Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2012, 16:56   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine

June 20th as some dealer has mentioned isn't realistic in my opinion, we are yet to see any face lifted cars being tested in India.

Chevy does have a lot of new launches this year starting with the Sail Twins, the Facelifted Captiva, the Chinese Van and the face lifted Cruze. It will be interesting if they did a not so glamorous launch of the facelifts and spent their cash on the new launches that are volume segment cars.
Old 15th June 2012, 17:41   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
June 20th as some dealer has mentioned isn't realistic in my opinion, we are yet to see any face lifted cars being tested in India.

Chevy does have a lot of new launches this year starting with the Sail Twins, the Facelifted Captiva, the Chinese Van and the face lifted Cruze. It will be interesting if they did a not so glamorous launch of the facelifts and spent their cash on the new launches that are volume segment cars.

That maybe because, the only change/facelift that Cruze might be getting is under the hood. Therefore GM would have road tested the new Cruze but due to lack of cosmetic changes - would have gone unnoticed by passers. Though I must agree that if they launch the Cruze on 20Th June (or near about), this would be one of the most low key launches in the recent time. I guess we will just have to wait and watch.
Old 15th June 2012, 18:10   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch82 View Post
That maybe because, the only change/facelift that Cruze might be getting is under the hood. Therefore GM would have road tested the new Cruze but due to lack of cosmetic changes - would have gone unnoticed by passers. Though I must agree that if they launch the Cruze on 20Th June (or near about), this would be one of the most low key launches in the recent time. I guess we will just have to wait and watch.

I doubt they would do that. The Cruze already has a highly acclaimed power plant and just a upgrade in that department makes no marketing sense. It does not plug a gap in the offering.
If the new Interiors and facelift are out overseas, we will get it here for sure. Also, i believe GM India has already mentioned a few times that they were working on improving the interiors on a few occasions now.
Old 15th June 2012, 18:31   #124
Senior - BHPian

I've been driving a rental cruze here for the last week with the 1.4 turbo petrol engine. While it gives spectacular FE and has very predictable handling, the brakes and gearbox are terrible.

The gearbox is so lethargic, there's never power - only turbo lag when you need the power. It takes 2 seconds before it decides to shift down.

Also the car is 7000 miles old but the brakes seem to have been cooked already. What I hate most is the fact that everytime someone in front of me brakes, I almost end up rear ending the guy. Have been maintaining double the usual distance I maintain to avoid a collision.

I seriously hope the indian cruze has better brakes than this.
Old 15th June 2012, 22:02   #125
BHPian

I just bought the Cruze in April and there is no update for it. I checked through people in most part of GM India. And I said that before. I dont know where Hormazd got his news from though.

BH.
Old 15th June 2012, 22:06   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
I just bought the Cruze in April and there is no update for it. I checked through people in most part of GM India. And I said that before. I dont know where Hormazd got his news from though.

BH.
Do you honestly think they are going to tell you before launching that you should not buy the current one as we will be launching a new updated version soon. They will be trying to sell off as many cars they have in stock. Why would they lose out on current sales by informing customers about an impending refresh in 2 months.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 22:11   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Do you honestly think they are going to tell you before launching that you should not buy the current one as we will be launching a new updated version soon. They will be trying to sell off as many cars they have in stock. Why would they lose out on current sales by informing customers about an impending refresh in 2 months.
But when one has a tenant in GM India R&D, things can be a bit more reliable, if everything else is equal.

And for the record, tell me one car from GM stable they have refreshed since they launched it. Nothing was ever done with Corsa, Vectra, Spark, Beat, Aveo and U-VA. The only exception is they stuck the SRV grill on to the Optra. Theory of averages for GM India indicates "no facelift".

BH.
Old 15th June 2012, 22:42   #128
BHPian

Quote:

BH.
The salesman I was in touch with at Trident Chevrolet called me a couple of days back and told me that the updated cruze will be launched in a few days. He said there were some minor changes like LEDs etc. The engine was going to have more power. The expected price increase is about 40-50K.
Old 16th June 2012, 21:44   #129
Senior - BHPian

Guys don't you think GM will wait for the Elantra to be launched before they launch the face lifted Cruze. It will be a great way of stealing some of the thunder from Hyundai.
Alternately, they could launch the Cruze facelift now and tap many customers sitting on the edge of buying a car. I for one can't wait.
Old 18th June 2012, 10:43   #130
BHPian

Quote:
And for the record, tell me one car from GM stable they have refreshed since they launched it. Nothing was ever done with Corsa, Vectra, Spark, Beat, Aveo and U-VA. The only exception is they stuck the SRV grill on to the Optra. Theory of averages for GM India indicates "no facelift".

BH.
I think they launched a 'refreshed' Optra back in 2006ish, which had a better tuned engine. While the base engine was the same - the fuel economy, consistency of power bands and transmission improved between the Optra with the old grille (3-part) and the one-piece grille.

The Cruze might have very few modifications - but maybe an engine tuned specifically for Indian stop-start conditions would help it get some juice in bumper to bumper traffic?
Old 18th June 2012, 20:14   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudittandon View Post
I think they launched a 'refreshed' Optra back in 2006ish, which had a better tuned engine. While the base engine was the same - the fuel economy, consistency of power bands and transmission improved between the Optra with the old grille (3-part) and the one-piece grille.

The Cruze might have very few modifications - but maybe an engine tuned specifically for Indian stop-start conditions would help it get some juice in bumper to bumper traffic?
And I think Tavera went for 3 rounds of Facelifts which is why they call it Neo3
Old 19th June 2012, 21:41   #132
Team-BHP Support

Looks like Zigwheels got their hands on the upgraded Cruze. New engine is 1998cc vs 1991, with DOHC (earlier SOHC) and power is up to 166PS. Manual gearbox is now with 6speed along with earlier 6 speed AT. Inside now has electric seats.

2012 Chevrolet Cruze: Road Test Page - 1| Zigwheels.com

Quote:
But when one has a tenant in GM India R&D, things can be a bit more reliable, if everything else is equal.
I think the guy working at GM india R&D didn't know much about the Cruze. It's already out.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 19th June 2012 at 21:43.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 22:13   #133
BHPian

Full credit to GM for bringing a real upgraded version rather than a mere facelift of a car and creating a lot of unwarranted noise around it. The beast just got meaner. It's like someone in GM has gotten so addicted to the power that he just can't get enough of it.

166 bhp and 380 NM? We are entering 3 series territory here.

Such a slap on the face of the Corolla Altis D-4D with that puny engine dragging it around. It targets a different customer base, but come on, what a shame!
Old 19th June 2012, 22:53   #134
Senior - BHPian

Already launched without the new ICE and the new bumper ! I find that disappointing.

The previous engine was anyways a stonker and the new one does not add any reasons to buy a Cruze. They probably did this because they will use the same engine in the updated Captiva and it makes sense to make one engine only.
Old 19th June 2012, 23:32   #135
Team-BHP Support

^^ Any news on the suspension? Has it been improved? It's a dynamically sound car, but just neutral. Not really 'fun' around corners. But good nonetheless.

I'd driven a friend's '10 Cruze and it was just a brilliant drive

The only real problem with the Cruze is that it just isn't as accommodating as the Corolla in terms of space. Some of the plastics inside could have been better, but for the price, it isn't bad at all.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks