Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2011, 19:22   #61
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Maruti 800

If the aim is to be closer to nano in price, this just can't do it, it is similar to the Alto/Estillo and hence would in in that price band, what else can they remove from a base Alto.

The Top Nano in spec terms would beat this in pricing, as there is nothing about the body shape that indicates dramatic design to save on costs.

It just looks like an effort to retain M800 brand equity. The engine would be 800 cc is the name is going to be used.

It does look decent and would be safer than the M800 and even the Alto as it is a new design, but we need to wait and see what Suzuki really plans to do with it it terms of positioning.
Old 10th August 2011, 13:09   #62
BHPian

Re: New Maruti 800

News today in TOI

Maruti Suzuki engineers to develop new 800cc vehicle in India - The Times of India
Old 12th January 2012, 08:40   #63
BHPian

New Maruti model to replace 800, Alto

On today's Times Of India, there is a report that Maruti is working on a new model that is set to replace the M800 and Alto, in order to bring in a more contemporary and fuel efficient model.

Full Article:

New Maruti model to replace 800, Alto - The Times of India

Any comments/ideas?

PS. Mods kindly merge this if required, with an already existing thread, if any exists on this topic.
Old 12th January 2012, 09:22   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Maruti model to replace 800, Alto

I feel they should bring in the A-star in for the Alto. Alto can probably go a step down and take the place of the 800. The A-star as a product never really took off because of the jumbled up confused pricing. If properly positioned I feel its a great product.
Old 12th January 2012, 09:24   #65
BHPian

Everything happens for the better. I still love the M800 for its sheer simplicity and reliability but the company will have to move on - to more complex beasts. We will see an initial drop in old car prices before having an increase when the collectors move in for a piece for themselves.
Old 12th January 2012, 09:37   #66
BHPian

Knowing Maruti and their track record of milking products well past its sell-by date, it is highly unlikely that they will phase out the current Alto. I would be really, really surprised if they do. Even for Maruti 800, they were forced to discontinue it from major cities due to emission norms. If they had a choice, they would still be selling it side by side . A market leader needs to be more proactive, which, sadly, Maruti isn't. Just because a model sells, you don't keep producing it. Qualis sold really well, isn't it?

A quote from the article - need I say more?
Nakanishi, however, said that the AltoK10 (1000cc version of the Alto) would continue to sell in the market . "Who knows, we may also decide to continue with the Alto 800 and let the market take a call on its future."
SunilM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 09:38   #67
BHPian

The A-star is the Alto for international market.
So maybe they want to position A-star at Alto's place.

There have been some strong rumors about suzuki cervo as well. That is a possible candidate for the 800's position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I feel they should bring in the A-star in for the Alto. Alto can probably go a step down and take the place of the 800. The A-star as a product never really took off because of the jumbled up confused pricing. If properly positioned I feel its a great product.
Old 12th January 2012, 09:41   #68
BHPian

As said by the MD..."We will have to change".
Were they sleeping for so long?
I hope this "change" amounts to much more than head/tail lamp and front grill designs.
I think Maruti will be going for a sub 700 cc model - my instinct purely
Old 12th January 2012, 10:09   #69
Team-BHP Support

Could this : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2623089

be what he's talking about?

Unless this car has the exact specs as the Alto, I have a feeling they'll continue to sell the Alto alongside (both 800cc and K10). Probably something like Eon and Santro.
Old 12th January 2012, 10:13   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and the new model could be expected in the next two years.
If its coming in 2 years then it certainly wont be A-star. They could develop a new model from scratch in this time. Anyway the Alto is doing great numbers, I wonder why they give such an early announcement at this time.
Old 12th January 2012, 10:45   #71
BHPian

I guess we can see the same usual maruti strategy, that is, introduce the replacement without eliminating the model it replaces and then let the markets decide whether to let them co-exist or not. If the old alto keeps on selling more than 2,000 units p.m min, then there is no way they will replace the old alto. Also the timeline is set for 2 years so lets see what happens by then.

Whether the Alto will be replaced is a big unknown, but i guess its a certainty now that the M800 will be replaced once Bharat Stage V comes into effect in 2014-2015. This time line fits in perfectly with this replacement model mentioned in the article.
Old 12th January 2012, 10:53   #72
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Was quite amused as I crept into the news item this morning. Was quite concerned too, as the wife has a Alto-K10. From the begining of the item to the end it gave varied scenarios !
- We are going to chase out the Alto. (Panic)
- It'll, though, take about 2 years. (Interim relief)
- We are going to chase out only the Alto 800. (Cheer)
- Alto K10 will continue. (Louder cheer)
- Alto 800 may also continue. (Go back to the first line again to be sure you are reading the same news item from the same company !)

By and by it could be:
- Replacement for Alto ? Whoever told you that or whatever gave you that idea ? We were only discussing loudly whether we should rename the Alto, with everything else remaining the same, to reflect the changing demographics and focus on the youth - above 50 yrs of age !
Old 12th January 2012, 11:33   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi,
Was quite amused as I crept into the news item this morning. Was quite concerned too, as the wife has a Alto-K10. From the begining of the item to the end it gave varied scenarios !
- We are going to chase out the Alto. (Panic)
- It'll, though, take about 2 years. (Interim relief)
- We are going to chase out only the Alto 800. (Cheer)
- Alto K10 will continue. (Louder cheer)
- Alto 800 may also continue. (Go back to the first line again to be sure you are reading the same news item from the same company !)

By and by it could be:
- Replacement for Alto ? Whoever told you that or whatever gave you that idea ? We were only discussing loudly whether we should rename the Alto, with everything else remaining the same, to reflect the changing demographics and focus on the youth - above 50 yrs of age !
Well said. One thing for sure the present Alto + K10 sells nearly 25k units a month on an average. Read - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-analysis.html
Even with some erosion in numbers due to competition in the likes of Eon etc, it would be pure business sense to continue the Alto and its variants even if it sells 15-20k a month. So the question of Alto going out of the window does not arise in the near future unless there is a drastic dip in numbers sold.
One thing for sure is the grand 'Old' 800 will truly cease to roll out of the assembly line and there might be another 800cc/1000cc product rolled out afterall that may sell in parallel to the other line up and considering two duds (at least by Maruti standards) Estilo and A Star which both sell just around 2k units (just over 3% of total sales) a month should go out of the window replaced by a product which is more acceptable by our people.
Old 12th January 2012, 14:06   #74
Senior - BHPian

I am guessing A-Star to run well should actually have to be remodeled slightly, especially on the rear-end. Few changes can make it look a very good product.

Off-Topic: If I were MSIL, I would work on attaching a small boot to A-Star and sell it. Imagine, a car with a boot for indian mass which has this fascination towards sedans would do wonders to the car.
Old 12th January 2012, 14:33   #75
Senior - BHPian

Well I believe everything would depend on the engine powering the new car. Maruti is between the devil and deep sea here. They' can't manufacture the 660 cc engine here at a lower cost than the current 800cc F8D motor. The 800 cc Alto selling cheaper than a 660cc engined car doesn't make sense. Cost of production would be definitely higher than the Alto though. So everything would depend on the market dynamics 2 years from now. Who knows, they might just pull the curtains on the current Alto too, like they did to the old Swift.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks