Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2012, 22:02   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Is this Chevrolet's New face-lifted CRUZE?

Most people on this thread have said that they like the earlier Cruze. And I tend to agree with them.

Going purely by the picture provided in the OP, it is a bit of a disappointment. The horizontal-lines don't look very good. I prefer the mesh-grill in the earlier Cruze. Also, what have they done to the front bumper? It looks like they have taken the Beat's bumper and pulled it from both ends to make it wider. What is the point of that?

Chevrolet. The problem with the Cruze was the slightly cramped interior. NOT the front bumper.

This is slowly turning out to be a trend. I wonder if manufacturers actually listen to customer-feedback. Going by the spate of face-lifts in the last month, I don't think they are. Instead of ironing out the existing issues and niggles, they redesign a bumper that was fine just the way it was.

Pity.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th January 2012 at 22:05.
Old 30th January 2012, 14:13   #62
BHPian

When my father and I were considering the Cruze late last year, I read somewhere (probably ACI) that GM was planning to upgrade the Cruze by the end of 2011. The fact that Cruze is the closest you can get to a muscle car in the Indian market without being totally ripped off, and the fact that it is diesel (with no petrol version!) were two major factors that influenced our decision.

But these are all rationalizations...the Ford Fiesta diesel (which we would probably have bought instead, had the second Chevrolet showroom in Kanpur not cold-shouldered us like the first) was a strong contender (albeit in a lower segment).

The fact is: when we first lay eyes on the Cruze, the first impression was the length, the elegance and of course...the GRILL. I could've shortened my post by simply saying this first, but I completely hate what they have done to the grill in that first picture! I totally second comments that the current Cruze looks way better. But then, I am a huge fan of long uncompromising sedans from the good old days of American muscle cars.

I am glad we did not wait for the new version to be launched (especially if this is what GM is planning to do to the grill). I am quite happy with the 150 PS that my Cruze has, though I would no doubt be tempted to buy the newer one if it had > 150 PS and >> 327 Nm torque....provided they kept the current grill design!

My personal opinion is that most of the grill facelifts at the Auto Expo made good cars look worse, for instance look what they did to the Toyota Fortuner, Tata Safari and the Toyota Innova. Hyundai's new Sonata is of course an exception. Would have liked to see a Honda Accord diesel, but that's probably too much to ask for from Honda.
Old 30th January 2012, 15:58   #63
Senior - BHPian

The issue with the cruze is that once you sit inside, you dont feel like you are in a 15 lakh car! The jetta makes a better case for itself, at least in the inside. But the cruze has a stonker of an engine. And a great strategy by Chevrolet to have it only in diesel. Petrol car of this size makes little sense these days.
Old 30th January 2012, 23:07   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
The issue with the cruze is that once you sit inside, you dont feel like you are in a 15 lakh car! The jetta makes a better case for itself, at least in the inside. But the cruze has a stonker of an engine. And a great strategy by Chevrolet to have it only in diesel. Petrol car of this size makes little sense these days.
I am aware of this perception, but (a) I would not know how a 15 lakh car is supposed to feel from inside since I wasn't interested in luxury, but rather muscle, (b) I personally do not care much for interior quality unless its awful, and I lay more emphasis on the instrument cluster and (c) Volkswagen did not impress us much when we visited them. They were hell bent on selling us the Polo after making us fill out a stupid questionnaire. They also did not seem very confident about maintenance costs and running performance of their diesel engines. Their statements suggested that their local staff was not very well versed in diesel engines, and sure enough most VW cars I've seen in Kanpur have been petrol.

Having said that, I'm sure VW make very good cars: we were about to buy the Vento until we started interacting with the VW folks, who changed our mind in favor of the Ford Fiesta...until we saw the Cruze, when everything was sealed.

So yes, I will agree that Chevrolet needs to add more features to the car. But I think the way it is now, it has a decent fuel efficiency and torque for Indian conditions (read: pits, potholes, etc.). Adding too much horsepower and torque -- although a welcome move as a muscle car lover -- could upset the equation, and prove to be an impractical move.

If they really must upgrade, they should give options like a satnav, bluetooth telephony, more vibrant and informative control screen, etc. Stuff like individual door open/shut indicators, reverse camera, etc. could be offered.
Old 2nd February 2012, 19:27   #65
BHPian

re: Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine

Their site again mentions (New) when you go to price, Any idea what exactly is new?
Attached Thumbnails
Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine-screen-shot-20120202-7.25.09-pm.png  

Old 3rd February 2012, 08:37   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Their site again mentions (New) when you go to price, Any idea what exactly is new?
They havent updated their site since the last refresh of Cruze.
Old 29th February 2012, 16:06   #67
Senior - BHPian

ACI reports a follow up article: Chevrolet Cruze facelift revealed, partially - News - Autocar India.

It's not very informative but the pics they have attached confirms the pic that was posted a couple of pages back. What I am interested is (in order of preference):

1. Interior quality upgrade. The current car boasts of 10 lakh car quality.
2. Rear seat space management. Although I am generally not a fan of 'my car has more room than yours' type psychology, I think the Cruze certainly calls for improvement (I generally think 'big enough' is 'good enough').
3. New engine. A bonus I guess.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 29th February 2012 at 16:08.
Old 29th February 2012, 16:45   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
If those are the new alloys considered for Cruze, it will rock! They have mentioned the engine bump, redesigned console and a reversing camera, which means that the screen will be a colored one instead of the current blue monotone. Looking forward to March 6th.

Attaching the images from ACI:

Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine-0_0_700_httpi.haymarket.net.auextraimages20120229073344_2013chevroletcruzestationwagon_4.jpg

Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine-0_0_700_httpi.haymarket.net.auextraimages20120229073342_cruz1.jpeg

Name:  0_0_700_httpi.haymarket.net.auExtraImages20120229073349_cruz2.jpeg
Views: 2325
Size:  24.1 KB

Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine-0_0_700_httpi.haymarket.net.auextraimages20120229073353_cruz3.jpeg

Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine-0_0_700_httpi.haymarket.net.auextraimages20120229073355_cruz4.jpeg

MODS: Please remove the images if its against copyrights.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 29th February 2012 at 16:49.
Old 29th February 2012, 23:57   #69
Senior - BHPian

Im so glad i waited all this while for the facelifted Cruze. That new console with the awesome looking AC vents and touchscreen infotainment looks fantastic. If they keep the existing features of the LTZ and offer the new ones as an addition, this would be one hell of a package to beat for the competition.
Old 1st March 2012, 01:30   #70
BHPian

March 6th, it would be the revealed at the Geneva Motor Show, wonder how much longer will we have to wait for it to hit the Indian shores. Nonetheless, waiting for the 6th for the complete detailed pictures of the interiors and more on when it could be expected to hit our shores. I really would want to test-drive this beast especially if the India is treated with the 163bhp. I need a replacement for my Civic, looking around now.

Regards
Old 1st March 2012, 11:08   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more blurry screengrabs via Youtube.

In my opinion:
1. Dashboard now is high-tech but a bit too glitzy with the chrome etc.
2. The new fogs, grill and bumper will slowly grow on people.
3. Lovely alloys
4. The rear seat seems to be simply scooped out and not a change in incline angle etc.
5. The new engine will be a stunner going by EU reports!
Attached Thumbnails
Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine-clipboard11.jpg  

Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine-clipboard13.jpg  

Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine-clipboard12.jpg  

Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine-clipboard14.jpg  

Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine-clipboard15.jpg  

Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine-clipboard16.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 1st March 2012 at 11:13. Reason: Typo
Old 1st March 2012, 12:53   #72
BHPian

Just a Google search for Cruze facelift shows up quite a few links to auto-websites. Sadly they indicate that the facelift will be hitting our shores only by 2013 .

Quote:
The 2013 Chevrolet Cruze will arrive in the European market by the summer of 2012 and will land on the Indian shores by 2013.
Quote:
For India however, Cruze will be housing a 2.0-litre CRDe developing 163 PS. It is expected to hit the Indian market by 2013.
http://www.oncars.in/Car-News-Detail...ndirectly/1926

http://www.indiandrives.com/chevrole...-unveiled.html

Last edited by rangakishen : 1st March 2012 at 12:58.
Old 1st March 2012, 14:12   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
Just a Google search for Cruze facelift shows up quite a few links to auto-websites. Sadly they indicate that the facelift will be hitting our shores only by 2013 .

Chevrolet Cruze Facelift revealed - Indirectly | Latest Autos & Car News | OnCars.in

Chevrolet Cruze Facelift unveiled
I doubt they will wait till 2013 to get the facelift into India because once they have the new engine in the Captiva which is launching in April, it makes sense to use the same engine in the cruze. Making 2 engines will not make sense for Chevy. Also, there is an all new cruze expected in 2014, and a 2013 launch for a facelift is too close to the new car and would certainly hit volumes. Launch it now to compete with the new Elantra and new Civic, both of which are expected to have diesel engines in 2012.
Old 5th March 2012, 10:11   #74
BHPian

Guys, look what i spotted yesterday on the NH8 while coming to Mumbai. Looks like the all new Chevrolet Cruze. I had to literally rev the pants of my swift to keep up with her. It was the top of the line LTZ AT.

Apologies for the pic quality as the only cam I had was the excuse of a one on my BB. Most of the pics are only of the rear (most of you would know why), however was able to click few pics of the front whenever i was able to overtake it (for a few minutes only afterwards it would zoom past me), courtesy my RVMs.

The rear. Tail lamps are a full array of LEDs. Here the brake lights are on.
Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine-img00059201203041721.jpg

Few more pics of the rear
Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine-img00062201203041722.jpg

Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine-img00064201203041722.jpg

Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine-img00065201203041722.jpg

Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine-img00068201203041723.jpg

Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine-img00069201203041723.jpg

The front as seen from my RVMs. The headlights feature a projection setup and look highly detailed with an Audi A8 esque tube of leds running within the
headlights. The bumper features DRLs (ala E-class and Laura vRS) below conventional fogs.

Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine-img00074201203041728.jpg

Name:  IMG00073201203041728.jpg
Views: 2045
Size:  53.9 KB

Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine-img00075201203041729.jpg

Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine-img00076201203041730.jpg

One thing I noticed was that the temp no. began with a GJ-5 TC XXX, which means that it might be a dealers (Surat) car as all GM factory cars are registered with GJ-17 (Halol).

Couldn't make out much of the interiors but saw the outline which was similar to the current Cruze. So, that Corvette like cockpit remains.

Coincidentally, saw the same car when I was entering Mumbai. As night had fallen, was able to see the front fully lit (Sorry, no pics). Let me tell you that it will put a Christmas tree to shame.

Await your comments and also confirmations that it is indeed the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze.
Freewheelin_KD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 10:30   #75
BHPian

The car looks stunning, even with the low quality images. Also with the new Engine, i.e. 2.2 ltr if I am not wrong, is going to be great.

I simply think, Cruze is the best car in its segment now. But with Chevy's brand image, it is a bit difficult to take on the Toyota, Hyundai and VW (Don't think Honda is in competition any more). Never the less if I have the money, I will put it on Cruze (i.e. as of today)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed