Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2011, 17:12   #361
BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

Guys aren't we getting a little too jumpy about a car which is not even launcehed, the pictures posted do not reveal the real build and quality of the Swift.

I feel the Gizmos are something which Indian variants will never have because of the price conscious "kita deti hai" aam junta. So why fret and raise the hue and cry? IMO the swift is going to rock irrespective of the Gizmos available or not because of the "aam junta car" brand image and FE.

So lets wait and watch as "Delhi door nahi hai!!"

By the way I am promised the delivery of my Zdi in the first week of September!
Old 27th July 2011, 17:21   #362
BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

2. Hyundai i20- What a car, with respect to features and looks! And that 1.4 diesel is quite a bomb too! However, the driving pleasure is simply not there with the steering feel and the suspension setup. And i wonder why Hyundai still hasn't taken care of the a.c effectiveness to deal with the Indian Summer! Unfortunately, Chennai summer is something to be taken very seriously and the little Hyundai takes its own sweet time to cool things down.

And ya, again, you cant get ABS only in the top-end Asta version (Era, Magna and Sportz versions dont get them) which costs almost 7.75L on road!
I would like to comment on the point you mentioned. I as a current owner can vouch for it. Try out the any new 2011 model i20 and the AC performance has increased vastly.

And for the diesel i20 models, you can get ABS as optional even on the Magna and Sportz models. That makes a quite a good deal. check it out buddy.

But yes, I agree with you, Swift (or Maruti for that matter) has always been a brand for the masses. Not for premium or enthusiasts. Fixing the rattles in the current swift and little more rare leg space, it should be a great package for many.
Old 27th July 2011, 17:49   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post

But yes, I agree with you, Swift (or Maruti for that matter) has always been a brand for the masses. Not for premium or enthusiasts.
Not for Premium buyers maybe - but the Swift is a chosen car for enthusiasts over the i20 IMHO.
Old 27th July 2011, 17:55   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
By the way I am promised the delivery of my Zdi in the first week of September!
Cool man. When did you book the car.

I have not travelled much in the Old Swift. But I do travel a lot in the SX4. How does the old Swift compare to the SX4. If it is similar then I am a Happy customer. The overall package taking running costs into consideration makes it one of the best deals around in the market. tell me which car depreciates less than 30% over 3-4 years.

It is certainly missing features which I wish are given atleast as an option. Infact considering the amount of delay they have in deliveries, they should give the customers some options to customize.
Old 27th July 2011, 18:27   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

What's the controversry about? The new Swift has much better interiors and is about 30K more than the old Swift, which seems reasonable. Let's wait for the official launch before proclaiming its failure and declaring boycotts and what not!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 18:28   #366
BANNED

Quote:
And for the diesel i20 models, you can get ABS as optional even on the Magna and Sportz models. That makes a quite a good deal. check it out buddy.
What about Petrol versions?

Quote:
Swift (or Maruti for that matter) has always been a brand for the masses. Not for premium or enthusiasts.
I disagree completely. Swift Petrol and Diesel are enthusiast's cars, while i20 is not.

Not only Swift, but Baleno, Esteem, Gypsy, SX4, Kizashi, and even Alto K10 are termed as enthusiast's cars.
But what is there in Hyundai's stable? The old Verna Diesel and Getz Diesel only! All others like i10, i20, Santro, Accent are just duds!
Old 27th July 2011, 18:58   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo
This is ridiculous! Suzuki no longer values Indians like other countries, Agreed the swift has major updates but aren't they mainly cosmetic? The Interiors get updated right! But any 6yr + car will get that update.

What I expected Suzuki to provide was a plethora of segment first features like the start stop button, Bluetooth, 90 bhp, 6 airbags etc. Sadly from the images seen even the quality is not up-to premium standards!

Then at the end of the day what is Suzuki providing? A new Little-better version of the swift.

What I fail to understand is that is providing the ZDI variant the solution to shut up the Indian consumer?

The price hike will be nominal because Maruti has stripped down the swift to make it just another launch and here I waited and waited thinking that the new swift will change the Indian market!

Competition will eat up the swift! I am sorry fellow Indians we have been taken for a ride!

As for Suzuki, Congrats on creating a hype and achieving sales by fooling the customer!
Are you saying Maruti took us for a ride since last 6 years? You can do that for the first year, not for 6 years in a row. Maruti must be doing something right, don't you think? Even with competition catching up and providing more features, the Swift had held it's own.

How can someone conclude that interiors are not premium by just looking at the pictures? I find this amusing.

None of the features you mentioned are segment first even if the Swift were to have all those. Again we are speculating what features would be there without waiting for the official launch.

The ZDi was always sorely missed. What's wrong if Maruti decided to launch this variant?

The worst thing Maruti can do is to exclude the ABS option from the VXi and VDi variants. Again, this is another speculation.
Old 27th July 2011, 21:34   #368
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Saw the new Swift while going towards Agra from Delhi. There were 2 of them parked, both in the shade of orange. Did not like the wheels on the car, though i feel they may look good when the car is moving! Did not click any pics as my car was on the move.
Old 27th July 2011, 22:26   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Swift (or Maruti for that matter) has always been a brand for the masses. Not for premium or enthusiasts. Fixing the rattles in the current swift and little more rare leg space, it should be a great package for many.
When first launched it was a premium compact. It had many features which even cars a segment up did not have then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Not for Premium buyers maybe - but the Swift is a chosen car for enthusiasts over the i20 IMHO.
Till the launch of i20 Swift never had a real competitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Are you saying Maruti took us for a ride since last 6 years? You can do that for the first year, not for 6 years in a row. Maruti must be doing something right, don't you think? Even with competition catching up and providing more features, the Swift had held it's own.
For 4 of the 6 years, as the Maruti adage says, the competition was nowhere to be seen.

Last edited by rajeev k : 27th July 2011 at 22:33.
Old 27th July 2011, 22:55   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post
These specs do not look to be of the Indian variant. Example:
Ground Clearance:140.00 mm

Car will get killed with this level of GC in India. Btw any updates if the MID is introduced?
GC for this car is going to be around 165-170mm, even Gen1 Swift had 168mm GC.
MID is confirmed for this New Gen2 Swift as per Local MSIL dealer. And as per him their trainings for the same will begin early Next month.
Equipment list doesn't seems to be too great considering what its rivals are offering these days but lets watch out for the build quality though.
Old 27th July 2011, 23:22   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Equipment list doesn't seems to be too great considering what its rivals are offering these days
What equipments Zxi will be lacking compared to the rivals (i20)? 2 airbags instead of 6, bluetooth connectivity, and?

I guess we feel Maruti Suzuki is biased short charging Indian consumers when compare the international Swift. But when we look at the Indian competitors, the gap is not that wide! Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
but lets watch out for the build quality though.
Quality for sure needs improvement. These days quality is one of the mantra others are cashing on.

When swift was launched way back in 2005, the equipment list was amazing and unthinkable for the hatches. Maruti should be credited for leading from the front and setting this trend in the Indian market. Zxi was high in demand and had longer waiting period compared to other variants in the first year of launch.
Old 28th July 2011, 00:00   #372
Senior - BHPian

I need some advice for a friend of mine.

He wants a Diesel sedan and after much family brain storming settled for Dzire, leaving out the new Fiesta & Verna and Linea & Fiesta Classic, the first three on price and the last due to the Old tag which it will acquire too soon or has already acquired.

Inquiries by him revealed that the delivery period for the Dzire is 4 to 5 months.I advised him, in that case, to wait for the All New Dzire or the CS which are expected soon enough, although Maruti has not officially announced any such launches. I also told him to get a confirmation for the switch over if it is launched within the delivery period or roundabouts.

He promptly went to a dealer in Kochi with Rs 50000 in cash to book. At the dealership, after collecting more details, an idea popped up in his mind, whether to go in for the petrol Dzire which is available off the yard as someone told him that if the run is below 500 Kms a month paying the extra lac for the diesel is not justified.

The dealer is also pressurizing him for the off the shelf buy and has told my friend that no new Dzire will ever be launched and the CS launch will be sometime in February next and that the CS would be based on the all new looks and normal +4M Dzire will be same as the present one. My friend got partially tilted due to the immediate ownership desire within. My opinion is that the current Dzire would acquire the old tag too soon as new Dzire launch is imminent.

Friends your suggestions and advises are required here.Is the Dealer's version right about the CS and Normal versions.

Last edited by rajeev k : 28th July 2011 at 00:07. Reason: correction
Old 28th July 2011, 00:11   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
What about Petrol versions?

I disagree completely. Swift Petrol and Diesel are enthusiast's cars, while i20 is not.

Not only Swift, but Baleno, Esteem, Gypsy, SX4, Kizashi, and even Alto K10 are termed as enthusiast's cars.
But what is there in Hyundai's stable? The old Verna Diesel and Getz Diesel only! All others like i10, i20, Santro, Accent are just duds!
Petrol versions only get the ABS on the top end model Asta.

Swift may be an enthusiast car to some extent. Trust me, you wont be disappointed with 1.4 CRDI on i20. Its fun to drive as well. Agree, steering response is a sore thing.

Well, we are not here for Maruti vs Hyundai, so I would'nt comment on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
When first launched it was a premium compact. It had many features which even cars a segment up did not have then.

Till the launch of i20 Swift never had a real competitor.

For 4 of the 6 years, as the Maruti adage says, the competition was nowhere to be seen.
+1 to that. Things have changed quite a bit now. i20/Polo/Fabia/Punto are considered premium off late in the hatch back segment. I hope the new Swift does not target that segment. Its more of a mass segment car.
Old 28th July 2011, 00:14   #374
BHPian

Quote:
He should alteast wait till the launch of New Swift. Maruti might reveal the plans for Dezire and then he can plan appropriately.

And if he still plans to buy the current version of Dezire, after the new Swift launch, he might get a better deal from the dealer(!).
Selective is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 00:37   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

He wants a Diesel sedan and after much family brain storming settled for Dzire, leaving out the new Fiesta & Verna and Linea & Fiesta Classic, the first three on price and the last due to the Old tag which it will acquire too soon or has already acquired.
Is his running low to go for the petrol engine? I also dont see him checking for SX4 D which is one of the cheapest Diesel Sedan in the price ranges he looked at [C Segment]. Since I LOVE to drive, I would rather go for the Fiesta 1.6 than the Dzire Petrol. And no check for Manza D?

Quote:
Friends your suggestions and advises are required here.Is the Dealer's version right about the CS and Normal versions.
As far as the news I read today, this is right. The CS is supposed to come only by Jan 2012 and will be based on new Swift's look. The current Dzire will retain current looks even after Dzire CS launch. Apparently this news in a Malayalam daily was based on some interview with some top official [MD I guess] in Maruti.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 28th July 2011 at 00:39.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed