Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2011, 00:32   #1051
BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thanks for the short report guys.

One simple question to all those who have driven the diesel- Is it still FUN to drive? I'm looking for a fun to drive machine which can really attack corners and cruise effortlessly as well. Can it make the driver grin, the way the old one could?
Hi CrAzY dRiVeR, The new swift D is great to drive. In fact the handling and ride quality are much better than the old one. The engine has lost a little bit of its bruteness though. The surge after 2000 rpm is still there to bring the grin.
Old 21st August 2011, 07:11   #1052
BHPian

Folks, a noob question:
The alloy design looks a bit weird. From one angle the alloy spokes are inclined backward and the other its forward (Please check the pictures below). I guess identical design of all four alloys is responsible for this. But the question is, is this correct aesthetically? If the alloy spokes are inclined in a particular direction then there should be separate set for both sides.. again, its a noob question

MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-swift.jpg
Old 21st August 2011, 08:56   #1053
Senior - BHPian

Can someone please post good quality pics of L and V variants?
Old 21st August 2011, 10:39   #1054
BHPian

what profile of your tyre was on your old swift when you feel the surge because i have 195 profile tyres and there is no sudden surge of turbo boost like one feel in 165 profile tyres . And maruti did some tweak in 2010 swift BS 4 diesel mill so some surge was not there . And you must have test driven 185 profile zdi so there will be change in sudden burst of surge of boost . Waiting for your reply .

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar View Post
I drove one today and It's NOT as much fun to drive as the old Swift. The power delivery is a tad more linear and you DO NOT feel the sudden surge in power like the old Swift responded to the push of the pedal.

I took ZDi to 120 kmph today and slammed (well, not literally) the brakes and the car seemed to swerve a bit (as if it would have fish tailed if I braked harder) - could be ABS at work but it wasn't very confidence inspiring. But I am not deciding just as yet - have upgraded my Sep '10 VDi ABS booking to Glistening Grey ZDi. I have waited for almost a year for this car. Maybe, a few more test drives will help clear the confusion.

The audio system rocks - adequate and tight thump, with vocals and highs very distinct. You won't have complains with this one and the ones not interested to show off their music system won't feel the need for a woofer.

The ACC works flawlessly and the AC is an absolute chiller. The fabric on the seats is notch above and feels very soft to touch.

Steering feels chunky to hold and offers good grip. Tilt and height adjustment easily helps find a suitable driving position. Seat are more comfortable than the old Swift.

The waterfall design interferes with your left knee - especially if you are one like me who likes to drive with my legs spread wide. The tilt steering, however, helps with this. You can push the seat back till your knee if out of the console and still feel comfortable with the steering at lowest position - you will need to adjust it back upwards to get in / out of the car.

Overall, a decent package for Rs 77,000 extra that you pay for the ZDi. Here's my break up of the extra cost:

Audio with 6 speakers : Rs 20,000 (definitely worth this much. Moreover you can't get the tweeters installed integrated into he door panels with such finesse.

Five 15-inch alloy wheels (would you ever buy 5 if you were to get them after market?) with broader tires 185/65/R15 (must for Swift) - Rs 30,000. Alloys look good in flesh unlike the criticism it invited from the initial pics.

ABS with EBD, Airbags, Rear Defogger, Rear Wash and Wiper, Driver seat height adjustment, Electro Magnetic Boot Release, Steering mounted audio controls etc are definitely worth spending another whatever Rs 27,000 it comes to.

Maruti is giving 3 year warranty included in the price. 4th year will cost Rs 2600 in Chandigarh.

Forgot to mention, the gear shift is butter smooth - I loved it. Clutch is lighter now.

My verdict - go for it. Maruti's reliability coupled with such a hot and large selling product is sure a keeper.

Last edited by Safari_Beast : 21st August 2011 at 10:41. Reason: correction
Old 21st August 2011, 11:37   #1055
Senior - BHPian

No, it doesn't have foldable keys, but the a regular remote integrated key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusako
Guys, Did any one find out if the Swift has the 'fold-able' keys like the Punto/i20??
Thank you very much for your crisp report. From the initial reviews coming in, the feedback so far has been pretty positive. Looks like people have now started to realize the rationale behind the zdi pricing. Only dampener will be the reported 6 months waiting period, else this car has all the makings of a winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar

My verdict - go for it. Maruti's reliability coupled with such a hot and large selling product is sure a keeper.
Old 21st August 2011, 13:55   #1056
BHPian

Swift - You're the fuel!

Saw this nice promo video for Swift - Enjoy!
New Swift More Swift - Yuvog*-*
Old 21st August 2011, 14:07   #1057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thanks for the short report guys.

One simple question to all those who have driven the diesel- Is it still FUN to drive? I'm looking for a fun to drive machine which can really attack corners and cruise effortlessly as well. Can it make the driver grin, the way the old one could?
I haven't driven the older Swift D and so can't comment with respect to that. I had taken a short TD of the Ritz VDi and the new Swift D felt similar in terms of engine response. Yes, it is definitely more fun to drive than the Ritz or the earlier Swift. The suspension now feels much better and cornering abilities of the car are top notch. The Ritz does not even come close here.

If you TD the petrol and then the diesel, its the diesel which should be more fun to drive overall in the 2-4K rpm band which is where you would normally drive. Yes, there is a that lag below 2K rpm in the D where the car feels very ordinary. But once you get past that, the surge is still there. The petrol is too predictable in that respect. Linear power delivery all the way.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 21st August 2011 at 14:09.
Old 21st August 2011, 15:13   #1058
BHPian

Today i went to maruti dealership for test drive for swift Zdi and a swift Vdi was getting ready for delivery . So clicked some snaps of vdi version and plastic quality is way better then before . I just loved the new swift Zdi so i converted my booking of vdi to zdi . As per the booking list it will be my first Zdi from that dealership .
Attached Images

Old 21st August 2011, 15:18   #1059
BANNED

Saw the new Swift in real, and have to say it is sharp looking! Much better and mature than old one.

The problem is with its pricing - especially Diesel. The new Swift has clearly moved to a segment higher, and the prices can be well justified. But the problem is: when the Diesel Swift was launched for the first time, there was not much competition like this, and pricing was only the second thing. Now, with competition toughens, and price of Swift goes up (and others come down!), it will be difficult for Maruti to maintain the earlier sales figures, IMO. Note that total sales in the upper B segment is much lesser than that of B segment. But let's wait and see.

One thing Maruti has to do before launching anything else like New DZire or RIII is to redesign the Ritz rear so that no one would say "what shape is this" when they see Ritz and Swift side by side in the showroom, and realising that Ritz, having almost all the things what the Swift has, is way cheaper than Swift. Otherwise, Maruti is going to lose a significant amount of sale to the competition because of the new Swift pricing and Ritz rear!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 21st August 2011 at 15:20.
Old 21st August 2011, 15:30   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun
Saw the new Swift in real, and have to say it is sharp looking! Much better and mature than old one.

The problem is with its pricing - especially Diesel. The new Swift has clearly moved to a segment higher, and the prices can be well justified. But the problem is: when the Diesel Swift was launched for the first time, there was not much competition like this, and pricing was only the second thing. Now, with competition toughens, and price of Swift goes up (and others come down!), it will be difficult for Maruti to maintain the earlier sales figures, IMO. Note that total sales in the upper B segment is much lesser than that of B segment. But let's wait and see.

One thing Maruti has to do before launching anything else like New DZire or RIII is to redesign the Ritz rear so that no one would say "what shape is this" when they see Ritz and Swift side by side in the showroom, and realising that Ritz, having almost all the things what the Swift has, is way cheaper than Swift. Otherwise, Maruti is going to lose a significant amount of sale to the competition because of the new Swift pricing and Ritz rear!
Today i went to dealership and i saw the booking list of swift . And it was huge and they hav been delivered 5 swift yesterday . This swift will create numbers , its just a 30000 price increase for vdi and its total worth . They are giving electric adjustable ovrm , display console , lane change indicators etc and with maruti *** to support . When i saw the booking list of swift , it was too long . That dealership is smallest in faridabad where i have booked . I dont know what would be queue of swift booked at three other major dealership in faridabad .
Old 21st August 2011, 15:44   #1061
BHPian

Looking at the new pics of the VDi variant, I don't think Maruti has provided for the stock location of the tweeters, i.e. near the ORVM unit, as is in the case of the Z variants, which have tweeters in that location (or is there any other location for the tweeters??). There are small speaker grills in Z variants which I fail to see in the V variant.

Maruti could have at least left that location empty in the V variants with the speaker grills, which would have been so useful later.
Old 21st August 2011, 16:30   #1062
BHPian

But OEM grill will be available from dealership , and they will be pretty cheap . . No need to worry for V and L owners .

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjot1912 View Post
Looking at the new pics of the VDi variant, I don't think Maruti has provided for the stock location of the tweeters, i.e. near the ORVM unit, as is in the case of the Z variants, which have tweeters in that location (or is there any other location for the tweeters??). There are small speaker grills in Z variants which I fail to see in the V variant.

Maruti could have at least left that location empty in the V variants with the speaker grills, which would have been so useful later.
Old 21st August 2011, 16:48   #1063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
!
I kind of observed that for the past few months sales figures of Ritz had increased (Correct me if I am wrong here). Ofcourse this could be due to huge waiting periods for Swift but I think Ritz's rear is not a deal-breaker. I think Ritz has taken the place of previous swift and the new Swift has become a premuim hatchback. Ritz will now compete with i10 and the new Swift with i20/jazz. BTW is the previous swift being sold side by side the new one? (Pardon me for asking such questions but I just wanted to know).
Old 21st August 2011, 16:50   #1064
BHPian

Just now checked the new swift VDI in one of the Hyderabad dealership showrooms. Car looks much better and interior quality is very good. However, there is not much increase in rear leg room. Boot space is less and as someone mentioned loading the baggage into boot will be like a small workout :-).

Here are the On road prices for all variants in Hyd.

LXI - 520614
VXI - 566261
ZXI - 663943

LDI - 620218
VDI - 670762
ZDI - 761172

This includes Warranty for 3 years (4995), Registration (2750) and Handling charges (3950).

Waiting period told was 2-3 months for Petrol and 6-8 months for diesel.

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
sriswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 16:52   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
But OEM grill will be available from dealership , and they will be pretty cheap . . No need to worry for V and L owners .

Thanks Safari_Beast. That surely will be a relief, but maybe only for the V variants. That is because the L variants have internal adjust ORVMs, which may not allow owners to install tweeters at those locations.

I also hope that just changing the grills will solve this issue.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed