Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2011, 12:33   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: New Maruti 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I think it’s the 800 CC Alto facelift. Maruti has mentioned many times that they are not working on M800 and it will be phased out completely in few years. It's already not selling in Metro cities. It looks bigger than Alto so how they will position this one below Alto?
It may be powered by an 800cc motor, but it definitely isn't a face-lift, for two reasons:

- The Alto was recently given a face-lift (the Alto K10)

- A face-lift is determined by a fresher face and probably, a new back-end and a few new bits here and there, not to mention slightly fresher interiors. The Spy-photos indicate that the body-shell itself is new. It's more than 'just' a face-lift. This is a brand new car with a brand-new body-shell.
Old 24th July 2011, 13:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Tata had better pull up their socks. The Diesel Nano with EPS cannot come a day sooner. And let's not forget Hyundai's HA-800 lurking round the corner. Grapevine says its good and looks like a mini i-10 - which it is , will be no bad thing.
Looks like the war in the 800cc club is hotting up !
My Rupaya for that. This may be Maruti's answer to the Hyundai 800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
see if i were leading Maruti there are two things that I would havr in my wish list. This might be one of it
1. A 800 cc K series engine or
2. A 800 cc diesel engine.
Unless if its one of these two I dont think Indian customers will lap up just because its cheap.
Suzuki has a very good 600cc power plant and could be of use in this tarmac.

The K series has become more pronounced than its creator these days.
Old 24th July 2011, 16:03   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
BtB, why is the picture like a mirror image?
Yes, for placing the two cars side by side to compare the profiles, I just mirrored the Alto van!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The K series has become more pronounced than its creator these days.
I didn't get you point. K-series is Suzuki's own engine. It's the DDiS coming from FIAT.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 24th July 2011 at 16:06.
Old 24th July 2011, 17:36   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
It may be powered by an 800cc motor, but it definitely isn't a face-lift, for two reasons:

- The Alto was recently given a face-lift (the Alto K10)

- A face-lift is determined by a fresher face and probably, a new back-end and a few new bits here and there, not to mention slightly fresher interiors. The Spy-photos indicate that the body-shell itself is new. It's more than 'just' a face-lift. This is a brand new car with a brand-new body-shell.
+1.

Looks like Maruti have gone back to introduce a small car to take on the Nano and the upcoming Hyundai HA. Things should hot up in the entry-car segment once the HA and this sub-Alto Maruti get launched (2012 possibly?).

Nevertheless, next year should be very interesting for buyers in this segment.

Don't be surprised if they brand this one as "Cervo", Indian version. 660cc, anyone?
Old 24th July 2011, 19:54   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I didn't get you point. K-series is Suzuki's own engine. It's the DDiS coming from FIAT.
What I meant was that general public, with no serious knowledge on automobiles is so enthralled by the K series.
Any car with K series engines sells well in India today..
Old 24th July 2011, 20:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

800 was always a reliable car and we have experienced it since long. Once, it had even toppled over on head and spun around until it stopped but without much damage as such and could be driven on. 800 seems to be indeed in need of a changeover with the aging and the competition coming up with Nano and a small car being planned by Bajaj too. But unlike Nano, it was a tough car even on rough terrain (just an assumption from the feel of the Nano car, but not real experience with it). Whatever they do, they should retain its sturdity and reliability. This seems to be quite good upbringing to increase head and leg space from the looks of it and hopefully ingres/egres is eased a bit. As they are saying it is based on Alto platform, it must be helping these aspects. But got to price right to counter already growing Nanoites.

Last edited by parsh : 24th July 2011 at 20:53.
Old 24th July 2011, 21:10   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
800 was always a reliable car and we have experienced it since long. Once, it had even toppled over on head and spun around until it stopped but without much damage as such and could be driven on. 800 seems to be indeed in need of a changeover with the aging and the competition coming up with Nano and a small car being planned by Bajaj too. But unlike Nano, it was a tough car even on rough terrain (just an assumption from the feel of the Nano car, but not real experience with it). Whatever they do, they should retain its sturdity and reliability. This seems to be quite good upbringing to increase head and leg space from the looks of it and hopefully ingres/egres is eased a bit. As they are saying it is based on Alto platform, it must be helping these aspects. But got to price right to counter already growing Nanoites.
Even Nano is a sturdy car, its actually the communication tata used that went haywire. They should actually start promoting Nano as a reliable car if they want to get a hold of this segment.

As for Maruti, i feel the timing could not be better, the numbers, the 800 brand, the segment for below 2l car with disposable income, and the nano s communication gap. An ideal situation for a launch like this.

I hope they live upto the expectations of all of us who have at one point of time driven an 800.
Old 24th July 2011, 23:28   #38
BHPian

Instead of bringing a new 800, msil should right the wrong. reduce price of alto and a-star and re-design and re-brand them both as 800++ and alto successor.

This way msil could bowl a googly on the competition who are targeting alto feature for feature.
Old 25th July 2011, 12:31   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaks15 View Post
Even Nano is a sturdy car, its actually the communication tata used that went haywire.
As I said, it is from just the feel and not from actual experience. But have seen a couple of Nano's dented and the sheet metal easily damaged. On one Nano, the bonnet went in as a person was resting on it, the driver came, opened the bonnet and pushed it out, and there it was back into its shape again with a small ditch in between. Just that had highly sturdy and reliable first hand experience at 800 since ages. But Nano may be a good reliable car too.
Old 25th July 2011, 19:00   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
As I said, it is from just the feel and not from actual experience. But have seen a couple of Nano's dented and the sheet metal easily damaged. On one Nano, the bonnet went in as a person was resting on it, the driver came, opened the bonnet and pushed it out, and there it was back into its shape again with a small ditch in between. Just that had highly sturdy and reliable first hand experience at 800 since ages. But Nano may be a good reliable car too.
I guess any hood would dent depending on the size of the person on it

On a serious note I am not a die hard Nano fan but somehow I think that as ARAI certifies some standards for cars , every car must be following those, might be some are exceeding those standards by a very big margin but honestly i am amazed at the extreme reactions to Nano before and after launch due to poor communication. I actually feel bad for the team working behind Nano because the image of their vehicle is wrong even in the eyes of everyone.

BTW I also have a thing for Indianess in the Nano
Old 25th July 2011, 20:19   #41
Senior - BHPian

The August issue of Autocar has a photograph of the subject car and says that it would be priced at sub 2 lac and is derived from the Alto. The engine is derived from the same 796cc block but redone to even become Euro V compliant in 2015 and tuned for meeting the norms rather than performance and mated to a 5 speed box.

Who knows, if this could beat Alto at its turf.

Last edited by rajeev k : 25th July 2011 at 20:22.
Old 25th July 2011, 20:26   #42
BHPian

I am not convinced either like may of you guys here. This car surely looks bigger than Alto, how will it be priced below the Alto then, is my question. And when is it going to be launched is a big question too. I am going bonkers here, my grandpa needs a replacement of his 800 (which he has already sold) and he is looking at Alto Lxi, and also waiting for my approval but what do I tell him, I have no clue. Guys give me some good news here, really need it.
Old 25th July 2011, 20:27   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaks15 View Post
I guess any hood would dent depending on the size of the person on it

On a serious note I am not a die hard Nano fan but somehow I think that as ARAI certifies some standards for cars , every car must be following those, might be some are exceeding those standards by a very big margin but honestly i am amazed at the extreme reactions to Nano before and after launch due to poor communication. I actually feel bad for the team working behind Nano because the image of their vehicle is wrong even in the eyes of everyone.

BTW I also have a thing for Indianess in the Nano
Man, tell you what, every Indian product and upon that from Tata's stable are high in respect to me and Nano as well due to the respect to great Tata to live up to its promise and commitment and I admire it every time I see it rolling on roads. So also is M800 very close. Both have different perspectives and can show different virtues to different people. To everyone his/her own
Old 25th July 2011, 20:39   #44
BHPian

This looks very close to the scoop pic.

Google Images
Old 25th July 2011, 21:10   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
This looks very close to the scoop pic.

Google Images
No, this is not resembling the scoop pic. The google image is of the Cervo. The Autocar August issue carries an Autocar picture and it looks good to be an 800 replacement.

Last edited by rajeev k : 25th July 2011 at 21:11.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks