Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2011, 21:00   #1186
BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Had gone to a dealer stockyard, saw all the variants of the new swift parked next to each other, may be they just arrived today.

Just talking about pure exterior looks for now,
It has become more curvy, Gone are the straight panels, the result is that the whole car is looking more swollen up to be honest if you look at it more closely.

Rear looks better, Front engine bay side panels look totally out of the place making the car look fat from the front now.

The small rear view window in the previous swift has got worst now, guess what?? it looks even smaller. back seat passengers will not like this.

looked at the steel rims on the LXI variant, very evident cost cutting seen, looks horrible !! The quality of steel is very poor.

Overall exteriors are just about okay, that wow factor that swift created in 2006 is not there.
Improving the wheel base of the OLD swift and taking care of the flaws was a better option than changing all the body panels on the new version IMHO.

Cheers
Old 25th August 2011, 21:07   #1187
Senior - BHPian

I respect your opinion but I thought maruti had addressed what you have mentioned below, Am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
Improving the wheel base of the OLD swift and taking care of the flaws was a better option than changing all the body panels on the new version IMHO.

Cheers
Old 25th August 2011, 21:27   #1188
BHPian

Finally got to see the ANSS in flesh on the streets on Bhubaneswar. I just can't describe how I felt that time. Had been waiting for this since God knows when.

Had been trying to reach the local dealers since the launch for a TD, but was always told that the TD vehicles hadn't arrived yet. So, called one up today and fixed a date with a ZXi tomorrow evening. Wanted the ZDi, but they haven't arrived here yet. Unable to wait any further and thought of at least checking out all the other factors other than the engine, but will certainly not overlook the peppy engine.

I hope to check the car out from every nook and corner, and I'm preparing a list for that. Guys, please help me out and throw in your inputs. I want to make this list as long as possible.

Thanks.
- Manjot
Old 25th August 2011, 21:31   #1189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Absolutely.

Sadly I am in a complete dilemma as to whether to go for the petrol or diesel swift. My monthly running being 1000 kms per month (borderline case), there seem to be equal proponents of petrol and diesel advocates for my cause. I am thoroughly confused, and even though I have checked the various petrol v. diesel threads on the forum, I remain as confused as day one. The problem being that Swift has the rare distinction of being one of the few cars where both engines are equally brilliant, thereby making it difficult to reach a conclusion.

One morning I wake up thinking petrol, while by afternoon it appears diesel.
When petrol car owners plan for a diesel car, they always calculate the usage based on the existing usage and when it is around 1000Km/month then its a tough decision to take between petrol and diesel.
I was a WagonR owner before with 1000Kms/month usage (average of 5 years). When I planned for an upgrade, after lots of calculation I decided for a diesel car and ended up with Dzire. Now its around 4months and I have traveled 8600 KMs. This is more than 2000KMs/months, it includes 4 long drives. So, If you love doing long drives, then IMO go ahead with a diesel car because it always gives you the cushion to decide on long drives, petrol cars will never. Also, you will love the pull of DDiS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
It appears from your post that difference in price of P & D is not an issue. If that is the case go for diesel. Not only you'll find the car fun to drive but your monthly usage too is bound to increase or else you can easily go on long drives without calculating how much it is going to cost.
Thats true, going for diesel will definitely increase the monthly usage and you will enjoy driving the DDiS.
Old 25th August 2011, 21:57   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I respect your opinion but I thought maruti had addressed what you have mentioned below, Am I missing something?
No buddy what i meant is that, they should have just extented the wheelbase of the old swift and not done anything to the panels. For your information each and every body panel of the new swift is new, thus it is making a car looks curvy and more swollen up from almost all angles.

Anyways many people are feeling the new and old swift look similar, so Suzuki could have saved a lot of money by investing on the new panels which are looking awfull IMHO the engine bay side panels is top on the list, they could have just extented wheel base on the old swift made the car more wider and addressed legroom issues etc.

Note : No offenses meant towards anyone who is either planning to buy a swift or has already brought one.

Quote:
Absolutely.

Sadly I am in a complete dilemma as to whether to go for the petrol or diesel swift. My monthly running being 1000 kms per month (borderline case), there seem to be equal proponents of petrol and diesel advocates for my cause. I am thoroughly confused, and even though I have checked the various petrol v. diesel threads on the forum, I remain as confused as day one. The problem being that Swift has the rare distinction of being one of the few cars where both engines are equally brilliant, thereby making it difficult to reach a conclusion.

One morning I wake up thinking petrol, while by afternoon it appears diesel.
Without doubt buy a diesel please.

1) Its more fun to drive, the turbo kick is fun. Its real fun to see other vehicles go far behind in your rear view mirrors when the turbo kicks in
2) You will not get de-motivated to take your car out of your garage, if you need to go for a 50km point A to point B and return back home in the city for some work, you'll feel its okay to spend 120 for a diesel but when it comes to spending 250 plus on petrol you'll think. this is just a small distance, imagine the long drives which are more than 300kms to travel.
3) dont worry about the extra 1 lakh you'll spend for the car in the start, just remember you have to live with this car for a minimum 50000 km.You cross 50000km in 1 year or you cross this 6 to 8 years, it is upto you. for every km your car is used you save 2.5 rupees when compared to the petrol counterpart, even if the govt increases prices of diesel by another 10 rupees and petrol remains unchanged dont worry. end of the minimum life span of 50000km you will be in profits, plus you will enjoy driving the diesel so much more which is priceless end of the day.

Note : I used to love petrol cars, i still like them, but after driving the DDiS and TDCI i've forgotten everything about petrol engines now, no wonder diesel is more expensive than petrol in most of the countries around the world.
Cheers.

Last edited by Eddy : 25th August 2011 at 22:23. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 25th August 2011, 22:24   #1191
BHPian

Quote:
No buddy what i meant is that, they should have just extented the wheelbase of the old swift and not done anything to the panels. For your information each and every body panel of the new swift is new, thus it is making a car looks curvy and more swollen up from almost all angles.

Anyways many people are feeling the new and old swift look similar, so Suzuki could have saved a lot of money by investing on the new panels which are looking awfull IMHO the engine bay side panels is top on the list, they could have just extented wheel base on the old swift made the car more wider and addressed legroom issues etc.

Note : No offenses meant towards anyone who is either planning to buy a swift or has already brought one.
Looks are subjective and so I respect your views on the same. However I find the new swift even better in looks. It is not just about new panels, the entire car is new while maintaining the old swift profile. I am sure they wouldn't have been able to achieve the improved handling and ride, not to mention the fantastic quality of interiors, by just extending the wheel base of the old swift. Besides what is clearly coming from all the reviews by many team BHPians and other Car mags, is that the new swift is significantly better than the old one. In fact you are among the very few who has not liked it.
nurni76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 22:24   #1192
BHPian

Quote:

1) Its more fun to drive, the turbo kick is fun. Its real fun to see other vehicles go far behind in your rear view mirrors when the turbo kicks in
2) You will not get de-motivated to take your car out of your garage, if you need to go for a 50km point A to point B and return back home in the city for some work, you'll feel its okay to spend 120 for a diesel but when it comes to spending 250 plus on petrol you'll think. this is just a small distance, imagine the long drives which are more than 300kms to travel.
3) dont worry about the extra 1 lakh you'll spend for the car in the start, just remember you have to live with this car for a minimum 50000 km.You cross 50000km in 1 year or you cross this 6 to 8 years, it is upto you. for every km your car is used you save 2.5 rupees when compared to the petrol counterpart, even if the govt increases prices of diesel by another 10 rupees and petrol remains unchanged dont worry. end of the minimum life span of 50000km you will be in profits, plus you will enjoy driving the diesel so much more which is priceless end of the day.

Note : I used to love petrol cars, i still like them, but after driving the DDiS and TDCI i've forgotten everything about petrol engines now, no wonder diesel is more expensive than petrol in most of the countries around the world.
Cheers.

Thanks for mentioning these points. I really hope that your 3rd point is actually correct, mathematically. And if it is, then you have made all my fears disappear regarding the premium I'd have to pay on the diesel over the petrol variant.
Old 25th August 2011, 22:26   #1193
Senior - BHPian

The Sept issue of the TG Mag is out. They have covered the new Swift. It is not a review or test, but rather a first drive report.

They have rushed the report for getting the issue on stands at the earliest. And it clearly shows. Not much information and some glaring mistakes, like the VDi/ VXi have the integrated music system and alloys. Thoroughly disappointed! Not worth buying the mag for report on the new Swift.
Old 25th August 2011, 22:53   #1194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Other vehicles? You mean other hatches, right? Because other vehicles also include Verna, Optra Magnum and Cruze which will grow bigger and bigger in your rearview mirror until they just blast past.
Old 26th August 2011, 09:07   #1195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Why there is no Team-BHP review of Swift? Is Maruti scared of getting the Swift ripped apart by the T-BHP and hence hiding?
Same question lot of forum members have been asking. Though I very much doubt that the review would tear apart the ANSS, because going by almost all the reviews otherwise out in the public domain, the ANSS is undoubtedly better in pretty much all respects over its predecessor, and hence looks to be a massive, massive success in the making.

But yes, I too am eagerly awating the review. In fact, there is a team member who has already got delivery of the first VDi and has posted his ownership report.
Old 26th August 2011, 09:22   #1196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
When petrol car owners plan for a diesel car, they always calculate the usage based on the existing usage and when it is around 1000Km/month then its a tough decision to take between petrol and diesel.
So, If you love doing long drives, then IMO go ahead with a diesel car because it always gives you the cushion to decide on long drives, petrol cars will never. Also, you will love the pull of DDiS.

Thats true, going for diesel will definitely increase the monthly usage and you will enjoy driving the DDiS.
Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement. For the average hatch buyer, budget is always a sensitive issue, and therefore, more often than not, a large part of the buying decision centers around the cost benefit analysis of the initial capital outlay (i.e. between P and D variants). Being in the same boat, I have been doing innumerable hours of number crunching. To be frank, I was not even considering thhe diesel variant until recently, till I realised that an overwhelming majority of forum members are talking about the diesel in all their reviews/conjectures/opinions about the ANSS- the petrol does not seem to be on anyones list. This got me thinking seriously about the diesel, and hence the beginning of the dilemma.

Another point that has been bothering me- though I realise that new gen diesels are nowhere close to having the NVH levels of earlier ooil burners, for a first time diesel buyer, is it not disconcerting to hear the diesel clatter in the engine? For instance, I drive a M800 presently, which in itself is far from a very refined engine (going by todays automobile technology). However, whenever I see a Swift D or any other diesel on the road, the diesel clatter (from outside), is quite unmistakeable (albeit one has to consciously identify it in a lot of cases). FOr petrol to diesel converts, was it not a bit of a problem adjusting to the nature of the engine, which inherently is not as smooth, silent and free revving as a petrol?
Old 26th August 2011, 09:57   #1197
Senior - BHPian

The K12M VVT Rocks!

I drove both DDiS and the VVT for about 6KMs each. I was mighty impressed by the VVT. If the earlier K12M (without VVT) was the pick of the 1.2L engines, this one is even better. And whoever takes a TD of the VVT, feel the power above 4K, and trust me the real fun starts there. The top end is absolutely amazing! And the engine sounds real sweet. And I believe, the ZXi package at that price is great VFM.

I do around 1500KM on an average and I am really caught between the DDiS & the VVT. If your monthly running doesn't warrant a Diesel, I am sure the VVT will not disappoint at all.
Old 26th August 2011, 10:25   #1198
Senior - BHPian

Re: The K12M VVT Rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I do around 1500KM on an average and I am really caught between the DDiS & the VVT. If your monthly running doesn't warrant a Diesel, I am sure the VVT will not disappoint at all.
Ah finally- someone in the same problem as myself So which one you going for mate?

There is no doubt in my mind either that the K12 is a fabulous mill. But like you said, the fun starts north of 4K RPM. Practically, how much driving do we actually do in that segment of the power band?

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 26th August 2011 at 10:27.
Old 26th August 2011, 10:46   #1199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah finally- someone in the same problem as myself So which one you going for mate?

There is no doubt in my mind either that the K12 is a fabulous mill. But like you said, the fun starts north of 4K RPM. Practically, how much driving do we actually do in that segment of the power band?
Let me make it clear. I love petrol cars. And it is just not about power alone. Its about how you feel while driving it. A smooth high revving engine which snarls when you shift down to 3rd for a corner! Oh! I am at loss of words to explain. I am sure many here won't get it. And I understand. Thats human nature. We all are wired differently.

And this is coming from someone who was driving around in the BS3 DDiS with a Pete' box till recently. But the problem with petrol is that, I will lose out big on monthly fuel expenses. And I will have to think twice before taking it to Chennai, Kochi or Goa. Too bad Gasoline is priced so high in BLR. Just cannot afford it as I will have only one car.

And to answer your question, I think, I will go with the DDiS. And I know my heart is not liking it a single bit, it will be a compromise. I will miss that VVT.
Old 26th August 2011, 10:55   #1200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Let me make it clear. I love petrol cars. And it is just not about power alone. Its about how you feel while driving it. A smooth high revving engine which snarls when you shift down to 3rd for a corner! Oh! I am at loss of words to explain. I am sure many here won't get it. And I understand. Thats human nature. We all are wired differently.

And I know my heart is not liking it a single bit, it will be a compromise. I will miss that VVT.
Absolutely second you when you talk about that snarl and blip of the throttle when downshifting. Drool- it is indeed an awesome feeling. And the feel of a smooth highrevving gasoline motor is to die for.

If I do go for a diesel, I would also miss that K12 gem of a mill. Damn those fuel prices. But then there is also a case for petrol engines, even with the current prices. Break even point is still close to 50,000 clicks, by which time it would be time to upgrade to next car, possibly. What an agonizing paradox to be in
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed