Re: Honda celebrates 39 Years of 'Civic' heritage

@libranof1987
Is the European version 2 Door?
Old 15th July 2011, 16:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Great thread. Amazing how the Civic generates so much passion among its fans here on T-BHP. From a dedicated service thread to a series of incredibly engrossing ownership reports and now this! Matter of time before dot, mdsaab, Ace355, GTO etc. make an appearance!
. In fact, I was just thinking how come dot, mdsaab, AceF355, GTO, spadix, etc. have not replied to this thread till now. Think, the rush to complete work and get relieved for the weekend has taken its toll on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Though surprising how the 6th gen was 2-door after consecutive 5-door models.
libran, I think its just a coincidence that you have posted the two door version of the 6th gen Civic. IIRC, the 6th gen model went on to become a huge success in its sedan avatar rather than the hatch version. Here is a picture of the 6th gen Civic sedan. More than a decade later, the car still looks pretty good and has aged pretty well over the years.

Image Source: www.cargurus.com
Attached Thumbnails
Honda celebrates 39 Years of 'Civic' heritage-6th-gen-honda-civic-sedan.jpg  

arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 17:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for uploading this!! This really brings back nostalgia in me. I used to regularly browse over Civics advt (2-4 gen) in National Geographic and Time magazines that my dad used to bring home. What a transformation from then to such modern beauties of today the Civic has come thru!!

Quote:
Thought I'd upload these!

1st gen
Attachment 577140

2nd gen
Attachment 577141

3rd gen
Attachment 577142

4th gen
Attachment 577143

5th gen
Attachment 577144

6th gen
Attachment 577145

7th gen
Attachment 577146

8th gen
Attachment 577147

European version
Attachment 577148

2012 version
Attachment 577149
Old 15th July 2011, 17:13   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
@libranof1987
Is the European version 2 Door?
It doesn't look so. There is clearly a panel gap.

I think it has Beat-like door handle (on the window beading).
Old 15th July 2011, 17:21   #20
BHPian

Some how i love the 2-door 6th gen the most next is 8th gen of-course

and EV of civic had both 2 and 4 door version but " For the 5-door models, the rear door is hidden away, with the door handles tucked away at the corners of the rear windows, creating the illusion of a 2-door coupe".

Source : WIKI

Interesting read if some one is interested in reading different iterations of 8th gen civic around the world with specifications

http://www.autozine.org/Archive/Hond...Civic_8th.html

Last edited by raj.barcode : 15th July 2011 at 17:34.
Old 15th July 2011, 22:29   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the heads up arvi86. The Civic really deserves this sort of appreciation. It is one car that never fails to strike the right cords in the heart of an enthusiast.

Quote:
Amazing how the Civic generates so much passion among its fans here on T-BHP.
Not only in tbhp, Civic is one car, that has an endless fan following all over the world/internet. This is primary because of the fact that the civic is one of the most tuner friendly cars out there. Also, the amazing engines/tech it came with deserve a SOLID fan following.
Quote:
PS : Did you notice how the Civic has had the mirrors bolted on the driver door right since the 1st gen! (Barring 4th, 5th and 6th gen though)
Actually, most cars during that time had the mirrors bolted to the door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by princemanatt View Post
All is sacrificed at the altar of fuel efficiency
Fuel efficiency, and emission norms. Two unwelcome words in the dictionary of an enthusiast.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 23:24   #22
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Matter of time before dot, mdsaab, Ace355, GTO etc. make an appearance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
In fact, I was just thinking how come dot, mdsaab, AceF355, GTO, spadix, etc. have not replied to this thread till now. Think, the rush to complete work and get relieved for the weekend has taken its toll on them.
LOL!, You guys are a riot. It was a busy day, achieving nothing at the end.

To appreciate the Civic you need to visit sites like Hondata or Mugen and see how an entire range of performance and support companies have mushroomed around the car over the years. Just have a look at the products they sell. I was checking out the Flashpro tuning tutorial videos. Was amazed at the level of detail that has gone into creating a tuning product, because the fans will have no less.

Maybe Mazda is another car company which has such a pro and street racing following. But then Mazda is a car OEM while Civic is a brand.

I have personally driven the 6th and 7th gen and now the 8th gen. Didnt like the 7th gen too much because it was like an appliance. 8th gen is...well another story altogether. Hallmarks of Civics include a bulletproof and high revving engine and super fitment quality. Stories of 4 hundred thousand miles (6 lakh 40 thousand kilometers) Civics without engine job are pretty common.

One point I didnt like about the Civic (and Corolla, Accord and Camry) is that over the years they have become bigger and bigger in body dimensions. I guess the customer choice has gone in that direction.
Old 16th July 2011, 00:01   #23

There are some discrepancies in the post with he pictures guys. The Hatchbacks are usually the Euro Civics and the Sedans are usually the JDM and US Spec cars.
Old 16th July 2011, 06:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
LOL!, You guys are a riot. It was a busy day, achieving nothing at the end.

Stories of 4 hundred thousand miles (6 lakh 40 thousand kilometers) Civics without engine job are pretty common.
LOL. We were just speculating because the usual riot-makers are missing from the scene. Regarding your second point, do you really mean it? 640,000 kms without an engine job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
There are some discrepancies in the post with he pictures guys. The Hatchbacks are usually the Euro Civics and the Sedans are usually the JDM and US Spec cars.
. AFAIK, European versions were all hatchbacks and the US and JDM versions were sedans.
Old 16th July 2011, 06:40   #25

Quote:

. AFAIK, European versions were all hatchbacks and the US and JDM versions were sedans.
Partially correct. You did get the Sedan versions in Europe. As of now though, only the HAtch is available, which is much much better than the Sedan version for sure.
Old 16th July 2011, 09:09   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Cyrus can you post the sedan-only pics? It would be great to compare like to like.
Old 16th July 2011, 22:42   #27
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding your second point, do you really mean it? 640,000 kms without an engine job?
Yes, I am serious. Just have a look in the net. All they required were timely oil changes.

Quote:
can you post the sedan-only pics? It would be great to compare like to like.
1985 Civic
Name:  1985 Civic.jpg
Views: 1411
Size:  38.5 KB

1990 Civic
Honda celebrates 39 Years of 'Civic' heritage-1990-civic.jpg

1995 Civic
Honda celebrates 39 Years of 'Civic' heritage-1995_civic.jpg

2000 Civic
Honda celebrates 39 Years of 'Civic' heritage-2000civic-.jpg

2005 Civic
Honda celebrates 39 Years of 'Civic' heritage-2005-civic.jpg

Disclaimer: Pictures obtained from google searches.

Last edited by dot : 16th July 2011 at 22:47.
dot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 11:17   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princemanatt View Post
Great Car. But now a days they are diluting the very essence this car stands for:

The 2012 car seems to be all about fuel efficiency. There is no increase in power for the 1.8 L engine and the super high revving 2.0 L engine is replaced by a 2.4L engine that makes just 3 bhp more(although with a lot more torque).

All is sacrificed at the altar of fuel efficiency

Tell me about it, i feel soo bad about Honda doing that, back in the states i had 4 8th gen civics, 3 of them were Si's 2 of them were modded up to almost 350+whp. Honda is replacing them with the same engine that comes in the Acura TSX. Honda should actually put the 2.3L Turbo Charged motor from the Acura RDX that would be fun but regardless the suspension setup on the new 9th gens suck.

On the side note guys, the whole tuner/car modification industry started with civics (well atleast in the states).
Honda/Acura doesnt offer any sports cars anymore, they stopped production on the NSX and S2k and now the 9th gen civic with no real eye catching numbers on paper and on the track.
Old 17th July 2011, 11:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Yes, I am serious. Just have a look in the net. All they required were timely oil changes.

1985 Civic
Attachment 578090

1990 Civic
Attachment 578091

1995 Civic
Attachment 578092

2000 Civic
Attachment 578105

2005 Civic
Attachment 578094

Disclaimer: Pictures obtained from google searches.
85-90 EF Body Style
90-95- EG Body Style
95-00 EK Body Style
02-05 ES Body Style
06-11
1.FG1 (2dr Coupe dx,lx,ex-us version)
2.FG2 (2dr Coupe Si-us version)
3.FA1 (4dr Sedan dx,lx,ex-us version)
4.FA5 (4dr Sedan Si-us version)
5.FD1 (4dr Sedan (the one thats in India and other countries besides US, Also known as a Acura CSX in Canada)
6.FD2 (4dr Sedan the ultimate one yes you guessed it right the CTR!!)
7.FN (3 dr Euro civic)
8.FK (3 dr Type R)

I am a huge civic fan
i<3turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 15:00   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This thread makes for an interesting read. But why should Honda celebrate "39" years . I mean, couldn't they wait for 40?

Nevertheless, an iconic car worldwide and the most important for Honda (along with the Accord). The Civic brings in the numbers, and recently, topped the American charts as the best selling in the country (yup, over the F150 too). I'm a huge fan of the 5th gen Civic because its light, sporty, has proved indestructible & has quite a following amongst drag racers. Actually, the 5th & 6th feel very similar to the Indian favourite, the OHC Vtec.

The 8th gen is one heck of a daily driver. Enjoyable to drive, stunning interior quality, nice high-revving engine and spacious interiors. That said, I don't find the 9th as exciting.

Lastly, I think the Civic has gotten as big as it can, for a car categorised as a compact sedan. Generally, cars get bigger with each successive generation, but there has to be a limit. Case in point : The current gen Accord that received a lot of criticism for its bloated dimensions in the States (its largest market worldwide).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks