Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2011, 17:42   #31
BHPian

Re: What can we do to keep pollution in check?

Great topic! Thanks oxygen for starting this discussion.

A lot of great suggestions have been already made here. I have a few as well.

I travel (car pool) weekly once from my work place to my home town (distance of 140 Kms one way). It takes around 2 hours to cover this distance when driven sedately, after around 10 PM, and my diesel car gives a handsome 21 kmpl. But at the same time, if I drive in day time, the time taken shoots up to 3.5 - 4 hours and the FE drops to figures close to 16 kmpl. Of these additional hours I spend on road, at least more than half the time is spent on tricky situations created by undisciplined drivers and NOT the number of vehicles / infrastructure - I have to apply the brakes at least 3 times more, accelerate that many number of times, less peace of mind, close to 2.1 ltrs of extra fuel burnt, higher probability of accidents.

So many examples of this indiscipline can be listed here, straight from people driving cars / bikes with a mobile in one hand, to vehicles coming from opposite direction on a divided highway!

Is there anything that people like us can do about this? For example, I often stop by and try to "educate" people why one should not use the mobile while driving, why one should give the right of way to Ambulances, etc. But unfortunately most of the times I end up getting an earful from them. :-) That doesn't work.
Old 1st August 2011, 21:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

^^
What a similar co-incidence. My dad goes to office an hour before just to avoid the traffic.
It not only helps in better Fe and reduction in pollution but also gives a peace of mind (about traveling safely). The joy of avoiding the contested traffic is also unparallel.

Those who have flexible timing for office must adopt these.
Old 1st August 2011, 23:52   #33
BHPian

My office is less than 10kms but cycling is out of question because of the terrain. The ups and down would sap out the energy in you. Since my company bus is not going to pick me and also since I am not living in a bus route I have to use my car.
  • I try and give lift to atleast 2-3 people from my vicinity to my office area.
  • Regular servicing of the car
  • Use of AC only when it is hot ( I used to have 100% AC on my car. Now less than 50% since it is monsoons here)
  • I do not over rev when my engine is cold (waiting for my cat con to heat up)
  • When I enter my parked car I do not switch on the AC at once. I drive with open windows for few minutes and then turn on the AC.
  • When I am chilled (which happens quite often on the Figo) I switch off AC.
  • The tyres are inflated to correct pressure and I ensure this every time I visit a gas station.

Now on that
Will nitrogen in the tyres improve efficiency and reduce the pollution ?
Old 3rd August 2011, 23:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Now on that
Will nitrogen in the tyres improve efficiency and reduce the pollution ?
I dont see any logic behind improvement in FE with nitrogen filling. Air contains 78% nitrogen. Can an extra 20% Nitrogen bring any significant change?
Old 4th August 2011, 09:09   #35
BHPian

As per a leading business channel, Govt is considering excise duty hike on diesel run cars between 20k to 50k depending on the size of the car.

I assume size would mean engine capacity. Is this the govt way of curbing diesel usage or a mere gimmick to encash of the consumer fervor of the season?
Old 4th August 2011, 09:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

I can say i do my bit by working from home twice a week
Although my main intention of doing so is saving on fuel cost and the aggravation of driving 25 kms through the city one way, i can also claim that i am doing my bit to "save the environment"
Oh and i dont eat beef either
(unless I am visiting US, that is)
Old 4th August 2011, 12:28   #37
Senior - BHPian

Make work from home mandatory - unless you are at an office where you have customer's piling in daily and you have to interact with them face to face.

This will reduce at least 30-50% of the "office hours" traffic.
Old 4th August 2011, 12:49   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Make work from home mandatory
Good idea but you'll be surprised at the insecurities that tumble out from both managers as well as team members with such a proposal.
Old 4th August 2011, 14:37   #39

Excellent topic and quite relevant too, especially in rapidly growing cities.

Apart from the very obvious suggestion of
- not burning fuel at all (cycling, walking etc.)
- burning lesser fuel (car-pooling)
i did not see any pointers of burning whatever fuel we are burning more efficiently {for the lack of a better word} leading to:
- extracting more kms per litre
- lesser harmful emissions (due to lesser charge [air + fuel] being wasted)

With regards to my thoughts above, my 2 cents for this topic would be to GROOVE your car/bike.
How this helps in simple terms would be as follows (as per my understanding):
- Grooving creates more turbulence in the charge inside the cylinder
- The additional turbulence (probably combined with advance in timing and better flame front propogation) leads to better combustion and reduction of the amount of charge wasted and expelled as exhaust fumes.
More details on (SOMENDER-SINGH.com - My Thinking).

Disclaimer - Though I have my car Grooved by Mr.Somender Singh, please note I stand no commercial gain advertizing this, but I am obliged to put this on a public forum due to the benefits it promises. I am yet to get an emissions check done on my car, will do so pretty soon and post the results.
Old 4th August 2011, 15:33   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
From the same article:

There is a very simple way to avoid the same.
Change your work timings.
On a lighter note, If i were to ask my Manager for a change in Work Timings, My Appraisal is screwed for minimum 5 years. In my industry, even if we meet with an accident, we are expected to give a notice period and then meet with an accident .
Old 4th August 2011, 16:12   #41
Senior - BHPian

I agree that we must reduce the polution but there are some practical problems that I face in my life. Kindly share thoughts and similar experiences.

These questions are for people working out of India only. The West is much better equipped in terms of Green Handling.

Cycling to Office - There is no "Bath" facility in Office and it would sweat and stink if i cycle to work. I would definetly need a shower. If i ask my Office Admin for a "cycle Pass" the first reaction would be to show his teeth. Then he would say that he would discuss with his manager and get back. I am sure for a handful of employees no company would arrange Cycle Parking.

Car Pooling: As someone pointed out, Timings especially in IT Industry are not predictable and depending on the car owner / depend on others are not practical. People would say "2-mins" and come 20 mins late. I personally dont like to wait and i may have problems like nowhere to Park, beat the traffic etc, which the other person may not understand / fore-see.

Flexible Work timings:
At least in IT Industry, If I ask my Manager for change in Work Timings, and tell him this is for Nature and am trying to save the environment, Others in IT Industry can comment on the chain reaction to Follow. My Manager would definetly not encourage working from home / Working outside peak hours and by pressing to do so i will burn up my rapport with him and will ultimately end up screwing my chances of growth. I Frankly dont want to screw my career and contribute to the environment. I am not Ghandhiji type.

Electric Car / Bike to Work:

It takes too much time in this fast world to charge a bike / car. we are talking 8 hrs. Sometimes, i dont have 6 hours from the time i reach home from work and i leave to work the next day. In Petrol, i buy petrol fill it up and forget it. it is "MY" Petrol. If in Office, I would have to depend on Office to provide me electricity to charge the vehicle, which is a cost, which will be billed to my account and my manager will not be happy with me, there-by hitting my appraisals.

Govt Electricity Board
EBs in at least Tamil Nadu are not dependable. there are so many Power cuts and outages and whole-day maintenances etc, so using a electric car / bike will be impractical.

Road Tax and Registration
There must be zero Tax on a Green Car (Reva / Yo Bikes). It must be just Ex-showroom price + Insurance. All Road Tax, Cess, Surcharges / Tax / VAT should be exempted for Electric Vehicles

A Foolish suggestion
Give Income-Tax Exemption for those who buy an electric Vehicle

Last edited by scopriobharath : 4th August 2011 at 16:19.
Old 4th August 2011, 19:15   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girileo81 View Post
With regards to my thoughts above, my 2 cents for this topic would be to GROOVE your car/bike.
How this helps in simple terms would be as follows (as per my understanding):
- Grooving creates more turbulence in the charge inside the cylinder
- The additional turbulence (probably combined with advance in timing and better flame front propogation) leads to better combustion and reduction of the amount of charge wasted and expelled as exhaust fumes.
More details on (SOMENDER-SINGH.com - My Thinking).
Similar technique is employed in Chevy Beat. It is port de-activation. Out of the 2 intake valves per cylinder, 1 is blocked during low intake pressure or light accelerator input. So all the air comes in through one valve only creating more turbulence. No idea if there is any practical benefit, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Give Income-Tax Exemption for those who buy an electric Vehicle
A great suggestion. But what if I buy it and dump it in the garage.
Alternate solution: road tax/toll tax/should be exempted and insurance should be free.
Old 4th August 2011, 19:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girileo81 View Post
I am yet to get an emissions check done on my car, will do so pretty soon and post the results.
Please do. I am very interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Alternate solution: road tax/toll tax/should be exempted and insurance should be free.
Exempting road tax would be good. It's not that you can travel around a lot in an electric car given their range. Toll shouldn't be a problem. You probably won't be not taking that car on a highway - either you be too slow and a dangerous to yourself or you will travel half the range.
Old 4th August 2011, 19:37   #44
Senior - BHPian

1) Improve infrastructure - build roads where needed most. Improve quality of road.
2) Get vehicles regularly serviced, PCC done.
3) Introduce super efficient transport system.
4) Work from home, car pooling etc which is too much too ask for.
Old 4th August 2011, 20:34   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post

A great suggestion. But what if I buy it and dump it in the garage.
Ha ha !! Good one. the percentage of people who would dump 3 lacs in thier garage are very few. At least i would not dump 1 lac in the garage given my current salary structure. The person dumping 3 lacs in a garage will have an income of atleast 15 lacs per month or more. For him, Reva is a peanut. He will be better off in a Prius or Rather import a Cadlillac Escalade Hybrid and use it.

I hear (Not sure) there is some tax exception / Benefit in USA for hybrids but not sure as i have not purchased a car in the USA. I read in some paper or magazine that People who wanted Civic Hybrid or Prius are driven away by the Huge cost. Govt should encourage people to buy a Hybrid (At the very Least) by introducing some special Benefits like No Road Tax or one state registration would be good enough to drive in any state (As long as you wish) etc.

In IT Industry, I am expected to bring in some Automation / Cost Saving / Value Add / Benefit for the customer that i work for. The same can be mandated by the Govt for Auto Makers that there must be some "Green" Element in thier Vehicles.

Example - M&M's Micro hybrid Technology must be Mandated in all models of Scorpio (Basic to Top 4X4 auto) for a start and then the same must trickle down to Bolero, Xylo, Verito, Thar etc. There is no rocket science involved and it should push prices maximum by 10,000 Rs/-, which is a small price to pay when you save nature.

Adding to the above, there must not be a way to switch off the micro hybrid system. then people would start buying the vehicle for its benefit and then turn off the micro hybrid and use it normally. This is the way to "enforce" the rule.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 4th August 2011 at 20:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks