Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2012, 15:30   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

re: New Maruti 800. EDIT : SCOOP pictures on Page 7 & 15

Quote:
New 800cc car that is likely to be more fuel efficient, but also more expensive, than its existing best selling model Alto.
Quote:
The commercial production of the car will start from July or August and it will be launched by Diwali. This will be produced at the Gurgaon facility
Maruti to launch new 800cc car by Diwali - The Economic Times
Old 26th June 2012, 16:20   #167
Senior - BHPian

I think this is the replacement for F10 Alto and not new Maruti 800. That's why it is badged as Alto 800. People will get both the feel of old 800 and new Alto.

Current Maruti Alto 800 is here since ages and there is hardly any design change except for minor alterations in grills and lights design. So it requires complete makeover.
Old 26th June 2012, 19:45   #168
Senior - BHPian

Maruti's new 800cc car to hit market later this year

The news is out on HT today evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtesy : HT/26 Jun 12

Maruti Suzuki India is gearing up to introduce by the end of this year a new 800cc car that is likely to be more fuel efficient, but also more expensive, than its existing best selling model Alto. According to sources close to the development, the company will start commercial production of the car at its Gurgaon facility from July or August and will launch it by Diwali.

"Although this will be a 800cc car, technologically it will be more advanced than the existing two 800cc models. It'll be more fuel efficient, and hence will also be more expensive than M800 and Alto," a source said.

It is understood that MSI has upgraded the existing engine and platform of the Alto instead of a complete overhaul in order to reduce development costs.
As per the company's official website, the prices of M800 varies between Rs. 2.05 lakh and Rs. 2.30 lakh, while that of Alto stands at Rs. 2.40-3.43 lakh. A 1,000cc variant of the Alto is priced at Rs. 3.14-3.31 lakh. All the prices are for ex-showroom, Delhi.

When contacted, a Maruti Suzuki India (MSI) spokesperson declined to comment "on any future model development". Sources said the ... ...
Read the full article here :Maruti's new 800cc car to hit market later this year - Hindustan Times

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th June 2012 at 14:09. Reason: Removed part of the article as part of fair usage. Thanks.
Old 27th June 2012, 00:41   #169
BHPian

Re: Maruti's new 800cc car to hit market later this year

I fail to understand the logic behind this move (if at all this news turns out to be true) for 2 reasons:

1. No doubt M800 is a great car, but its history now. There is no need to bring back an 800 cc model given the fact that Alto is doing well in that segment.
2. It is a known fact now that people are tilting towards Diesel hatchbacks, which all other manufacturers are offering. What is the point in launching another petrol hatch when the sales are going down drastically.

If common sense prevails, I am sorry, I find something amiss in this article.

Last edited by HorsPwr : 27th June 2012 at 00:42.
Old 27th June 2012, 14:05   #170
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti's new 800cc car to hit market later this year

This topic is already being discussed at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ge-7-a-10.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsPwr
I fail to understand the logic behind this move (if at all this news turns out to be true) for 2 reasons:

1. No doubt M800 is a great car, but its history now. There is no need to bring back an 800 cc model given the fact that Alto is doing well in that segment.
2. It is a known fact now that people are tilting towards Diesel hatchbacks, which all other manufacturers are offering. What is the point in launching another petrol hatch when the sales are going down drastically.

If common sense prevails, I am sorry, I find something amiss in this article.
It is a good thing to provide newer efficent options in the entry level, given the high price of petrol. Case in point is Hyundai coming out with an 800cc Eon - if you go back, this is the first time they are coming with a sub-1litre engine in all the years they have been in India.

Infact, this would be a great time to bring in the Kei cars with small engines (660cc), with smaller footprints (2-seaters for eg) which provide safe and cheap transportation for 1-2 people which is what is the usual occupancy in cities for work commute. I wish Suzuki would bring in their 2-seater Twin with the 660 cc engine.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 27th June 2012 at 14:28.
Old 28th June 2012, 14:00   #171
BHPian

More Picture of the "Alto 800", courtesy cardekho.com
1. The Figo front fused into an Alto

Well, the headlamp design seems to be borrowed from the A-star, doesn't it?

2. It has an A-star influence from B-pillar onwards. A U-shaped rear window for better visibility gets a

It is said in the article that it is a tallboy hatch - done in the interests of the back-seat enthusiasts.

IMO, the car has got a decent looking front and an ugly looking side and rear profile. But who cares - Its supposed to be priced 2.05 lacs. It would find many takers.

I'm not sure if sharing designs would have helped in achieving the savings in cost.

Last edited by dheepak10 : 28th June 2012 at 14:03. Reason: Pointing out the headlamp looks
dheepak10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 14:08   #172
Senior - BHPian

In my view this new car is not at all attractive from any view and exude no confidence at all, leave aside it becoming a classic which this is intended to replace, either it be the 800 or the Alto.
Understanding the mindset of Suzuki/Maruti design becomes more complex now.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 14:14   #173
Senior - BHPian

It is difficult to repeat a success. Even the greatest music composers or artists would have found it difficult to produce masterpieces one after the other.

Visually this car does not inspire awe factor or even some confidence. lets wait and see what the actual product will have to offer!
Old 28th June 2012, 14:52   #174
Senior - BHPian

Nice scoop with some nice pictures.
Personally, I find the car looking better than the Maruti 800 which is parked in front of my house. The white car above needs to be cleaned and wheel caps need to be added along with LHS ORVM.
I think this car will look much better with darker colors.
If this is priced below Alto, it will be a welcome change from Maruti.
Old 28th June 2012, 15:48   #175
Senior - BHPian

When I first saw the pictures, I thought it was a Ford developed small car. It does look like a shrunk Figo from the front. The side profile and rear are clearly inspired by the A-star. It looks more than decent, considering the price it is going to sell at.
Old 28th June 2012, 16:25   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Very strong Hyundai influence but man take a look at the front bumper, chrome strip grill and headlights. They look just like our Figo!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimoo View Post
Looks like a mashup of Fluidic design and Kinetic design. There are bits of Figo, i10 and i20 all around.
Definitely looks like a bigger and more expensive car than the Alto or 800.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Some A star-ish resemblance too. But not at all a crowd puller or eye catcher.
You all are correct.
First Ertiga and now this new 800 model, seems now they have started a mashup factory - MaShup India Ltd! Get all the parts from any make or model provided they can be manufactured or procured at a cheaper rate.
Assemble them!
Old 28th June 2012, 22:33   #177
Senior - BHPian

Front door at the top seems smaller in comparision to rear, ingress/egress for driver would be intresting, but looks like the same for rear passengers is really good.

The name M800 itself will generate lot of intrest, and its bound to be priced smartly.
This car has been developed for masses hence should be neutral in many aspects.

Last edited by silverado : 28th June 2012 at 22:37.
Old 28th June 2012, 23:19   #178
BANNED

Does this car use the Alto platform or A-Star platform? Seeing the width, I really hope it is A-Star's.
Old 29th June 2012, 11:26   #179
Senior - BHPian

The Eon is a good example of how a car can cost less yet be good-looking. From the front and sides it is amazing to look at. The rear is the odd part, but guess we can overlook it in the overall scheme of things. A good retort to the Eon would have been the classy looking Cervo which they could bring in by phasing out the Estilo (and even the A-Star if required). Instead they bring in this ugly contraption. And I don't really think anything they bring in will sell like some mentioned here. Because if that were the case, the Estilo and A-Star should be selling like hot cakes - instead they are the duds in the MSIL stable.
Old 29th June 2012, 11:34   #180
Senior - BHPian

I have one query:

Report says Maruti will start commercial production of this car from August and car will be launched in the month of October-November during festive season. Is that mean that Maruti will keep thousands of cars ready? So can we assume that first lot of customers don't have to wait for the car and it will be readily available to at least for first few thousands of the customers? If this is the case then i guess its a smart move
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks