Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2011, 17:12   #16
BHPian

Re: Ford says “Namaste Gujarat"! Announces Manufacturing and Engine plant in GJ

Kudos to NM and GJ. Well done!
MH is way behind in pro-active administration. Pune-Mumbai industrial belt is losing its sheen because of pathetic Infra. Hinjewadi is a classic example. MH politicos are only pro-active in putting their plastic smiles on hoardings all across the city.
C300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 17:47   #17
BHPian

Wherever it opens, its good for the country as a whole and for us car lovers.
Am sure in the next 2-3 years we'll have the biggies like merc,bmw manufacturing cars very soon
Old 28th July 2011, 18:04   #18
Team-BHP Support

This is good news; glad there's a proactive CM somewhere in India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post
The other Indian city that I think comes close is Poona with Tata, Bajaj, Kinetic (now Mahindra), etc.
How do you forget Mercedes Benz?! It's located in Chakan; some distance from Pune.

Pune also has quite some auto-allied industries.
Old 28th July 2011, 18:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 29th July 2011 at 19:04. Reason: Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread.
Old 28th July 2011, 18:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

I read this -felt great as an Indian - but sad as a Bengali. Things could have been so different if the nano plant came up in Singur.
Old 28th July 2011, 18:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
politicos are only pro-active in putting their plastic smiles on hoardings all across the city.
Actually, a couple of small and medium sized industrialists I know are already shifting some of their manufacturing to Rajkot and other areas. They say the extortion trouble in MH is much widespread than is reported.
Kudos to the people of Gujarat and NM !
Old 28th July 2011, 19:22   #22
BHPian

Now you know why we keep electing Mr Modi again and again At least he gives his best amidst all adversities. I am happy that Ford cars may cost a little less in Gujarat!

Quote:

Yup, you are missing the Asian Motor Works truck manufacturing facility in Bhuj -

Integrated Manufacturing at AMW: Maximising fast deliveries and world-class quality. | Asia MotorWorks
Bombardier also has plant in Gujarat (Nr. Baroda), just to add to the list. I now they are not a car company per se, but it is a transport company with big presence in Aircraft and Railways.

Quote:
Detroit is a city and Gujarat is a state - so comparisons are unfair. If any city has to come close then I believe that it's Madras that still holds the sway over other cities in India with respect to automobile manufacturers.
The other Indian city that I think comes close is Poona with Tata, Bajaj, Kinetic (now Mahindra), etc.
Agree with both points. Ahmedabad/Gujarat has a very long way to go. Chennai undoubtedly takes the top spot in India followed by Pune.

Last edited by SunilM : 28th July 2011 at 19:30.
Old 28th July 2011, 20:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Oh great! Ford seems to be really interested in our market! Hope that the Fiesta would be the last of the 8 new models before mid decade, that would be priced optimistically though
Old 28th July 2011, 22:28   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I read this -felt great as an Indian - but sad as a Bengali. Things could have been so different if the nano plant came up in Singur.
I quite agree and feel the same. Things would have been much much different if Singur had seen the light of the day.

Wild imagination - Singur at one end and Hind Motor at the other - a great auto-engineering economy working away employing thousands of folks from all over.

As I mentioned earlier, only if wishes were horses. Sigh!
Old 29th July 2011, 11:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Detroit is a city and Gujarat is a state - so comparisons are unfair. If any city has to come close then I believe that it's Madras that still holds the sway over other cities in India with respect to automobile manufacturers.

The following auto plants are Madras-based -

Hyundai Motor Company :: About Hyundai Motor India Ltd.

Ford India - Contact Us

Chennai Car Plant (CCP) - Thiruvallur*

Automotive Manufacturing Plant | Automotive Assembly Plant

http://www.nissan.in/en/web/nscuploa...oter_11541.htm

Renault Customer Service Centre, Renault Car Service Centre, Renault Car Service Centers in India.

Tafe:: corporate

Not sure, but I may have missed out some others.

Apart from the above, you also have the huge Integrated Coach Factory (Railway works) at Perambur in Madras. All this says a lot about the existing auto-economy of the southern city. And if you consider the number of people associated with this auto-engineering economy, then I believe Madras far exceeds Detroit.

Ford's new plant in GJ is a good news to hear & clearly shows how Ford is eyeing the Indian market post the financial crisis of 2009. But, definitely, GJ has a long long way to catch up with Chennai. In fact, there's also a Daimler plant in Oragadam, Chennai in addition to all those mentioned here. Apart from the OEMs, there are numerous Tier 1 & Tier 2 suppliers - Visteon, Wheels India, Brakes India, Rane to name a few.

As an ex-employee of Ford, I'm totally delighted . It was such a nice place to start my career and those were the days when we worked pretty hard to lauch the Fiesta!

Last edited by vw19d : 29th July 2011 at 11:24.
Old 29th July 2011, 11:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

After the Gujarat riots, Narendra Modi has worked hard to shed his Hindutva image and tried to make amends by focussing on the growth and prosperity factor.
I think he has done good, to come out of that ghastly event. And inspite of such a background, his election again as Chief Minister of Gujarat only shows that people trust him, that his amends and effort to create a new vibrant Gujarat is honest.
But what a contrasting picture the BJP leadership of Karnataka & Gujarat presents.Bangalore is going down the drains.
Great work NM and keep it up. And I hope all manufacturers achieve good level of localisation to give us competitively priced cars. Looking forward to those times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post
As an ex-employee of Ford, I'm totally delighted . It was such a nice place to start my career and those were the days when we worked pretty hard to lauch the Fiesta!
I recon now you are a Volkswagen employee ?
Old 29th July 2011, 11:40   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post

I recon now you are a Volkswagen employee ?
Haha!! No mate, switched field. Own a VW & hence my handle
Old 29th July 2011, 19:08   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If any city has to come close then I believe that it's Madras that still holds the sway over other cities in India with respect to automobile manufacturers.
We have a lovely thread on the topic in case you want to read some more : Chennai, the Detroit of India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Things could have been so different if the nano plant came up in Singur.
Conversely, things will be so different now that Nano production moved out of WB. No auto manufacturer is going to come anywhere close.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 08:29   #29
BHPian

The difference I see in Gujarat is the ability and speed of execution of the plans. Grand plans are announced by politicians in every state, but most just stay on paper. Earlier this year I was traveling in a tribal area in Gujarat, and the quality of the road surface(this was a district road-not even a state highway), was an order of magnitude better than most of Bangalore city roads. 15 Years ago when I was studying at Ahmedabad, I remember in 2 years we had just one power cut, having stayed in Gurgaon and Bangalore since then, I have suffered from regular load shedding due to power shortage, a few drops of rain or gusts of wind are enough to cause an outage lasting hours.For Industry it is much worse--contrast this with Gujrat where the state is willing to sign a Legal power supply agreement guaranteeing power availability at the sanctioned load, with penalties if the delivery is not done.
Old 30th July 2011, 20:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

At the rate Gujarat is courting the automobile industry, it is a matter of time before it reels in Chennai and Haryana and then opens up a lead. Businessmen now know that Gujarat means business. Decision-making is fast and on sound basis, infrastructure is great, industrial relations are good.

With their frequent strikes and labour unrest, Haryana and Tamil Nadu are losing out to other locations like Gujarat.

However, with the way Ford has priced the new Fiesta, they will have their task cut out to utilise the capacity of the plant once it is set up. I hope they wake up and smell the coffee.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks