Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2012, 00:25   #346
Senior - BHPian

re: New Maruti Alto 800. EDIT : CLEAR scoop pictures on Page 18 & 20 - Now Launched

Rear looks much better than A Star.
Will Maruti be bidding adieu to M800 now or that this will this be the 5th Alto in India being sold concurrently.
Old 8th October 2012, 01:18   #347
BHPian

re: New Maruti Alto 800. EDIT : CLEAR scoop pictures on Page 18 & 20 - Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Car looks smaller than Alto and the rear seat seems to be narrower than current alto IMO.
Right inference.
It's full-on 100mm or 10 cm smaller than current Alto F8D which measures 3495mm for it length, while the New Alto 800 measures 3395mm in length which is exactly same as Maruti 800.

But the new Alto 800 is slightly more wider than current Alto F8D.
Old 8th October 2012, 08:14   #348
BHPian

Proportions seem very wagon r'esque. I initially dint think it would be this tall, waiting for comments on interior space as compared to the F8D. The pricing remains to be revealed I suppose, let's see how it unfolds.
Old 8th October 2012, 08:39   #349
Senior - BHPian

I am planning for a small car next year and I had Estilo/K10 in my mind. Now, this also seems to be interesting. Let me wait for the pricing and the official review from T-BHP.
Old 8th October 2012, 10:40   #350
Senior - BHPian

Purely personal opinion:
This vehicle looks "old-ish" even before it has rolled onto the road. I have a feeling that this new alto 800 will age (in styling that is) pretty fast. I particularly dislike the way the bonnet-fender-A Pillar/wndscreen angle

The K-10 makeover was very nice as it kept things fuss free.

Small cars should be kept as simple as possible with the minimum of visual clutter.
Makes them look neat and desirable.
Examples of timeless, clutter-free design: Tata Nano, Original MINI, Original FIAT 500, VW Beetle, Citroen 2CV (in a quirky sort of way), Original 1st gen Ford Fiesta, VW Golf Mark-1, our very own 1st gen Suzuki SS-80 etc

Huge, hexagonal grilles, deep swage lines do not go well in small vehicles because they do not have the length to carry off the feature lines.

anyway i am sure maruti had done lots of research and has come up with this shape & silhouette after a lot of deliberation. wishing the new car all success

Last edited by arjab : 8th October 2012 at 10:46. Reason: corrected spelling mistakes
Old 8th October 2012, 10:43   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
It's full-on 100mm or 10 cm smaller than current Alto F8D which measures 3495mm for it length, while the New Alto 800 measures 3395mm in length which is exactly same as Maruti 800.
I don't think the 4-odd inches of shortage in overall length is a cause of concern. Most of the 100mm would have been in the bumpers and the front overhangs anyways.
I don't think the reduction in length will have an impact on interior space.
Old 8th October 2012, 11:23   #352
BHPian

suddenly, the Eon looks so classy!!
dunno why maruti had to bring in so many ridges into the car..the rear three quarter does not look good in my opinion. Could have kept it simple and straight!
Old 8th October 2012, 12:16   #353
BHPian

No offence meant, but this looks like a cross-breed of A-star and Wagon-R. The original Alto appears much better. Why does Maruti design cars that are neither simple nor radical?, but then people love Maruti like anything! Apart from Swift none of its designs are appealing, and even the Swift when it was launched originally was called "looks like a frog waiting to jump" by many people (including myself).
Old 8th October 2012, 14:14   #354
Senior - BHPian

Might be the case that she will look better in flesh than in the pics. But obvious comparisons of Alto with Hyundai Eon make Eon look better than new Alto.
Also, the interiors are not like its a quantum leap in design (not sure of the quality).
It will ultimately boil down to the price tag she will come with. Awaiting initial sales figures of this car as compared to Eon in the upcoming festival
Old 8th October 2012, 14:18   #355
BANNED

The more you see it, the more you get bored! Most Suzuki cars are exempted from this design disaster, but this one surely is not. Imo, Maruti has to retain the current Alto along with this 'Estiloished' Astar. The current Alto ha more decent ad matured look, but this one doesn't have that 'please all' appeal.
Old 8th October 2012, 16:17   #356
Senior - BHPian

The pics posted by romeomidhun on the previous page make the car look much better than how it looked in the previously posted spy-pics. Ofcourse that is just a comparitive reference - does not in any way make this a good-looking car by the widest imagination. Also to me the rear and side-profiles look very similar to the A-Star. The front is also A-Starish, but for the changed lights and the hexa-front. I would pick an A-Star any day over this contraption - quirky front the A* might have, but in totality it looks a better overall composition.
Old 8th October 2012, 16:18   #357
BHPian

Is it just me or is anyone else having a feeling that this is a remodelled Reliant Robin!??! I can't help but post these pictures for the sake of comparison!

P.S.: The first 2 images have been taken from deepgautam_qa's post on Pg 22.

C'mon Maruti / Suzuki. I know we are all keen on time travel but let's not do it with cars like these!
Old 8th October 2012, 16:48   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
Is it just me or is anyone else having a feeling that this is a remodelled Reliant Robin!??!

C'mon Maruti / Suzuki. I know we are all keen on time travel but let's not do it with cars like these!
I could not relate the two cars at all. Request you to educate and elaborate on what front the two are similar.

Regarding time travel, I guess you are talking about this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ver-world.html.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 18:23   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
Is it just me or is anyone else having a feeling that this is a remodelled Reliant Robin!??! I can't help but post these pictures for the sake of comparison!
You're not alone. It looks disgusting in all respects ! Like some half cooked premature piece of metal. Just compare it with the M-800's during the 85-90's. They look elite still. Looks like the Maruti / Suzuki's have borrowed the same gimmicks from the Tata's. This is very evident in its recent new model launch of the Ertiga (Elongated Wagon R / Alto ).

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th October 2012 at 20:03. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Old 8th October 2012, 19:32   #360
BHPian

When pitting against EON it should at least look decent as it is the best looking car in that segment, though new alto may sell in huge numbers it is one ugly car, loved the simple design of previous alto.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks