Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2011, 14:11   #1
BHPian

Tata Nano Diesel DICOR Spied!!

Tata Motors has been testing the Nano Diesel for quite some time. The car was earlier spotted last April undergoing tests on the expressway. We spotted the diesel Nano being driven on the outskirts of Pune on the old Mumbai-Pune highway. The car was being driven at 60kmph and was accompanied by a left hand drive Indica Vista and Aria. The Nano diesel is powered by a Bosch developed common rail motor. The 700cc single cylinder engine is expected to produce close to 35 bhp of power and 110Nm of torque. With a claimed mileage figure of 30kmpl from various sources, the Nano diesel will be the most frugal car in the world. The Nano diesel will be launched by the end of this year, with prices starting at Rs. 2 lakhs.

Tata Nano Diesel DICOR Spied!!-2011_tata_nano_diesel.jpg

Tata Nano Diesel DICOR Spied!!-tata_nano_dicor.jpg

Tata Nano Diesel DICOR Spied!!-tata_nano_diesel_spied.jpg

Courtesy : Motorbeam
Racer_X is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 14:42   #2
BANNED

Re: Tata Nano Diesel DICOR Spied!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
Tata Motors has been testing the Nano Diesel for quite some time. The car was earlier spotted last April undergoing tests on the expressway. We spotted the diesel Nano being driven on the outskirts of Pune on the old Mumbai-Pune highway. The car was being driven at 60kmph and was accompanied by a left hand drive Indica Vista and Aria. The Nano diesel is powered by a Bosch developed common rail motor. The 700cc single cylinder engine is expected to produce close to 35 bhp of power and 110Nm of torque. With a claimed mileage figure of 30kmpl from various sources, the Nano diesel will be the most frugal car in the world. The Nano diesel will be launched by the end of this year, with prices starting at Rs. 2 lakhs.
Thats a welcome News

Now... A single cylinder Diesel and a Dicor................

Hope its launched ASAP.... I am willing to put my money on it for sure....

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by bblost : 7th July 2011 at 15:15. Reason: Please check the post. Thanks.
Old 7th July 2011, 14:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wow, thats great spotting!
Finally some respite from all the petrol hikes. I hope the pricing for the diesel is at par with the sanity in pricing the petrol one.

any idea of the target markets for the LHD Vista - is it for Europe?
Old 7th July 2011, 14:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

How can we say this is a diesel Nano? That the diesel version is being developed is doing rounds in this forum for previous several months. A recent news item elsewhere stated Nano will not be launched till the end of 2012.

Not that I am not interested, I would sure love to get my hands on one given the fuel efficiency it promises and I almost always travel single.

Last edited by simplyself : 7th July 2011 at 14:49.
Old 7th July 2011, 14:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

2.5 lakhs for a diesel Nano onroad is surely very good vfm. Hope this is launched soon. It will become the cheapest and most efficient city slicker in India.
But I also remember reading somewhere that the diesel Nano will be produced for the xport markets first. I hope that is not true.
Old 7th July 2011, 14:53   #6
BHPian

Nice Scoop Racer_X. nano diesel is a long due.
How could you make out it as a diesel one. I mean, did you find any visible indications of a diesel motor?

Was there any visible reduction in G.C or sagging from the rear?
Housing and packing a 700 CC DICOR diesel motor should not be of major problem in the rear engine bay which is already housing the almost equivalent sized 624 cc gasoline one.

IMHO, there should be some major modification in the BIW too, at the rear, to give sturdiness to carry the extra weight of the diesel motor and also further help in reducing the NVH. May be an additional cross member or two.

Off late, there was information of nano being shipped to Europe and other asean countries. Would that be a diesel one or a gasoline powered nano is still a wait and watch thing.
Old 7th July 2011, 15:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

@Maverick79: I was about to ask you the same question. Afterall, its always better to hear the news form the horse's mouth, innit? .

@Racerx: Nice scoop. Are you sure this is a Diesel Nano though? Any news to confirm that?
Old 7th July 2011, 15:03   #8
BHPian

Nice scoop, Racer X. But 700 cc single cylinder?? That'll make some racket! Must be two cylinders.
Old 7th July 2011, 15:07   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Why does a single cylinder need a common rail?

I get a feeling that tata will have difficulty in suppressing the NVH of the car. Lets hope that it does not become akin a diesel bullet, gives 80kms to a liter of diesel, but one needs to be in a trance to reach destination in one piece.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 15:11   #10
BANNED

Single pod means too much vibration, less RPM and "Deadly" small commercial vehicle sound bhad bhad bhad bhad.
Old 7th July 2011, 15:11   #11
BHPian

Today is scoop day or what?
Decent torque. Anything below 250,000/- for the base model should do and if priced correctly, this is gonna flood the cab market.
Old 7th July 2011, 15:19   #12
BANNED

Actually i feel TATA's are going to use the 2 cylinder Diesel unit from the ACE, add that Dicor unit to reduce NVH levels. This set-up will make sense.

So there is a big doubt in the Diesel Nano being a Single cylinder engine.
Old 7th July 2011, 15:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

As per the latest information all diesel test vehicles in Bosch are taken back to Nano plant to sort some issues (not engine related).
Old 7th July 2011, 15:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

I have seen Bosch also testing the same in and around Adugodi.
Old 7th July 2011, 15:53   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
@Maverick79: I was about to ask you the same question. Afterall, its always better to hear the news form the horse's mouth, innit? .

@Racerx: Nice scoop. Are you sure this is a Diesel Nano though? Any news to confirm that?
Well, a single cylinder would need lots and lots of dynamic balancing and additional mountings to arrest the NVH to the desired/ existing levels. Forget about a more smoother one. Hence it would be very tough to fit in given space of the current engine bay.
A two cylinder might meet the NVH requirements to some extent. However it should not be a inline engine like the petrol one.
( The Ace is also having a two cylinder inline engine. You know the NVH levels of it. Its a sure no no for nano as NVH is the prime concern for the existing gasoline powertrain itself.)
Some 'V' geometry would help. But that again asks for more space in the engine bay which would eat up the already limited space behind the back seat.
Bosch is developing/ developed a two cylinder Dicor engine I guess.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed