Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2011, 18:18   #961
Senior - BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

They have got a superb car here! It just got more sportier! Pricing, I think they have done justice and I dont think they are asking for too much. if I remember, the VDI used to cost around 6.5 lakhs OTR in Bangalore earlier, so a 30k increase is not much. Yes, the ZDI seems very expensive, but the sales of ZDI would be just about 20% overall. So I guess It is ok for them to price it that way. And look at other competitors like I20, Fabia, Polo , Micra. Their top end variants are well above 8 lakhs.
Old 18th August 2011, 18:25   #962
BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
I feel they got the pricing on the ZDi messed up. Would you really pay 8 lakhs for maruti small car? Even though its much more than what was previously offered, is it a quatum jump justifying 1 lakh premium over the VDi. If the ZDi had come with the 90bhp at this price, its a no brainer.

They are cutting it too close to the i20.
Totally agree, maruti missed the whole plot with pricing, ZDI with 90bhp would have made more sense. Between are you looking for diesel car, I felt like from your earlier post
Old 18th August 2011, 18:29   #963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
Yup i20 is total sitting duck now save for the diesel. We will have a better picture in September monthly sales.

I am sure all the Swift petrol bookers too would be having second thoughts. Jazz any day kicks butt of the Swift and now more so with the pricing.

Cheers
In my opinion, Jazz's price cut will not make a big impact on the Swift. The swift petrol is still way cheaper! Swift has a cult following in India and I dont think Jazz can uproot that.
Secondly, if you have observed, price cuts have not helped many cars which have failed the first time around, atleast in the indian market.
Old 18th August 2011, 18:49   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
This is outrageous . how can they demand a premium of 15 K and promise a delivery in 10 days flat when others are waiting for 3-4 months. this should be reported to MSIL and strict action be taken against the dealer. black marketing has started IMO .
I know people who have bought the earlier swift with full cash in ONE day with 25k+ premium. BEAT THAT
Old 18th August 2011, 19:53   #965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
3000 Height-adjustable driver seat
7000 rear wiper washer and defogger
20000 Dual Airbags
20000 ABS with EBD
20000 Integrated Audio system with Steering wheel controls & 6 speakers
10000 Climate Control
25000 15 inch alloys + Wider Tyres

TOTAL = Rs.1,05,000/-
Good calculation, just that a few things arent priced right when you look at it from an assembly line perspective.

I think the actual figures should be:-

2500 Height-adjustable driver seat
9000 rear wiper washer and defogger (this is very complex to fit, wiring etc to be done from engine bay till boot door)
20000 Dual Airbags
25000 ABS with EBD (EBD and ABS are still not localized to a great extent)
13000 Integrated Audio system with Steering wheel controls & 6 speakers( even 13k is more, MSIL would have tie up's with aftermarket brands to provide them at cheapest rates)
5000 Climate Control (Nothing major with this feature to cost more)
17500 15 inch alloys + Wider Tyres (difference between 165 and 185 new tyres is marginal about 600rs or 700rs)

Total = 92000
With Bulk orders and other deals, it will hardly cost them 85k for all features.
Old 18th August 2011, 19:59   #966
Senior - BHPian

I can see a lot of comparisons to i20 and comments that it is a segment below it. I quite disagree with this line of thinking. To me now i20 and swift are in level playing field.

IMO, it is a conscious move by Maruti to move the swift one segment up to the premium hatchback position and I'd say they have been very sucessful at that. Just because the previous version was placed one segment lower, why do you all think the new variant should also be placed in the same segment? Lets analyze this more objectively - The i20 scores more in

- Space (cabin and luggage)
- Better Quality of Interiors (Assumption based on pics - I'll still give it to i20)
- Couple of extra features (Bluetooth, Auto folding mirrors - anything else?), more powerful diesel mill - 90bhp.

Swift is priced lower than the similarly specced i20 (i20 CRDI asta is over the 7 lakh ex-showroom mark IIRC) and is a whole lot more fun to drive (Ride and handling), equally good engine (though 15 bhp less on output for DDIS, 1.2 petrol mill of i20 cannot hold a candle to k-series engine) compared to i20.

Maruti has worked on the weaknesses of the old generation swift and has improved the new one in almost every area (Exclusion-boot space) and I dont see any reason why swift cannot be considered in the same premium hatchback grouping as i20/polo etc.

And lastly - anyone who has driven the swift for reasonable amount of time just cannot consider i20 in the same league as far as the driving dynamics are concerned. The swift will put a smile on your face everytime you drive it - test drive both the cars back to back, you will know what I mean
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 20:11   #967
BANNED

Quote:
I feel they got the pricing on the ZDi messed up. Would you really pay 8 lakhs for maruti small car? Even though its much more than what was previously offered, is it a quatum jump justifying 1 lakh premium over the VDi. If the ZDi had come with the 90bhp at this price, its a no brainer.

They are cutting it too close to the i20.
In Delhi ZDI is 7.14 lakhs, in UP it would be around 7.08 while top end I20 CRDI (without AVN) is around 8. So wouldn't the price of I20 too increase proportionally to say around 8.7 in states with high tax structure? In that case isn't Swift ZDI still well-priced? What do you say?
Old 18th August 2011, 20:20   #968
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Are you sure both will co-exist? Any concrete info other than the rumors running in Team-BHP?
I don't think all those are just rumours. Dzire is one of the most practical cars in Indian market and boot adds up a lot of weightage to it. If you decide to chop off the boot [at least a part of it], then the car loses out on the brownie points. And I heard that CS looks will be based on the new Swift and Dzire will retain the looks. Also the production of Dzire has been taken off from the Manesar plant which adds firmness to this thought / opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Sorry, but what is that?
A boot release which doesn't need key to be inserted or lever action. Once the door is centrally unlocked, you just need to pull the hatch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Isn't that black marketing? I mean how can they divert cars that are meant for others who are on the waiting list to others who are willing to pay more than the actual cost of the car?
Its only "us", the consumers who need to be blamed for it. Some people are willing to bribe the dealerships to take precedence. And they [dealers] hype the demand up to take the extra bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
This is outrageous . how can they demand a premium of 15 K and promise a delivery in 10 days flat when others are waiting for 3-4 months. this should be reported to MSIL and strict action be taken against the dealer. black marketing has started IMO .
It's been prevalent for years now and not only with Maruti. Same is the case with most high demand cars including T-Fort & may be Verna too now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Then how do you open the boot without leaving the driver seat. I mean at Malls etc. when security asks you to open the boot for check ups.
Just unlock the car and the hatch can be pulled up externally.

Quote:
It's just a 'feel' that i10 and i20 are upmarket by steep pricing and some beige nonsense in their cars. What if the car has highway ride quality issues (i10, Fluidic Verna) and steering, A/C, power issues (i20) and just has the upmarket feel? IMO, the basics needs to be right first, then only the other things come. Swift has the basics right, while i10 / i20 don't have.
I don't agree with your comment on "feel" of the upmarket quality in i series cars. Its definitely better than a lot [most] of Maruti cars. When I agree with the issues mentioned about i20, doesn't the "rule of basics" apply to the interior plastic quality of Swift? Or can we pass it off because Swift has high speed stability ? There are people who prefer comfort oriented ride of i20 than the stiff ride of Swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Predicting the Swift's doom is bad enough but suggesting that it will be dethroned by the Honda Jazz is even more laughable! ..., no way will it come close to notching up the numbers the Swift effortless achieves month after month. Brand equity counts for something!
For the time being, Honda cannot do much to the overall sales of Swift with just a petrol option. Once the diesel comes in, with the kinda price Jazz sport now, can give quite serious competition to Swift.

Quote:
I feel they got the pricing on the ZDi messed up. .
Probably one of the reasons they never had ZDi in the first gen. Please note that both the petrol & diesel top ends are costlier by ~77K [ex showroom] than its respective mid variants. So why is the ZDi pricing screwed up? If they had cut the features to reduce the price, that would have been the topic of discussion.

Quote:
Would you really pay 8 lakhs for maruti small car?
Well, we all had a big doubt about i20 on the same lines. But only time will prove the answer [which we already know] !

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Secondly, if you have observed, price cuts have not helped many cars which have failed the first time around, atleast in the indian market.
Depends on the car which got the price cut as well I would say. The price cuts on City has brought it back to shape in terms of sale, and a clearance sale saw almost entire Jazz pending sales getting off the shelf in hardly 2 days, all these data from the last 2 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post
I know people who have bought the earlier swift with full cash in ONE day with 25k+ premium. BEAT THAT
. Dealers will continue to exploit customers when we have such people around. Who is the one to blame? Is it really the dealer?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 18th August 2011 at 20:21.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 20:34   #969
BHPian

Can someone @ Maruti-India explain why should a customer pay exactly a lakh more for the new SWIFT compared to your chief competition and to compliment this premium,the customer has to "Wait his head off for 3 to 6 months"?
And whats more amusing is all the anticipation,praises,humungous bookings,the comments on public forums etc..
"DON'T TAKE US FOR GRANTED"!
Old 18th August 2011, 20:34   #970
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Just unlock the car and the hatch can be pulled up externally.
So basically all the doors unlock when you just want to open the boot. Not an ideal arrangement but well that's the pitfall of having all 5 doors on central locking mechanism. Thanks boss.
Old 18th August 2011, 20:55   #971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
What does the forum think ? Is a 1 lakh premium over the Ford Figo titanium justified for the Swift ?
Well, if you don't mind the fact that figo doesnt have rear power windows and you do not have a USB option on the audio player of the figo. The CRDI technology of 1.4 engine of the figo is some 1997 technology (read this somewhere) where as the DDIS or Fiat 1.3MJD is 2005 techonology of CRDI, but the ford 1.4 isnt that bad, shouldnt give you trouble for 1 or 1.5lakh km as long as you maintain it well, 1.4 is more noisy and more smoke once it grows older when compared to the 1.3MJD.

If you are okay with the above factors of the figo, its a much better buy than the swift. You will not only save 1 lakh, you will also get a more solid build car, i think better handling, better steering,bigger boot and more leg space.

Looks are your personal choice and you will have to bear with slightly more expensive service costs of the figo, but you will save 1 lakh upfront, which translates to 10k interest earned every year
Old 18th August 2011, 20:59   #972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Depends on dealer to dealer , Pratham motors have a Rs 2500 cancellation fee as a policy.
Wow Dealer is merry making money here. 2.5 K for Cancellation. Same car given to some other customer at a premium of 25.0K. Both Customers happy and Dealer making some Extra Bucks. Great deal for everyone.

Last edited by anu21v : 18th August 2011 at 21:03.
Old 18th August 2011, 21:19   #973
BHPian

Quote:
It's just a 'feel' that i10 and i20 are upmarket by steep pricing and some beige nonsense in their cars. What if the car has highway ride quality issues (i10, Fluidic Verna) and steering, A/C, power issues (i20) and just has the upmarket feel? IMO, the basics needs to be right first, then only the other things come. Swift has the basics right, while i10 / i20 don't have.
Kindly refrain from making dubious generalizations on subjective issues. Many, myself included, have been very happy with the I10, but that should not give us the licence to berate other cars with generalizations. Personally, I don't think the Swift is a fault-free car...for that matter, which car has ALL basics right?

Please respect that cars have their positives and negatives. Dismissing cars as "nonsense" is certainly not expected of you.

Thanks.
Melvyn
Old 18th August 2011, 21:21   #974
BHPian

Spotted a new swift test drive vehicle on the road today. Frankly, I did not even notice it as it looked just like the old swift. It was only when I looked a bit more closely that I realized it was the new model. It did not stand out on the road. It is clearly visibly longer than the old swift and very minor head light & back light changes does not make it look any different from the old model. Well, it is only slightly different when I saw both side by side on the road.
Old 18th August 2011, 21:35   #975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Totally agree, maruti missed the whole plot with pricing, ZDI with 90bhp would have made more sense. Between are you looking for diesel car, I felt like from your earlier post
yeah I am looking for a decent FTD diesel small car that both my wife and I would be happy with. She wants the features, build quality and space, and I want the power, handling. You see why its difficult to find a good compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
In Delhi ZDI is 7.14 lakhs, in UP it would be around 7.08 while top end I20 CRDI (without AVN) is around 8. So wouldn't the price of I20 too increase proportionally to say around 8.7 in states with high tax structure? In that case isn't Swift ZDI still well-priced? What do you say?
If the onroad price of ZDi in bangalore is 7.8L, the top end Asta CRDi sells for 8.45L. Thats a difference of 65K for better interiros, a couple of more features, 15bhp more and more space? But thats not the point, the point was Maruti cut it too close to the i20 for comfort.

I meant the pricing is too close and it will be a direct comparison to i20 Asta.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed