Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2012, 10:53   #136
BANNED

re: Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine

Hello All -

Just had a word with my SA (who sold the Optra to me), cars are reaching showrooms on the 27th, expect a price hike of 80K, I don't know if this has been discussed, the new Cruze will have power seats and stuff.

There is a discount of 30K available on the old Cruze, this can be streched further.

Now this Cruze with 163 BHP and 380 Nm, will take the competition to a new level, the Jetta is less powerful and with these specs it lands the Cruze head on with the Passat.

The cars from the VW stable are much more classier on the interior package but on the specs part (why would some pick up a 1.4L Jetta over a similarly priced 1.8 TSi), I feel the VW group has always overpriced their cars (Now a 12L + Vento HL TDi makes no sense to me).

A 25L Passat with specs close to the New Cruze would make no sense to a Cruze LT @ 16L.

A BIG to GM for bringing on the Z Series engine.

Happy Motoring !!

Last edited by Torquedo : 20th June 2012 at 10:54.
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 11:23   #137
Senior - BHPian

ACI says : improved driveability , improved mileage with the new engine ! In gear times have improved but the car has lost outright punch by just a bit .
Old 20th June 2012, 11:34   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems like the new Engine is a welcome change to the Cruze. I really want to drive this new version not due to gain horsepower but to check out the spread of torque, that torque figure sounds promising and they say it's better spread out. Gaining a new 6 speed 'box, i am sure they might have tuned the ratios more sensibly now.
Old 20th June 2012, 11:59   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Now this Cruze with 163 BHP and 380 Nm, will take the competition to a new level, the Jetta is less powerful and with these specs it lands the Cruze head on with the Passat.

A BIG to GM for bringing on the Z Series engine.
+1 to that.
I am also exited even though there is no reason/justification for me to buy a new car in near future...new technology always feels good and the torque figure is mind blowing. Hope they have not sacrificed the top end performance.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 20th June 2012 at 12:02.
Old 20th June 2012, 12:08   #140
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
the spread of torque, that torque figure sounds promising and they say it's better spread out
Anshuman, I somehow liked the mental nature of the Older Cruze as was the case with the older Swift DDiS, the sudden burst of torque and that pinned down feeling was awesome.

I just don't like the linear delivery stuff.

I just hope the New Cruze does not lose much of that and once the turbo kicks in, it should just FLY !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Hope they have not sacrificed the top end performance.
Anand - Thanks for the +1 there, but somehow I personally feel that the In Gear accelearation timings should improve and hold more importance over the so called top end performance, I just hope it smashes everything in the In Gear acceleration, power on the tap kinda thing.
Old 20th June 2012, 12:39   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anshuman, I somehow liked the mental nature of the Older Cruze as was the case with the older Swift DDiS, the sudden burst of torque and that pinned down feeling was awesome.

I just hope the New Cruze does not lose much of that and once the turbo kicks in, it should just FLY !!
Diesels are all about torque, the previous Cruze was powerful and with those super tall ratios it was a pleasure on highways but compared to other modern Diesels, the powerband was very narrow and power delivery was very peaky. Now if the newer engine starts pulling from low down and has similar topend, i wouldn't care about the feel at 2000rpm. For me the actual performance is more important than the kick at turbo spool up.

Comparing Swifts, i'd pick the newer Swift anyday, and the newer one is actually faster.

If i were looking for peaky power delivery, i'd rather pick the T-Jet or the TSI over these diesels.
Old 20th June 2012, 12:56   #142
BHPian

@vid: You are right. I have only driven 3000 km so far. I could have waited, if I had bloody known it. 380 N-m is mind-curdling. And 6 speed gear box!!!! Today is a bad day!!

But with all this drama, I still love MY Cruze!

BH.
Old 20th June 2012, 13:02   #143
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Comparing Swifts, i'd pick the newer Swift anyday, and the newer one is actually faster.
I seriously doubt if the newer is faster in the In Gear acceleration, it might be faster on the 0-100 run though.

I have driven the newer 2012 petrol, they have killed the clutch on this one for sure and the bottom end it pathetic, did not get to TD the diesel one, but if the clutch is the same, I would not recommend even the diesel to anyone.

Quote:
If i were looking for peaky power delivery, i'd rather pick the T-Jet or the TSI over these diesels.
No wonder I picked up the Optra TCDi for that kick, sadly though on the BS4 it is less pronounced.

I still drool over the TSi, no clue on the T-Jet.
Old 20th June 2012, 13:36   #144
BHPian

Quote:

Linear delivery is a boon in the city. Peaky delivery is a pain. I chose to book the jetta for the linear power delivery and its handling (plus lighter clutch). Due to the long waiting period for the Jetta, I might be interested in the new cruze if the tubo-lag is negligible. I will take a TD very soon (as promised by the salesman).
Old 20th June 2012, 18:54   #145
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
@vid: You are right. I have only driven 3000 km so far. I could have waited, if I had bloody known it. 380 N-m is mind-curdling. And 6 speed gear box!!!! Today is a bad day!!

But with all this drama, I still love MY Cruze!

BH.
Numbers always don't tell the complete story. According to ACI first drive report , old cruze is quicker than new one. More than half a second quicker to 100 and 2 seconds quicker to 160 Kmph. But new Cruze has got more linear power delivery, better NVH, more drivability and more importantly lighter clutch.

http://www.autocarindia.com/Review/3...est-drive.aspx

Last edited by anb : 20th June 2012 at 18:56.
anb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 16:26   #146
Senior - BHPian

launch on June 27, 11:30 a.m., New Delhi
Old 22nd June 2012, 16:42   #147
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Numbers always don't tell the complete story. According to ACI first drive report , old cruze is quicker than new one. More than half a second quicker to 100 and 2 seconds quicker to 160 Kmph. But new Cruze has got more linear power delivery, better NVH, more drivability and more importantly lighter clutch.

New Chevrolet Cruze review, test drive | Review | Autocar India
That is just one side of the story

Positives for the New Cruze

- Power is now up to a substantial 164bhp with the torque swelling to a meaty 38.7kgm. The primary focus of the engine tweak has been to improve driveability, refinement and fuel efficiency.

- As a bonus, the Cruze also gets a new six-speed manual gearbox in comparison to the five-speed unit that does duty in the old car.

- The new engine has a strengthened block to take the extra power and torque, and a completely redesigned cylinder head to incorporate a chain-driven DOHC valve-train as against the rubber-belt-driven one on the previous car

- The air intake, which used to sit far from the inlet manifold, has now been moved closer to improve airflow and help reduce turbo lag.

- The common-rail system has also been upgraded and runs at a much higher 1800bar (against 1600bar in the old car) with seven injections per power stroke compared to five on the old motor.

- Chevrolet has also employed a dual-mass flywheel to reduce engine vibrations.

- The new Cruze pips the old model by half a second in the 20-80kph third-gear slog, while in the 40-100kph run in fourth gear, it’s quicker by a substantial one and a half seconds.

- The engine feels much more responsive at low revs and pulls cleanly from even below 2000rpm, a point at which the old car was still asleep. This, along with the light clutch, make the Cruze a much more city-friendly car.

- On the highway, the new engine with its tall gearing comes into its own to make the Cruze a superb cruiser. In sixth gear at 100kph the engine, turning over at a lazy 1700rpm, is barely audible and the surplus of power makes long-distance driving quite effortless.

- The manual Cruze returned a decent 10.8kpl in the city and 15.7kpl on the highway as compared to the 10.3kpl and 14.8kpl for the old car.

The above points make the new Cruze a better car, both for the city as well as the highways.

Well done Chevy.

Last edited by MAS : 22nd June 2012 at 16:44.
Old 22nd June 2012, 17:55   #148
BHPian

^^ +1

The only concern is the pricing, with the current OTR Mumbai prices ranging from 15.3 L to 18.4 L, an expected increase of 50-80k will take the base model to 16L and the top end above 19L. And over and above that if diesel car prices are indeed hiked then the top end would sit well above 20.

The dream seems to be fading away at a faster speed!
Old 23rd June 2012, 12:02   #149
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine

Bad news for Cruze admirers:

Recall: All Chevrolet Cruze Sedans for Engine Fires - MSN Autos

I believe this relates to Petrol Cruze (since is US is Petrol/Gasoline dominated market), but, the design fault can affect the Diesel ones as well.
Old 23rd June 2012, 15:10   #150
BHPian

Re: Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine

I had an "unofficial" TD of the new automatic cruze. The engine now is more refined and the NVH is better than the older one. Visually, there is no difference. Also the rear headroom has been increased by a little and so has the under thigh support a bit. The expected price increase is 50K-80K ex-showroom. The sales guy also said that there will be an excise duty hike on diesel cars soon (thought it might be a way to make a sale). But, I was told the same by the VW salesman also (in this case he would be losing a sale since I have already booked the Jetta but delivery would be in August, and any increase would make me look elsewhere and the salesman knew that).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks