Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2011, 19:16   #811
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda slashes price on Jazz as well ? EDIT:Leaked Brochure Pics of new Jazz on Pg

I have been so excited & never thought Honda will make this happen. Looks like they swapped the Figo pricing team with theirs. And I take it as a sign of good things to come from Honda ! So where does this leave a price scope for Brio ? 4.99L ex showroom? (I am grinning wide !) Absolutely delicious pricing to say the least. Will take some pie from Swift petrol & i20 as well. Sales chart at 3000 to start with ? Now just brng your diesels and shake the market guys !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
easier? Dude, it's No-brainer now. I think this is the new king in B+ segment.
Call it B+ segment "petrol" king till the diesel comes out. Swift without doubt will rule the books till then with the advantage of diesel motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthcoder View Post
Have they also fixed the stiff suspension?
The suspension was slightly stiff earlier, I hope they have rectified it too.
I guess its better not to soften the suspension in view of handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnivara View Post
No disparity among the variants in the safety features.
I wish all of them to follow this. At least on the premium-in-their-segment cars.
+1. As many of the members appreciated it a million times, once again ! In contrast, Swift just took away the option of "optional" ABS from the V variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
What are the chances of us getting beaten up if we approach the sellers with the new Jazz price list and ask them to reduce their prices?
There is not much even the existing owners can do about this. The negotiation has to be based on the current prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
My friend just cancelled his Swift booking and going for Jazz.
Certain decisions come in no time right?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 18th August 2011 at 19:19.
Old 18th August 2011, 19:25   #812
BHPian

Re: Honda slashes price on Jazz as well ? EDIT:Leaked Brochure Pics of new Jazz on Pg

the new look is laughable. the purity of the original aesthetic has been lost with nothing gained in return. it looks gratiutously overstyled now.

I also really dislike the amber back lighting in the IP. it would seem to be a trivial point, but surprisingly the major visual/aesthetic impression the jazz made on me was the chilly blue on black display lighting.

I am also feeling suspicious about the quality aspect. One of the things that really impressed me about the Jazz was its very high level of quality construction, materials and fit and finish that left the City feeling chintzy both in terms of its feel inside and its robustness while moving over a road.

If this price cut and localization has come at the cost of the Jazz's spectacular quality, its going to be struck off the top of my list.

I think I need to check out the new swift.
Old 18th August 2011, 19:26   #813
BHPian

Wow !!!! What pricing by Honda ... my biggest grouse with Honda earlier was the ridiculuous premium they charged for the Honda badge.

Now, they've come into absolute VFM territory. Jazz at between 5.5 and 6 lacs is absolutely brilliant !!! Its an absolute no-brainer as a great, spacious, VFM city petrol super-hatch. i20 petrol and Swift petrol have their tasks cut out now !

ANHC at 7.5 lacs and Jazz at 5.5 ex-showroom - I still cant believe what I see !!!!

Last edited by RoadTiger : 18th August 2011 at 19:28.
Old 18th August 2011, 19:27   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Without checking out the new Jazz, you're going to check out the Swift just on a hunch that the quality may have gone down?
Old 18th August 2011, 19:39   #815
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If this price cut and localization has come at the cost of the Jazz's spectacular quality, its going to be struck off the top of my list.

I think I need to check out the new swift
SWIFT is made in Gurgaon , Localisation must be over 90 % by now - Honda should be way ahead than Maruti here .
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 19:44   #816
BHPian

sure enough but I am not looking for the quality alone. the swift is one of the most fun to drive cars in the country with a remarkably well resolved chassis set up.

The original Jazz was spectacular for its refinement, polish, quality, sophistication, but it wasn't exactly a match for the swift when it came to fun-to-drive stitching a series of turns together. If the swift has improved what it does well, the jazz is going to need all the more to hold on to what it did well. if it drops off its dizzy heights for the sake of price, it may succeed in the market, but it won't with me
Old 18th August 2011, 19:55   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
But I am curious. I agree that Honda was making insane profits on whatever little Jazz they sold. But still there has to be some cost cutting somewhere for this new price. Where exactly? Waiting for some updations on the official review thread of Jazz.
It is all about localization. Honda already mentioned that they have increased localization in the Jazz significantly - now if they manage to localize only a few expensive components, that in itself reduces the price by a huge amount - imports are taxed heavily in our country, plus it is already expensive to manufacture it in Japan. Now its a different story on how will the local part compare with the quality Japanese components of the outgoing model. Hopefully Honda had taken care of the quality. They might have cut corners at a few places to reduce price - nobody expects Honda to advertise that part, guess we will know soon from markets or TBHP review!

Don't agree on the insane profits on old Jazz earlier. Remember profits are hugely dependent on volumes. They just did not sell enough Jazz to justify even the production, forget insane profits. At older prices and volumes, Jazz was in a serious risk of being taken off the Indian market. That would have been a shame, hats off to honda for working hard to reduce the prices and giving us a gem of a product at a price that gives it a fighting chance. For existing owners, it is more important that the model survives - what would the resale value of an discontinued model be? Plus, if you love the car, why look at the current price - it is not a stock that you can sell after all. Jazz will now eat up Swift Petrol (see just no reason to go for it now), i20, Polo and all. I just can't wait to see more of these beauties on our roads .
Old 18th August 2011, 19:58   #818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
These are right prices for this car.
I will stop giving strange looks to the new Jazz owners.
Hahaha ...

In fact you can now give more strange look to Old Jazz owners

This indeed is great pricing from Honda. For the first time in India they have launched the car with correct pricing. All there earlier cars were little costlier than they should be. I am sure this pricing is going to give troubles mainly for i20, Micra, New Swift, Polo, Fabia & Figo as well. I am sure it will eat some market share of some sedans as well as it had decent boot space as well. In coming months we will see how it goes. I am sure it will do 3K + sales for at least next few months. Lets see.

They included all safety features in base model as well. Thats a great move. Good for us. Just imagine if they can make one more model without Airbags, ABS etc & price it around 4.75 .... Can anyone imagine what will happen???
Old 18th August 2011, 20:24   #819
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
I was about to send you a PM asking the same. My friend just cancelled his Swift booking and going for Jazz. He drives frequently to North Kerala (BLR-MYS-HUNSUR-GONIKOPPA-VIRAJPET-KANNUR). Highlighted stretch road condition is very bad and my tiny spark struggles and but in Swift it is some what OK.

Jazz has longer wheel base and low GC comparing to Swift, Is it going to be a bad decision ditching swift and going for Jazz? Have you driven your Jazz on bad roads (means really bad). How is the suspension set up, is it soft?
i have done the precise route that you mention in oct2009 in my 2009 jazz. i did chennai-blr-mys-hunsur-kutta-gonikompa-madikeri-virajpet-surendranagar-mys-blr-chennai. the roads were non-existent then (i don't know the condition now). it was alright if you took a bit of care. where it would get tricky was when a bus/jeep coming from the opposite direction would force you off the road (as the height of the road compared to the muddy sides was steep).
go for the jazz, you won't find a better hatch in the market.
handsofsteel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 20:38   #820
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was about to send you a PM asking the same. My friend just cancelled his Swift booking and going for Jazz. He drives frequently to North Kerala (BLR-MYS-HUNSUR-GONIKOPPA-VIRAJPET-KANNUR). Highlighted stretch road condition is very bad and my tiny spark struggles and but in Swift it is some what OK.

Jazz has longer wheel base and low GC comparing to Swift, Is it going to be a bad decision ditching swift and going for Jazz? Have you driven your Jazz on bad roads (means really bad). How is the suspension set up, is it soft?
The ride, is one of Jazz's weak points, actually. The thing is, it rides very smoothly on smooth roads. No jerks, no hiccups. It's almost as good as a D-Segment car. But on pot-holed roads, it isn't that good. It's a bit harsh over rough surfaces and you feel the thud when one of its wheels goes inside a pot-hole. The suspension is a bit stiff, and a bit soft, if you know what I mean. Because of the softness, the car hunkers down when it's full with passengers and luggage. At he same time, it feels a bit stiff over rough terrain.

The GC isn't great either. it's on par with our Civic. It does tend to scrape large speed-breakers, especially when it's loaded with passengers and luggage.

However, the ride isn't as bad as it sounds. It's manageable. And I'm sure it can handle rough roads. Maybe not as well as the Swift. But it's good nonetheless. The bad pot-holes is what you feel in the cabin, but the smaller uneven bits it manages to absorb. Not as well as some other cars can, but it does the job.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 20:44   #821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Punto and Linea worst hit for sure(due to Jazz and City) and then Polo. Hyundai having farther reach and lower cost of ownership impression may take a lesser hit
I am not sure on this one. At least for Punto.
Punto petrol is a rare species on the roads. 90% of Punto's sold are Diesel ones.

I think heat will be on i20 petrol (diesel version is too expensive to be selling a lot in the first place), Swift Petrol and on Polo to some extent.
Old 18th August 2011, 20:55   #822
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
the new look is laughable. the purity of the original aesthetic has been lost with nothing gained in return. it looks gratiutously overstyled now.
sort of agree with you

Quote:
I also really dislike the amber back lighting in the IP. it would seem to be a trivial point, but surprisingly the major visual/aesthetic impression the jazz made on me was the chilly blue on black display lighting.
strange, never realised it was chilly blue always thought of it as white, anyways, have to emphatically agree with you here, the orange/amber is grotesque.

Quote:
I am also feeling suspicious about the quality aspect. One of the things that really impressed me about the Jazz was its very high level of quality construction, materials and fit and finish that left the City feeling chintzy both in terms of its feel inside and its robustness while moving over a road.

well now for the piece-de-resistance, just checked out the new jazz today on my way back from the office. i am a jazz owner who has just disposed off his sep 2009 model a month back (as am leaving indian shores shortly for about 2 years). here are my first impressions about the new facelift:-
the old model had the better grille.
with the chrome garnish, the jazz joins the cruze LTZ, the Wagon R etc. in having a very flashy (not necessarily better) rear
the quality (from first impressions) was the same as before-especially minor bits like the bonnet release lever, the dual glove box etc were first rate.(better than the ANHC anyday)
the colour of the interiors is subjective to perception (i preferred the old colours)
impressed with the rear reclining seat.
disappointed that my colour (deep sapphire blue pearl) had been discontinued.
(sorry no pictures as was not carrying my cell)

Quote:
to sum it up "if you are still looking for the new swift, do so at your peril"
Old 18th August 2011, 21:03   #823
BHPian

on the chilly blue, I mean the LCD displays, not the numerals themselves which of course are white. I really dislike the orange day-glo in the facelifted model.

as to quality, that will have to take a drive to see. while you can tell a lot from sitting inside a car, you can't really judge the structural robustness, how tight the car feels over uneven surfaces, how much flex there is, whether that flex affects interior parts like the dash assembly.

I need to test drive both a jazz and a swift.
Old 18th August 2011, 21:40   #824
BHPian

I sold my City ZX and within 10 days Honda dropped the New City price by Rs 66000/- or thereabouts, now the Jazz sees a correction of Rs 1.4 Lakhs. I felt good that i missed the price cut or else my cars residual value would have suffered by about Rs 50,000/-. But all in all the current Jazz price is just fab. A truly premium offering at a VFM pricing. Looks like Polo , i20 , Swift and their ilk will have lot of thinking and price cutting to do. Polo could start by adding features and keeping the same price. What leeway would i20 and Swift have??
Old 18th August 2011, 21:54   #825
BHPian

With a mouth-watering on-road price of about Rs 6.2L for the base Jazz model -- which incidentally has an impressive list of features -- and given its excellent comfort and interior cabin/boot space, how many would still want to consider petrol sedans like Etios/Manza/Dzire? Not I, for sure. Man, I have already begun praying for some rich relative to bequeath some wealth to me...or may be, to win the jackpot at a lottery...

Else, 2-3 years down the line a Rs 4-5 second-hand Jazz could also be on my radar.

@RavenAvi:

For those who feel bad about previous Jazz owners apparently being "taken for a ride" by the sudden drop in prices, I do know that other companies too have been guilty of similar "offences".

I recall a neighbour who was very upset shortly after he bought the I0 a few years. Barely a week after he had bought his I10, he found out that Hyundai had launched the "more refined" Kappa1.

Some years earlier (around 2000-01), my uncle had bought the Maruti 800 and within a week, Maruti slashed the prices of the M800 by about Rs 20,000 (or was it Rs 30,000, I can't really recall).

In both cases, my neighbour and uncle felt angry and cheated by the respective companies.

Last edited by misquitas : 18th August 2011 at 22:10.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed