Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:47   #1081
BHPian

Re: Honda slashes price on Jazz as well ? EDIT:Leaked Brochure Pics of new Jazz on Pg

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Hirenbhai, to be honest I am in the exact same dilemma whether Jazz or Swift ZDI.

Uday
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Now I am fighting between the heart (Jazz) and mind (Swift ZDI).
Have you decided which one you are opting for?

Regards
I am exactly in the same dilemma as you guys. The price cut of the Jazz coupled is creating a headache (in a good way). I love the space and the magic seats options in the Jazz.

First it was only the Swift ZDi on my radar. Now, the Jazz comes into the picture. Haven't TDed the new Jazz. I liked the TD experience of the Swift ZDi but the boot space is the only thing I didn't like.
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:53   #1082
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda slashes price on Jazz as well ? EDIT:Leaked Brochure Pics of new Jazz on Pg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
I am exactly in the same dilemma as you guys. The price cut of the Jazz coupled is creating a headache (in a good way).
If your requirement is a diesel hatch (going the diesel was in your radar) where did the headache come from?

Cheers!
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:00   #1083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
If your requirement is a diesel hatch (going the diesel was in your radar) where did the headache come from?

Cheers!
My monthly running doesn't justify a diesel car. But rising fuel costs, better torque at lower rpms, higher mileage and ability to go the Pete's way make the diesel an interesting option. The only reasons why the Jazz is attractive is the space, Honda brand and of course the now discounted prices.

The body of the Jazz with the engine of a Swift ZDi would have been the perfect hatch .
fuel_addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:24   #1084
BANNED

Re: Honda slashes price on Jazz as well ? EDIT: Launch pics of new Jazz Pg.56

I am in the same dilemma but I think I would go for the Jazz Select
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:26   #1085
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

You can save quite a packet actually. If petrol efficiency is around 18-20km/l, on CNG it can easily return upwards of 25km/kg.

Petrol costs around Rs.65/l and CNG Rs.30/kg (NCR)

Expense on a running of 15k/year
Petrol - (15k/18)*65 = 54,200 (approx)
CNG - (15k/25)*30 = 18,000 (approx)

For the first year even if you add the cost of kit at around 30k(from outside) you still save some money. Plus higher your running, higher the saving.

Once the demand stabilizes and the wait periods reduce, I think Honda should launch a factory fitted CNG variant too. But then again, this price reduction has given wings to our wishes!
That is quite a saving, actually. But if you are looking to do 15k in one year, it would make more sense to buy a diesel car. A petrol car is for those who intend to do no more than 500-750 km a month. Anything more and a diesel car is a more sensible option.

Also, I'd like to say that petrol cars where never meant to and designed to run on pressurized gasses like LPG and CNG. It does hamper the life of an engine in the long run, and when one buys a new Honda, the engine is fresh and in almost prime form. It can be flogged for lakhs of kilometers without issues, as such.

A CNG on a petrol car, I believe, would make sense if the car has already logged up a considerable number of kilometers, like an old 800, or a Zen.

If CNG is what you want, then one must look at the Wagon-R. Is the new Wagon-R available with an optional CNG kit?

Forget about the Honda Jazz. It's engine is a gem. Messing with it, IMO, is like a boy-band covering Stairway To Heaven.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd August 2011 at 19:28.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 20:53   #1086
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
That is quite a saving, actually. But if you are looking to do 15k in one year, it would make more sense to buy a diesel car. A petrol car is for those who intend to do no more than 500-750 km a month. Anything more and a diesel car is a more sensible option.

Also, I'd like to say that petrol cars where never meant to and designed to run on pressurized gasses like LPG and CNG. It does hamper the life of an engine in the long run, and when one buys a new Honda, the engine is fresh and in almost prime form. It can be flogged for lakhs of kilometers without issues, as such.
I just took an arbitrary figure. If you run more, savings will be even higher! If you are looking at economy alone, I think CNG makes the most sense. If you are looking for driving pleasure, I agree with you.

Factory fitted kits do give you the extra peace of mind about using it for lakhs of kms.

Quote:
If CNG is what you want, then one must look at the Wagon-R. Is the new Wagon-R available with an optional CNG kit?
I was just referring to kaks15's friend, who is interested in the Jazz and owing to the high running, wants some economy too. A CNG option would make sense for him. No idea about the CNG WagonR option.

Quote:
Forget about the Honda Jazz. It's engine is a gem. Messing with it, IMO, is like a boy-band covering Stairway To Heaven.
Old 23rd August 2011, 21:16   #1087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A CNG on a petrol car, I believe, would make sense if the car has already logged up a considerable number of kilometers, like an old 800, or a Zen.

I fully agree. Two of my relatives had perfectly well running Omni and a Santro. That was, until they fitted an aftermarket LPG kit. Suddenly things took turn for the worse. These vehicles ran well for 3/4 months but after that? Starting trouble, jerkiness like engine going through hiccups, eight-stroking ( sputtering ), sluggish pick-up, gas smell ( they were using domestic gas refilled in the trunk-tank ). And when they ran out of gas and changed to petrol mode, it would start up only after some 10/15 cranking attempts, nearly on the verge of battery going flat. Needless to say they sold those vehicles and vowed never to touch a gas car ever again.

Also, I think the gas-tank (CNG) weighs a lot. Recently, I saw an '05 CRV fitted with a CNG kit. The nose lifted up pointing skywards because the rear was considerably weighed down. When I asked the guy he said he just topped up CNG. Wonder if that was because of the weight of the tank+gas or was this particular CRV afflicted with some suspension problem.

In any case, it is safe not to flirt with LPG/CNG --- in the interest of engine life and also in the interest of safety ( the idea of an incendiary tank in the trunk is scary ).
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 22:31   #1088
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I just took an arbitrary figure. If you run more, savings will be even higher! If you are looking at economy alone, I think CNG makes the most sense. If you are looking for driving pleasure, I agree with you.

Factory fitted kits do give you the extra peace of mind about using it for lakhs of kms.

I was just referring to kaks15's friend, who is interested in the Jazz and owing to the high running, wants some economy too. A CNG option would make sense for him. No idea about the CNG WagonR option.

That's true.

If it's only economy, then CNG is a good idea. But i'd still stress on the fact that petrol engines were never designed to run on pressurized gasses. Avoid CNG/LPG as much as possible. If there is absolutely no other way to save money and fuel, then CNG should be the last option.

When one opts to go the CNG route, the car in question must be used for a relatively short period of time, IMO.

Factory-fitted CNG kits, like the ones available on the older Wagon-Rs make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I fully agree.

In any case, it is safe not to flirt with LPG/CNG --- in the interest of engine life and also in the interest of safety ( the idea of an incendiary tank in the trunk is scary ).
Absolutely!

Imagine having a tank full of petrol, coupled with a tank full of pressurized gas. It's akin to sitting on a ticking time bomb.

One wrong move, even a minor accident like being rear-ended (it is a possibility), can trigger a situation one would like to avoid. You might find yourself closer to the moon than most satellites in orbit.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd August 2011 at 22:33.
Old 23rd August 2011, 22:43   #1089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Imagine having a tank full of petrol, coupled with a tank full of pressurized gas. It's akin to sitting on a ticking time bomb.

One wrong move, even a minor accident like being rear-ended (it is a possibility), can trigger a situation one would like to avoid. You might find yourself closer to the moon than most satellites in orbit.

My 2 cents.
Well, if that was the case, Delhi would have been on the moon already! ALL commercial vehicles run on CNG and we all know how they run. Add to that, a vast majority of private cars too run on CNG. So, in effect, the whole of Delhi is a ticking time bomb!

Problem with these kits is only when they are not fitted properly or people using the household LPG cylinder in the car. Otherwise they are pretty safe.

Anyways, we are going off topic here. Let the discussions on Jazz continue.
Dry Ice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 23:58   #1090
BHPian

I have a few queries regarding the Height adjustable driver's seat in the Jazz X.

How much of vertical travel can one expect?? I mean the difference between the highest and lowest points. And is the adjustment manual??

Plus, I have one more strange query. Can one retro fit a height adjustable seat on the front pssenger seat?!? Just in case someone finds the Jazz too low to get into and out of!!
I'm hypothesising that if the adjustment is manual, one could.

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 24th August 2011 at 00:00.
Old 24th August 2011, 00:35   #1091
Distinguished - BHPian

Regarding the CNG issue, if a car is giving you 15kmpl+ consistently without any fuss, I don't think a CNG kit is really necessary.

And for the Select vs X debate, I would recommend the X any day. For 31K extra you get a bunch of stuff over the Select - sporty alloys, auto-retractable ORVMs, driver seat-height adjust, fog lamps, plus the front body-colored grille + rear spoiler as the Standard Kit package.

The Select is for those who love chrome & biege combo - remember, you can get fog lamps, front grille + rear spoiler and sporty alloys fitted into the Select model for a few Ks extra. The only features you will be missing are the rectractable ORVMs and driver seat-height adjust. If you are not too crazy for those, the Select is the way to go.

Just received a quotation from Shubh Honda for the Jazz X -

Model - 1.2 Jazz X MT (they keep specifying this, makes me wonder about the AT)
Ex-showroom - 6,27,000/-
Logistic Charges - 4,500/- (Transportation? Increased by Rs.500/- from the last time)
Comprehensive Insurance - 16,560/- (They assure it's Honda)
Road Tax Registration - 47,890/- (including 4K for the broker, I bet)
Outstation Registration - 1,000/- (Extra, this can be struck off)

On-Road Price - 6,96,950/-

(Corporate Discount - 8,000/-)

They are offering the side-step illuminated garnishes and a few other accessories in exchange for the Corporate Discount.

No other offers at all.

I think it's a pretty good deal. No use haggling right now because the Jazz is red hot in the bookings arena. Shubh Honda claims a month's waiting time for delivery right now, scheduled to increase if I delay further. They also claim they have over 500 advance bookings so far! (skeptical figure I bet)

Looks like a trip to the capital next weekend is on the cards.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 24th August 2011 at 01:03.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 00:56   #1092
BHPian

^^ RavenAvi, the rear seat recliner is there on the Select variant btw.
Old 24th August 2011, 01:02   #1093
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
^^ RavenAvi, the rear seat recliner is there on the Select variant btw.
Oh yes!
Sorry, I stand corrected.
Old 24th August 2011, 06:52   #1094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Having said that, even the recline angle is marginal (it is a 1 step adjustment unlike the front seats which have multiple notches of adjustment). The reclined seat is something that you would be able to appreciate only if you do frequent long distance runs, else it is something you can live without also. :-)

Guess the reclined seat angle would be more comfortable for the elders in the family too.

But I feel the earlier Titanium interior shade was more classy compared to the beige they have now.
Well, in my case the rear seat is only occupied by my son and his car seat can anyway be reclined by 2 steps. On rare occasions, there is someone else in the rear seat, but honestly speaking I would not care to get it retrofitted for them unless it is a quick fix.

I dont need the USB port either. depending on my mood, I am either very particular about the music (have the CDs) or I dont care at all.

I think for some reason the facelifted Jazz jars my senses a bit. Its like seeing your hot favourite supermodel using botox maybe. While I really like beige interiors, I hate the way its done on this car. And as I said earlier the exterior chrome is seriously offputting. it could be because I am used to seeing the Jazz in a particular way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Can somebody find out if the reclining rear seats can be retrofitted on the Jazz? I have already found a solution for the USB thingy.
Saar, please clear your inbox, I cannot send any PMs. I recommend either deleting all the Youve been quoted ones or just clear the Sent folder!

Last edited by selfdrive : 24th August 2011 at 06:55.
Old 24th August 2011, 08:15   #1095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
I have a few queries regarding the Height adjustable driver's seat in the Jazz X.

How much of vertical travel can one expect?? I mean the difference between the highest and lowest points. And is the adjustment manual??

Plus, I have one more strange query. Can one retro fit a height adjustable seat on the front pssenger seat?!? Just in case someone finds the Jazz too low to get into and out of!!
I'm hypothesising that if the adjustment is manual, one could.
This is my take.
The Travel on the seat height adjust is decent. It is manual indeed. There is a lever which you need to tug at. Pulling upwards takes your seat higher, while pushing down on the lever takes your seat down. There are quite a few height levels, so choosing the right one which is most comfortable for you is easy.
I found it more useful for shorter drivers. Who can push up the height for a better view of the road ahead.
Since i am tall, i always keep the height at the lowest possible setting. In both the Civic and ANHC. I find it more comfortable that way.

Regarding retro fitting, not entirely sure. But even if you do manage to get it, the seat would be of the driver's side. Which would mean the height adjust lever and back rest recliner knobs will be on the wrong side. ie. near the gear lever.
Don't worry though the jazz is at a decent height seat wise and getting in and out of it should not be a problem.
The low GC does not necessarily mean the seat position is also low.
Look at the Civic and ANHC.
The Civic is lower in seat height though it has a 10mm higher GC than the ANHC.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed