Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2011, 10:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine

Mod Note : Please continue the discussion in the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze Review Thread. This thread is closed.

I don't know how authentic the news is, but ACI reports in its latest edition that Cruze is in for an update.

On the menu list is (as reported by ACI):

1. Rework of the back seats to liberate more legroom and headroom. Apparently, there have been far too many people who have complained against this.

2. Spruce up the interiors. Please change the grade of plastics on the Cruze. There is huge difference in German(car's) and Cruze's interior quality. It spoils the party in an otherwise smart car.

3. A few nip and tuck exterior job. Oh! Please don't get those aftermarketish looking tail lamps that are prevalent these days. We don't have to change things for the sake of changing them.

4. And hold your breath: A new engine. ACI reports that Cruze will get a spanking new engine from GM's new 'Z' series. The engine is rated at@165PS. Bring it on I say!

I would have generally found the topic far too trivial to be reported. However, I am in for a new sedan in the C/C+ category (depends on Vitamin M)in the next 6 months. SO, I am tracking all the possible developments in either of the two segments.

Last edited by GTO : 17th August 2012 at 15:55. Reason: Adding link to review
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:06   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
I don't know how authentic the news is, but ACI reports in its latest edition that Cruze is in for an update.

1. Rework of the back seats to liberate more legroom and headroom. Apparently, there have been far too many people who have complained against this.

2. Spruce up the interiors. Please change the grade of plastics on the Cruze. There is huge difference in German(car's) and Cruze's interior quality. It spoils the party in an otherwise smart car.

3. A few nip and tuck exterior job.

4. And hold your breath: A new engine. ACI reports that Cruze will get a spanking new engine from GM's new 'Z' series. The engine is rated at@165PS. Bring it on I say!

I would have generally found the topic far too trivial to be reported. However, I am in for a new sedan in the C/C+ category (depends on Vitamin M)in the next 6 months. SO, I am tracking all the possible developments in either of the two segments.

That is awesome news.If it is indeed true,the new cruze will be a cruise missile !! If they indeed make all the changes mentioned and add a dead pedal,then it will be the most complete car in that price bracket.And my next car for sure!
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

What really needs to be worked on

1. Back seat re-design. This is of paramount importance.
2. Plastic quality on the interiors. Add the plush-ness the car offers.
3. Dead pedal

All other things are ones, that one can live with. Oh, yeah the 165ps engine would surely be mouth watering! Do bring it on GM. Add another Cruze missile to the pack!
Old 22nd July 2011, 13:05   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post

3. A few nip and tuck exterior job. Oh! Please don't get those aftermarketish looking tail lamps that are prevalent these days. We don't have to change things for the sake of changing them.

I saw the same being reported on the Autocar show on bloomberg yesterday.

The priorities listed for the upgrade were:

1. more rear space and headroom (apparently the cruze is really short on that)
2. 'Z' series engine with tweaks to up power output to 165 ps.

However, there was no mention of when the update was likely to hit the streets.
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:32   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Correct on the engine upgrade to 165HP. This has been launched in Korea (Daewoo Lacetti) in November 2010 as well as in the EU. However, this was to meet Euro5 norms and not because of a urgent need to replace the existing 148Hp one.

Thus, I doubt that Chevrolet India will ditch the tried-and-tested 2.0 VCDi which has sold thousands in the Optra Magnum, Cruze and Captiva so easily.

What they will do is to definitely bring it in the Captiva and possibly have a top-end Cruze variant with this. That way, they can skim the creamy layer as well!
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

What Cruze needs is

A petrol option thats 1 lac cheaper
Beige Interior option
Xenon headlamps
Fix the crappy A/T in the diesel

I dont see how you can liberate more legroom in the back without changing the chassis.
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:41   #7
BHPian

Rework of the rear seats? Wont this lead to reduced underthigh support and eventually uncomfortable seats. I think a reshaping of the front seats back support is what will really make the rear more spacious while maintaining the comfort level.
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:51   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I dont see how you can liberate more legroom in the back without changing the chassis.
Maybe they can hire a few Japs to work on the interiors

Seriously though would it not be possible to liberate a crucial few mm's without altering the chassis, maybe by slimming down the front seats a bit?
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Just had a cruze AT test drive. Power and drivability is good. But engine noise is high inside the cabin. Waiting for New Jetta with DSG.
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:54   #10
BHPian

Correct me if i am wrong but hasn't there just been a upgrade on the cruze with new interiors and very minor exterior change?

@Mpower : I don't remember correctly but in some reports one of the GM senior person reported that a Cruze petrol is NOT in the pipeline
Old 22nd July 2011, 19:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the engine, well to the best of my knowledge, its the same engine with tweaks. May be they changed turbo or ECU upgradation, but I am sure that its not entirely new generation engine. Similar update is being done on Captiva and in international markets, the same engine develops 180 bhp.

Do correct me if I am wrong.
Regarding the minor changes to the Cruze, I think its a good time to make changes. Newer competition is coming in fast ( new jetta, new Verna and new Fiesta ) and though I agree that they are a segment lower, the pricing is not that different.
This change will help GM further differentiate from others.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 19:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

One change that I will personally like to see is the upgrade in interiors. I mean, they don't look downmarket, but there is nothing to exude any kind of plushness either. They look merely workman like

The quality of plastics and panels used needs lot of rework.
Old 22nd July 2011, 20:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That will not be necessary. The need is for the diesel segment. Moreover GM is not very good with petrol.

Quote:
Xenon headlamps
Yummy

Quote:
It is amazing how a car so big from the outside is so small from the inside. The wheelbase is not the culprit I believe it is that lack of head-space that compelled the rear seat to be pushed forward. All in all less headspace, less leg-space.
Old 22nd July 2011, 21:25   #14

Also needs better headlights. I am certain the current units are meant for LHD as the beam illuminates the right side of the road. A GM engineer came for my compalint and did some minor tinkering, but I am convinced these units are not what is available on the UK or Australian models
Old 23rd July 2011, 15:40   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
While it won't be a showroom dancer, what with petrol prices as high as they are, a good option for those with limited running. But I've not been happy with GM's petrol engines in India.

Quote:
Beige Interior option
BIG time! All cramped cars should avoid dark interior shades (Beat too) as they make the already limited space seem even smaller.

Quote:
Fix the crappy A/T in the diesel
Does GM have the tech? The box they are using right now feels a decade old. Or two when you compare it to the DSG.

Quote:
Limiting travel range of the front seats
Thinner front seats
Deep scoop on the front seat back
Shorter seat base at the rear (a la Micra) to give the feeling of more legroom
Thinner seat back (rear bench)
Change the rear seat back angle (though, this was already done in the Indian Cruze before launch. They made it more upright)
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks