Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2011, 21:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 20-30 lakh Quick Car Guide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I think that too goes over 30l.
I thought the base diesel was around 26 ex showroom. Should be under 30 on road unless you are in bangalore/mumbai.
Old 23rd July 2011, 21:30   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Under consideration:
1. Superb TSI MT - Almost perfect, let down by the looks and driving-a-limo feeling. Very comfortable with a.s.s and loved Skodas for their VFM factor.
2. Passat MT (when will it be launched?) - Extremely low on spec I imagine and need to see how good the MT is.
3. Passat AT - I might compromise the MT requirement as this car seems pretty balanced on all aspects. Don't like the black interiors that come with Highline so might have to settle for Comfortline. I called up the dealer for emailing me the quote and no response.

I hope my post is not off-topic. I would be happy to create a new thread if needed. Thanks.
Well to be honest, after the Laura only the Superb/Passat would feel like an upgrade. The 320d being to small, and since the Superb is eliminated by you, the Passat seems the only option. Or you could wait next month, for the new Jetta and the Laura RS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Yes, EPS isn't as good as HPS. Even the new Bimmers come with EPS and can't match the older ones. However, Passat's EPS is worse than others like Laura and Superb from reports ...
The Superb and Passat share quite a bit of the mechanical parts, I would presume the power steering too. Also when I drove the Passat I found it very similar to the Superbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I thought the base diesel was around 26 ex showroom. Should be under 30 on road unless you are in bangalore/mumbai.
I think the ex-showroom is more like 28l, with the top of the line diesel at 33l. I've made this whole list going by on road prices, and the S60 would be well over 30l.
Old 23rd July 2011, 22:47   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Superb and Passat share quite a bit of the mechanical parts, I would presume the power steering too. Also when I drove the Passat I found it very similar to the Superbs.
NO, the steering is different in both these cars, Superb has better steering.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2011, 02:29   #19
dot
Senior - BHPian

No doubt that in this segment the Passat currently rules, due to its all-round abilities, however the dark horse is the Camry. I am a big fan of the Camry due its smooth running characteristics. In India, its price is the most unfortunate letdown.
I am not a big fan of the latest Accord. The dash layout is weak. The previous gen had a whole lot more mean character.

BMW 3 and Merc C are much smaller cars than rest of the cars in the list, they make an appearance simply due to their brand value. A4 is probably a better choice. But all these three cars will probably top the price range anyways.
Old 25th July 2011, 10:54   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
No doubt that in this segment the Passat currently rules, due to its all-round abilities, however the dark horse is the Camry. I am a big fan of the Camry due its smooth running characteristics. In India, its price is the most unfortunate letdown.
I am not a big fan of the latest Accord. The dash layout is weak. The previous gen had a whole lot more mean character.
The Camry certainly is a very good car. Smooth, comfortable and the only car I've seen with ac controls on the steering wheel. But now I think the Teana is better when it comes to comfort, and there are many which are better when it comes to driving. If Toyota reduces the price I'm sure they can still sell a couple.

BMW 3 and Merc C are much smaller cars than rest of the cars in the list, they make an appearance simply due to their brand value. A4 is probably a better choice. But all these three cars will probably top the price range anyways.
The 320d CE and the Merc c220 work out a shade under 30l on road. Possibly the A4 1.8t. Ill find out about that. But I still feel the Passat is better VFM unless someone wants the badge.
My replies above in bold.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 11:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

A great thread there, Akshay. The "What to buy" question, has been more or less answered here.
Agree to what @Dot says. The Camry is surely a dark horse in this segment. So is the Teana. Now, only if Nissan and Toyota work around the pricing (not that its their fault), or rather start assembling them here, thereby getting its prices down, these two would give Skoda, VW and BMW a run for their money for sure.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 20:00   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
A great thread there, Akshay. The "What to buy" question, has been more or less answered here.
Agree to what @Dot says. The Camry is surely a dark horse in this segment. So is the Teana. Now, only if Nissan and Toyota work around the pricing (not that its their fault), or rather start assembling them here, thereby getting its prices down, these two would give Skoda, VW and BMW a run for their money for sure.
Camry is indeed a good car. But, a dark horse in this segment? I guess the right definition will be of a reliable workhorse. If priced right, it can give some competition to the likes of Passat and Superb with its reliability factor. IMHO, it’s no way close to give BMW a run for money. They are trying with Lexus though

Note: I guess you are good with your original choices of Passat & Superb
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 21:31   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
...205bhp Volvo S60...
Quote:
I think that too goes over 30l.
Volvo S60 is quoted at 36.8L OTR in Delhi.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 10:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
IMHO, it’s no way close to give BMW a run for money. They are trying with Lexus though

Note: I guess you are good with your original choices of Passat & Superb
Yeah, you are right. It wasnt right to assume that Camry would give BMW a run for their money. Completely forgot that they have the Lexus for that.

And yeah, I suppose, its safe to assume that the original choices are the ones that have been finalised.
Old 26th July 2011, 11:05   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Volvo S60 is quoted at 36.8L OTR in Delhi.
They also have the Kinetic version (lower spec) for around 30L.

Quote:
Yeah, you are right. It wasnt right to assume that Camry would give BMW a run for their money. Completely forgot that they have the Lexus for that.
Lexus somehow does not have the snob value of BMW, AUDI, Mercedes & Volvo.
Old 26th July 2011, 11:12   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
They also have the Kinetic version (lower spec) for around 30L.
Are you sure? Volvo dealer Kashyap at Delhi did not mention anything like that. Will check again.
Old 26th July 2011, 11:17   #27
Team-BHP Support

Re volvo - When I checked in mumbai I think the lowest spec diesel version was quoted on road around 34 lakhs. The salesperson was not too forthcoming though and I don't have a formal quotation but the price seems to be in line with what I expected to hear.

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th July 2011 at 11:30.
Old 26th July 2011, 11:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Lexus somehow does not have the snob value of BMW, AUDI, Mercedes & Volvo.
True. Snob value isnt that great with the Lexus (in India), but then, coming from Toyota, its at least a stable car compared to the Bimmers & Mercs (of today).
Old 28th July 2011, 10:17   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
True. Snob value isnt that great with the Lexus (in India), but then, coming from Toyota, its at least a stable car compared to the Bimmers & Mercs (of today).
I think Lexus is pretty close to the German trio when it comes to image. Even the public knows about it, because there are so many politicians who travel around in landcruisers/lexus.

In places like the US it is equivalent to BMW, Mercedes and Audi.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 10:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

Akshay, thats correct. Thats the reason why, I mentioned in India in brackets. Lexus still needs to catch up on the snob value that a Merc or Bimmer get here in India.

Most Viewed