Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2012, 12:25   #151
BHPian

re: New Maruti 800. EDIT : SCOOP pictures on Page 7 & 15

yuck ! It looks like Maruti guys have run out of ideas. This one looks like a mix of all the models, viz., Ritz, A Star, alto and what not !!
Old 25th June 2012, 12:52   #152
Senior - BHPian

Here's a report in today's Mint that says the trial run for this car has begun. Launch expected around Diwali. The report also says that it will be pitted against the Hyundai Eon meaning the price will be above the current Alto.

Maruti starts trial runs of new*800cc*car - Home - livemint.com
Old 25th June 2012, 14:15   #153
Senior - BHPian

The car looks like a mish mash of the A-star and the current Alto. Anyway, it should do well if its directly positioned against the EON. The current Alto may be priced cheaper and will eventually exit the market in 1-2 years.
Old 25th June 2012, 17:52   #154
BHPian

Maruti 800 Replacement Spied

Some reasonably genuine looking pictures of Maruti's 800 replacement:

Maruti Alto 800 spied undisguised - Coming this Diwali

Looks like the the unimaginative design will get the equally unimaginative moniker "Alto 800". To me, the design looks very unoriginal... side profile of an A-Star, Figo inspired front, Beat inspired rear bumper and i20 inspired tail-lights onwards. But yes, that is what sells here, assuming it meets all the other Maruti-regular attributes.

While the 800 will be replaced, which other models will/should Maruti discontinue?
Existing 800 cc Alto?
Alto K-10?
A-Star?
Zen Estilo?

Also, anyone got any more details on whether this lil thing could be launched with diesel from day 1 or something?
Old 26th June 2012, 08:48   #155
BANNED

I think the Alto stable will consist of 4 models - current Alto, AltoK10, this Alto800, and a 1L K-series version of this model named Alto1000. The Estilo and 800 may be discontinued. The present hefty discount of Rs 70 - 80K for Estilo is a proof for that.
Old 26th June 2012, 10:43   #156
BHPian

Re: Maruti 800 Replacement Spied

Going by the records, this car will face criticism at and before its launch for its design etc.

But we should keep in mind, Maruti Suzuki has been the most successful small car manufacturer of India and they know what Indian masses desire in their cheapest cars.

They surely needed to cope with Eon for its futuristic looks in this segment.

IMO it is high time to discontinue Alto. (Not Alto K10)
Old 26th June 2012, 10:48   #157
Senior - BHPian

Is this for real, or is it an elaborate PaintShop hoax? The pictures looks so very cut-and-paste, I have my doubts.
Old 26th June 2012, 11:09   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Is this for real, or is it an elaborate PaintShop hoax? The pictures looks so very cut-and-paste, I have my doubts.
I own two Maruti cars among others and i have built a relationship with my dealer and was invited to preview this car recently. I can tell you with certainty that this is the most insipid, vapid, tasteless and nondescript new car model i have ever set sight on though there is more space inside and ground clearance is better than the current Alto or M800. My shock at the design was treated with the indifference it deserves as Maruti does have the pulse of the people and gives them what they desire and i believe cars reflect the psyche of the country they were developed in. This car will sell in the thousands. My phonecam was confiscated at the door, else i would have sneaked a pic or two.

I'm really hoping that the Cervo will also be launched as i was told (Estilo replacement?) alongside this car to satisfy the small minority in this country who like well built/designed but also aesthetically pleasing cars, regardless of size/capacity.
Old 26th June 2012, 12:14   #159
BHPian

The rear windows seem smaller than the Beat's. The pricing will be key here, so I think we can rule out a diesel variant. The front bumper extends so high up, I think it will definitely not be not pedestrian crash friendly. And the i20 inspired rear bumper is positively ghastly!
Old 26th June 2012, 12:21   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
Maruti does have the pulse of the people and gives them what they desire and i believe cars reflect the psyche of the country they were developed in.
Too true, unfortunately. Most people treat cars as just another appliance to get from A to B, so there's no demand for a little verve, style or character. The interesting thing is there has to be something about a car that makes you smile, whether it's the styling, the performance, or something indefinable that puts a smile on your face. Reliability and low maintenance costs will never be enough for a petrolhead if fundamentally the car's a bore with no character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
I'm really hoping that the Cervo will also be launched as i was told alongside this car to satisfy the small minority in this country who like well built/designed but also aesthetically pleasing cars, regardless of size/capacity.
The Cervo's all the proof you'll ever need that cheap and cheerful aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. That a car can be cheap and still look great. That styling matters. I really hope this thing sees the light of day soon.
Old 26th June 2012, 12:27   #161
Senior - BHPian

The front is so much 'Ford Figo'. Wouldn't this attract legal action? I mean, its not 'inspired'. Its almost 'copied'.
Old 26th June 2012, 12:39   #162
Senior - BHPian

One more UGLY designed vehicle from Maruti. The front looks like 'Figo', rear takes inspiration from A-star, side profile is a mixture of Ritz and A-star.

The Alto looks MUCH better in comparison, I hope Maruti doesn't discontinue Alto ( not K10 ) and launches this.

Pricing will be a key factor here.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 26th June 2012, 12:55   #163
Senior - BHPian

I think MSIL is out on a mission to redefine ugly. Yuck !!!

Same discussion already happening on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...age-7-a-9.html
This thread should be merged with the existing thread to avoid discussion of the same topic in 2 threads.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 13:11   #164
BHPian

If you ask me, this is what I feel about the design (or how they got to it!):

Rear: Take the A-star and rear end it with a Hyundai i20. Sprinkle some Beat-y finishing touches

Front: Take the existing Alto K10 and ram it into a Ford Figo Shell and fuse the 2 together.

More or less, I get that "a-la terminator metallic fusion" styling feel when I see this hideous design.

But, that's what we said when we first saw the yucky Santro, the boxy rear of Qualis, the W**T** rear of Ritz. It's just a matter of time before the public sees this car as the choice of the "Indian consumer" and ignores looks for comfort/features and most important "Mileage" factor. Given the current cost of Petrol, am sure that this vehicle will come with a ARAI certification of 25 (+/-2) kmpl.

Also, this may spell the end of the current Alto 800 and depending on how well this car does, MS may even introduce a 1Litre version and discontinue the K10 and lay to rest the tried and tested chassis / body fabrication units of the current Alto platform.
Old 26th June 2012, 13:24   #165
BHPian

I moment i saw the photographs i burst into laughter. Looks like a hoax.
My Maruti 800 is such a beauty in front of this design. Why would they want to do this and ruin the legacy of the car?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed