Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2011, 00:27   #496
Senior - BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

Autobox - if only they slip in an autobox in the diesel (or the petrol) - the one doing duty in Astar would suffice!
Old 6th August 2011, 01:02   #497
BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Autobox - if only they slip in an autobox in the diesel (or the petrol) - the one doing duty in Astar would suffice!
Yup. An auto-box will help the swift but don't you think that a 4-speed one will be pure sacrilege for such a lovely car? But again what else do they have, right! So they might consider launching the VXi with that auto-box. But with petrol priced sky rocketing I doubt if that will happen.

Remember Suzuki has the bad habit of playing it extremely safe. So it strip's down all the equipment available in other markets to get the price right. So do you think that they will provide an auto-box on the D?

Hope you got your answers mate!

Last edited by Furebo : 6th August 2011 at 01:04.
Old 6th August 2011, 01:12   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
Yup. An auto-box will help the swift but don't you think that a 4-speed one will be pure sacrilege for such a lovely car? But again what else do they have, right! So they might consider launching the VXi with that auto-box. But with petrol priced sky rocketing I doubt if that will happen.

Remember Suzuki has the bad habit of playing it extremely safe. So it strip's down all the equipment available in other markets to get the price right. So do you think that they will provide an auto-box on the D?

Hope you got your answers mate!

Yup - with Hyundai also chickening out to provide the autobox in the i20 diesel fearing that it would price its car out (when it has autobox in almost every segment) - there is little hope that MSIL would play the daredevil!
Old 6th August 2011, 06:27   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo
Nope. We are getting the same engine.

What do you mean by the old DDiS numbers? Those are merely tweaks that are done via the ECU.

Earlier torque delivery means; earlier punch in power delivery. That tweet says that the punch is missing.
Cut me some slack Furebo. I know we are talking about a car that you wanted to boycott, still.

My hunch is that we are getting the DDiS with Max. Torque rating of 190Nm @ 1750 RPM. And I believe the character of a Diesel engine depends highly on the Torque curve and there is more to it than mere ECU tweaks. Anyways, let's wait for a few days to know about 'the punch' or lack of it! I am sure the Mods are drafting a stellar review.
Old 6th August 2011, 08:53   #500
BHPian

I saw the new swift on Nelson Mandela Marg Vasant Kunj yesterday it had stickers all over like that of a test drive vehicle. White color looked great! And it was driven so hard and fast that i couldn't even lift my phone to click a pic!
Old 6th August 2011, 10:05   #501
Senior - BHPian

Siddharth (CNB) tweets:

Swift (Diesel) drive: And it begins! DDiS now. The handling has shot up on the diesel too. Sound damping cudve (could have) been better tho!

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 6th August 2011 at 10:06.
Old 6th August 2011, 12:04   #502
BANNED

Have they given the boot a decent space? Or have they given two hoots to the boot as in the European model? Any tweets regarding this. And Furebo you're right if they provide a ZDI option it would be great.
Old 6th August 2011, 13:44   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Cut me some slack Furebo. I know we are talking about a car that you wanted to boycott, still.
Slack? I merely put foreword the facts. Lets not bring up the boycott thing again shall we? Looks like you missed my earlier post read it again.

Quote:
Some of You'll Seem to have taken my comments negatively. What I posted was my opinion of the swift no way am I Anti-swift or something.

When I think about it many of you'll pointed out that the swift is for the masses and If we boycott it we do not have many options left!

What I had in mind was that swift may evolve into a premium hatch which it obviously is not going to. I still am not buying it.

But here's wishing all of those who booked it the very best!

Happy driving!
And yes in your future posts please don't slack up the facts.

Last edited by Furebo : 6th August 2011 at 13:48.
Old 6th August 2011, 14:56   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Siddharth (CNB) tweets:

Swift (Diesel) drive: And it begins! DDiS now. The handling has shot up on the diesel too. Sound damping cudve (could have) been better tho!
+ a few more tweets from CNB.

#Swift(d) drive: The car is spirited. New suspension and brakes great at high speeds. Tops off at 165kmph or so. SVP

#Swift(d) drive: Tilt steering also on base LXi & LDi variants. So are rear parcel tray and retractable cup holder. Nice! Not ABS tho!

#Swift(d) drive: ZDi is the pick of the pack for moi. How much wud u pay for this all new variant? Old VDi was priced at Rs 5.37 lakh. SVP
Old 6th August 2011, 15:11   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo
Slack? I merely put foreword the facts. Lets not bring up the boycott thing again shall we? Looks like you missed my earlier post read it again.

And yes in your future posts please don't slack up the facts.
You seem to have ignored the second half of my post. Selective reading is very convenient, isn't it? And it would be great if you can point out the posts where I have slacked up facts. If it's a genuine mistake, I can correct myself and learn.

Back to some facts on the Swift then. It seems NDTV Car and Bike Show is going to preview the new Maruti Swift on this Monday and the full review to be aired next weekend.
Old 6th August 2011, 18:44   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
Maruti needs to STOP playing it safe or it will in future lose the market to better equipped rivals.
They have more than 30K+ bookings for a car which is not even launched. Talked something about future and do you think MSIL would even care

Quote:
Include more features and safety. You will be surprised to see the number of takers.
Most of the MSIL products priced in the 7+ segment have always struggled to sell. They are still struggling to burn the charts with the Baleno and the SX4 even in its DDiS avatar.

Quote:
I have started thinking on the lines of a ZDI (O) variant with the start stop button, Bluetooth, 90bhp engine, 6 airbags and price it around the top end i20. What say?
Old 7th August 2011, 00:46   #507
Senior - BHPian

The Teaser video for New Swift is out :-

Old 7th August 2011, 02:21   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_lat

#Swift(d) drive: The car is spirited. New suspension and brakes great at high speeds. Tops off at 165kmph or so. SVP
So the Swift D tops off at 165 kmph and the petrol tops off at 140???? What is the world coming to be? Are the days of petrolhead numbered already??
Old 7th August 2011, 03:41   #509
BHPian

Again went to the dealer. The sales guy said he just came back from the training on the new swift. He didn't have too many details about the prices but did mention that all models will be 30-40K higher than the previous ones.

The ZDi version will be 70-75K more than the VDi. It has 15 inch alloys, ACC, ABS, EBD, real wiper, defogger, steering mounted controls, audio system is the one like in Kizashi(I think he didn't have a clue on that one), better plastic, wider and longer body which means more space.

It's just the margin of 70-75K minimum that he mentioned is what is putting me off. So we are looking at Swift VDi going to over 7 Lakh+ on road in Delhi. That clearly goes into the Polo/i20 bracket.

Waiting period as per him is about 2 months for petrol and 3-4 months for diesel here is Delhi.
Old 7th August 2011, 08:04   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
So the Swift D tops off at 165 kmph and the petrol tops off at 140???? What is the world coming to be? Are the days of petrolhead numbered already??
Do you seriously believe this guy?
My Santro did a top speed of 155 kmph on the speedo and I have done 140+ many times. I have done 160+ on the old Swift P. There must be something wrong with guy. No way it can be 140 kmph for the Swift P with 85+ horses under the hood.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks