Swift will widen further, and it might just push a few buyers towards the Ritz instead. Still a net gain for Maruti though!
Right, but hope Maruti will do something to Ritz's rear design for those people who dislikes it!
Old 27th July 2011, 15:31   #357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We Indians deserve better, Thereby I boycott the Swift!
I completely agree with you on stripping down features. A very bad move by MSIL, and one that has left many of us disappointed (Including me- as I'm also looking to upgrade from my WagonR sometime soon).

However, my dilemma- After boycotting the diesel Swift, where would i go to?

1. Polo- Has so many features stripped from the international variant. The fabulous twin eyed headlamps i just loved are not there. Heck, they even launched three cylinder engines to cut costs. My heart sinks everytime i see a Polo. If only it was available with proper a 4 cylinder diesel. And i think ABS is available only in the highline?

2. Hyundai i20- What a car, with respect to features and looks! And that 1.4 diesel is quite a bomb too! However, the driving pleasure is simply not there with the steering feel and the suspension setup. And i wonder why Hyundai still hasn't taken care of the a.c effectiveness to deal with the Indian Summer! Unfortunately, Chennai summer is something to be taken very seriously and the little Hyundai takes its own sweet time to cool things down.

And ya, again, you cant get ABS only in the top-end Asta version (Era, Magna and Sportz versions dont get them) which costs almost 7.75L on road!

3. No comments about Punto since it would take the thread another direction. Personally, its going to be my first new car and I cant take a risk with the FIAT brand in India.

4. Figo is again a good package, but again its build for the masses. An old generation international products beefed up for the Indian market, and has some build quality issues too! Again, ABS is not available on LXi, EXi, and even ZXi. Only Titanium variant gets it.

And then i take a look at the Swift again- it ticks all the boxes rather well, even for an informed buyer.
1. Fun to drive- Considering the segment, yes. Swift is one of the better cars to drive, and I think new Swift wont be a let down in that case.
2. Good efficiency- Yes. ARAI figures seem to be class leading.

3. New generation international product- Yes. I understand start-stop button is not there, however i am happy more important feature like VVT (petrol) have not been missed out engine. Gizmos can be added later, but the basic car features cant be changed much.
4. Pricing and ownership experience- Hopefully, Maruti will keep up its VFM card intact. AND, THE PLASTICS SHOULD NOT RATTLE. More than the start-stop button or whatever, this is the only one point I am looking forward to- proper build quality.

I dont know if i am an 'informed' customer, but unless the build quality is poor (Rattles like previous version), I see good sense in the new Swift too. Skipping features are as per the nature of Indian market (Not even i20 has provided ABS in lower variants, i believe). Lets wait for the official review before completly judging the product, shall we?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th July 2011 at 15:41.
Old 27th July 2011, 15:43   #358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But as An informed Buyer Suzuki has just lost a customer.

We Indians deserve better, Thereby I boycott the Swift!
I fully support you. I presume you will boycott all mfrs which do not provide ABS in all variants, and only in top end variant?
Since many of us are looking for a hatchback, can you recommend a mfr which is providing ABS in entry level?
BTW, what do you plan to buy now
Old 27th July 2011, 16:14   #359
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I completely agree with you on stripping down features. A very bad move by MSIL, and one that has left many of us disappointed (Including me- as I'm also looking to upgrade from my WagonR sometime soon).

However, my dilemma- After boycotting the diesel Swift, where would i go to?

1. Polo- Has so many features stripped from the international variant. The fabulous twin eyed headlamps i just loved are not there. Heck, they even launched three cylinder engines to cut costs. My heart sinks everytime i see a Polo. If only it was available with proper a 4 cylinder diesel. And i think ABS is available only in the highline?

2. Hyundai i20- What a car, with respect to features and looks! And that 1.4 diesel is quite a bomb too! However, the driving pleasure is simply not there with the steering feel and the suspension setup. And i wonder why Hyundai still hasn't taken care of the a.c effectiveness to deal with the Indian Summer! Unfortunately, Chennai summer is something to be taken very seriously and the little Hyundai takes its own sweet time to cool things down.

And ya, again, you cant get ABS only in the top-end Asta version (Era, Magna and Sportz versions dont get them) which costs almost 7.75L on road!

3. No comments about Punto since it would take the thread another direction. Personally, its going to be my first new car and I cant take a risk with the FIAT brand in India.

4. Figo is again a good package, but again its build for the masses. An old generation international products beefed up for the Indian market, and has some build quality issues too! Again, ABS is not available on LXi, EXi, and even ZXi. Only Titanium variant gets it.

And then i take a look at the Swift again- it ticks all the boxes rather well, even for an informed buyer.
1. Fun to drive- Considering the segment, yes. Swift is one of the better cars to drive, and I think new Swift wont be a let down in that case.
2. Good efficiency- Yes. ARAI figures seem to be class leading.

3. New generation international product- Yes. I understand start-stop button is not there, however i am happy more important feature like VVT (petrol) have not been missed out engine. Gizmos can be added later, but the basic car features cant be changed much.
4. Pricing and ownership experience- Hopefully, Maruti will keep up its VFM card intact. AND, THE PLASTICS SHOULD NOT RATTLE. More than the start-stop button or whatever, this is the only one point I am looking forward to- proper build quality.

I dont know if i am an 'informed' customer, but unless the build quality is poor (Rattles like previous version), I see good sense in the new Swift too. Skipping features are as per the nature of Indian market (Not even i20 has provided ABS in lower variants, i believe). Lets wait for the official review before completly judging the product, shall we?
I can sense a bit of bias in your posts. Figo Titanium is cheaper than Swift VDi which comes sans anything apart from four pw and fog lamps. We havent yet taken into consideration that Figo is much better built and rides if not handles better.
Old 27th July 2011, 16:48   #360
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
However, my dilemma- After boycotting the diesel Swift, where would i go to? ...
Completely agree with you. Almost all manufactures are giving generation old / stripped down / inferior quality / atrociously priced products in India.

Polo with those noisy 3-cyl engines
Figo with that outdated looks and lack of equipments
i20 with those irritating steering column rattles, weak 1.2 engine and AC, and ride issues
Punto with those niggling quality issues
Jazz with that atrocious pricing...

How can one single out a Maruti?

Among the competitors, Swift still rules the B/B+ segments, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
I can sense a bit of bias in your posts. Figo Titanium is cheaper than Swift VDi which comes sans anything apart from four pw and fog lamps.
And that biasing is there in your post also!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 27th July 2011 at 16:59.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks