Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2016, 10:55   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Exporting an Indian Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Not able to message you, but maybe I can help.
Sir, save for personal details, if you can share the process publically, a lot of members will benefit.
Thanks
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 17:17   #17
BHPian

Re: Exporting an Indian Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastfool View Post
I became enamored with the Mahindra Maxxi-Truck. It impressed me with it's strength and durability. When Mahindra introduced the Big Bolero pick-up earlier this year I decided I wanted to buy one. That's where I need help...

... not ONE emailed me back! ...
Outside of the corporate, India is not very email friendly. You'll most probably be needing help from someone in India and lot of telephone calls.

You must have already considered it but if you are not too particular about Bolero Pik-up, it should be much easier to get the Scorpio or Genio based pickup from Mahindra Australia. On the off chance, it might also be possible for them to import the Bolero Pik-up for you (as a customer from Norfolk Island and not Australia)

Last edited by Senna4Ever : 15th December 2016 at 17:22.
Senna4Ever is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 17:28   #18
BHPian

Re: Exporting a car from India

My wife (British National) has decided to export our Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium 4x4 SUV from India to the UK on a Transfer of Residence basis. It was purchased in Sept 2016 and has barely been driven for 19,000 km during our stay in India.

For the past 3 months I have been given conflicting information of protocol to be observed in relation to customs clearance, documents, NOC etc including disparate cost of shipping on door-to-door basis.

Does anyone know of a reputable and reliable freight forwarder based in India who has demonstrable track record of shipping a private car to the UK please? I'm flying to India this Tuesday 17.9.2019 on a mission to get this sorted once and for all. Any help appreciated.
Old 16th September 2019, 00:30   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbind Ray View Post
My wife (British National) has decided to export our Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium 4x4 SUV from India to the UK on a Transfer of Residence basis. It was purchased in Sept 2016 and has barely been driven for 19,000 km during our stay in India.

It is really worth it?

Importing a car into the UK from outside the EU is only worth if it is a high value car.

You would bet much better cars over there for less. Add to that the issues you might encounter in terms of getting specific vehicle approval (SVA). The carol have been exempt if the car was self owned and over 3 years old. Alas it is under a year old, lacks a DPF, will not be allowed in cities as it may be classified as a high emission vehicle.

Don't , is my advice!
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 00:37   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The carol have been exempt if the car was self owned and over 3 years old. Alas it is under a year old,

2016 September to 2019 September is three years, no?
simeonovitch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 00:47   #21
BHPian

Why so much hassle to export it? Just sell it and buy a better car there itself?
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 02:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
Yes, you’re correct.

Quote:
It is really worth it?
Thanks Ajmat. The car is self-owned hence the exemption. Given the exchange rate at the time, I paid gbp 40,000.00 for the Endeavour which is quite decently specced and suits the countryside where it will be used regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Why so much hassle to export it? Just sell it and buy a better car there itself?
Hi Anand, I’d like to think I’ve already got a decent car here in England.

Selling the Endeavour would incur quite a price drop which for a few thousand pounds would be of more value by its retention. An experienced freight forwarder would alleviate most of the hassles in India as I’m comfortable with the formalities necessary in the UK with DVLA, IVA and HMRC once the vehicle is received over here.

Mod Note: Please avoid back to back posts. Use multi-quote for such needs

Last edited by ampere : 16th September 2019 at 06:50. Reason: back to back posts merged
Arbind Ray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 11:24   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post

Muddled mind reading beyond midnight!!!!

Quote:
Yes, you’re correct.

Thanks Ajmat. The car is self-owned hence the exemption. Given the exchange rate at the time, I paid gbp 40,000.00 for the Endeavour which is quite decently specced and suits the countryside where it will be used regularly.

An experienced freight forwarder would alleviate most of the hassles in India as I’m comfortable with the formalities necessary in the UK with DVLA, IVA and HMRC once the vehicle is received over here.
Well, I hope the math works out. I estimate 3000 pounds for shipping, 1000 pounds for getting conformity stuff done, (changing the instruments mainly, off a Ford Ranger Pickup , I guess!), VAT, main issue will be the certificate of conformity. My estimate is that you might be a couple of thousand pounds worse off, if you go this route but the time and hassle factor might be much more. Whatever it is, I hope things work out for you.

As for export formalities, perhaps find out someone in the vintage car association who managed to send the cars to Pebble Beach and back.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 18:42   #24
BHPian

Finally...UK's first 3.2L Ford Endeavour (Everest) 4x4 SUV Titanium personal import!!

Brief update to say I’m on the homestretch. Driven so far to Southampton and Norwich for IVA Certification which was obtained last week. What a fantastic experience it’s been on motorways as well as the English countryside. Will post a detailed summary after DVLA registration has been concluded with GB number plates to include overcoming challenges of transporting the Endeavour from Bhubaneswar to Felixstowe.

Nod to Prateek Vidya, fellow BHPian for his enthusiasm who has lent a hand with requisite data values from Ford India/Australia.
Attached Thumbnails
Exporting a car from India-tower-bridge-london.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd March 2020 at 09:56. Reason: Endy = Endeavour. No acronyms please.
Arbind Ray is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 19:44   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Finally...UK's first 3.2L Ford Endeavour (Everest) 4x4 SUV Titanium personal import!!

Brief update to say I’m on the homestretch.
Congratulations on the successful mission.

Could you please list the process followed?

It would be good to know.
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 21:57   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Many congratulations! Once you've settled down, please do let us know about all the formalities of the process. Eager to know and may help someone too.

Wish you many happy miles!
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 22:31   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on success of this Endeavour!

It will be great if you can pen down all the process required for this transfer for the help of others too.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 22:55   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wow, great news and congratulations! That is a lovely pic! Please let me know if we can meet, after the Corona fiasco is over. I stay in London.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 12th March 2020 at 22:58.
Old 12th March 2020, 23:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugam View Post
I guess I'll go there and try to find out if I can get anything in lesser than this. If not, local buses are always there to stay.
Hi Sugam,
Sorry to dig up a post that is so old. I am very curious to know, what you ended up doing? Did you take the Indica, or use the local bus, or buy a cycle/bike/car in Mauritius. Post some pics of your ride on the island.
-GG
Old 15th March 2020, 19:37   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I hope the math works out....
...Whatever it is, I hope things work out for you.
Ajmat, your estimate was pretty close. Will provide details of all receipted items in due course. In a nutshell, was it worth it? Absolutely!! Would I do it again? Probably Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Congratulations on the successful mission.

Could you please list the process followed?

It would be good to know.
Thanks batterylow... Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Many congratulations! Once you've settled down, please do let us know about all the formalities of the process. Eager to know and may help someone too.

Wish you many happy miles!
Thought I had settled down...a bit too relaxed while waiting for Ford India to follow through with confirmatory statements. Will share bullet points of processes involved including pitfalls to avoid as soon as DVLA formalities are concluded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Congratulations on success of this Endeavour!

It will be great if you can pen down all the process required for this transfer for the help of others too.
Cheers BoneCollector...that's the plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Wow, great news and congratulations! That is a lovely pic! Please let me know if we can meet, after the Corona fiasco is over. I stay in London.
Thanks BlackPearl. once the coast is clear...most definitely look forward to meeting fellow BHPian!

Last edited by BlackPearl : 15th March 2020 at 20:22. Reason: More than 2 smileys. Thanks.
Arbind Ray is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks