Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2011, 14:59   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 5 New Cars from Skoda in next 2 years

Got some dope on the "small car positioned lower than Fabia" today: apparently the VW 120 program development has commenced recently after getting the green signal from Wolfsburg. An engine plant will be added soon near Pune.

This is the same platform on which the Seat Arosa and Skoda Youngster are based. VW will launch this under the brand name "Up", while the Skoda "Youngster" will also be launched in India. Expect it to hit the market end-2012 or early'13.

Not sure if this qualifies as a "scoop" so added to this thread- mods please shift if needed to a new thread.
noopster is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 18:18   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

The Indian subsidiary of Skoda Auto is gearing up for a sea of change by giving up an India-specific tag line in favor of an international slogan.

The currently standing “Obsessed with quality since 1895” will be dropped for “Simply Clever” by December 2011.

Skoda had unveiled a new logo at the Geneva Motor Show in March and simultaneously showed a design study that will lead the design direction of future Skoda models.

“Simply Clever” is expected to appear on marketing campaigns all over the world.

The launch of the new Rapid sedan will mark Skoda’s re-entry into the segment it once dominated with the Octavia, the first product upon the brand’s entry in India back in 2001.

The newspaper report says Skoda stuck to the current slogan for ten years as India gives importance to heritage. Market evolution has led to quality taking precedence over heritage or history.

With about 70% localization, the Skoda Rapid will be priced between 7-10 lakh rupees and compete with the Hyundai Verna, Honda City and cousin Volkswagen Vento.

SOURCE - IAB, Live Mint (Skoda to reposition brand, change baseline in India - Home - livemint.com)
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 18:43   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Indian subsidiary of Skoda Auto is gearing up for a sea of change by giving up an India-specific tag line in favor of an international slogan.

The currently standing “Obsessed with quality since 1895” will be dropped for “Simply Clever” by December 2011.

Skoda had unveiled a new logo at the Geneva Motor Show in March and simultaneously showed a design study that will lead the design direction of future Skoda models.

“Simply Clever” is expected to appear on marketing campaigns all over the world.
Skoda India webiste is already aligned to the 'Simply Clever' slogan: http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/IND/Pages/homepage.aspx
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 19:23   #49
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
An engine plant will be added soon near Pune.
So will the future models have engines assembled here?
Does that means skoda can cut the additional 20% in cost which was added for ckd post budget?
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:36   #50
Team-BHP Support

If BS Motoring reports are to be believed, 2 out of the 5 will come this month - the Laura RS, and the 4x2 Yeti with 1.6 TDI.

HOT! All the launches in August 2011
Old 2nd August 2011, 10:26   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
If BS Motoring reports are to be believed, 2 out of the 5 will come this month - the Laura RS, and the 4x2 Yeti with 1.6 TDI.
The 1.6 TDI 4x2 Yeti is what is need of the hour. If the pricing can come down considerably, then it would be one amazing product.

EDIT
@vb-san

Where is the Yeti news? Can you please point? I could not find it in the link.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd August 2011 at 10:33.
Old 2nd August 2011, 11:48   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The 1.6 TDI 4x2 Yeti is what is need of the hour. If the pricing can come down considerably, then it would be one amazing product.

EDIT
@vb-san

Where is the Yeti news? Can you please point? I could not find it in the link.
Agree with you. It will be a fantastic product for that price range.

They have mentioned this on the 1st page of the article “There are variants too that will make their way into showrooms, including a cheaper variant of a crossover currently on sale (psst, we can't tell you right now)”

And then we had this piece of information from fellow-bhpian Behemoth in the Skoda Yeti – Official review thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth
I had recently been to the yeti performance drive and spoke in detail to the Skoda people present. In the next month, they are planning to launch another base variant of the Yeti with 1.6L diesel engine and 4x2 and some of other features deleted (like rear ac vents) and simpler cloth seats, without some other features (hill hold etc.). This version may come in the range of 11.99 ex showroom.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:41   #53
Senior - BHPian

This is great news, I was so looking forward to this. Any idea about the rating of the 1.6 TDI engine?

I hope they price this sensibly which will further increase the appeal. Thank you Vb-san for the info.
Old 2nd August 2011, 19:04   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

The 4X2 1.6 TDI Yeti will be cheaper and quite possibly good value too but the best thing about the Yeti- the AWD system will be gone, i cannot think of reasons why i would recommend it to someone over Laura unless it is substantially cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Any idea about the rating of the 1.6 TDI engine?
105PS, 104BHP, 250nm@1500-2500RPM. This engine also powers the VW Vento TDI.

Last edited by .anshuman : 2nd August 2011 at 19:13. Reason: Corrected the figure. Thanks noopster
Old 2nd August 2011, 19:42   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The 4X2 1.6 TDI Yeti will be cheaper and quite possibly good value too but the best thing about the Yeti- the AWD system will be gone, i cannot think of reasons why i would recommend it to someone over Laura unless it is substantially cheaper.
They have to price it below Laura due to engine downgrade. That makes it VFM.

(But yes at that price one can buy Cruze as well).

I agree AWD is gone. But for me it makes a natural upgrade to Fusion.

Only fly in the Ointment is, if Skoda is worth it esp, if one has a plan to keep it for 7-8 years and also go quite some amount of normal highway driving
(without fear of getting stranded with a vehicle failure)

You are the best person to answer this!
Old 2nd August 2011, 19:47   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Only fly in the Ointment is, if Skoda is worth it esp, if one has a plan to keep it for 7-8 years and also go quite some amount of normal highway driving
(without fear of getting stranded with a vehicle failure)

You are the best person to answer this!
How can you be so sure about getting stranded on the highway? The Common Rail engines are all new and used all across the VW Group(VW, Skoda, Audi...) Check out Skoda's reliability ratings in UK.
Old 12th August 2011, 18:50   #57
Team-BHP Support

Still no update on this. Called up the dealers here in Bangalore.
They also had no idea regarding the same.
Old 12th August 2011, 20:32   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

I have some snippets on the Skoda Lauretta. Apparently the press cars are being readied- communication colour is cappucino beige. Apparently the car looks very masculine and slightly better than the Vento. Expect a launch by Diwali!
noopster is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 22:31   #59
Senior - BHPian

Is this the one that was earlier called as skoda rapid?

I would presume it will come with the same 1.6 TDI version, Going by the current feature list of vento, we can safely assume this car will miss some of them to be placed one notch below it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster
I have some snippets on the Skoda Lauretta. Apparently the press cars are being readied- communication colour is cappucino beige. Apparently the car looks very masculine and slightly better than the Vento. Expect a launch by Diwali!
Old 13th August 2011, 00:02   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Yup- same car, with same engines as Vento. The 1.6 TDI engine is running severely short so don't be surprised if VW plonks in a new 1.5 litre diesel train in this, like GTO had predicted some time ago!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks