Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2011, 12:47   #1156
BANNED

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
The Jazz is only 5 cms longer than the Swift, but it has a huge boot space. The width is identical and the Jazz is only 5 mm taller. But as mentioned by fuel_addict, Honda has offered huge cabin/boot space, despite having almost the same specifications as the Swift.
The positive thing about the design of Jazz is that it converted most of the space into interior space and boot, while that of Swift is the sporty style it achieved by having those slanted upper body part panels. The overall result? IMO, Jazz is a mini van while Swift is a sporty hatch!
Old 24th August 2011, 13:37   #1157
Team-BHP Support

Did anyone from Chennai manage a test drive? If so, which showroom?

Saw the swift at Popular, Chennai today. Loved it. However, they still havent received their TD cars! Would love to drive this one!

Only negative i could find is the boot space, but its fairly deep unlike the pictures reveal. I havent used WagonR boot also much, hence not too bothered with it.
Quote:
By the way, very few are aware of the new pricing of the Jazz here in Goa. A number of jaws drop when I tell them of the new Jazz price list and the long list of features (comfort/safety) that it has to offer, even for the base variant.
Jazz, with its new price is a superb product and the space packaging is amazing. For a normal person looking for a petrol hatch, it makes most sense.

But, except for the high revving engine- its hardly an enthusiast's car, even in looks!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th August 2011 at 13:41.
Old 24th August 2011, 15:29   #1158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Saw the swift at Popular, Chennai today. Loved it. However, they still havent received their TD cars! Would love to drive this one!

Only negative i could find is the boot space, but its fairly deep unlike the pictures reveal. I havent used WagonR boot also much, hence not too bothered with it.

Jazz, with its new price is a superb product and the space packaging is amazing. For a normal person looking for a petrol hatch, it makes most sense.

But, except for the high revving engine- its hardly an enthusiast's car, even in looks!
I took a test drive (short drive) at ABT, Guindy. Although this drive was inside their campus, it was good. They have both petrol and diesel Swifts for TD.
Old 24th August 2011, 16:28   #1159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
IMO, Jazz is a mini van while Swift is a sporty hatch!
So shall we say that the Jazz is a very "hot" family car,given the price cuts now?
Old 24th August 2011, 17:18   #1160
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
So shall we say that the Jazz is a very "hot" family car,given the price cuts now?
Definitely! But I sincerely wish Jazz had a more aggressive front design. The current design seems too feminine.
Old 24th August 2011, 18:56   #1161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Definitely! But I sincerely wish Jazz had a more aggressive front design. The current design seems too feminine.
On the contrary, I love its simple/elegant design. Somehow, I can never like cars that have flashy designs (Beat, etc). I like clean, simple and straightforward designs such as Figo/Fusion, Getz, etc. Guess I took a liking for simple and straightforward designs when my dad had the Tata Estate in the 1990's.

Last edited by misquitas : 24th August 2011 at 18:57.
Old 24th August 2011, 19:18   #1162
Senior - BHPian

Guys all the showroom salesman are doing is trying make sale, by telling people walking into showrooms that there's a premium. In fact showrooms are trying to force people to take insurance and registration from them if the delivery is needed right now even if the car is officially allotted.
Nothing is company [Maruti suzuki ] policy, this all dealers trying to make a quick buck.
Old 24th August 2011, 21:07   #1163
Senior - BHPian

I checked the new swift in the popular showroom in velachery and was told it will take atleast another week for the TD cars to arrive.

I owned the previous generation swift before selling it off recently (bought a vento) and I liked what I saw in the new swift. It definitely feels a segment above the old one any which way you see it. I liked the quality of plastics inside the cabin (Though some parts looked iffy). Special mention to the awesome steering wheel which looks chunky and great to hold, chrome door handles in the top variants which adds to the feel good factor of the cabin, Seamless integeration of ACC and the cup holder on the dash near the A/C vents. Paint job looks top notch and I feel the front stance looks fantastic with those swept back headlights and subtle changes to the grill and front fog design.

Side view looks very similar to the outgoing one, since the blinkers are moved to ORVM the monicker on the front fender looks a little odd (May be they could have removed it altogether?). Alloys are ok - however I would prefer an upsize to 16 inchers since the space in the wheel well looks a little awkward.

Driver's seat was great, no issues with my leg fiddling with the center console (Im short in stature), and the front view was as good as it was before. Controls fell to hand easily and the clutch/gear shift was as easy as the old one. The earlier swift never really needed a driver seat height adjust, the new one can only make it better. The side ORVM's looked much more robust than the old one and I think it can take minor nicks in its stride much better. This was a major grouse in the old swift as even a small brush can break the outside cowl and the entire assembly needs to be replaced- it was that fragile.

Only downer is the boot space, but then I think thats a compromise many will settle for, in otherwise a fantastic overall package.

Waiting period quoted for ZDI is 4 months and VDI is 6 months. I was told VDI is the one that is more in demand (Understandable when the old bookings were only for this variant) but I expect the ZDI version to catch up with it pretty fast. I certainly think ZDI is worth every rupee that you pay over VDI version and for anyone who still cannot make a decision - please take a look in person and your opinion might change. I have requested for a test drive as soon as the vehicle arrives - and from what I have read and heard so far, it surely is not going to disappoint me.

This car rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

bala80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 21:23   #1164
Senior - BHPian

TD the all new Swift ZDi a few days back. All in i would say there is nothing much new to the car except for the VVT and interiors. My views are as follow:

- The new interiors looks good and the rubber feel is quiet upmarket. Overall thumb up for Suzuki

- Suzuki has managed to improve the ride and handling considerably, specially ride and high speed.

- Engine is still peppy but is quiet linear. Its like OLD Swift DDiS was Getz CRDi and new one is like i20. Turbo kick is still there but its more linear.

- Somehow they have managed to reduce the space both in boot and inside the car. The dash is more upfront so one has to push back front seats a little. During the test drive my left knee kept on hitting something under dash 3/5 times when i had to press clutch to shift gears. The thigh support at the rear is less and that might create illusion of better space in the rear. But all in all the space is almost same as the old Swift. Boot space might be just 11ltrs less than the older one but it looks a lot shorter on that account.

- Dunno how but Suzuki managed to make the car more claustrophobic than the OLD one. Sat in the rear and felt like i am locked in a cabin.

I would say a 20k hike is ok considering the new interiors, better ride and few other changes, but i hope they don't just go around increasing the price by 20k every year.
Old 25th August 2011, 08:21   #1165
Senior - BHPian

To keep all us going till the 'BIG' one is here, a good review of the new Swift. Nice detailed pictures too.

Don't miss the 3 different sections from the drop down: Design Review, User Experience Review and Swift ZDi Performance Review

http://www.oncars.in/Maruti-Suzuki-cars/Maruti-Suzuki-Swift-%282011%29/reviews-ratings/on-cars-Model-reviews/Swift-%282011%29/759572/1/183

Courtesy: New Cars - On Cars India | Car Finder, Car Comparison, Car Reviews & Ratings, Car News, Car Videos & Photos - OnCars.in
deetjohn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 08:50   #1166
Senior - BHPian

I have been promised delivery of my Zdi on the 5th of September, maybe even sooner.
beejay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 10:54   #1167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
According to the two websites, the specs between the Jazz and Swift are as follows:

Specs----------------JAZZ--------Swift

Overall Length (mm)--3900--------3850
Overall Width (mm)---1695--------1695
Overall Height (mm)--1535--------1530

The Jazz is only 5 cms longer than the Swift, but it has a huge boot space. The width is identical and the Jazz is only 5 mm taller. But as mentioned by fuel_addict, Honda has offered huge cabin/boot space, despite having almost the same specifications as the Swift.
This is engineering brilliance of Honda! If we take a case of Linea and ANHC, this is proven even harder. ANHC is smaller than Linea in all dimensions, but has amazing space on the rear seat (bench mark in C segment), the boot is as big as Linea.
Old 25th August 2011, 11:24   #1168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
This is engineering brilliance of Honda! If we take a case of Linea and ANHC, this is proven even harder. ANHC is smaller than Linea in all dimensions, but has amazing space on the rear seat (bench mark in C segment), the boot is as big as Linea.
I would not attribute this to engineering brilliance alone, it is more an outcome of the design philosophy. It is what you want to deliver to the cutomers as a manufacturer. And, any design will have its Ifs and Buts.

I love what Suzuki has done with the new Swift. The cramped interiors is the outcome of the design philosophy that they have followed. The Swift is a hot hatch which has to deliver on the 'Fun To Drive' factor and look good while doing it. All other things are secondary. For ex: Suzuki wanted to make the new Swift lighter and stiffer at the same time, the high loading sill for the boot is an outcome of that. And if they had fiddled with it too much, I am sure we would have complained, that the new Swift has lost its character. Now, we don't want that, do we? Enjoy all cars for what they are.

But, what Maruti has done by not giving us the split rear seat cannot be ignored. That was a glaring mistake. I am sure, they will correct this in the future. The new Jazz will make them do it. The new pricing for the Jazz has sent serious shock wave through the industry. Best time to buy a petrol hatch if you ask me.

Last edited by deetjohn : 25th August 2011 at 11:36. Reason: Spellcheck
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 11:26   #1169
Senior - BHPian

Came across this demo swift in Calcutta,love those alloys.
Attached Thumbnails
MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-chota-swift.jpg  

MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-swift-new.jpg  

avishar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 11:49   #1170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Enjoy all cars for what they are.
I agree. Somehow, even though the Jazz has many stellar attributes such as very good interior space, good quality interiors etc., the ANSS interiors have taken it to the next level. The sporty cockpit like feling that you get once you sit in the ANSS is just not to be found, in my opinion, in the Jazz. Though in terms of practicality, the Jazz probably rates higher, but for the sheer sporty, compact, coccooned feel of a hot hatch, the ANSS wins hands down.

To each his own therefore. FOr a small family, the JAzz is a great option, while for a single person like me, who loves the handling and engine feel of the ANSS, its the latter all the way!

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 25th August 2011 at 11:51.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed