Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2012, 22:11   #91
BHPian

re: Cruze Updates in pipeline: EDIT: Launched with new engine

inquired with a chevy dealer in andheri and he said that usually the dealers are informed 2-3 months prior to the launch of a new car but in this case they haven't been informed or given any info from chevy so it may take long. maybe in october-november. and then i asked about the new captiva to check if they are informed about it and also since updated cruze is expected after the new captiva. he said that they are already informed about the new captiva so it can be in 2-3 months now. but I think that the captiva is a complete new model hence they are informed where else cruze is just a facelift so maybe they aren't informed about it yet. so i am hoping that they will launch in a few months time max.

by the way i drove my uncle's manual cruze LT for a good 70-80 kms including highway and some city bumper to bumper traffic and was really surprised because I didn't feel the turbo lag or the clutch as bad as it is made out to be here on the forum! infact i was surprised to find it really good and smooth car and hardly felt the turbo lag. the diesel engines have really come a long way.. in fact my right leg was paining a bit because of the accel-brake-accel-brake action in bad traffic! now can only wonder how good and easy the auto must be...
Old 6th April 2012, 23:46   #92
BHPian

Been quite a while since I'm hearing about this upgrade. A close friend of mine had a chat with Vikas Jain a few days back and he declined that a new upgraded Cruze is in the pipeline anytime soon... Not in the next 2-3 months at least. They are looking forward for a 3 major launches this year and that is the Captiva facelift, the MPV and the sail sedan.
Old 29th April 2012, 22:32   #93
BHPian

Hello friends,

My first reply on Team BHP so I would like to make some valuable contribution to start with.

I had been researching for the past many day and trying to gather information on the "face lift" Cruze (with the reported grill change, fog lights, more rear space etc etc). I inquired from friends who are in the automobile industry - own car showroom(s) and they/he first gave me an initial feedback that as per his "sources in Chevrolet" there is a "face lift/ upgrade" expected to launch in May - June 2012 with a lot of interior and feature upgrades. This upgrade was expected to be launched anytime post Feb 2012 but was considerably delayed.

However a few days back I happened to speak to someone who works at a good position in Chevrolet/GM and he confirmed that there is no "face lift" per se to the Cruze, anytime soon. The only change that is expected is a 160 - 165 PS engine upgrade. Rest "EVERYTHING" remains as it is. Not even so much as a grill change. The expected increase in price is around 70,000. It should launch in May end and delivery should start in June. He was very confident about it and so I think the information is correct.

Now this news is conflicting to the the "over all upgrade" news as confirmed by other sources and all over the web. But somehow I feel the only upgrade we will get is actually the better engine.

I also tried to cross question a few dealers and they were are all clueless about any upgrade/face lift to the Cruze (they did not appear to be lying/hiding). Though a few did confirm on the launch of new Captiva beginning May.

Therefore I guess we will have to wait and watch for another month. But a mere engine upgrade can be not worth the extra 70k - 1 L. The present Cruze has enough horses under the hood. But maybe the extra Bhp will definitely improve the initial lag in MT and the rubber band effect in AT.

Hope this helps for all waiting for the new Cruze upgrade....like yours truly.

Thanks.
kch82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 01:12   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch82 View Post
Hello friends,

My first reply on Team BHP so I would like to make some valuable contribution to start with.

I had been researching for the past many day and trying to gather information on the "face lift" Cruze (with the reported grill change, fog lights, more rear space etc etc). I inquired from friends who are in the automobile industry - own car showroom(s) and they/he first gave me an initial feedback that as per his "sources in Chevrolet" there is a "face lift/ upgrade" expected to launch in May - June 2012 with a lot of interior and feature upgrades. This upgrade was expected to be launched anytime post Feb 2012 but was considerably delayed.

However a few days back I happened to speak to someone who works at a good position in Chevrolet/GM and he confirmed that there is no "face lift" per se to the Cruze, anytime soon. The only change that is expected is a 160 - 165 PS engine upgrade. Rest "EVERYTHING" remains as it is. Not even so much as a grill change. The expected increase in price is around 70,000. It should launch in May end and delivery should start in June. He was very confident about it and so I think the information is correct.

Now this news is conflicting to the the "over all upgrade" news as confirmed by other sources and all over the web. But somehow I feel the only upgrade we will get is actually the better engine.

I also tried to cross question a few dealers and they were are all clueless about any upgrade/face lift to the Cruze (they did not appear to be lying/hiding). Though a few did confirm on the launch of new Captiva beginning May.

Therefore I guess we will have to wait and watch for another month. But a mere engine upgrade can be not worth the extra 70k - 1 L. The present Cruze has enough horses under the hood. But maybe the extra Bhp will definitely improve the initial lag in MT and the rubber band effect in AT.

Hope this helps for all waiting for the new Cruze upgrade....like yours truly.

Thanks.
Its the oldest trick in the book. Companies and Dealers will never admit to a new launch as they have their current interests in terms of stock and quarter results in mind. If they were to admit to a new launch which is 3-4 month away, it could lead to an entire financial quarter of low sales which no company will ever want.

If the Cruze pics are available online with the upgrades, i have no doubt that they will make it to India. Every car goes through a mid life facelift and so will the cruze in India. The increase is price justified and probable if we get the new touchscreen interface, upgraded engine, bluetooth telephony etc. They can afford to increase the price as the closest competitors Jetta and Laura are already more expensive.
Old 30th April 2012, 01:36   #95
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Hello friends,

Thanks for the information. Did he say anything about gear box? I think this is the 1998 CC, 2.0LZ20D1 engine which develop 163 PS/120 kW@3800 rpm and 360 Nm@1750-2750 rpm. This engine is globally available with a 6 speed gearbox. So I think the updated Cruze will have a 6 speed gearbox,http://www.chevrolet.co.uk/cars/cruz...and-specs.html

Last edited by anb : 30th April 2012 at 01:38.
Old 30th April 2012, 01:37   #96
BHPian

I agree Nik that dealers will never reveal the real release date. But my information is based more on the inputs of friends in the industry and those working with GM. Therefore I doubt this information will be largely incorrect.

However I agree that Cruze is in need for upgrades such as touch screen and Bluetooth telephone connectivity. I do not want to spend another 40 - 50 k on a Mega Audio screen. Will be extremely disappointing if GM just agrees to come out with the engine upgrade. Guess we will just have to wait and watch.

I have been anxiously waiting for this car but the updates on the upgrades have kept me waiting endlessly. Though I am still in two minds of purchasing this car due to horror stories on after sales service. But then competitors from VW and Skoda stable do not offer any better after sales.

Cheers.
Old 30th April 2012, 08:04   #97
BHPian

It has been said umpteen number of times that the current generation Cruze look is far better looking than the international Hatchback/Estate Cruze look, which might be the new 'face lift' if at all anything is announced.
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:18   #98
BHPian

Quote:
I also spoke to someone at GM, who told me that there are no plans to do anything to the ECU, or to the engine in general, as that will require major upgrades on the manufacturing front. The cosmetic upgrade is not coming to India this year.
Old 7th May 2012, 19:51   #99
Senior - BHPian

New face-lifted Chevrolet Cruze Launch in June 2012.

Read an article which stated launch of new face-lifted Chevrolet Cruze in June 2012.

Quote:
The new Cruze will take design cues from this Cruze Station wagon sold abroad!

Looks: The new Cruze will have a redesigned grille and refreshed fog lamps. The headlamps of the outgoing model make the Cruze look aggressive and hence, the designers have not altered the overall shape of the headlamp on the facelift version. A new alloy wheel pattern will also be seen on the upcoming Cruze facelift. Inside, expect improved headroom for rear passengers.

Performance: The upcoming Cruze will be powered by GM’s Z series, 2.0 litre, DOHC, common-rail diesel motor that produces 163 Bhp (presently it is 148 Bhp) of power. The new Cruze will have an edge of a wholesome 23 Bhp over the Jetta that belts out 140 Bhp of power and is one of its key competitors. Read more about the new Cruze here.

Mileage: The new Cruze may have a slightly lower mileage than the present model which has an ARAI-certified mileage of 17.30 kmpl for the manual variant and 14.39 kmpl for the automatic variant.

Variant and price details: Expect the 2012 Cruze to be offered in three variants namely the 2.0 LT, 2.0 LTZ MT and the 20. LTZ AT. The price of the new Cruze may be slightly more than the present model which is priced in the range of Rs. 12 – 14.44 lakh

Source: Link
Hope it helps prospective car buyers who have been waiting for the new updated Cruze with new looks and updated engine.

The new Cruze will come with a 2.0 L(1998cc) VCDi Engine belting out 161 BHP and 360 NM torque. Engine specs link. Article above mentions 163Bhp whereas Wikipedia states it as 161 Bhp, wish the former be correct. The new Cruze gonna be even faster and much more fun to drive.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 7th May 2012 at 19:52. Reason: Typo.
Old 7th May 2012, 22:28   #100
Senior - BHPian

I dont think i would consider cartoq as a reliable source of info. I doubt a June launch is going to happen and Chevy may just wait for the Elantra to launch before they bring in the facelift.

Chevy will want to keep there car fresh and the Elantra is certainly a big threat.
Old 9th May 2012, 08:15   #101
BANNED

Some news for the perspective Cruze buyers, you might wanna hold on till June if this be true:

General Motors will be launching the updated Chevrolet Cruze in the month of June 2012. The American automaker was supposed to launch the facelift of the Chevrolet Cruze at the 2012 Auto Expo, but has delayed it by almost six months. The Cruze facelift will get minor updates to the exteriors, with a new fog light cluster, air dams, head lamps, alloy wheels and tail lamps. The changes to the interiors are minimal with changes of colours on the dashboard and instrument cluster. A new audio system with ‘MyLink’ smartphone pairing debuts as well.

While the changes to the exteriors and interiors might not sound exciting, the biggest change is to the engine of the Cruze. GM has given the Cruze an all new Z-Series engine, which is 7cc more in capacity than the old motor. The 2.0-litre, Z-series diesel engine produces a power output of 163 BHP and a torque output of 360 Nm. While the 15 BHP power bump might not sound very exciting, the real advantage of the Z-Series engine over the VM-Motori powerplant is the refinement and driveability it offers.

The Cruze is expected to offer reduced turbo lag along with faster acceleration times. Fuel efficiency too is expected to improve marginally.
While the changes to the Chevrolet Cruze are welcome, what is unwelcome is the increase in price. GM will hike prices between 2.4-4% on the Cruze, making the vehicle costlier by Rs. 30,000-45,000/-. If you are on the fence waiting to decide between the old Cruze and the upcoming model, we would suggest waiting. Once the new model arrives, dealers will clear inventory with heavy discounts. But if you want the latest, you should opt for the Cruze with the Z-series engine. Not only is it faster and more frugal, it also complies with Euro V norms and is lower on maintenance as well.

Source: GM To Launch Updated Cruze In June 2012 | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 12:38   #102
BHPian

Hormazd Sorabjee tweets: "For all of you asking face-lifted Cruze coming in June".

With even more power and improved driveability, it should be an Indian flavored American muscle car.
Old 9th May 2012, 14:58   #103
Senior - BHPian

Please add better brakes - ones that don't need change of brake pads every 20k kms. There are a few threads on tbhp already and a friend of mine is cribbing about the pads wearing out soon too.
Old 9th May 2012, 15:48   #104
BHPian

I just took the delivery of a new Cruze on 5th May. I was categorically told by the GM officials and unofficially by the friends who work at GM Labs in Whitefield/Bangalore that there is no updates for Cruze anytime soon. They are very busy with Sail and the new MPV launches.

I would suggest that if you are waiting on the fence, please do not. It is possibly not worth the wait and hiked pricing, even if it gets updated.
Old 9th May 2012, 20:14   #105
Senior - BHPian

This is great news. A significant increase in power and torque. But I to me the single most important piece is this!

Old 150ps engine:
Max Torque : 327@2600rpm
Chevrolet Cruze LT Technical Specifications, Chevrolet Cruze LTZ Specification

New 163 ps engine:
Max Torque : 360 Nm@1750-2750 rpm
Chevrolet Cruze - Compare engines, wheels and performance

The Car's going to be awesome in city as well as in Highway! Its well worth the wait.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 9th May 2012 at 20:18.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed