Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2011, 01:36   #1366
BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Guys I have posted the review of my new ZDI.

Link : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-team-bhp.html

Looking forward to your comments.

Thank You!
Racer_X is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 15:48   #1367
BHPian

Swift LXi

Here, most people are discussing the higher versions, i.e zxi and zdi. A friend of mine is looking for a petrol hatch for 5 lacs on-road. The Swift Lxi, for 4.8lacs on-road fitted the bill, till we saw this version having no equipment apart from power steering. Not even a tacho is fitted! I had assumed that all hatches that cost more than 4 lacs come with power windows/central locking standard.

Does the LXi even sell? Makes no sense at all.

The friend is now opting for the base Trendline Polo 1.2 petrol, which has the above basic equipment.
Old 9th September 2011, 15:57   #1368
BHPian

Re: Swift LXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman360 View Post
Here, most people are discussing the higher versions, i.e zxi and zdi. A friend of mine is looking for a petrol hatch for 5 lacs on-road. The Swift Lxi, for 4.8lacs on-road fitted the bill, till we saw this version having no equipment apart from power steering. Not even a tacho is fitted! I had assumed that all hatches that cost more than 4 lacs come with power windows/central locking standard.

Does the LXi even sell? Makes no sense at all.

The friend is now opting for the base Trendline Polo 1.2 petrol, which has the above basic equipment.
Choosing the 1.2 Polo Trendline over the Swift is nothing but brand fascination. The new Swift (even the LXi) beats the 1.2 Polo hands down if you can live with the sparse equipment list. Having said that, the 1.2 Polo TL also misses many features - tacho might be the only exception.

The LXi makes sense for someone who wants to modify the car. You end up saving $ on stuff that you wouldn't want to pay for and then eventually replace.
Old 9th September 2011, 16:00   #1369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
Some more bad news for Swift buyers. Read in ET today that MSIL stops further booking of Swift (select variants) due to persisting trouble at Manesar. Tough luck
Maruti Suzuki's Swift bookings run into trouble due to workers strike at Manesar - The Economic Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
New Swift bookings run into trouble due to Maruti's workers strike at Manesar - The Economic Times

6 SEP, 2011, 03.17AM IST, CHANCHAL PAL CHAUHAN,ET BUREAU
New Swift bookings run into trouble due to Maruti's workers strike at Manesar
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Quoting what Siddarath of NDTV Car and Bike Show posted today
"Maruti says it's got 80,000 bookings for the new Swift. Manesar producing just abt 200/day against target of 600-650! So long waiting. SVP"

A big part of Swift's production has now been shifted to Gurgaon. Hopefully they might meet with the huge waiting period now.

Official announcements from Maruti Suzuki -

Quote:
We are doing the press and welding processes of the Swift to the second line at Manesar, which started a fortnight back. This is because this line is highly automated and does not require much manpower. Since the last three days, the assembly has been shifted to Gurgaon.
Quote:
“The company has taken this decision to deliver Swift cars as soon as possible to customers who have booked them and are waiting for the delivery. As the company is working with less manpower at the Manesar plant these days, the decision to make the Swift both at Manesar and Gurgaon will help the company to raise overall volume.”
Sources - Some good news: Maruti Suzuki shifts Swift production to Gurgaon plant! | IndianCarsBikes.in

Maruti Suzuki Moves Swift Production To Gurgaon | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews
Old 9th September 2011, 22:22   #1370
Team-BHP Support

Was not sure if the rear was better than the old one, but i tried PS to get the debadged effect, and must say I'm loving it! Nice, clean and planted.

MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-marutiswiftnew19081101_043520.jpg

(Original pic from New Maruti Swift Pictures Photos | New Maruti Swift Pictures Pictures - Yahoo!)
Old 9th September 2011, 23:53   #1371
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Yesterday myself and two of my other two friends took test drive of new swift, both ZDI and ZXI.
All the three of us felt it is big let down in terms of handling, drive-ability and interior space.
My 4 years old VXI looks to be for better. Here are few observations, please do note it is what we felt.

1. Steering is almost floating and no feedback from the road. Steering wheel is too small.
2. Not sure where the horses in the engines are gone. Possibly to pull couple of more KMs per liter. Literally flooring the pedal doesn't get the response expected. My 1.3L VXI has lot more to offer when one floors the pedal.
3. The ZXI engine is more refined than previous 1.3 and K1.2 series engine. It is much more smoother and NVH level are better in both ZXI and ZDI.
4. Suspension has improved, but at the cost of handling.
5. Not sure where that 90mm extra length has gone.
6. Although back door glass pannel looks to be bigger, but glass shape is odd.
7. ICE sounded good

Last edited by manjubp : 9th September 2011 at 23:54.
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2011, 12:59   #1372
Team-BHP Support

What are the service intervals for the new Swift diesel? For the free (3 free services?) and paid services respectively?

Whats the run-in period and max rpm/ speed that the company recommends during this period?

Can anyone who has taken delivery of the new swift comment on the above two questions, please.
Old 12th September 2011, 12:06   #1373
Distinguished - BHPian

Update on Swift production.

Maruti Suzuki rolls out 250 cars on Saturday at the troubled Manesar plant

"While the stalemate between the top management of country’s largest passenger car maker Maruti Suzuki India and its workers at the Manesar plant has turned another week old, the company on Saturday rolled out 250 cars from the facility. An additional 110 units of the Swift were rolled out from the company’s facility at Gurgaon.

It was reported that Suzuki Motor Corporation Chairman Osama Suzuki who was in the country had also reportedly supported the management and had said that the firm would not compromise on discipline. He was quoted as saying “Indiscipline is not tolerated, not in Japan, not in India. It is never in the interest of any company and its people.’’ It was mentioned that production at the Manesar plant has been affected severely since August 29, after the management suspended and dismissed 21 employees on charges of sabotaging production and deliberately causing quality problems in the vehicles manufactured at the plant. MSIL had also asked all the workers to sign a bond of good conduct. The company has also reiterated that workers would not be allowed to resume work until they sign the bond.
The reports quoted MSIL Chairman R C Bhargava as saying “We are very clear that the people (workers) will have to sign the good conduct bond. Only then would they be allowed into the company. The company would not take a hasty decision because of a daily loss of production at the Manesar plant. While most of the workers are innocent and hardworking, there are some who are highly indisciplined.” According to reports, on an average, the firm produces about 1,200 units of the Swift, A-Star and SX4 models every day from the Manesar plant. It is estimated that till Friday, the labour unrest had resulted in a loss of about 10,260 units, valued at over Rs 510 crore, for MSIL. MSIL had hired a batch of 95 skilled technicians on Saturday, taking the total strength of the workforce at the Manesar plant to around 1,050.During the first two days of the stand-off, the company had dismissed five permanent workers. It had also suspended 26 permanent workers and discontinued the services of another 18 trainees on charges of sabotage and causing quality problems in cars, mentioned in the reports."

Maruti Suzuki rolls out 250 cars on Saturday at the troubled Manesar plant | WheelsUnplugged
Old 13th September 2011, 19:10   #1374
BHPian

Small update from my side:

Went for a TD few days back. The waiting period charts have crossed the one year timeline. People were still booking the car and I hope MSIL closes the bookings before the situation gets out of hand.

On to the drive then, Test drove the Ritz and swift back to back. To put it across in a few words I was highly disappointed with the New swift. Why?

Positives:

Feather light steering for city and parking.

Ride quality is top notch with small bumps dispatched easily.

Very Light clutch a pleasure to use!

Slick gearbox is definitely better than the older unit.

Interior quality better than other Maruti cars, Namely Old swift.

All black interiors look very classy. Though they give a feel of lesser space than there actually is. Good overall visibility. Rear view is very limited while reversing.

Power delivery very very linear and feels very relaxed while cruising.

Better FE, NVH is evident from the drive I had.

No rattles (Too early to say still) were noticed during my drive.

Negatives:

DDiS has lost its charm, No push back in the seat type of acceleration anymore. Turbo-lag is clearly there, once over 2k rpm the car pulls cleanly.

Car does not exhibit the quality feeling of cars in this segment (Polo, Jazz)

Compared to the Ritz the steering feels extremely light! I was searching for feedback. It is pretty direct and all but nowhere close to the earlier swift!

Car drives in a lighter way. I attacked a corner hard and the car just swift up. I did not like the over lightness in the drive.

Some cheap bits visible; Power window switches and mirror adjustment.

Engine bay had too much of space left empty (Bigger engine in other countries.)

Boot space a concern if you don't pack lightly.

Styling resembles the old car too much. IMO the polo's clean lines overshadow this minor facelift on the outside.

Overall a good buy if viewed from one perspective but the fun to drive was dampened to a level unacceptable to me. Will check out the Jazz and take a call. Also for the asking price 7.5L OTR it misses out on a LOT of equipment. Few things that could have been there:

Start stop button
Rear Disc brakes
Integrated Bluetooth
Parking sensors
Optional: Airbags,Sunroof.

Team please feel free to leave your comments below. Hope this short summary of mine has helped you'll.
Furebo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 20:32   #1375
BHPian

Waiting period has crossed 1 year timeline ???????
I booked my ZDI about 2 weeks back and waiting period was 4 months time time. Today i called up the dealer to check if the waiting period has been extended, but i was told that the labour strike is over and my car will be delivered in maximum 4 months time.This is so confusing. I think i will wait for another 2 weeks and if there is no definite news on the strike and the waiting period, i will cancel my booking as i cant wait for anything beyond 4 months .
Old 13th September 2011, 20:39   #1376
Senior - BHPian

Update: Maruti Suzuki's output of its new Swift reached 500 units on Monday, matching the normal daily production at its Manesar plant.

Maruti Suzuki Swift daily output reaches 500 units, matches near normal levels - The Economic Times
Old 13th September 2011, 20:45   #1377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishekjp View Post
I booked my ZDI about 2 weeks back and waiting period was 4 months time time. Today i called up the dealer to check if the waiting period has been extended, but i was told that the labour strike is over and my car will be delivered in maximum 4 months time.This is so confusing. I think i will wait for another 2 weeks and if there is no definite news on the strike and the waiting period, i will cancel my booking as i cant wait for anything beyond 4 months .
It depends on where you are located, the place where I visited updated me with the timelines for Vdi and Vxi.
Old 13th September 2011, 20:56   #1378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishekjp
Depends on how much dealer had asked for; how much the company allocated and how many bookings the dealer actually got.
Yeah 1 yr is crazy though, don't think MSIL would allow that unless the dealer isn't informing them.
Old 13th September 2011, 21:10   #1379
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
Small update from my side:

Went for a TD few days back. The waiting period charts have crossed the one year timeline. People were still booking the car and I hope MSIL closes the bookings before the situation gets out of hand.

On to the drive then, Test drove the Ritz and swift back to back. To put it across in a few words I was highly disappointed with the New swift. Why?

Positives:

Feather light steering for city and parking.

Ride quality is top notch with small bumps dispatched easily.

Very Light clutch a pleasure to use!

Slick gearbox is definitely better than the older unit.

Interior quality better than other Maruti cars, Namely Old swift.

All black interiors look very classy. Though they give a feel of lesser space than there actually is. Good overall visibility. Rear view is very limited while reversing.

Power delivery very very linear and feels very relaxed while cruising.

Better FE, NVH is evident from the drive I had.

No rattles (Too early to say still) were noticed during my drive.

Negatives:

DDiS has lost its charm, No push back in the seat type of acceleration anymore. Turbo-lag is clearly there, once over 2k rpm the car pulls cleanly.

Car does not exhibit the quality feeling of cars in this segment (Polo, Jazz)

Compared to the Ritz the steering feels extremely light! I was searching for feedback. It is pretty direct and all but nowhere close to the earlier swift!

Car drives in a lighter way. I attacked a corner hard and the car just swift up. I did not like the over lightness in the drive.

Some cheap bits visible; Power window switches and mirror adjustment.

Engine bay had too much of space left empty (Bigger engine in other countries.)

Boot space a concern if you don't pack lightly.

Styling resembles the old car too much. IMO the polo's clean lines overshadow this minor facelift on the outside.

Overall a good buy if viewed from one perspective but the fun to drive was dampened to a level unacceptable to me. Will check out the Jazz and take a call. Also for the asking price 7.5L OTR it misses out on a LOT of equipment. Few things that could have been there:

Start stop button
Rear Disc brakes
Integrated Bluetooth
Parking sensors
Optional: Airbags,Sunroof.

Team please feel free to leave your comments below. Hope this short summary of mine has helped you'll.
Thanks for the details here.
I'm surprised its 7.5L I thought it would be maybe 25k more than the previous model. Glad I went with the older swift then.
Old 13th September 2011, 23:55   #1380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneet_b View Post
I'm surprised its 7.5L I thought it would be maybe 25k more than the previous model. Glad I went with the older swift then.
The above quote is for the Zdi at the place where I inquired. Prices vary from place to place. The older swift was a really great product but it sadly lacked the Zdi. Maruti has increased the Ex-showroom prices by 25-30k only. But also launched a Zdi variant which is for 7.5L OTR.

One more addition to my above points: The brakes on the new swift are way better than the older one.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks