Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2011, 13:42   #1201
BHPian

Re: Honda slashes price on Jazz as well ? EDIT: Launch pics of new Jazz Pg.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddam View Post
@Existing Jazz Owners: In your experience, is it worth spending 10K on extended warranty and road side assistantance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I have owned two cars till date:

1- Ford Ikon - I did not buy the EW and suffered as the ignition coils failed & steering rack leaked. At an authorised service outlet, both would have costed close to 30k total. I cannot recall how much the EW package costed but it was definitely not more than 10k.

2- Swift diesel: I bought 2 year EW for approx 9k. I got approx 15-20k stuff replaced in EW. This includes the complete speedometer, clutch bearings, the headlight control lever (can't remember what its called).

In both cases the EW package would have been / was worth the money.

While I am not an existing Jazz owner ( as yet - my dealer assures me this status will be corrected by sept end), the benefits of extended warrantly was discussed a few pages back. Quoting the relevant sections. IMO its worth it and I am going for it.
Old 30th August 2011, 13:42   #1202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivriti View Post
The lower prices are largely the result of indigenisation of expensive imported parts. There are huge savings on customs duty and shipping.

Even a 15%-25% increase in sales can reduce some overheads enough to cut prices further. So it sort of snowballs till a pricing sweet spot is arrived at.
nice.. but we this means we can surely feel the difference in materials used :(

what can one do... the indian market is typical for this type of behaviour... as long as the price is low, anything will sell....
Old 30th August 2011, 13:47   #1203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
That's good to hear. I've seen a blue Jazz wearing unbelievably large 17" wheels and really wide 205 section tyres. The ride would be harsh, due to the small aspect ratio and the huge wheels, but i'm sure it would grip like nothing else, considering that the Jazz has a pretty good chassis.

A small up-size like 185 or 195 would improve things, certainly, for those who feel that the Jazz's handling isn't as good as some of the other cars like the Polo and the Punto and the new Swift. But I'm sure it would be much better once you up-size the tyres.

I always felt that the Jazz is under-tyred.

I don't think anything has been done to the internals. The engine-gearbox-chassis-suspension and most of the body and interior are absolutely identical to the old Jazz. The changes are purely cosmetic. It's not even a case of 'old-wine-in-new-bottle'. The bottle has a new sticker, is what it has.

It would have been nice if Honda had tweaked the gearbox and tune it a bit more for city-driving. A the City's 1.5 lump wouldn't have been a bad idea either.

As Fuel Addict pointed out, this is purely a marketing gimmic, since the gearbox isn't one of the Jazz's strong-points.

I am not really sure about this idea that "there really is no change between the old and new jazz", "old-wine-in-new-bottle" etc. From my discussions with some Honda old-hands and dealer side people on why such huge price cut, it has emerged that localization DID have a sizeable role in the price cut along with profit cut by honda. (also as the volumes go up, their supplier price goes down as well)

For example, it was implied to me that the newer Jazz dont come with Bosch Airbags, unlike the previous Jazz, which results in a straight away price cut of close to 30k or thereabouts. He said the story goes on similar lines with ABS/EBD as well. Now these are NOT components that we can see, touch and perceive, so as lay consumers we cant assert one way or the other. He said the entire dash is now supplied by Bajaj. He also suggested that people with older Jazz should avoid temptations to change into newers components or mess with the dash as it involves two different vendors now.

I cannot verify the authenticity of this information but just mentioning what I heard. I believe over time, experts, in this forum and elsewhere, will inform us on the differences between the two cars. Who knows, may be few years from now, there may be a mad dash for those 15000 original lot of Jazz cars! Or so, I would hope!

Last edited by biyer : 30th August 2011 at 13:54.
Old 30th August 2011, 14:04   #1204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biyer View Post
I cannot verify the authenticity of this information but just mentioning what I heard. I believe over time, experts, in this forum and elsewhere, will inform us on the differences between the two cars. Who knows, may be few years from now, there may be a mad dash for those 15000 original lot of Jazz cars! Or so, I would hope!
I would rather go the other way around.

I would not touch the older Jazz again as I am sure spare parts will be an issue going forward at least on the price front if not on the availability.
For the new one, I am sure there would be no issues on getting the spares you need.

Cheers
Old 30th August 2011, 14:22   #1205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddam View Post
Thanks haithereitsme, sraye and SunilM! Couldn't sleep all night! I will do a detailed PDI tonite. Will post the pictures asap.

@Existing Jazz Owners: In your experience, is it worth spending 10K on extended warranty and road side assistantance?
@Experienced car buyers: Any suggestions for free accessories that I can push for?

Its a philosophical choice and luck(or the lack of it) down the road will prove its worth. These days I do buy extended warranties and comprehensive services in all products that I buy. Sometimes it works and other times it doesnt. But its the law of averages. I recently changed my Nokia N8 under warranty two months before it was set to expire. I imm bought the extented warranty for the same. Same thing with a Dell XPS8300 PC. I bought 3 yr comprehensive replacement warranty along priority service for the PC and within first month, I could convince Dell on replacing my ATI Radean Card with an NVIDEA card, even though there was no hardware failure. It was easily worth the warranty cost. So these things have an unpredictable russian roulette effect. If you are generally bumping your head around shallow ceilings these days, go ahead and buy an extended warranty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post

I would not touch the older Jazz again as I am sure spare parts will be an issue going forward at least on the price front if not on the availability.
For the new one, I am sure there would be no issues on getting the spares you need.

Cheers

That depends on what parts we are talking here. I am sure the newer parts are designed for backward- compatability. But surely neither of us can predict the future here.

Last edited by GTO : 1st September 2011 at 16:42. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 30th August 2011, 15:17   #1206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post

btw. how did they reduce the price so much? will there be any compromise in materials used or quality?
I havent seen the older Jazz, so don't know about that. However there were no obvious signs of poor quality.

I liked the interiors and build quality (decently heavy doors ). Like everyone says, lots of space. The magic seats fold down to flat, but there is a flap which leads to a bit of two different levels at the joint. Maybe with a mattress kid can sleep .

It also had the smaller things like boot light which I believe the early Jazzes didn't. Bit disappointed it didn't come with Bluetooth, was told can add it for 5.5K. Asked about ground clearance and salesman told me it is not much of a problem in Jazz, the problem is worse in City (as others have noted).

Not happy with choice of colors though. The earlier sapphire blue and maroon-ish red were really nice. Maybe the UT or Silver will look good.

All in all, very tempted but current amount of driving we do doesn't justify replacing my second car with a Jazz. Maybe after sometime when the Corsa gets older and really need a new solid, reliable car, will swap the Alto for Jazz.
Old 30th August 2011, 16:04   #1207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I beg to disagree. The extended warranty essentially covers the drive train. What fraction of cars have suffered failures of engines or gear boxes in the first 150,000km. Almost none.

For all but the very high mileage drivers assuming that the EW is unlimited mileage I always view the Extended Warranty as a Vendor Enrichment Scheme.
I just went through the extended warranty booklet briefly for my Honda Jazz. Although I see lots of limitations and disclaimers, I saw none that implied that ONLY drive train is covered under the warranty. Just saying.
Old 30th August 2011, 18:33   #1208
Senior - BHPian

Honda going to hike prices of the Jazz by 5,000-10,000 and the City by 70,000 by next month,according to a business channel.
Old 30th August 2011, 19:09   #1209
BHPian

5k to 10k is tolerable. However, a price hike of almost a lakh rupees sounds like a prospective buyer repellent!
Old 30th August 2011, 20:01   #1210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
5k to 10k is tolerable. However, a price hike of almost a lakh rupees sounds like a prospective buyer repellent!
Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Honda going to hike prices of the Jazz by 5,000-10,000 and the City by 70,000 by next month,according to a business channel.
Lets hope the hike for the City is for the facelifted one. Maybe they have added a few useful features and not just the leather seats / chrome overdose that they generally do.

5-10K hike on the Jazz should be expected - they are now onto a good thing and want to milk it further. How many cars have they actually delivered until now at the introductory pricing - just a handful I am sure, so with the hike in prices, all new deliveries will be at the revised prices.

If the hike in prices for the new Jazz is to compensate monetarily the 13K odd old Jazz owners who feel they were taken for a ride then it is a very welcome move I must say. This is just wishful thinking on my part, but if Honda actually does this, imagine the brand loyalty they will garner which otherwise has been badly bruised.
uday.ere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 20:17   #1211
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am not really sure about this idea that "there really is no change between the old and new jazz", "old-wine-in-new-bottle" etc...

...temptations to change into newers components or mess with the dash as it involves two different vendors now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post

Cheers
Honda has indeed localized the Jazz, a fair bit, this time round. But I don't think that it would affect the availability of spare-parts. In fact, I believe that as long as the Jazz is in production in our country, the spare-parts will always be available.

You see, even if there were issues, say, with the dashboard of a particular Jazz, and it would require a minor change, the maximum damage that the owner of the older Jazz would incur is probably the replacement of the entire unit, or a major part of it, with the new Jazz's unit, in case the 'original' part is not available.

I won't be able to comment on the change in the ABS and Airbag units. I'm not sure if it would make much of a difference. If Airbags in an old Jazz need replacement, I don't think it would require modifications, as such, to be able to accommodate the new-spec Jazz's Airbag.

Quote:
Well, I do hope it reaches that stage.

It would be very hard, even for the experts, to discuss and conclude on the internal differences between the old and the new Jazz. Unless one's a Honda insider, in which case, he would be, in all probability, a fake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
5-10K hike on the Jazz should be expected - they are now onto a good thing and want to milk it further. How many cars have they actually delivered until now at the introductory pricing - just a handful I am sure, so with the hike in prices, all new deliveries will be at the revised prices.

Well, the 5.5 lakh ex-showroom price of the new Jazz was merely an introductory price. It was only to get the customers to swarm the showrooms. 5-10k isn't a big hike. So I'm assuming that Honda will stick to this price, or probably hike it by another 5-10k, during it's production span of __ years, until the new-gen Jazz begins to create a flutter.

IMO, it's a good move by Honda. They've done the advertising, and the other aspects of marketing it well enough, they've dropped the prices considerably and shown the car-buying-customer that they mean business. Now it's up to the product itself to shine.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th August 2011 at 20:21.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 20:39   #1212
BHPian

Reply from Honda on a query in their Facebook page:

Hi ,
Honda Car India commented on their Wall post.
Honda Car India wrote: "Hi (Aaren), the demand for the New Jazz is very high resulting in long waiting. The waiting period might tentatively extend up to 2-3 months. We are putting in all our efforts to reduce the tenure of the waiting period and to deliver the cars at the earliest to our customers."

So having booked a Jazz, keeping my finders crossed !!
Old 30th August 2011, 22:21   #1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by biyer

Its a philosophical choice and luck(or the lack of it) down the road will prove its worth. These days I do buy extended warranties and comprehensive services in all products that I buy. Sometimes it works and other times it doesnt. But its the law of averages. I recently changed my Nokia N8 under warranty two months before it was set to expire. I imm bought the extented warranty for the same. Same thing with a Dell XPS8300 PC. I bought 3 yr comprehensive replacement warranty along priority service for the PC and within first month, I could convince Dell on replacing my ATI Radean Card with an NVIDEA card, even though there was no hardware failure. It was easily worth the warranty cost. So these things have an unpredictable russian roulette effect. If you are generally bumping your head around shallow ceilings these days, go ahead and buy an extended warranty!
The dealer said that I have 2 months to decide if i want to go for extended warranty and RSA. I am not very sure if this is worth spending. Will wait for more feedback from other Honda owners.
Old 31st August 2011, 01:28   #1214
BHPian

During the past few days, I have been closely checking the Jazz threads on this forum. I went to the Honda showroom in Panjim on Monday and checked out the Jazz in flesh and blood. My wife, a friend and I simply fell in love with the vehicle and we had a detailed interaction with the pleasant sales executives over there. The space that Honda has created in the Jazz is phenomenal considering the fact that it almost has the same L-B-H specs as the new Swift. By "jazzing" up the space quotient, Honda seems to have meticulously planned the Jazz to appeal to those who love space, space and more space within the four wheels. The double glove box and multi-folding, split seats were an awesome display of maximum utilization of space.

I then politely informed the sales advisor that I had just bought the I10 in December 2010 and there was no way -- no matter how much my wife and I loved the Jazz -- that we would sell off our 8-month-old I10 and upgrade to the Jazz, as we would take a huge price hit on our I10. I told him that we would have surely considered the Jazz had the price-cut been effected at that time.

I also told him that we would seriously consider a second-hand Jazz for about Rs 5 lakh in about 1-2 years from now, when we decide to upgrade our Alto 800 LXI. The sales advisor then mentioned to us that a customer had purchased a Jazz in 2010 (don't remember which variant) for about Rs 8L, inclusive of various accessories fitted on the car. He decided to sell off the Jazz last month for Rs 5 lakh simply because his son wanted a different car!

We were stunned that a 1-year-old Jazz was available for a mouth-watering Rs 5 lakh, so much so that we briefly considered mobilising some funds to grab this offer, with the hope that the sale was still on. But we decided that we simply could not afford to have 3 cars -- the Alto was necessary for my wife to brush her driving skills, while the I10 was too new to be sold off. We then stuck to our decision not to let go of our I10 so soon and we did not pursue the matter with the SA any further (in any case, it was nearing 8 pm and we did not want to prolong the conversation further).

But it was a very pleasant visit at the Honda showroom and my wife was mighty impressed with the Jazz as well as with the pleasant sales staff. "The Jazz is surely our next car," she said, "unless a more spacious hatch car is available in the next 1-2 years."

Last edited by misquitas : 31st August 2011 at 01:33.
misquitas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 09:34   #1215
BHPian

Guys, i am unable to make up my mind.
I took a TD and will be booking the Jazz today.
From what information i have, Honda will be starting delivery for the new jazz from september 15 onwards here in Pune. But there is now news on the base variant
The dilemma is - Though my folks dont mind the extra 30k, i am not really convinced for shelling it out to buy 4 alloy wheels (the stephanie remains the normal wheel in all variants) and the reclining seats. The way i see it is this 30k could very well be my fuel cost for the next 1 - 1.5 years.
The sales guy told me that the base variant production is yet to start and hence delivery will be only after diwali - can anyone throw some light?
Also, apart from aesthetics, do alloy wheels add any value?

Help!!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks