Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2006, 16:18   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo

By the way, do you guys think that everyone should have a hammer or some such stuff in their cars so that in case of an eventuality the windscreens can be broken for emergency exit? Maybe RTA can make this as a necessity to drive on the roads!
the Steering Lock (Rod type) comes to my mind..It should be able to break the Windscreens
Old 13th February 2006, 16:23   #17
Team-BHP Support

I guess the impact of the collision left them dazed/unconscious. So they just got charred in their seats. Since it was an explosion (in the fuel tank) the fire would have surrounded the car like an inferno. That hardly left any space for any rescue by anyone.

BTW, dceite where is the pic buddy? Somehow I do not see anything?!! Except for your "here is a pic:" statement. Not even a cross mark for failed loading!
Old 13th February 2006, 16:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
They were CHARRED to death by the fire, they had to cut open the car to extricate the bodies, I'm not sure what the relevance of seat belts is here.....

i am saying that hadnt there been a fire ,the passengers wouldnt have been hurt seriously by the accident ,as the passenger cell looks ok
Old 13th February 2006, 16:28   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1
the Steering Lock (Rod type) comes to my mind..It should be able to break the Windscreens
You mean those separate steering locks that people put on? But then those are not there in every car. Although in this case probably the occupants did not even get a chance before the tragedy struck but otherwise if possible one can try to pick up the jack (not the lever but the actual base) from the hatch. That has enough weight to be able to break the windshield. However that is possible only in a hatchback as one can reach into the boot by folding over the rear seat.
Old 13th February 2006, 17:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

If a Ferrari can catch fire, so can a Palio.
But Fiat are supposed to be very safe cars but there is nutin much u could do if u see a truck comming head on and collide with u.
Old 13th February 2006, 17:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
BTW, dceite where is the pic buddy? Somehow I do not see anything?!! Except for your "here is a pic:" statement. Not even a cross mark for failed loading!
May be your browser problem. For your convenience, here is the direct link:
http://img226.imageshack.us/my.php?i...icture19ao.jpg
Old 13th February 2006, 18:25   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
If a Ferrari can catch fire, so can a Palio.
But Fiat are supposed to be very safe cars but there is nutin much u could do if u see a truck comming head on and collide with u.
Hmmm... noticed something bizzare? A Ferrari and a Palio share the same lineage!!!!!!!
Old 13th February 2006, 18:38   #23
BHPian

A tragedy which was waiting to happen - each time I see some one driving on the right sid eof the road, it realy annoys me - I've seem cars/trucks/2 wheelers doing it all trhe time even on the DND and it's onramps - in fact , its quite prevalent throughout Noida as the cops here are perhaps the most spineless and uncaring of all Indian cops (who dont have a too sterling rep as it is)

Many times, I've been taking a left turn to enter my colony and uim faced with some idiot exiting the wrong side against the flow of traffic just to avoid a 200m detour which involves a u Turn around a stop light - some of these idiots have had the gall to even abuse and shout at me - but i just refuse to move - i turn off my engine and tell them - im not moving my car - either go around me (whch means heading in the centre of a main road with heavy traffic - and some of these idots even do that) or turn left and do it according to the law....

sometime i feel that 90% of us dont deserve to even get behind a tricycle....

I hope th etruck driver gets what he deserves - nothing less than a lifetime in prison or death - unfortunately he'll be out on bail and perhaps will even dodge whatever small sentence this kind of incident (or rather, murder) gets in India.

unfortunately, it's usually the law abiding ones amongst us who get into trouble with the cops - hit some idiot on a cycle coming the wrong way and it's your fault..

My folks got hit at about 15/20 (thank god it was at a low speed) Km/h by a brand new, just-out-of-the-showroom-Optra - they were in the palio adventure - one of the foglamps got bent a bit but the bull bars ensured no major damage - however the optra's front bumper and grille was shredded - serves the a-hole right.

damn ......

boils my blood ..not that I'm perfect - sometimes i drive quite fast on wide roads and expressways/highways - but i make a conscious effort to be a good citizen and avoid this kind of idiocy

when the metro comes to noida, i'm probably going to quit driving in India altogether...

Last edited by zaphod : 13th February 2006 at 18:42.
Old 13th February 2006, 18:52   #24
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
sometime i feel that 90% of us dont deserve to even get behind a tricycle....
Me too.... but then all of us think that we belong to the remaining 10%.

In the pic the car looks more like an Indica to me (probably its the similarity between Indica & Palio)
Old 13th February 2006, 19:03   #25
BHPian

Quote:
True...I guess ' Let He Who Is Without Sin Cast The First Stone ' applies here ...... I'm no saint - In the past I've driven home at night many times after so much booze that i had no right to be in a car (in the US, i'd have been caught, stripped of my license and jailed) - thank god nothing happened - but now I've matured a lot -and try hard to be a careful driver...

I guess each time we get behind the wheel, we should all think of the power we wield - a power that if used wrongly can cause such tragedies.....

Last edited by zaphod : 13th February 2006 at 19:05.
Old 13th February 2006, 21:27   #26
Team-BHP Support

Which sector zaphod! ME too from noida, didnt know so many tbhpians from noida!
Old 13th February 2006, 21:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK

In the pic the car looks more like an Indica to me (probably its the similarity between Indica & Palio)
Even i thought it was an Indica!.. Some of my friends were discussing this thinking it was an Indica.. .. had seen one burn outside IIT gate about a month ago..

Last edited by DCEite : 13th February 2006 at 22:03.
Old 13th February 2006, 23:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

The friction from the impact combined with the ruptured fuel lines can set off a fire.

But the tank is all the way in the back of the car. No way it can burst due to the impact. Pretty obvious the fuel was still flowing and feeding the impact.
Old 14th February 2006, 15:02   #29
BHPian

Is it the Truck Driver's fault ???

Are we targeting the patient or the disease ??

Shouldn't the RTO Officer who gave the Licence be blamed ??

Shouldnt people like us who pay bribe & encourage such behaviour in RTO be blamed ??

Shouldn't Police be blamed who allowed/didnt notice the Truck having no headlights ?

Shouldnt Engineers who designed the roads which no concern for safety be blamed ??

Why make a scapegoat of the poor Truck Walah ?
Old 14th February 2006, 15:09   #30
Team-BHP Support

scapegoat?
These trucks are interstate ones which enter delhi, and usually drive like this, wrong side/no regard for signals.
the problem to an extent is the law.
Indian law says
X hit Y, X bigger than Y Xs fault.
Thats about it.
Jumping red light should mean a 5000rs challan, not a 100rs.
In delhi if you go at 51kmph in a 50kmph zone you have to pay 400rs, but if you put lives at risk by jumping a red light you pay 100rs.
One the peripheral ring road is completed, all non delhi destined vehicles need not enter delhi. this will take care of the traffic problem to a large extent.

Most Viewed