Team-BHP - 5 New Cars from Skoda in next 2 years
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   5 New Cars from Skoda in next 2 years (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/104184-5-new-cars-skoda-next-2-years.html)

I saw a piece of news in BS Motoring website about Skoda launching 5 new cars in the next two years.

Here is the relevant link: Five new models from Skoda

What caught my attention is this statement: “a refurbished Laura would hit the roads sometime next month”.
Any idea what are these updates?

Moderators: Not sure if this topic warrant a separate thread, or already a thread is running on this topic. Please help to segregate / merge accordingly. Thanks!

I really doubt Skoda has something significant to add in Laura facelift. The International Laura comes with the same styling. I would love to see some more variants and DSG 'box for TSi.

170hp engine and some more gadgetry similar to Passat for Superb would be great.

The cars from this article-
-Laura refurbished next month.
-A cheaper Yeti.
-Skoda Rapid, based on Vento or a Vento with a Skoda badge.
-A small car positioned lower than Fabia

Quote:

Originally Posted by .anshuman (Post 2422033)
I really doubt Skoda has something significant to add in Laura facelift. The International Laura comes with the same styling. I would love to see some more variants and DSG 'box for TSi.

170hp engine and some more gadgetry similar to Passat for Superb would be great.

-A cheaper Yeti.

I seriously doubt if they would go for the 170bhp engine with all the gadgetry cause the current L&K itself costs around 22l in hyd :Frustrati

- Yeti base model currently has a discount of 1.8l thanks to Skoda celebration (10 years in India), but still even at around 16.xx on road in hyd i dont find it value for money. May be a 110bhp 4*2 for around 13-14 would be perfect for the car.

Quote:

Will it be a possibility that they’ll limit the 1.8 TSi for the RS version, and get the 122 bhp 1.4 TSi petrol for the regular Laura?

Agree with you – Superb/Passat like gadgets in the Laura will be great (they have those features in international models), but I doubt if they will put the 170bhp CR in the Laura

Quote:

-A cheaper Yeti.

They have also mentioned about an SUV smaller than the Yeti. This can be Fabia Scout with a 4x4 option.

Quote:

-A cheaper Yeti.

Maybe a petrol Yeti with 1.2 or 1.4 TSi? And I feel the current Yeti need a 6-speed DSG. But that can create a serious pricing issue for Skoda.

Just got some inside information that Skoda is planning to Launch Rapid with a very aggressive price which will be below Verna & Vento. The person also told me that the name Rapid can also be changed to some other name. A new version of Yeti with 4*2 is also expected soon.

What Skoda really needs is a revamp for their Yeti strategy:

1. Introduce 6-speed DSG gearbox + TPMS + SATNAV for the current Elegance variant at the same price point.
2. Introduce reasonably priced (read Rs 8-10 lakh) 4X2 variants of diesels.
3. Reduce the price for Ambiente to about Rs 12 lakh

Quote:

I would love to see some more variants and DSG 'box for TSi.

Exactly. I for one almost opted out of buying the Laura TSi for lack of features. An elegance or even an L&K version with the DSG box would increase its appeal tremendously. If you look at the market for petrol cars at this price point, the only competition it has is from Honda and Toyota. Skoda has a great edge over its rivals with the TSI engine under its belt. They need to be more serious about this market and should do better than just offering it in the lowest trim. Whats worse , recently they've stripped off some features which were standard earlier.

Would the refurbished Laura actually be the Laura VRS? I doubt. As Anshuman rightly pointed out, there is nothing significant to add in the existing Laura. Barring the 170BHP of course.

Out of the other cars, one obviously being the Rapid, the hatch smaller than Fabia seems to be the Roomster. Or something based on the same platform.

Quote:

-A cheaper Yeti.

What happened to Skoda Fabia Scout? There were lot of talk going on for its launch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by puneetghai1978 (Post 2422082)
Just got some inside information that Skoda is planning to Launch Rapid with a very aggressive price which will be below Verna & Vento. The person also told me that the name Rapid can also be changed to some other name.

Maybe they’ll call it Felicia – they use to this brand name as the predecessor of the Fabia. And it is aligned to the feminine names like Laura, Octavia and Fabia :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar (Post 2422208)
the hatch smaller than Fabia seems to be the Roomster. Or something based on the same platform.

Roomster got a panel van kind of styling. And it is not smaller than Fabia. If I am correct, it was actually the styling template for the Yeti. Sometime back Overdrive (or Autocar?) reported that the planned small car below Fabia will be called the Youngster.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajay0612 (Post 2422234)
What happened to Skoda Fabia Scout? There were lot of talk going on for its launch.

That could be the small crossover positioned below the Yeti.

If Skoda launches the Rapid at a price point near the SX4/Manza/Fiesta classic trio, then it will sell like hot cakes!!
But of course, something will have to be done about the A.S.S..
Skoda, are you listening? We Indians love your cars, PLEASE get the dealers to sort out their service issues, and your annual sales might even triple!!

Also read that next gen Laura will be called "Octavia". Since this model is discontinued and the replacement will be called "Rapid" [as per the speculations or "Felicia"] Laura will be renamed as Octavia. I received this info thru some tweets by ACI or Odmag. Will need to dig it up though.

Edit:: Adding Hormazd Sorabjee's tweet which came on Jul 04:
Quote:

Scoop! Octavia name to come back with next-gen Laura when launched in 2013.

Autocar has tweeted the below page which discusses the future models from Skoda.

Skoda Future line up : Skoda

5 New Cars from Skoda in next 2 years-skoda.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by moose56 (Post 2422063)
I seriously doubt if they would go for the 170bhp engine with all the gadgetry cause the current L&K itself costs around 22l in hyd :Frustrati

I was talking about Superb.

What is the next-gen Octavia? Is that a new model for India or just an upgraded version of the Laura?