Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2011, 18:15   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedes unveils plan to A-B segments in India

Mr Peter Honegg, MD and CEO, Mercedes Benz India, said, “Initially, cars with Left Hand Drive option, manufactured at our facilities in Germany and Hungary, will be introduced in Europe later this year. We plan to bring them to India by 2012-13 as Completely Knocked Down (CKD) units.”

Mercedes-Benz India plans to unveil A,B class cars in Indian market by 2012-13

Cheers!
Old 25th July 2011, 12:09   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mercedes unveils plan to A-B segments in India

"Global manufacturer Mercedes-Benz has recently been in the news following its efforts in bringing a new small car in the Mercedes-Benz A Class segment. This small car, in fact the lowest priced car of Mercedes–Benz had been reportedly spotted recently.
In India is likely to be placed within the range of Rs 16 lakh to Rs 20 lakh falling under the premium hatchback segment. With the price tag as low as this for a Mercedes-Benz model, let’s hope the customers find it interesting."

Not sure whether the pricing would stir the premium hatch segment!

http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...otted-5171.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes unveils plan to A-B segments in India-aclass1.jpg  

Mercedes unveils plan to A-B segments in India-aclass21.jpg  

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th July 2011 at 12:12.
Old 25th July 2011, 14:41   #3
BHPian

Thanks for sharing Volkman10.

No offense to Merc - but this design reminds me of Korean cars. No way its close to German. But doesnt make much sense.

Lets take a look at the odds
- Merc cannot price it below 10L as it has the "premium image" to retain + Its impossible to have a Merc quality standard car with that price tag.
- Launching a hatch at over 15L would be useless if they cannot live to large car expectation (why a hatch if so).
- A cheaper Merc sedan (comparable to C Class) will have th potential to kill C Class sales and as well as the BMW 3 Series CE

What do we end up with ?
Ans: A C segment car which Merc would price at the cost of C+ seg (for obvious reasons). Making sure its Large and spacious and looks fab. That should draw some attention to the buyers. Merc has the potential to get away with a pricey sedan with the logo in front. But then back to same question: possible hit on sales of C Class ?

Just quick thoughts.
Old 25th July 2011, 15:11   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
Thanks for sharing Volkman10.

No offense to Merc - but this design reminds me of Korean cars. No way its close to German. But doesnt make much sense.

Just quick thoughts.
This is the current generation A Class, I remember seeing these in Germany. The next gen A class, i believe is still in the design phase and in no ways will it look like the current generation A Class.

A survey in Germany has revealed that the youth prefers BMW to Merc because the A and B is not sporty enough. Hence, there is going to be a lot of changes to the current A class. Expect it to be funkier than it is now.
Old 25th July 2011, 20:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

It is a good move for Mercedes to bring in A-B segment.
This is a misconception that these will hurt the reputation of Mercedes as a luxury manf.

In fact I would not mind a Hatch like
-The shape and size of Jazz
-A 140 BHP oil burner
-Features similar to Verna/Fiesta
-And German handling pedigree

I will be willing to put my money in such a Merc/BMW/Audi hatch if price around 15L.
Old 25th July 2011, 20:53   #6

Thats not the car they will bring. The new A Class looks completely diff. Im currently working on the research part of the launch, here is a small preview.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes unveils plan to A-B segments in India-mercedesbenzaclassconcept1-copy.jpg  

Old 25th July 2011, 21:26   #7
BHPian

Thanks, Cyrus, the new A-class looks pretty good overall. But, just like the new BMW 1-series (for which we had a thread here on T-Bhp recently), I think the front bonnet looks oversized and out of proportion to the rest of the car.

Anyway, I'll reserve judgement till the actual car is shown to the world. Any idea when that will be? Will it be at the Frankfurt motor show this year in September?
Old 23rd August 2011, 13:43   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

"Frankfurt Motor Show is going to play host to a plethora of exciting launches. There is still some time to go before the show goes underway, but images and information about cars still under wraps is leaking out already. The latest to join the list of these leaks is the Mercedes-Benz B-class. The new hatch from M-B which is expected to be launched in India as well, promises to take the luxury segment to the masses along with its A-class sibling"
The leaked image shows daytime running LEDs above the car’s headlamps, the signature M-B family crease culminating into the fender, ORVM mounted turn signal lights and a bold front grille-bumper combo. The car seems to be quite big for a hatch and promises to have plenty of space within its cabin. Mercedes-Benz had officially revealed the images of the car’s interior some while ago, showcasing what the latest gen M-B vehicles would look like from inside.
The B-class is expected to be powered by four different power plants at the time of its launch. There will be a 1.6 liter petrol engine in two different states of tune, and a 1.8-liter diesel, again in two different states of tune. The 1.6 petrol will produce 122PS / 156 PS of power and 200Nm / 250 Nm of torque. The 1.8 liter diesel, on the other hand will dish out 109PS / 136 PS of power and 250 Nm / 300 Nm of torque. Respectable numbers, those, but not astonishing by any measure. "

Mercedes B-class image leaked before Frankfurt unveiling
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes unveils plan to A-B segments in India-bclass.jpg  

Mercedes unveils plan to A-B segments in India-bclassinterior.jpg  

Old 23rd August 2011, 15:37   #9
BHPian

Oops! i thought the car in pictures put up earlier was a modified jazz
Surely not the best looking car

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks