Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 16:23   #1351
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Congrats beejay for your new ride. A quick review is a must. Eagerly awaiting. I am planning to book a ZDI soon and so i am looking forward to your review.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 17:43   #1352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Hey! Congrats

Looking forward to the review and pics!

What was the final OTR price you payed?
Thank you.OTR was 7.48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Congrats beejay for your new ride. A quick review is a must. Eagerly awaiting. I am planning to book a ZDI soon and so i am looking forward to your review.
I will as soon as possible. Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 20:40   #1353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjot1912 View Post
Does this mean that the new Swift doesn't come with the new brake booster? I had assumed that Maruti would automatically implement the new booster design in the new Swift.

BTW, nice report Humyum. Needed a comparison of the two generations. Thanks!
Thanks. I don't know why but I did not find that great a bite in the brakes. This was confirmed by my friends who drove the car too along with me on the test drive. I was comparing it with my car and was left disappointed in the braking department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
Only the Zdi comes with brake boost assist system and ABS , when i test drove the new swift brakes were effective .
It comes with EBD ( Electronic Brake Distrubition) and ABS ( Anti Lock Braking System). Yes they are ok for everyday use, I meant they are not as good as the Old swift's.
Old 5th September 2011, 20:46   #1354
BHPian

Last week I got the chance to TD New Swift ZDi extensively.
Few Highlights about the New Swift ZDi;
-Drives better than the previous Swift.
-Engine Noise is well-damped but gets boomy at High-revs.
-AC & Front seat comfort is better.
-ICE is excellent with adequate Bass & Treble.
-Handling is also good.
-Brakes are better with Next-Gen ABS with Pedal feel is a bit Spongy.

Few of the shortcomings which I felt;
-Sheet metal quality is very light & is Scary for those who drive at Triple digit speeds regularly.
-Boot Space is somewhat Narrow.
-My Laptop(in its bag) which i kept on its Rear Seat before beginning my TD, fell off 2 time during my Spirited TD.
Rest What the passengers will feel there is Suspicious !!
-ZDi variant at 6.48 lacs(ex-showroom, Ludhiana) felt l'll bit on the pricier side for a Maruti Suzuki.
Old 6th September 2011, 08:10   #1355
Senior - BHPian

According to a news report in Economic times today:

1.Bookings for the Swift have crossed 90,000 and the company has directed its dealers not to take any fresh bookings.

2.The company is in a soup with the huge swift bookings and continued labour unrest in Manesar.Over the past 7 days only 500 swifts could be produced against the normal output of 8,400!

3.With the stand-off between the workers and the management not abating,Maruti is trying hard to start production using staff bought from outside but only 200 cars were made on monday

4.Company officials have said that the deliveries for the current bookings could stretch too next april!!

5.Maruti said that they will ramp up productions to 18,000 as soon as possible but even at that level it will take months to clear the backlog.

So people those who have booked it,prepare for a huge wait.
avishar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 10:47   #1356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

The driving position of the new swift is higher than the old swift. Gives it all round visibility. Loved it. Gives it a commanding feel.
That is probably because you might have TDed the ZDi which has seat height adjustment which the older Swift D did not have. I drive a ZXi and found the driving position in the new Swift exactly identical with the same seat height settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Steering feels lighter than the old swift, the steering gearbox seems to be tweaked as little moments to left or right produced more moment of the car in either direction. The position of the horn is in the centre. Ridiculous. You have to move your hand from the outer steering position to honk. The old swift steering was better from which you could thumb the horn.
Agreed. This is something that I didn't like too. Old Swift's steering wheel was better and so was the horn location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
According to a news report in Economic times today:

1.Bookings for the Swift have crossed 90,000 and the company has directed its dealers not to take any fresh bookings.

2.The company is in a soup with the huge swift bookings and continued labour unrest in Manesar.Over the past 7 days only 500 swifts could be produced against the normal output of 8,400!
The situation is going out of hand for Maruti. Competitors will be rubbing their hands in glee. Liva D set to launch this week will stand to gain the most until MUL sorts out these issues.

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th September 2011 at 14:57. Reason: Please see post #628 in this thread. Thanks.
Old 6th September 2011, 10:54   #1357
Senior - BHPian

I am waiting for the official review for so long now! Hope it pops in quickly.

Regarding the new swift I am impressed with the exterior changes but could not digest the fact that VDi doesn't comes with ABS (even as option).

I have plans of upgrading to new Swift later in 2012 by exchanging my WagonR which will be over five years old by then.

Zdi on other hand is little expensive at 7.00 Lacs on road Delhi.

Let's see what manufacturers have in stock for me in 2012.
Old 6th September 2011, 11:43   #1358
BHPian

Some more bad news for Swift buyers. Read in ET today that MSIL stops further booking of Swift (select variants) due to persisting trouble at Manesar. Tough luck
Maruti Suzuki's Swift bookings run into trouble due to workers strike at Manesar - The Economic Times
Old 6th September 2011, 12:29   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
Some more bad news for Swift buyers. Read in ET today that MSIL stops further booking of Swift (select variants) due to persisting trouble at Manesar. Tough luck
Maruti Suzuki's Swift bookings run into trouble due to workers strike at Manesar - The Economic Times
If you ask me this is a very good move.

This madness has to stop, you cant have manufacturers taking bookings with 10-11 months waiting period.

If you ask me following what Toyota had done for Fortuner is best, once the booking crosses 3 months close the book and reopen it again when you are ready to take up more.
xingamazon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 14:58   #1360
Team-BHP Support

I'm re-posting a post that was made earlier in this thread :

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hi guys,

The Swift is an exceedingly important car, perhaps the most important launch of the year thus far. We haven't gotten our hands on the new Swift as yet, but can tell you that we'll be driving it in the coming weeks - and once that happens, you can bet on the most detailed and unbiased review there is on the web (and otherwise). Until then, please be patient.
Like GTO said. It will happen, but please be patient - and lets please keep the discussion in this thread about the CAR and not the upcoming review.

Thanks,
R
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 15:07   #1361
Senior - BHPian

New Swift bookings run into trouble due to Maruti's workers strike at Manesar - The Economic Times

6 SEP, 2011, 03.17AM IST, CHANCHAL PAL CHAUHAN,ET BUREAU
New Swift bookings run into trouble due to Maruti's workers strike at Manesar
Old 6th September 2011, 15:31   #1362
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
This madness has to stop, you cant have manufacturers taking bookings with 10-11 months waiting period.
But what, if the customer is ready to wait for that 10-11 months? Swift is a "neighbor's envy, owner's pride" car. Whoever is envious, will curse Maruti. And whoever is proud to have one, will wait and wait wait, but of-course, not without hesitation.
Old 6th September 2011, 15:45   #1363
Senior - BHPian

Maruti loses 2 customers. Two of my friends who had booked VDi and ZDi recently, cancelled their bookings and booked Vista diesel and Fabia diesel just today morning. But this shouldn't be of too much worry. 2 out 90,000 is like zero.
Old 6th September 2011, 16:02   #1364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
But what, if the customer is ready to wait for that 10-11 months? Swift is a "neighbor's envy, owner's pride" car. Whoever is envious, will curse Maruti. And whoever is proud to have one, will wait and wait wait, but of-course, not without hesitation.
Dude, you are really taking fanboyism to a different level.

Though, the waiting period for the new swift is genuine this time with all the issues in their factory the waiting period quoted by dealers earlier for the old Swift was simply marketing nonsense. I know of VDi ABS delivered in couple of weeks that too the on-demand white color.

Its not the wannabe proud who waited, it was the uninformed buyers who waited for that long!
anachronix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 00:29   #1365
BHPian

Quoting what Siddarath of NDTV Car and Bike Show posted today
"Maruti says it's got 80,000 bookings for the new Swift. Manesar producing just abt 200/day against target of 600-650! So long waiting. SVP"
Closed Thread

Most Viewed