Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2011, 14:24   #1336
Senior - BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Hearty congratulations racer X. Yes your review now happens to be one of the most awaited amongst the Swift fans on the forum.

Is the Team BHP official review coming or not? Its been more than 15 days since launch!!
Old 2nd September 2011, 15:11   #1337
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Racer_X on your new car, I'm so looking forward to your review with lots of pictures.

By the way if I recollect it right, there is an old generation "Bumblebee" in our forum too

Have a great ownership experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
But would like to say one thing about the car its AWESOME!!
I have named my new swift "BUMBLEBEE" .
Old 3rd September 2011, 10:04   #1338
BHPian

I booked New swift ZDI in last week, 7.10 OTR at Vasai, No discount offered , waiting period oh abt 4 months :( ..damn Its going to be a long wait.
Old 3rd September 2011, 23:19   #1339
Senior - BHPian

Had a TD of new Swift Petrol today. My views :

1) Excellent NVH. Much better than our Baleno and K10 Waggie ( factory fitted CNG ). For the first time in a Maurti ( small car ) I felt like the horn was blowing outside cabin and not inside it.

2) Stiff ride at low speeds, but I was on roads where even Fortuners had to slow down. But overall excellent ride and also very confident handling.

3) Steering feel better than earlier Swift. Would love to have Etios-ish steering wheel. But dont look for Fiesta-ish feel.

4) Nice A/C.

5) Rear seat space is better than earlier Swift. Feels better than earlier Swift in claustrophobia parameter. But dont compare with airy cabin of Waggie.

6) Good overall visibility than earlier Swift

7) Very nice and smooth gearshift. Really liked it, quite sporty.

8) Handling is very confident. Turning radius seems short after you look at length.

9) ORVM are nice with wide reach. The switch for adjusting is really nice. Just twist the round knob on armrest towards left or right and then move the small knob as joystick which would adjust the ORVM. Excellent and very easy. But it looks like the small knob is very delicate and can break, but its just feeling. Not sure, only time will tell but I like the design.

10) Engine, the main thing:
I tested the petrol ( my request was for diesel, but it was not having fuel ).
Have to admit that refinement is really good. Acceleration is linear yet progressive and a small kick ( very minor ) at around 4000 rpm.

What really shocked me ( pleasantly ) was even in 4th gear at 1000 rpm the engine cleanly pulled. Yes it was not strong pull like one I get in Balneo, but was sufficient enough. I never expected this after I had earlier driven K12M earlier swift. The VVT is surely present. Such was the smooth pull that I thought for once that the motor was more than 1200cc.

Pulled the engine hard till 5000 rpm in second for acceleration and its more than sufficient. The way this Swift masks speed is impressive as it was only later on at 5000 rpm I realized that I am going too fast for bad roads filled with all types of vehicles.

The clutch was light and the car was overall quite effortless to drive at the same time inspiring confidence to handle sudden maneuvers.

11) Brakes : I had complaint here. I thought that Waggie had better brakes.

Overall, new Swift makes our just 1 year old Waggie feel one generation old already. Consideirng the evolution, at the current price, new Swift can be called VFM.

The person who was with me for test drive ( salesperson ) told me that I was driving well as others who TD the vehicle drove badly on literally broken roads and were driving without care.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 3rd September 2011 at 23:21.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 14:18   #1340
BHPian

Just saw the 'new' swift in my neighbourhood.
Must admit that its the 1st time I saw this beauty in the flesh.
Was a temp registered MH04 car.
I think it must be one of the 1st batch of newly rolled out cars.
Pretty impressed with the workmanship and finish (compared to our previously owned swift).
Attached Images

Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 14:21   #1341
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Overall, new Swift makes our just 1 year old Waggie feel one generation old already. Consideirng the evolution, at the current price, new Swift can be called VFM.
Even the older Swift will make the Waggie feel more than a generation old. I dont consider this as a positive.
Old 4th September 2011, 15:24   #1342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
Even the older Swift will make the Waggie feel more than a generation old. I dont consider this as a positive.
IMHO, the earlier Swift did not make the K10 Waggie feel old generation. The way the door shut in old swift and new Waggie was not much different, sound insulation was not that different, the overall plastic quality was not that different. The ride was not as good as the new Swift and even the gearshift was not that different. Even the steering wheel had certain amount of similarity.

The new Swift has improvement in all above areas, the moment one starts driving the difference becomes apparent. Speed rise only makes the change more noticeable. My uncle has booked Swift Diesel and he had earlier generation Waggie, he has driven our Waggie on both city and highway and he too was of similar view. But it might vary from person to person.
Old 5th September 2011, 13:27   #1343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Had a TD of new Swift Petrol today. My views :
The person who was with me for test drive ( salesperson ) told me that I was driving well as others who TD the vehicle drove badly on literally broken roads and were driving without care.
Yours was a nice (in fact wonderful) detailed feedback on the review & the last line in your post brings out the gentleman in you .

Must say that I was too complimented by the SP in similar words, when I test drove the ANFF, though I had clearly commented that I won't buy the 1.5L diesel just for the Ford ride & quality.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 14:18   #1344
Senior - BHPian

I drove the new Swift Diesel yesterday over bad roads, good roads and fast roads. Since I drive a Swift diesel right now too, I am in the right position to compare both the cars.

The driving position of the new swift is higher than the old swift. Gives it all round visibility. Loved it. Gives it a commanding feel.

Steering feels lighter than the old swift, the steering gearbox seems to be tweaked as little moments to left or right produced more moment of the car in either direction. The position of the horn is in the centre. Ridiculous. You have to move your hand from the outer steering position to honk. The old swift steering was better from which you could thumb the horn.

Engine had linear power delivery. The sheer maddning torque of the old swift diesel was absent. Its more of the progressive kinds. Also the new swift diesel is way more rev friendly than my car. I clipped 4500 rpm's without a fuss where as in my car I would not dream of shifting at those rpm's as the noise, harshness would be too much to bear. The NVH at those rpms too in the new swift were excellent. Thumbs up to the engine. Although the turbo kick would have been better but its reduced to aid fuel economy so understandable.

Rear seats are more roomier than the old one although the window area appeared to have lessened and would feel 'Jail' kinds for back seat passengers. Anyway I am not sitting in the back ever, so I dint give it much of a though.

Brakes- jammed the pedal from 130 to check the brakes on an empty stretch and all I could muster was 'there goes a cow, there goes a cycle and there goes the swift inside a rick'. Braking department left me disappointed. My swift with the upgraded brake booster has way way better brakes than this one. Even my friends who test drove it complained about the brakes.

Gearshifting is a positive change in the new car. Excellent feel and 5 out of 5 for that.

All in all I would give the New Swift Diesel 4 out of 5. Next year end I would be booking the Zdi too. Although the old Swift outshines the new one in a few departments, the new one is a mature change from the boy racer image.
humyum is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 14:28   #1345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
........Braking department left me disappointed. My swift with the upgraded brake booster has way way better brakes than this one. Even my friends who test drove it complained about the brakes.

Does this mean that the new Swift doesn't come with the new brake booster? I had assumed that Maruti would automatically implement the new booster design in the new Swift.

BTW, nice report Humyum. Needed a comparison of the two generations. Thanks!
Old 5th September 2011, 14:56   #1346
Senior - BHPian

Taken delivery of my Zdi last friday. Clocked 700kms till date. Will post a detailed review soon.
beejay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 15:00   #1347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay
Taken delivery of my Zdi last friday. Clocked 700kms till date. Will post a detailed review soon.
Hey! Congrats

Looking forward to the review and pics!

What was the final OTR price you payed?
anekho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 15:00   #1348
BHPian

Only the Zdi comes with brake boost assist system and ABS , when i test drove the new swift brakes were effective .

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I drove the new Swift Diesel yesterday over bad roads, good roads and fast roads. Since I drive a Swift diesel right now too, I am in the right position to compare both the cars.
==============
All in all I would give the New Swift Diesel 4 out of 5. Next year end I would be booking the Zdi too. Although the old Swift outshines the new one in a few departments, the new one is a mature change from the boy racer image.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th September 2011 at 16:35. Reason: Please avoid Quoting entire large posts. Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 15:05   #1349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Congrats! Waiting for your ownership thread with lots of pics.
ajay_satpute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 15:17   #1350
BHPian

From a common man point of view, My dad is super impressed with the dashboard layout and the Front seats. He feels that they are a vast improvement over the previous generation. He asked me to go ahead with my booking of the top end ZDI as it will be a self driven vehicle. Now I have to decide on the color. Leaning towards Grey or Red.

I am eagerly waiting for the test drive now. I hope to do one by this weekend. As we are looking for a second car as well, I am planning to test drive a few cars in B & B+ segment.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed