Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2011, 13:46   #1
BHPian

Now Tata has a sedan returning 25kmpl (ARAI Tested) !!!

Tata seems to be taking a bit too seriously on Maruti's claim of being the most fuel efficient brand and have gone no holds barred to prove that they are in fact, real champions when it comes to VFM.

First, the Indica eV2 with 25kmpl. Then e-Xeta with 17.1kmpl (Petrol) and now they are taking bragging rights (Thanks G+ ) to a whole new level with India's first sedan with 25kmpl mileage. And we are not even talking about Nano here!

Tata have retuned, or so it seems, their CR4 engine doing service in Indigo e-CS range and have managed to convert initial ARAI tested figures of 23kmpl to now improved 25kmpl which makes the already most fuel efficient sedan in country also most fuel efficient car (alongside sibling eV2) in the country.

IMHO, while such a claim can seldom be refuted and different road and driving conditions can mean no two people can have similar mileage figures but still since ARAI tests all vehicles on similar conditions, such a feat is still commendable by Tata.

What I am also impressed about is, the fact that Tata are increasingly converting their image of slumber company by actively bringing in new innovations in their products and gone are the days when they just sat on their hunches for years before updating their vehicles.

(Tata is due to make an announcement on this feat soon and are currently readying their PR strategy.)

Last edited by akhilesh51 : 9th July 2011 at 13:48.
akhilesh51 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2011, 14:25   #2
BHPian

Re: Now Tata has a sedan returning 25kmpl (ARAI Tested) !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
IMHO, while such a claim can seldom be refuted and different road and driving conditions can mean no two people can have similar mileage figures but still since ARAI tests all vehicles on similar conditions, such a feat is still commendable by Tata.

(Tata is due to make an announcement on this feat soon and are currently readying their PR strategy.)
Yes, different driving conditions mean different mileage figures.
But, they are also on the higher side of 25kmpl, acheived in the Mileage rallys conducted by Tata's across Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities along with the metros. The figures are more than 30kmpl many times.
Have 5 MB Adobe file regarding such recent event in Hyderabad. Can send through mail if required. It was with the Indica eV2 CR4.
Old 9th July 2011, 14:40   #3
BHPian

It is really encouraging to see manufacturers taking ARAI FE seriously and improving the vehicles.

In my experience ARAI figures are not unrealistic and a light-footed driver can often better them - at least on non-cogested city roads and definitely on highways.

For example I get nearly 19 kmpl on my Jazz, and 21+ kmpl in my Yeti on highways.
Old 9th July 2011, 15:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, this obtained mileage figures claim by different companies is reaching ridiculous proportions. Every fortnight there is one manufacturer or the other who is coming out with some tall claims. Frankly as a consumer I don't care and infact the more tall a claim made by a manufacturer the lesser is the trust I have for it. I am reminded of that old adage which goes like this : empty vessels make more noise.

After all we have to sit back and ask what particular technology does that particular vehicle have, which resulted in that tall claim?
Old 9th July 2011, 15:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Yes, different driving conditions mean different mileage figures.
But, they are also on the higher side of 25kmpl, acheived in the Mileage rallys conducted by Tata's across Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities along with the metros. The figures are more than 30kmpl many times.
Have 5 MB Adobe file regarding such recent event in Hyderabad. Can send through mail if required. It was with the Indica eV2 CR4.

Maybe my comment came across to you in wrong light. I did not intend to imply that ARAI figures or Tata Vehicles do not achieve tested FE in normal conditions.

In fact, My own vehicles (whether Tata or not) are giving me better FE than tested by ARAI. For example, my 3 year old Safari 2.2 VTT still provides an FE of 12 - 13 kmpl (with AC) consistently even as it crossed 1Lac Km mark last month.

My honest implication was the fact that whether a particular vehicle provides similar FE figures to ARAI or not, it will still compare to other vehicles also driven in similar conditions. For example, X vehicle has 14kmpl ARAI tested figure and is returning 11.5kmpl in real conditions in, lets say Delhi (High Traffic zones). Similarily a Y vehicle with 12Kmpl ARAI tested figure is bound to return real-time figures of lower than 11.5 thereby proving that X vehicle continues to be better VFM despite its not matching its ARAI test figures.

Frankly, in my posts, I too have given examples of vehicles participating in mileage rallies returning unbelievable figures of 30-34Kmpl and these are real-time figures for cars driven by regular people.

Quote:
IMHO, this obtained mileage figures claim by different companies is reaching ridiculous proportions. Every fortnight there is one manufacturer or the other who is coming out with some tall claims. Frankly as a consumer I don't care and infact the more tall a claim made by a manufacturer the lesser is the trust I have for it. I am reminded of that old adage which goes like this : empty vessels make more noise.

After all we have to sit back and ask what particular technology does that particular vehicle have, which resulted in that tall claim?
These 'tall' claims are supported by test figures of ARAI which is a government organisation and is supported by SIAM, India's premier Auto-manufacturer association chaired by big shots of Auto Industry. Also, it is compulsory for every new/old vehicle to be tested by ARAI for FE and a certificate of same is available with all dealers.

Last edited by akhilesh51 : 9th July 2011 at 15:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks